| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: slow-cooker seitan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:41 am 
Saggy Butt

I remember reading on here about making seitan in a slow cooker. I want to start doing this, but I've never made seitan or used a slow cooker, although I do have one. I was wondering if I can make up the dough the night before, so I can just turn it on in the morning. Has anyone tried this?

Post subject: Re: slow-cooker seitan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:59 am 
Saggy Butt

Also, what is a good size slow cooker to use? The one I have is a 5-quart, I think. It's this one, http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-38501-W ... 438&sr=1-6, but it doesn't say on it what size it is and I can't find the box, but that's the same model number so I'll assume it's 5 qts. I'm thinking of getting a smaller one, either in addition to or instead of this one, I'm not sure (I want to start cooking from them a lot, and it might be nice to have two so I could make seitan in one and soup in another, and have a complete meal ready at the same time).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

this might help viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5613&hilit=+seitan

make the dough in the evening, stick it in the slow cooker to cook overnight, pop it in the fridge in the morning.... heat when needed! 5 QT is a good size.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:39 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I Pm'd you lavegan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:05 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Do you have American Vegan Kitchen? If so, she has a slow cooker variation of her savory seitan recipe in there and I just made it last weekend; turned out awesome!

Basically for any seitan recipe you prepare the seitan dough recipe but make 'loaf' size pieces instead of little cutlets and then pour enough broth in the crock pot to cover; then cook on low setting for at least 8 hours (make sure it doesn't boil).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:36 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I haven't tried it myself, but my guess is that it would be fine to make the dough ahead of time. Just make sure it's tightly wrapped so it doesn't dry out in the fridge.

I have a pretty big slow cooker - 6.5 quarts, and it is much bigger than needed for even a double batch of seitan. I made a quadruple batch in it once, and that was definitely pushing the limit but it turned out fine! Keep in mind if you use a larger slow cooker but fill it less full, it will cook hotter. I think on low it still won't boil, but if you aren't sure then do it sometime when you can keep an eye on things. I would make enough of the cooking liquid so your slow cooker is at least half full, or just do a double batch which I think should be plenty to fill a 5 qt pot halfway.

I can't stand cooking things in my slow cooker overnight. The smell of cooking food in the middle of the night causes me to wake up in a panic! But, if it works for you, go for it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

hopshackgirl wrote:
Do you have American Vegan Kitchen? If so, she has a slow cooker variation of her savory seitan recipe in there and I just made it last weekend; turned out awesome!

Basically for any seitan recipe you prepare the seitan dough recipe but make 'loaf' size pieces instead of little cutlets and then pour enough broth in the crock pot to cover; then cook on low setting for at least 8 hours (make sure it doesn't boil).

That is the recipe I use for slow-cooker seitan. So, so easy and the texture was fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:56 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

for those who've used the AVK recipe in the slowcooker - how 'bout the Seitan Lite recipe? Since the recipe involves baking the cutlets in broth, I'm unsure whether just using my slowcooker is a good idea or not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:38 pm 
Nailed to the V

Audrey wrote:
for those who've used the AVK recipe in the slowcooker - how 'bout the Seitan Lite recipe? Since the recipe involves baking the cutlets in broth, I'm unsure whether just using my slowcooker is a good idea or not.

I am a huge fan of seitan in the crockpot, but I have to say that it doesn't work so great with the seitan lite. It can be done, but I wasn't crazy about the texture. It was so much softer than the cutlets in the oven. I know you're looking for a 'chickeny' recipe, but I can't resist saying my very favorite way to make seitan is the savory seitan AVK recipe, but made into 4 roasts, covered in broth, crockpot on low for 8 hours. Then you can cut them however you want for recipes. So easy!

So glad to hear that you guys have had good success with the AVK recipe. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:47 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Audrey wrote:

I think this recipe uses some chickpeas in it? If so, I don't think it would turn out the same in the crockpot as the chickpeas might get too cooked and be a little soft/mushy. I have only done seitan recipes in the crockpot that had VWG as the main ingredient and not bean/other supplements to it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

thanks for the help guys. I don't have that book, but I put it on hold at the library so I'll check it out.

so, you need to divide the dough into little balls, you can't just bake it in one big loaf? and you need to cover entirely with broth? because this is the recipe I wanted to start with, and it bakes it in one big loaf and only uses 1 cup broth to cover http://veganplanet.blogspot.com/2008/03 ... roast.html. but it's got good reviews so I assume it'll come out fine. I wonder, though, since I think that is intended for a 6-7 qt oval cooker, if it would take longer to cook in my smaller, round cooker. I wonder if I could cook half the dough, and store the rest in the fridge to bake a few days later, or if the pot wouldn't be full enough to cook right. also, can you adapt steamed seitan to the slow cooker? I've heard good things about the viva vegan seitan. thanks for answering all my questions guys!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:30 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Tamasin wrote:
Audrey wrote:

I am a huge fan of seitan in the crockpot, but I have to say that it doesn't work so great with the seitan lite. It can be done, but I wasn't crazy about the texture. It was so much softer than the cutlets in the oven. I know you're looking for a 'chickeny' recipe, but I can't resist saying my very favorite way to make seitan is the savory seitan AVK recipe, but made into 4 roasts, covered in broth, crockpot on low for 8 hours. Then you can cut them however you want for recipes. So easy!

So glad to hear that you guys have had good success with the AVK recipe. Thank you!

thanks Tamasin. And yep the regular AVK seitan is totally awesome in the crockpot. It's so wonderful to have all these choices when it comes to seitan: boiling, steaming, baking, slowcooking. I'm gonna try your Seitan Lite - the proper way in the oven - soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:44 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Okay, so I just tried the slow cooker seitan pot roast from Vegan on the Cheap and I must say, this is the best batch of seitan I've made. Granted, the only other way I've made it was boiling it...but yeah, this stuff was amazing.

