| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Food for the Omnivore Bereaved??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

My omnivore aunt is dealing with the tragic murder of her daughter. Unfortunately, she has not been eating much. I want to make her vegan food that she might eat. I own the following cookbooks: vegan with a vengeance, vegan soul kitchen, vegan brunch, veganomicon, nonna's italian kitchen, world vegetarian, American Vegan Kitchen, Voluptuous Vegan, Cookin’ Southern: Vegetarian Style, Viva Vegan, Planet Vegan, and some others.
She normally likes southern, Italian, and Mexican food. Please note that she does have diabetes.
Please suggest vegan recipes (from the above cookbooks perhaps) that she might eat and enjoy during this difficult time.
Thank you for any assistance.
Ps. Sorry, I didn't know (or use) the abbreviations for the cookbooks.

Post subject: Re: Vegan Food for the Omnivore Bereaved??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:33 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Oh my. That is such sad news. My condolences to both you and your Aunt. I can't think of a specific recipe from any of those cookbooks but I think you should be thinking along the lines of comfort food. Something that is familiar, warm, healthy and filling.

There is a reason we call it comfort food.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Maybe the pumpkin sage ziti from the Veganomicon. My partner made Mac Daddy from VCON too when his family member died and everyone thought it was great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:56 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

I was thinking comfort food as well: mashed potatoes, lasagne, and sheperd's pie/pot pie came to mind right away. If you know what foods remind your aunt of family (e.g. foods her mom used to make) I'd recommend those especially.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'd make her a big lasagna from nona's. any sort of casserole, and if you can put it in containers or individual serving sizes to freeze, all the better. are there a lot of folks at her house that also need to eat? maybe some big bowls of fruit salad, bagels, cream cheese, sliced tomatoes, olives, etc. even chili...there's a great mole inspired chili in vwav.

so sorry about your cousin.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:04 pm 
Semen Strong

You're so kind! I would make something they can heat up easily. If they are pretty open to vegan food (vegan cheese and tofu), I would say make the enchiladas or the lasagna. If they tend to be more conservative, maybe make chili and cornbread or any casserole that relies on beans and veggies without needing vegan cheese or meat analogues.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:13 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

So sorry that your family is going through that. We found it was great to have individual servings of soups (frozen or dry) and rolls (room temp or frozen) that could be reheated easily for those times that you barely feel able to manage the microwave. Don't know any specific items in those cookbooks, but diabetics typically do well with lentil-based stews.
Also, veg & lentil salads that can be stored in the fridge and served at room temp or cold are good. If you use chunky veg & spinach as the base and avoid lettuce-y stuff, it can be used as a heated dish as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

I appreciate all of the helpful comments and suggestions. I'll look through the cookbooks for enchiladas and lasagna /ziti recipes. In the future, maybe chilli and cornbread too. Actually, I might be able to do most of the suggestions over time. Any suggestions for which recipe is best?

Again, thank you all for your comments. I have never participated in these forums before (a viewer only) and your generosity is really taking away the nerves. Be well!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:37 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Soup too is good as you can portion it and freeze it, its easy to eat so you don't have to think about it too much, especially if you don't feel like eating, and it is loaded with nutrients, if you make a thick creamy veggie soup for example.
As to specific recipes, I just tend to wing it with soups.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:43 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

If you want to pm me, I'll happily send you an eggplant caponata that I've had before. It is succulent, and great to share with any unexpected guests.
Or just google the term and try one yourself. Omnis like it just fine.

Most people here are very friendly, and there are a variety of different experiences that they are willing to talk about. Not all of it may be to your tastes, but you can find a place here. There is a certain sense of humor here, so hang in there if you don't get all the jokes right away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:48 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I would make muffins or something that she can just snack on if she's not really in a place to eat a full plate of an entree. Maybe some whole wheat muffins with flax in them so they are nice and hearty and healthful like these maybe http://theppk.com/2009/12/gingerbread-flax-muffins/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:56 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I'm not sure about which recipes would be best but I wouldn't make anything too heavy. When your appetite is affected by such times light things are physically easier to swallow, watery soups and saucy things. As others have said, things that are easy to throw in the microwave.

