| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Candy Corn Not Vegan?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:36 pm 
WRETCHED

I received pandacookie candycorn today... it is awesome. I am considering hiding it from my husband.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:41 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Meggs wrote:
lostgirl12 wrote:
The Candy Corn Dots are vegan along with all of their "holiday" flavors.

Do the Candy Corn Dots taste like candy corn, or are they a poor wanna-be candy corn?

They don't have the same texture. I didn't care for the Dots. I love me some candy corn.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:49 pm 
Chard Martyr

pandacookie wrote:
Meggs wrote:
lostgirl12 wrote:

Do the Candy Corn Dots taste like candy corn, or are they a poor wanna-be candy corn?

They don't have the same texture. I didn't care for the Dots. I love me some candy corn.

Thank you. I won't waste my time. Texture is important.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:31 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Smarties - I had forgotten that they are different candies in the US and Canada.

In Canada, Smarties are a candy-coated chocolate like M&Ms but not nearly as good. The filling is of course milk chocolate, so not vegan.

What you in the US know as Smarties are called Rockets here. I love Rockets.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

We will be going T-O-T with some non-vegan friends, so I guess we'll just give away that candy to them. Kid is only three, but she's has zero desire to eat milk/eggs/gelatin so I know it won't really be an issue for her. We just get a bag of smarties and a bag of dum dums to substitute out so she doesn't feel ripped off. We still have half bags both from last year since she eats so little candy anyway. Before anyone gets grossed out, I checked the date, they're good until 2012 or something.

I do so miss candy corn, though. I've been toying with the idea of making the one posted on Urban Housewife, but with all of the schoolwork and costume making I don't think I'll get there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:28 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The Jellly Belly brand of candy corn is at least vegetarian. I don't think it's vegan. There are no egg whites or gelatin, but there's probably confectioner's glaze and/or honey. I miss it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:21 pm 
Chip Strong

Annie's has packs of gummy bunnies for trick or treaters, probably expensive if you get a lot of kids but I know my parents can get away with buying one bag and having leftovers cause they live in the middle of nowhere. I keep eying the big bags of them and I would be psyched to get them as a kid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:47 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I was never allowed to go guising as a kid. I still resent it.

Plus, my dad used to make us switch out all the lights and hide and pretend to be out on Hallowe'en so as not to get other guisers chapping at our door. Mean!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Rubella wrote:
Annie's has packs of gummy bunnies for trick or treaters, probably expensive if you get a lot of kids but I know my parents can get away with buying one bag and having leftovers cause they live in the middle of nowhere. I keep eying the big bags of them and I would be psyched to get them as a kid.

I saw those, I was tempted to get them just for me because I like unwrapping the little individual packages...sick & wasteful I know

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

We did a few different things with non-vegan candy:

Buy it from them for 5 cents a piece
Trade for vegan candy
They chose which friends to give it to and divided it among their friends. (Usually made special containers to put it in.)
Made a donation to the food bank.
Traded for a special toy or book.

The kids never minded not eating the non-vegan candy because they did not want to put that stuff in their bodies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:50 pm 
Tofu Pup

Have you guys seen this site?

http://notricktreats.com/

You can add your place to let people know what you're giving out (labels for vegan, raw, nut-free, kosher, etc.) and look for vegan-friendly places nearby too.

My building isn't set up for trick or treating (locks at each or the different hallways) but I think I'd be giving out rockets and/or potato chips if I lived in a place that got trick or treaters. I remember loving to get bags of chips when I was a kid because they took up more space, even though I didn't actually like the chips that much. :p

There are those little bags (like tiny loot bags) you can buy and fill yourself too, if you're only going to be shelling out to a few kids who you already know. Those might be a waste for strangers though, since they're not safe looking. I know my parents always had us throw those ones away (and anything else home-made). Bouncy balls and kazoos and other little toys are probably best anyway, so you're covering diabetics and allergies too. Anything for stuffing loot bags, really, but I guess that might get expensive if you get a huge crowd. You get what -four? six? ten? in a pack for a dollar or so, for most of those things.

