| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Fine Cheese Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:56 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

This is a place to discuss all of the wonderful vegan cheeses that are available these days! So what have you tried recently? What's on your wish-list? What are your favorite pairings? You can also talk about cheeses you've made!

I just bought a tub of the Parmela Cultured Cashew - Black Pepper. Its also available in olive and regular. I tried it first with crackers and while I didn't think there was anything bad about it, I thought it was really mild. I wasn't into it as the star of the show, but today I ate it on a sandwich for lunch and thought it was great! I also think it would be great on a bagel or an Isa Does It beet burger.

I tried the Door 86 Brie at Portobello a few weeks ago and loved it. I hope I can buy some at a store around here sometime soon.

I've been eyeing the Brietopia at Food Fight. I really want to try it soon!

Post subject: Re: The Fine Cheese Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:38 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm so in love with Treeline's hard cheeses. I eat them on saltines and it reminds me of after-school cheddar-and-cracker snacks from when I was a kid.

I wish we'd get the Parmela cheeses in at Vegan Haven. I don't know about Brietopia, but I am intrigued!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:46 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Treeline is for sure my favorite! I feel really lucky that I have pretty easy access to it. It's nice to be able to get a special cheese treat. I tried kite hill white alder and did not like it. The flavor was good, texture was awful and it made my throat burn, which also happened to a friend I shared it with. So weird.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:10 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Oops, I meant Vtopian Brie. Though, Brietopia sounds like a place I sure want to go to.

I tried the soft Treeline in NY and it was soooo lemony. Are the hard cheeses less sour?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:16 pm 

Yeah, the hard cheeses are definitely less tangy. There's no lemon in any of them, but I know what you mean. I prefer the cracked pepper hard cheese. Plus, the owner is so nice, so that makes me want to buy it more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The Treeline hard cheeses aren't sour. They have a nice, aged cheese kind of tang, but not lemony or sour at all.

I talked about this in another thread, but I really liked Kite Hill's Cassucio. It's very mild but reminds me of fresh mozzarella. It made a fantastic caprese salad, and when we put it on crackers, even omnivores ate it up all greedy-like.

I'm so impatient to try more of the newer brands. Food Fight gets stuff so much sooner than we do in Seattle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I loved the kite hill white alder! The texture was spot on cheesey for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:44 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

We get the Treeline soft cheeses at the HFS and they're so tangy that I really don't like them. I wish we got the hard ones! That's the only fancy cheese we get, everything else is the usual.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I tried kite hill white alder and did not like it. The flavor was good, texture was awful and it made my throat burn, which also happened to a friend I shared it with. So weird.

This is exactly what happened to me when I tried it. Did you pick yours up at an NYC Whole Foods? I wonder if there's a storage issue there that's causing this because everyone else seems to love it!

My fave fancy vegan cheese has to be Punk Rawk Labs, I can't remember which one it was off of the top of my head but it was freaking delicious!

I think Vegusto also counts as fancy, I love the piquant and melty versions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:02 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Alright, I'll definitely give the hard Treeline a shot!

I still haven't tried any of the Kite Hill. The reviews have been so mixed that I'm scared.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:57 pm 

Good god you guys are so lucky. It seems like all my local stores have just decided that Daiya has the monopoly, so although you do see rows and rows of different Daiya cheese, I don't like even one of them! I am thrilled if I find some FYH, and I even bought tofutti singles the other day. But those are *not* fine cheeses by any stretch of the imagination.

I want to try Kite Hill!! And I want a constant supply of Vegusto and Cheezly. When I lived in SF I really liked making the occasional huge splurge on Dr. Cow, so I suspect I like the raw ones, even though I don't normally go for the rawkin-type products.

I have AVC and I make Terry's chive cheese from VEW every so often but I honestly seem to have lost the patience for the really good cheeses that I know I totally love but are just so time consuming.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:28 pm 

jojo wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
I tried kite hill white alder and did not like it. The flavor was good, texture was awful and it made my throat burn, which also happened to a friend I shared it with. So weird.

This is exactly what happened to me when I tried it. Did you pick yours up at an NYC Whole Foods? I wonder if there's a storage issue there that's causing this because everyone else seems to love it!

My fave fancy vegan cheese has to be Punk Rawk Labs, I can't remember which one it was off of the top of my head but it was freaking delicious!