I'm so, so sorry to hear about your cousin. I almost lost my brother nearly two years ago to a violent attack by his partner, the horror is indescribable. My heart goes out to your family, especially your aunt xxx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:58 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I was going to suggest muffins or quickbread as well. I know that when I am stressed or sad, I have a hard time eating, so having smaller, snacking foods might be good. Those gingerbread flax muffins look great, or perhaps this pumpkin bread: http://theppk.com/2008/10/super-moist-pumpkin-bread/

Condolences to you and your aunt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:21 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Vegan With A Vengence - the curried split pea soup, the mushroom risotto, maybe some of the waffles and muffins (could be frozen), chickpea and spinach curry if you think she likes Indian (and if she does maybe the samosas too, following IJDI’s logic of small snacky things).

Veganomicon - the French lentil soup, eggplant peanut soup, banana nut waffles, lemony roasted potatoes, broccoli potato soup, cauliflower mushroom pot pie, leek and bean cassoulet with biscuits, pumpkin baked zit, mushroom gravy (with mashed potatoes), again maybe some of the muffins (though not sure to what extent being diabetic rules the sweet stuff out)

Vegan Brunch - maybe one of the quiches (onion or broccoli!) - they’re tofu and cashew nut based, but I don’t think they’re too scary for omnis, again maybe some of the waffles or muffins to freeze, potato spinach squares, tempeh cakes

so sorry for you and your aunt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh, I'm so sorry. I agree with those that have suggested healthy muffins and breads, maybe zucchini bread? Something that's easy to snack on when she gets a spare moment. I imagine that she'll have people coming and going pretty often for a while, and might not have the time to sit down and eat a full meal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

I will follow the logic of making smaller snack size (comfort-like) foods first to see if she (other family members, maybe visitors perhaps) will eat anything. If she responds (crosses fingers), I will try more soups and hearty salads, then larger meals.
Everyone has been so great. Thank each of you for sharing the suggestions, personal well wishes (for my aunt and family), and personal stories. My aunt will be pleased.

I am going to use the cooking as an outlet for my grief. Be well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:48 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm so sorry to hear about that.

I would probably make a batch of healthy muffins, like a few other people suggested, like the banana wheat germ muffins from V'con. Or maybe a big batch of chickpea noodle soup from V'con, so comforting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:02 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm so sorry to hear about your family's loss. I see that you already have lots of good suggestions here, but I wanted to suggest something that might be overlooked -- simple veggie side dishes. (I'm basing this suggestion on my own experience losing my sister last month. We got tons and tons of pasta and eggplant and no fruits and veggies. You guys need plenty of vitamins to ward off opportunistic diseases).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:31 am 
Flounceiad 2011

What a terrible thing; I'm so sorry that your family has to endure this. It's very kind and thoughtful of you to want to make sure your aunt has something to eat (small wonder if she isn't taking the best care of herself, under the circumstances). I agree with people who've suggested casseroles and soups: they generally make a lot, and freeze well. You don't say whether she lives alone or with anyone else; if you think one large pan of something would be too much of one thing, maybe you could make a few batches of various dishes, then divide them into smaller quantities to be frozen and defrosted as needed?

Green780 wrote:
I am going to use the cooking as an outlet for my grief.

This was very much my approach when my father passed away a few years ago; I took a lot of comfort in all that chopping and stirring, and it had a positive outcome in that everyone got fed. Hang in there, we're all thinking of you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:57 am 
Seagull of the PPK

soup and homemade bread would be my thing, and maybe a thing of containers so that she can freeze some and pop it in the micro later to eat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My deepest sympathy for your family. That is so sad.
I love the soup and fresh home made bread idea. Try the chickpea noodle from Veganomicon. One of my favourite comfort foods is polenta and the polenta rancheros recipe in Vegan Brunch is so delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:14 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

How awful! I'm so sorry for your family's loss and can't even imagine what your aunt must be going through.
The lentil soup in Veganomicon is really good. That might be a good one to make for her.