The first of the Christmas stuff was put out in the dollar store near me in August, so I was trying to convince my mom the other day to give out candy canes for halloween. Half jokingly, but really, kids love Tim Burton, right? There are Jack skeleton costumes. I think it'd be a big hit. Or the parents would assume you're crazy and tell their kids to stay away, but then you'd get to keep all the candy canes. Win-win.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:54 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

pandacookie wrote:
Meggs wrote:

Dammit. I really want some candy corn.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Arisaig wrote:
Smarties - I had forgotten that they are different candies in the US and Canada.

In Canada, Smarties are a candy-coated chocolate like M&Ms but not nearly as good. The filling is of course milk chocolate, so not vegan.

Rockets are my favorite! I was so glad to learn they were vegan when I made the transition.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:22 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Meggs wrote:
lostgirl12 wrote:

I didn't like them. They kinda tasted like candy corn, but chewy. I couldn't stop eating them though. I'd steer clear.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:32 am 
Chard Martyr

Cowgirl wrote:
Meggs wrote:

I didn't like them. They kinda tasted like candy corn, but chewy. I couldn't stop eating them though. I'd steer clear.

I shall steer very clear, based upon pandacookie's and your warnings. I want that same texture. I don't think the Dots texture would be sufficient to make me feel like it was really candy corn. Boo.

amandabear wrote:

Me too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:05 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

Meggs wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
Meggs wrote:

I shall steer very clear, based upon pandacookie's and your warnings. I want that same texture. I don't think the Dots texture would be sufficient to make me feel like it was really candy corn. Boo.

amandabear wrote:

Me too.

Yeah, dots are a gummy candy, it just has a supposed candy corn flavoring. I am not a fan of gummy candy, so it wasn't for me.
I will have the candy corn pumpkins in my etsy shop through the end of October, maybe later if there is a demand. The texture of those is not exact but it is the closest thing I have found,

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:23 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

My oldest son has food allergies, so every year, we buy safe candy for him, and that is also what we hand out. That night, when he comes home, he can swap out the unsafe stuff for things that he likes. Then, my hubby takes the other candy to work and hands it out. He likes that he can still trick or treat, and that he does get some stuff he can eat, and loves when he trades in the unsafe stuff for his favorite candy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:04 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

linanil wrote:
I received pandacookie candycorn today... it is awesome. I am considering hiding it from my husband.

Okay, I'll bite...literally! I can't find the pandacookie candy corn on either of the sites. Pandacookie?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:16 pm 
WRETCHED

Amarand wrote:
linanil wrote:

Okay, I'll bite...literally! I can't find the pandacookie candy corn on either of the sites. Pandacookie?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PandaWithCookieBakes

Its the vegan mallocreme candy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:44 pm 

linanil wrote:
Amarand wrote:
linanil wrote:

Similar taste and texture to regular candy corn?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:46 pm 
WRETCHED

Amarand wrote:
linanil wrote:

Similar taste and texture to regular candy corn?

It was very reminiscent in taste and texture. I think hers are a little less sweet than I remember candy corn being but I liked that part.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:53 pm 

linanil wrote:
It was very reminiscent in taste and texture. I think hers are a little less sweet than I remember candy corn being but I liked that part.

I can imagine any homemade candy that has flavor, but is less sweet, would be certainly worth trying.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:17 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Arisaig wrote:

(Canadian) Smarties are SO better than M&Ms! I haven't had them in 8 years, but damn, so good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:19 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
(Canadian) Smarties are SO better than M&Ms! I haven't had them in 8 years, but damn, so good.

I love how there are different flavors of chocolate too. The chocolate in M&Ms, aside from not being vegan, is just plain boring. :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

interrobang?! wrote:
I was never allowed to go guising as a kid. I still resent it.

Plus, my dad used to make us switch out all the lights and hide and pretend to be out on Hallowe'en so as not to get other guisers chapping at our door. Mean!

I have a worse story from a co-worker. He said he wasn't allowed to go out trick-or-treating because his dad made him stay home to help hand out the only "treats" the family gave: religious tracts. If you haven't seen them, they are basically mini comic books telling you about someone who has not accepted Jesus and goes straight to hell!