I think Vegusto also counts as fancy, I love the piquant and melty versions.

I got mine at a whole foods in Richmond, VA, so I don't know what the issue was!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:18 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

We got samples of the Parmela soft cheeses in at Vegan Haven this week, so I got to sample them today. I really like them. The plain one reminds of something that I ate as an omni, but I can't quite put my finger on what. Still, I'd buy them if we got them in.

I wish we could get Vegusto! And I miss Cheezly so much. I'd pay so many dollars to have it again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:50 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If anyone is interested: :)

http://door86vegancheese.wix.com/door-86-vegan-cheese
https://squareup.com/market/door-86-vegan-cheese

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

Cheezly is my "go to" readily available cheese, but I don't think I'd call it fine. I like the Vegusto piquant and mild aromatic for a treat. I also like this stuff called Mozzarisella to put on pizza, but haven't ordered it in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:32 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Daphne wrote:

I hope it will be available at more places in Portland soon!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I hope so too!! Portland seems to love us...working on some outlets! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:48 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I finally tried two of the the Vtopian cheeses - the Sundried Tomato and Peppercorn Brie. They were pretty mild and very buttery. I liked it! I tend to prefer very strong flavors, but this has been my favorite mellow cheese I've tried. I'm still hoping to try some of the cheddars.

I also recently sampled a few of the Ahimsa Organics Artisan Vegan Cheese, which is a company based in Portland. They were amazing. The jalapeño cream cheese was so great.

Oh, and I did finally get to try the hard Treeline, which I loved. It reminded me of Dr. Cow, but I haven't been able to find that brand in forever. I did eat one of the soft cheeses again, and while it was still really lemony it has definitely grown on me. I think it's really suited for pairing with a few different items, rather than just on a cracker or piece of bread by itself.

And in other cheese related news, I'm really looking forward to Miyoko's new company. I hope it will be available outside of the bay area.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:41 am 
Nooch of Earl

Quail wrote:
Cheezly is my "go to" readily available cheese, but I don't think I'd call it fine. I like the Vegusto piquant and mild aromatic for a treat. I also like this stuff called Mozzarisella to put on pizza, but haven't ordered it in a while.

We bought some Mozzarisella here a couple weeks ago and I've really been enjoying it! Used it to make delicious caprese panini yesterday. It melts reasonably well but has a really good taste, which…daiya mozz does not. I will definitely be buying it again and experimenting a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:50 pm 
Saggy Butt

Dr. Cow's cashew cheese makes me a very happy vegan :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:16 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

It probably isn't the cheapest method, but you can order the cheeses online if they don't have them in your city right? I've never tried it so not sure what is too far for it to stay fresh, but there are stores like Rabbit Food that ship:
http://www.rabbitfoodgrocery.com/catego ... =24&page=1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:39 am 
WRETCHED

I just wanted to revive this thread to say that I found the Kite hill white alder and cassucio at our Whole Foods. I like the white alder, it seems like the perfect cheese and cracker cheese. The cassucio tasted like nothing to me. I guess the white alder isn't a strong flavor either but I liked it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:50 am 
ugh

I like all the Kite Hill flavors, though the fresh ones are too mild for me to eat with anything else while still being able to taste them - maybe crackers. I'm bummed that although they are exclusive to all Whole Foods, not all Whole Foods really carry them. I asked about them at my local stop and they said they tried carrying the brand once, it didn't sell well so they won't order it again. :( I hope I'll still be able to find it in Boston proper.

I'm so jealous of all the kinds you have in Portland, I was just gaping at the shelves in Food Fight when I visited! Only allowed myself to purchase one flavor, one of the Treelines, it was very similar to the cashew cream cheese in Artisan Vegan Cheese. I also got a sliver of brie at Portbello (Vtopian? not sure) and that was delicious!

Still waiting on my Kickstarter order from Door 86, but with the problems Daphne has been having I'm not sure I'll ever see them. I don't envy her right now.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:56 am 
WRETCHED

I didn't care for the other Kite hill soft cheeses when I tried them. I think some of the other stores carry them (not Whole Foods). I can see myself buying the white alder every once in a while though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:21 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm another one drowned under Daiya and not liking it.

But I love simple home-made cheeses. My favorites are:
- Macadamia Brie from "The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions"
- Inger's Norwegian Caraway Cheese Spread from "Virgin Vegan"