| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! Boston Cream Pies?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

I want to make a boston cream pie cake for my partner's birthday in a couple weeks. I'm nervous because I've never made one before-- never made a pie either. Does anyone have a recipe they'd recommend? I have Sinfully Vegan but the recipes call for a lot of maple syrup which I can't really afford. I have VPITS and was looking at the boston cream pie cake recipe. Has anyone made it before? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Help! Boston Cream Pies?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:59 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've made the Boston Cream Pie Cake before -- it's really good and my friends loved it. I made the following changes:
- I used parchment paper in the cake pan to ensure that it released
- I doubled the ganache recipe because I used a slightly larger pie plate than called for (I think 10")
It was easy and fun, but you have to follow the instructions and ideally make it the day before, or at least have some time set aside for it to chill in the fridge.

Here's what it looked like.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

Ah thank you!!!! Yours looks great. Delicious layers. Maybe I will go with this recipe then.
One more question-- I don't own a proper pie plate. Do you think this recipe would work with one of the little aluminum disposable ones from the grocery store? I read through the recipe and it seems a bit finnicky with removing the cake from the pan , making the crust, and then stacking it back in. Do you think the disposables would be too flimsy for all that messing around?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:17 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hm. You might want to think about investing in a pie pan--you can usually get them cheap at thrift store. I use a glass one, which also works as a terrific potluck plate! (you can load them up high with food!)

But, short of that, if you have no choice, I bet if you're careful to not bend it, you should be able to use a disposable crumb crust pan. I would dump out the pie crust, bake the cake in the pan (using parchment to ensure quick release), then press the crumbs back into the pan and finish the rest of the steps.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:56 am 
And you never will.

If you have an 8" cake tin, just do the cake part in that and use a pre-made crust (that's what I do for that recipe). I like to get the larger "2 extra servings" Keebler crusts, because I feel like they fit everything better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:35 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks guys!! I'm gonna check the thrift store by my house for a real pie pan and if that doesn't PAN out I'll go with a pre-made crust + cake pan :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

sourcedecay wrote:
...if that doesn't PAN out I'll go with a pre-made crust + cake pan :)

<3

"forking vegans" ~~linanil