| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Extreme Exhaustion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:43 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

You all have some really great ideas. Thank you!
My multivitamin has 400IU of D2 so maybe that is part of the problem?
Yes, I am a small person. I never thought I wasn't getting enough calories as I'm not losing weight. In fact, I have noticed my pants fitting a little snugly lately. I seriously never go more than 2 hours without eating as I am always hungry. I think my body is just trying to get what it's lacking.
I really appreciate all of your ideas! I think I may need to reread "Becoming Vegan." I have gone so long feeling great that I have clearly forgotten that there are things I need to be more careful of.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:21 pm 
Tofu Pup

From what I read on Dr Fuhrman's forum, he says many ex-vegans who weren't feeling well, that is the vit D deficiency if I remember well. There were many members with vit D deficiency on his forum (usually older 70+ years old), some correct it with D2, for some it seems the D2 doesn't work and they need the D3. So I thought it was interesting that a member mentioned that Vitashine company now makes a vegan D3.
Dr Fuhrman's vegan multivitamin has 1000 IU of D2. In addition he recommends his calcium+ vit D supplement; one serving gives 1800 IU, that is a total of 2800/day, so 7X what you were taking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:04 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

The more I read about Vitamin D, the more I think I HAVE to be deficient. There's no way I could be getting enough! 1000 IU of D3 is the recommended amount and I am getting 400IU of the inferior D2. And this would totally explain why the salmon had a small impact. Going to order that Vitashine D3 and hope it helps!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:14 pm 
Chard Martyr

vitamin d2 is not inferior in smaller doses. it seems that it may be less efficient in large doses like 50,000-100,000 IU Ginny Messina tweeted something about it recently.
the current recommendation is 600IU, but many doctors and dietitians feel this is too low. You might want to try taking a separate 2000 IU d2 supplement. But definitely get your vitamin D levels checked.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Veg_Eric wrote:
Dawley wrote:
He told me I was just tired because of my two year old. I just didn't see how it was possible. It's such a different tired. Fast forward to two weeks ago. For over a month, I couldn't get through a day without a nap. The exhaustion never left. It took everything I had to get out of bed. I was feeling confused, forgetful, felt like I had to concentrate just to stay conscious.

When I read this, I'm start to think you might have a depression instead of a nutrient deficiency.

This. I'm still not convinced mine was 100% depression but I was feeling very much like you, down to not feeling comfortable driving. I've been on it about 6 months and feel much better. I still have to take things easier than before and not overdo it. Like two days ago I started on the second phase of Insanity and I'm still really tired even though I skipped yesterday. My physical is in the morning and I plan on getting all vitamin levels checked.

As for your daughter's rash, I would seek out a topical allergy test. As it happens, as I was dealing with my extreme fatigue, I was also having really awful rashes. Turns out was just having contact dermatitis to a certain preservative...I would have never figured that out without a doc who specializes in allergies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

is it possible you're pregnant? i have a two year old two, and nothing made me feel as shitty as going through first trimester with a toddler. i wasn't nearly as nauseous as i was the first time, so if i hadn't been trying to get pregnant, i might have missed it. but i was SO tired all the time, and constantly trying to sleep, and feeling really depressed about getting through the day, and even feeling foggy and forgetful. and then suddenly i started feeling better, and then my pants started to feel snug :)

i dunno, i'd take a pee test just to rule it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I know exactly what type of exhaustion you are talking about! And it is scary. About 6 or so years ago I had a rough period where I was so mentally and physically exhausted all the time that I would just start crying from the severe confusion that came along with it. I couldn't express myself clearly and I couldn't function. It was not due to veganism and I had blood work done that all came back very normal and good. My doctor at the time couldn't figure anything out. Eventually it ran it's course and I started to feel better. I think I had just started trying veganism and maybe was only vegan for a few months when this happened. So I gave up and went back to my normal diet thinking that I failed miserably and couldn't be vegan because it was making me sick. Not true!

Fast forward to now, I found out that I have a gluten intolerance. And it was making me severely exhausted, inflamed, and ill. Since cutting out gluten I feel a million times better than I ever have. I also started taking some vitamin d supplements.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:32 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Keep pushing doctors to take you seriously. Sometimes polite people fall into a trap of downplaying their symptoms at the doctor. I don't know if you're that sort of person, but if so, you might consider taking a friend or relative with you who will help you express how much of an impact these symptoms are having on you.