The only thing that worried me was that it only took 1 cup of cooking liquid for a 2 cup dry 1.5 cup wet seitan loaf. And I guess whatever liquid was drawn out from the veggies.

Anyways, slow cooked for 8 hours most of the liquid was gone by the end but it gave the roast a sort of sear and a really thick, chewy texture towards the middle. So, I think if you're doing a slow cooker seitan, use little liquid. You don't want to boil it, you want to cook it slow and low.

Also, there's a real easy corned seitan and cabbage slow cooker reicpe in that book that I can't wait to try for St. Patty's day!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:40 am 
Nailed to the V

I love that corned seitan in VOTC! I don't add the vegetables but add a little more onion powder and always keep it in the freezer for reubens. It's great as written, too, but I'm a sucker for reubens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:15 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I have also made the dough the night before, and put together the broth and floated the dough all night long in the broth in the fridge, pulled it out in the morning and cooked it all day. Recipe ready when ya get home!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:10 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Quote:
boiling, steaming, baking, slowcooking

Forgot one! Bread machine start-to-finish. Tried it with PPK Seitan-O'-Greatness. Turned out well (moister than other methods). I guess it qualifies as baked, but sounds more impressive :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:33 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

nickvicious wrote:
Okay, so I just tried the slow cooker seitan pot roast from Vegan on the Cheap and I must say, this is the best batch of seitan I've made. Granted, the only other way I've made it was boiling it...but yeah, this stuff was amazing.
The only thing that worried me was that it only took 1 cup of cooking liquid for a 2 cup dry 1.5 cup wet seitan loaf. And I guess whatever liquid was drawn out from the veggies.
Anyways, slow cooked for 8 hours most of the liquid was gone by the end but it gave the roast a sort of sear and a really thick, chewy texture towards the middle. So, I think if you're doing a slow cooker seitan, use little liquid. You don't want to boil it, you want to cook it slow and low.
Also, there's a real easy corned seitan and cabbage slow cooker reicpe in that book that I can't wait to try for St. Patty's day!

Thanks for posting that, I've been wanting to try both of those recipes from VOTC, but didn't want to commit to a big batch of seitan that I might not like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

lycophyte wrote:
I have also made the dough the night before, and put together the broth and floated the dough all night long in the broth in the fridge, pulled it out in the morning and cooked it all day. Recipe ready when ya get home!

awesome. do you think you could refrigerate the dough in the slow cooker pot overnight and just put it in the machine and start it, or would you need to bring it to room temp first? (I'm not sure it would even fit in my fridge though.)

and since I use boullion to make broth, thus having to boil water, do I need to let it cool before adding it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:15 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Dave in MPLS wrote:
Quote:

Forgot one! Bread machine start-to-finish. Tried it with PPK Seitan-O'-Greatness. Turned out well (moister than other methods). I guess it qualifies as baked, but sounds more impressive :)

Wait. I need to hear more about this. My bread machine is unloved. Making seitan in it sounds ace. Can you tell me more?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:03 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Efcliz wrote:
Dave in MPLS wrote:
Quote:

Wait. I need to hear more about this. My bread machine is unloved. Making seitan in it sounds ace. Can you tell me more?

I second that request. Bread machine seitan sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:43 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I gotta start keeping a notebook on things I try. :) Luckily I posted about it on VeggieBoards:

Quote:
Used a bread machine to make seitan tonight. Put the ingredients in, scraped down the sides during the second knead, let it cook and presto! seitan. Used the 'basic medium crust' cycle. The bottom burned a little bit but otherwise it was OK - flavorful and moist. D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y need to tweak the process, but even still it turned out better than my last simmered batch. The recipe I used is modified from this one: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=112. Changes I made: Replace water & soy sauce with 1 1/2 cups water + 1/2 T Better Than Boullion No Chicken Base, replace garlic with 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning, eliminate tomato paste and lemon zest

---------------

Haven't done it since, but next time I'll try light crust. Think it might make a decent faux ham for Easter if the flavoring is adjusted for 'hamminess' rather than 'chickenality' (and a little liquid smoke is added), stud it with cloves, pour maple syrup on it, pop in oven to carmalize ... It certainly looks like a ham when it comes out of the bread machine. An oddly perfectly oblong ham.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:01 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Oooh, I'm going to give it a try - although the Caribbean Vegan ham is an excellent version of what you are describing above.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:39 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Wowza...I made a double batch of simple seitan from Veganomicon divided it into four pieces and cooked it in my slow cooker with the 4 cups broth/4cups water and some soy sauce for 8 hrs, and it came out perfectly. I have made plenty of seitan in my time but never as perfect as with the slow cooker. Thank you guys for the slow cooker idea. So in 24 hrs I have improved my hummus and seitan thanks to the slow cooker that has been hidden away for a couple of years. Thanks PPKers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:09 am 
Nailed to the V

zeebo wrote:
Wowza...I made a double batch of simple seitan from Veganomicon divided it into four pieces and cooked it in my slow cooker with the 4 cups broth/4cups water and some soy sauce for 8 hrs, and it came out perfectly. I have made plenty of seitan in my time but never as perfect as with the slow cooker. Thank you guys for the slow cooker idea. So in 24 hrs I have improved my hummus and seitan thanks to the slow cooker that has been hidden away for a couple of years. Thanks PPKers.

There's just something about incredible homemade seitan. So glad this worked out for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:54 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Anyone make seitan in a rice cooker? My fancy Sanyo rice cooker has slow-cook capabilities, but I haven't explored them much. Should I just follow the crock-pot suggestions?

thanks!