| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New at Whole Foods -- Amande Almond Milk Yogurt
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:29 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Seems like everyone loved the idea of this but it failed to live up to expectations. I do see that there are several who like it though, so I'm still wanting to try it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:49 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Does anyone know what the shelf space for this is edging out at your local WFs? Part of me is really happy and excited about all the new nondairy options at WF, but I've seen a lot of my older favorites edged out of the dairy case and it's so frustrating. For example, I'm lukewarm on the coconut yogurts--they're twice as much as soygurt, but the texture seems thinner to me even if the pina colada is delicious--but noticed that when they became popular they almost completely replaced the SOY so delicious stuff for shelf space. Since that cinnamon roll so delicious was my far and away fave - good texture, a little bit sour and not too sweet - I was annoyed.

I guess I sound gripey, but I've noticed the same thing going on with soymilk. I hope it's replacing gross brands like O'Soy and not my favorites! I might try Amande, although really they need to add calcium. Otherwise let's face it, nondairy 'gurt is pretty nutritionally empty.

I do say three cheers for plain, because I use plain soygurt daily in recipes, dips, sauces, dressings, etc. I would buy a good plain that was superior in recipes regardless of fortification.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:17 am 
Crazy bat lady

I thought this was gross--I didn't like the texture nor taste. All four flavors I tried had a weird aftertaste.
Ryan liked it, though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:27 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I tried it and thought it tasted odd and had a bad aftertaste. I only tried the strawberry and my husband seemed to like it. It was not my favorite.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:32 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I am eating one of these right now and am not a fan.

The texture is gummy and gel-like. It doesn't really taste like cherries and I can't see any pieces of cherry. And if I am paying big bucks (on my grocery budget anyway) for yogurt, I want it to have more protein or calcium.

Update: I threw the last third of it away. Life is too short.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:41 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

It was on sale at my local WF this week; I didn't buy any though. It just, doesn't seem worth the calories and sugar.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

pickpocket wrote:
This yogurt is delicious. It's also SUGAR-FREE! it's lightly sweetened with fruit juice so it makes it soy-free, dairy free, sugar free, gluten-free.

It sounds amazing, I wish it was avail. here.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:20 pm 

I got it because it was on sale this week, it was really yummy! The fact that it was fruit juice sweetened really appealed to me, and the flavor wasn't overwhelming. I'm going to stock up on it because it's on sale, because that's really the only time I ever eat yogurt.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just had the cherry and I really liked it. I don't have anything to compare it to though as I cant eat any other yogurt on the market. I would have preferred strawberry, but my wfm doesn't have it. I'll be asking for it though. When I used to eat dairy yogurt, it seemed the ones I ate had a similar texture to this, but that was years ago, so maybe not.

ETA: I checked the flavors online and I now also want my wfm to have plain and coconut.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I picked up the coconut and blueberry last night but haven't tried them yet. At $1.29 I hope I like them, but I did buy the 24 oz whole soy plain just in case.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:22 pm 

Earth Fare (at least the Bearden location in Knoxville) just started carrying these. I tried the raspberry. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it had way too many raspberry seeds.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:11 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I picked some up at my local HFS, mainly because it was a whole buck cheaper than the coconut yogurt. I like it, texture didn't bother me. But I am an occasional yogurt eater for a random snack, so I won't go out if my way for it either.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:44 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just found this at my local health food store and I LOVE it! I bought a few of the strawberry and I thought they were delicious. My favorite is still coconut yogurt, but this is way cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 pm 
And you never will.

I was so excited to see this FINALLY show up in my Whole Foods today! I tried the raspberry. I liked the sweetness level, as I find most yogurts to be cloyingly sweet, but I was not a fan of the gelatinous texture or the chalky aftertaste. And at 30¢ more apiece than WholeSoy & Co. I think I'll pass from now on. Disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:26 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I've tried to eat this numerous times, but I think the texture is just too strange for me. I can make myself finish it off usually and I like having a non-soy yogurt, but it's hard to make myself eat this stuff. [Another thing that makes me think it's not so great is that my dog likes soy and coconut yogurt--I'll give him little tastes--but he won't touch this stuff!] I like the coconut milk yogurt, but it's too expensive and I've had numerous bad experiences with it having green mold in it (probably 5-10% of the coconut milk yogurt I've bought). So I'm still largely buying Whole Soy & Co. yogurt when they have good dates. {Because of how far I live from anyplace that has vegan yogurts, I have to buy about a month's worth.}

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:34 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

The coconut one is SO GOOD. I love the little chunks of coconut. Yummers. The other flavors are hit or miss for me.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:12 pm 

I heard the rumor of a coconut flavor via G+. I really, really want to try it. I love coconut! Otherwise, it's all lemon WholeSoy, allatimes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I tried Amande a few months ago and thought it was awful.

WholeSoy4eva. Even though we can't get it in Canada. :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:07 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

ndpittman wrote:
I heard the rumor of a coconut flavor via G+. I really, really want to try it. I love coconut! Otherwise, it's all lemon WholeSoy, allatimes.

I LOVE the lemon flavor! and the unsweetend plain! i guess I am not a sweet person.

I rarely shop at whole foods, but will still check this out next time I go.

Except, i go into WF to buy yogurt, and end up spending like $75

I had a dream last night that I won the lottery, and in my dream I was very happy that I could shop at Whole Foods ALL THE TIME since I was filthy rich.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:12 pm 

I've never seen the unsweetened plain! I look for it every time; I think I've requested it! I know I've requested the Greek style coconut milk yogurt to no avail. I'm not going to complain though, because I do have access to some yogurt anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:30 pm 
Human Gravy

I like the vanilla. Wegman's often has the big tub on sale for $1.99. I am not a fan of the flavors, but to be honest I never liked fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt. I don't like the texture you get when you stir it. There's like these weird little curds that never go away. However, I have found with the vanilla if I stir it up really vigorously with a fork, it's all good--then I just add my own fruit (which means I can have pineapple yogurt!).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

I took my immersion blender to one of those big containers of Amande, and it improved the texture a lot. It became just like regular yogurt, but still with that unfortunate "fruit juice sweetened" taste.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:18 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Garrick wrote:
I took my immersion blender to one of those big containers of Amande, and it improved the texture a lot. It became just like regular yogurt, but still with that unfortunate "fruit juice sweetened" taste.

This is what I do too. Makes it much more palatable to me. I'm bummed that I haven't seen any other flavors than vanilla or plain though. I would love to try the strawberry!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Interesting. But having to lug out a blender to improve the texture of yogurt kinda kills the convenience factor!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:44 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I like Amande! I went crazy over it when it first came out and now i've mellowed out*, but I still like the coconut a lot, and the cherry and peach. I think the vanilla tastes really weird. I can't get the strawberry here (but i've had it) and I don't like raspberry in general that much, and the peach isn't my favorite.

But seriously, the coconut is awesome and the texture really works with that flavor, I think it tastes very desserty and i've totally eaten it with pie.

*I swear my HFS actually expanded their yogurt section for me, instead of just carrying the vanilla flavor of every brand.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next