I hope you find an answer and get to feeling better soon.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm just speculating here, but I wonder if the omega 3 in fish might have made you feel slightly better. There are vegan DHA supplements that supply omega 3; Deva makes one that's derived from algae.

bird noises | book of faces

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:17 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Littlebird - I am definitely not pregnant. I can only imagine how fatigued you get being pregnant while taking care of another child! When I was pregnant I used to wonder how anyone did it while raising kids!! But this fatigue is totally different. So hard to explain.
Gracia Kai - I have thought of gluten intolerance before, but thought it couldn't be me. I have read that reactions can happen long after eating gluten so it's hard to recognize. I think I might cut out gluten. I just feel like something is wrong. And it would explain why fish made me feel better. Every time I ate it with some sort of rice and vegetables. No gluten involved. Definitely something for me to consider.

I am not sure it's Vitamin D. I took a supplement the day before yesterday and it made me sick ( like the toxicity symptoms...nausea, loss of appetite, upset stomach ). I didn't take it yesterday and was fine. Took it today and got sick again so I am guessing it's not the issue.
I think I am going to elimate gluten for a week or 2 and if I still feel the same, head back to the doctor with a list of things you all have mentioned!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Keep in mind that if you want to be tested for a gluten intolerance, you cant cut it out. It has to be fresh in your system for good results. I had two primary docs and an ortho spine doc refuse me for testing because I wasnt showing normal signs for celiac. But I took the advice of a chiropractor and his wife who does acupuncture and chinese medicine. I went gluten free on Easter and at this point I am 100% improved. But it took more than a few weeks to start seeing results.

Maybe it was just the brand that is making you sick? Did you eat before you took it?

The vegan dha sounds like a good idea too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:55 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I would like to try cutting it out on my own since it looks like tests can be unreliable and then you're stuck doing it on your own anyways. Plus we have drained our HSA account between all my tests and my daughter's for her soy allergy. I would like to avoid another doctor bill for now if possible.:) I saw this test (http://www.glutenfreeveganmom.com/2012/ ... c-testing/) and have 5 symptoms in the first section and 2 in the last. So I feel like this might be a good route to try.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Hmmm and 85% of people with PCOS ( something I have although very mild) test positive for gluten intolerance...interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:21 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Please keep us updated. I will be very excited if something as relatively simple as cutting out gluten (even though it can be a pain in the asparagus) relieves you of such a scary and draining malady. Best!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:49 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have recently been battling the same thing (although at first my vitamin levels were NOT okay iron, B12, Vitamin D, potassium and magnesium. I do take a multi. I don't absorb it well)

My gyno has told me that PCOS has the ability to cause extreme exhaustion in itself. It's a sign there is a cyst growing and you're tired because your body is working hard to fight it off. Maybe see if you have something going on there.

Also your sleep cycle could be wonky. Like not getting enough REM sleep, sleeping too little. And if you're depressed that will aggravate the lack of sleep to begin with. I have recently learned the hard way that although I didn't think I was depressed, once I sat down and went over some things with my doctor, I'm actually bipolar and I'm not sleeping well as a result. Try laying out everything you can, journaling your sleep, your feelings and so on and take that with you to your doctor. Someone on here suggested I do that and although it hasn't improved all my issues, I'm feel less exhausted.

I also had a cyst burst at the end of May so that could have something to do with it as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:11 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

So we took my daughter to the allergist this morning for a food-related rash. The doctor read our paperwork which asked about parental allergies and said to me, "Are you positive you don't have any allergies? Have you ever been tested for wheat?" So weird to hear that after seeing it mentioned on this forum. He noticed I had hives on my chest. I said it wasn't from food. He said he knew it was from me being nervous but he sees it in all of his gluten patients. I told him my other symptoms and he said I could get tested but that the tests aren't accurate in finding all types of gluten intolerances. Even if it's negative you can still have an i tolerance. He suggested I eliminate gluten and report back to him in 6 months at my daughter's follow up checkup. So funny how things work out like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I really hope it's Gluten!!

Not really, but if it is than good that you were able to find out and stop wondering. It is a bit of a pain, but once you are past the cravings it really isn't that hard. This site should help a lot! Good luck and keep us posted.

http://xgfx.org/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:55 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I realize that I am a little late to this thread but I just wanted to chime in. The way that you describe your exhaustion is how I feel when I eat gluten. I seem to be able to get away with some gluten, but if I eat bread I get beyond exhausted starting about 12 hours later. It isn't a normal tired feeling and it for me it lasts a couple days to get out of my system. It is kind of a pain at first to remove gluten from your diet but I really hope that it helps you start to feel better. That extreme exhaustion is terrible.

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2