| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Takana Meishi
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:41 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi Everybody!

I've been reading these boards for a while now, but have been a little too shy to post anything. So um...hi! Nice to meet you all.

I've read several posts about Japanese food & remember seeing some posts in the past where folks talked about living in Japan, so I'm hoping someone can help. I've been scouring the internet & racking my brain in hopes of trying to veganize my favorite Japanese dish,takana-meishi. This is basically the recipe I learned in my pre-veggie days:
1. Fry some pickled mustard leaves (takana) & bacon or ham in a little bit of veggie oil.
2. Add an egg or two to the pan;scramble.
3. Add some cooked white rice, mix well. Throw in some mirin, soy sauce and a little bit of sugar & mix some more.

The meat seems pretty easy to substitute--faux bacon strips on lazy days & maybe some marinated tofu or seitan if I'm feeling fancy. An appropriate egg substitute is what really stumps me, though. It's not the taste that needs to be substituted so much as it's the texture/binding together of the other ingredients. I tried mixing a little egg replacer & water in a bowl beforehand then adding it to the pan mixture & the results were a little gross.

Has anyone ever tried making a vegan version of this dish? Or do you have any suggestions from similar dishes you've made? Any and all suggestions are more than welcome!

Post subject: Re: Takana Meishi
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

I think blended silken tofu w/turmeric would work for the eggs. I think there is a recipe in vegan brunch for an omelette that goes like that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:56 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yeah, blended tofu might work.

Also, have you read Kansha by Elizabeth Andoh? It's got some really good recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:02 pm 
Tofu Pup

Oh man, blended tofu...that's genius! Thanks for suggesting it.

Aki-Yes! I've seen Kansha and have been drooling over it every time I stop by this one bookshop. Would you suggest getting it? I was thinking of asking for it for Christmas, but don't know if I have the patience to wait that long :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

japancakes wrote:
Would you suggest getting it? I was thinking of asking for it for Christmas, but don't know if I have the patience to wait that long :)

I wouldn't, but that's only because I am cheap and rarely buy books. I checked out Kansha from the library recently and I'm just going to copy recipes out of it.

It would make a nice gift, though.