| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New at Whole Foods -- Amande Almond Milk Yogurt
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:14 am 
Chip Strong

I got some of this today, it was pretty good I guess. I should have just eaten it as is cause the granola I put in was kinda stale and ruined the experience. I still think I like the coconut milk yogurt more, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I finally tried some of this stuff and was not impressed at all. It was completely solid and gelatinous, yet very watery. That sounds like a contradiction, but I'm trying to think of the taste equivalent of translucent. Uncreamy?

Did I get a bad one or do I just have different yogurt preferences than everyone in this thread?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

mel c wrote:
I finally tried some of this stuff and was not impressed at all. It was completely solid and gelatinous, yet very watery. That sounds like a contradiction, but I'm trying to think of the taste equivalent of translucent. Uncreamy?

Did I get a bad one or do I just have different yogurt preferences than everyone in this thread?

No, that's what it's like (though more gelatinous than watery). I strangely like it even though it's more like a yogurt/jello hybrid.

Last edited by vegimator on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:18 pm 
Chard Martyr

That's weird mel, mine wasn't watery. It was very... thick and creamy though. I liked the texture a lot. I'm not sure I'm sold on the taste, but I think it's just because I'm so used to what yogurt "typically" tastes like and this is different, so I'm going to give it another go. I really want to try the vanilla, because that is my most favorite flavour of yogurt ever. I tried the cherry, and I have the strawberry in my fridge.

I think it's sort of pudding-like in texture after I mixed it up? I'll pay more attention next time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:30 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't mean watery liquidy, but watery like jello vs. creme brulee. More of a mouthfeel/fat content kind of thing. As if, in its unsolidified form, it would taste more like rice milk than almond milk. It was like you took yogurt, diluted it with water, then added gelatin. Very odd.

ETA: I'm realizing that both of your responses probably did understand what I meant and I'm just reading them incorrectly. Either way, I did not like this yogurt.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I tried it today for the first time and I agree, it's much more solid than other non-dairy yogurts. Yoplait makes a custard-style yogurt that contains gelatin and it reminds me a lot of that texture (from what I remember - I haven't had it in years).

I got the cherry kind and I thought it wasn't very flavorful. I have the blueberry to try for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I had the peach one. I liked it.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:54 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I am eating the cherry kind right now. I was really excited to try it, but I am a bit disappointed. The texture is just not quite right. I'll probably stick to soy yogurt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:33 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I didn't care for this stuff. I had that "starchy and gummy" review in my head when I tried it, and definitely felt like that was right. It's not terrible, just kinda weird. Like it's thick but not creamy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:38 pm 
Inflexitarian

mel c wrote:

Amy wrote:
I didn't care for this stuff. I had that "starchy and gummy" review in my head when I tried it, and definitely felt like that was right. It's not terrible, just kinda weird. Like it's thick but not creamy.

I agree with both of you. I didn't like it much and will stick with soy yogurt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:46 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I kinda liked the texture, but it would be better if they could scale the thickness down just a notch or two. I mean, it's so solid it could be a pie filling. Which is actually kinda cool, but still not what I want in yogurt. The cherry flavor pales in comparison to the Whole Soy cherry, though. Up with flavor, down with thickness!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:58 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

molly wrote:
I tried it today for the first time and I agree, it's much more solid than other non-dairy yogurts. Yoplait makes a custard-style yogurt that contains gelatin and it reminds me a lot of that texture (from what I remember - I haven't had it in years).

Yoplait custard style was my favorite when I was a kid. The way everyone else is describing this stuff makes it sound kinda gross, but I'm intrigued by the Yoplait comparison. I need to get to WF and try it myself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I opened the strawberry one and it was like a block I tried mixing it up, but it just stayed in clumps so I couldn't get my self to eat it. Has anyone else had this problem? I haven't opened my blueberry one yet though.

"If I was a celebrity with Twitter, I would totally use it to fork with people" -DangerZone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I tried the peach one and the flavor was nice, but the texture was a little too thick. If they could figure out how to make almond yogurt creamy and less gelatinous, I would be all over it. I've yet to find a non-dairy yogurt that I really like. The soy and coconut ones I've tried are either too sweet or the texture is off.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I too was concerned about the texture at first - it reminded me of exactly the kind of dairy yogurt that I detested - but I stirred it up until it became a texture I could deal with.

in other news, I am IN LOVE WITH unsweetened WholeSoy. like, I'm eating it straight out of the container with a spoon. it's the first vegan yogurt I've found that remotely resembles plain dairy yogurt. I think it's going to become a regular staple in my fridge...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

corduroy wrote:
I too was concerned about the texture at first - it reminded me of exactly the kind of dairy yogurt that I detested - but I stirred it up until it became a texture I could deal with.

in other news, I am IN LOVE WITH unsweetened WholeSoy. like, I'm eating it straight out of the container with a spoon. it's the first vegan yogurt I've found that remotely resembles plain dairy yogurt. I think it's going to become a regular staple in my fridge...

i'm so glad they made an unsweetened plain yogurt! their other plain yogurt was practically vanilla!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:07 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

corduroy wrote:

It's the best, isn't it? I love it too. I've been blending it up with frozen bananas and it's like the best banana frozen yogurt ever.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:24 am 
Chard Martyr

I've forged ahead and I tried the strawberry and blueberry ones. I still love the texture (I find it to be creamy and not gelatinous... but you do have to stir for quite some time) and the strawberry flavour was much tastier (to me) than the cherry. I was excited for the blueberry one because it had actual whole blueberries in it, but they tasted dehydrated or something. Bleh. So, whatever. I still like the texture and have peach to try, but strawberry is my fav.

I'm not much of a yogurt person, so these are more dessert-y for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yessss, I just tried strawberry and was impressed!! Cannot wait for plain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:48 am 
Tofu Pup

We were very excited to see this product at our local WFM and we bought 4 flavors to test for our 7 your old son. Our son has been eating coconut milk yogart, unfortunately he cannot have the soy yogart and thought we would give the Amande a try. After trying all 4 flavors of the Amande yogart he did like them. The yogarts are sweet and thicker than coconut milk. We are happy to find another alternative to eating yogart!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:02 pm 
Nailed to the V

I tried the cherry, blueberry and peach. I thought it was awful. I guess the flavor wasn't bad, but I couldn't get past the gelatinous texture. Even stirring it up didn't help. I wanted to like it but will have to stick with wholesoy and the occasional coconut yogurt.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:12 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

Blisslikethis - I agree. My boyfriend and I had the blueberry today and hated the texture. It was hard to get down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I tried it and wasn't impressed. The texture was weird, and there wasn't much flavor. I expect yogurt to taste tangier than this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:55 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I don't like it. The flavor was fine but the super thickened texture grossed me the hell out.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:49 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I tried the strawberry. I found the mouth feel gelatinous, not creamy, it had a weird aftertaste, and the flavor was not strong enough for me. This is not something I would buy again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next