| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Converting seitan recipes from simmering to baking?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:52 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hoping more experienced seitan makers can help me with this. I've been sticking to a really short list of seitan recipes because I've never been successful at maintaining a simmer on my stovetop (it moves very quickly from a full boil to doing nothing at all and back again), but I keep seeing recipes I really want to try. I'm wondering if it would be easy to adapt a recipe that calls for simmering to work in the oven? Right now I'm eyeballing the Smoky Seitan Roast from Vegan Diner, for example.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Converting seitan recipes from simmering to baking?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:08 pm 
Chard Martyr

you can change the cooking method for pretty much any seitan recipe. I think vegan dad has some baked seitan recipes that you could follow the instructions for. personally, I prefer steamed seitan and I believe vegan diner has instructions for steamed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:42 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I've given up on simmering too. When I want to make a simmered seitan recipe I make it in my crock pot on high and increase the cooking time by lots. Sorry, I can't say exactly by how much, just till it looks and feels done. There is no danger of it reaching a boil in the crock pot. Baked seitan is good, but steamed is my favorite. There are some good steamed seitan recipes in Terry's books: Viva Vegan and Vegan Eats World. You can also look up Juli Hasson's steamed Italian Sausage recipe at evertydaydish.tv.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:36 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks, guys! I have a crockpot but somehow that never occurred to me before. That's probably the perfect solution! Will definitely check out the Vegan Dad recipes...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:25 pm 
Semen Strong

I find the steamed ones ridiculously easy, and I am a completely shitty and lazy cook who can't be arsed to manage a simmer. So maybe that would be worth a try? They come together so easily and are delicious and very versatile.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jullie gives alternate steaming instructions for the smokey Seitan loaf in Vegan Diner. It's the only method I've ever used and it's always come out perfectly!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:49 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'd like to try using my crock pot for my next attempt at simmered seitan.

I have a small plastic steamer basket but I've never been able to get it to work properly and, also, plastic? Plus it is small. So I don't steam.

Should I try combining various metal colanders with my biggest pots and lids and see what fits tightly enough to steam with? I really want to try making sausages!

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:35 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

my stovetop is electric and very hard to control too! gets too hot and the seitan's brainy... too cold and it's tough.

so one day I tried the crock pot like Rhizopus, but I start it on high to bring the broth to a boil while kneading the dough and then switch to low and keep the lid off for the simmer - my crock pot maintains about 200F on low which has worked perfectly for me... I've also use an electric pressure cooker that had a "simmer" button with good results too.

about 45 min for a roast, or 30 min for cutlets/strips - then I unplug/remove the crock and let the seitan cool in the broth... then fridge it in a storage container with some of the broth before I go to bed and let it set overnight (or longer).

the texture totally changes for the better after it has set (works when steaming too) - so it's totally worth the wait :)

Moon - I've never tried it, but I bet it would work if you made two or three tubes of rolled-up foil to sit in the bottom of a pan with an inch or so of boiling water and then set the seitan sausages/roast wrapped in foil on top of those tubes to keep the seitan above the water.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Chuck Palahniuk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Moon wrote:
I'd like to try using my crock pot for my next attempt at simmered seitan.

I have a small plastic steamer basket but I've never been able to get it to work properly and, also, plastic? Plus it is small. So I don't steam.

Should I try combining various metal colanders with my biggest pots and lids and see what fits tightly enough to steam with? I really want to try making sausages!

I have done this before I had my steamer inserts and it worked fine! Give it a try! Sausagy goodness awaits you!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]