| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ever have slow healing/bad surgical result blamed on diet
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:31 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I had hand/wrist surgery which has resulted in not curing the problem I had it for and in addition the nerves are overactive, overly sensative and painful. When the surgeon that did the surgery didn't seem to be acknowledging my concerns I went to another one that is supposed to be the best at a well known hospital outside my area. In my most recent visit he seemed to be blaming my poor results on low vitamin D levels. Normal is 35-80 I was at 19 at my last visit and 17 some months before my surgery.

To be clear so I get clear answer I am not vegan ( It's a goal I am interested in reaching so I joined plus I love PPK cooking) I am pescatarian my diet is about 90% vegetarian. I essence I should not be short on nutrients. I told him this the doctor what my diet consisted of. He didn't seem to be biased against vegetarianism he said he himself observes a unprocessed food very low meat diet. He said he himself had suffered a b-12 deficiency at one time.

I feel good about making the changes I have made in my diet and I want to keep going. I've been at this about 2.5 years. However, I believe my hand/wrist may be permanently damaged. No asks you before surgery what kind of diet you observe. Everyone assumes you eat a heavily meat diet I guess. I did find a recent medical article that reccomends dosing up on Vitamin D before orthopedic surgery but no bone was involved mine. The doctor did seem to think it was crucial. I am on 50,000 IU's of Vitamin D weekly.

Furthermore I am having problems with exhaustion. I am reading up and finding out soy can mess with your thyroid. I am not a huge consumer of it but I've been trying to incorporate more of it into my diet. Mostly experimenting with Tofu. I went to a doctor (not the surgeon) to try to get my thyroid tested and he basically refuseand just ran a CBC saying if my thyroid was off the other chemistries would be on that test. I drink one to 2 cups almond milk daily. I did get somewhat lax about my B-12 supplements for a couple of months. I started increasing B-12 after surgery along with vitamin C after reading articles saying it could be helpful.

I could have another surgery which may or may not cure my problem I could end up worse off. Right now the treatment is supposed to be continuous splinting (which limits movement) and attempts to desensitize the area by rubbing various textures of items (different types of cloth. brushes ect) with hope the nerves will calm down.

Have you ever had a bad surgical result blamed on your diet? Do you heal easily? Any thoughts on this. I am feeling pretty discouraged by all of this. I want to continue to reduce the animal products in my diet and be healthy.

Post subject: Re: Ever have slow healing/bad surgical result blamed on die
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:27 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Hi Sophiagrt. Welcome to the PPK.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble after your surgery. That sounds painful and frustrating. I'm glad you got a doctor to listen to you and take you seriously.

I've never had a problem after surgery (only really had minor surgeries) but I do have a severe vitamin D deficiency. Did your doctor specifically point to your diet as a problem, or did he just mention the vitamin D levels? Vitamin D deficiency is quite often not diet-related, but rather lack-of-sun related, and it's apparently epidemic in many areas of North America and Northern Europe regardless of diet. (You didn't mention where you live.) So he may not have been blaming your diet directly, and it sounds like he's pretty cool with vegetarianism.

I don't really know anything about how a deficiency could affect surgical/healing results, but I do know that one of the main symptoms is fatigue/exhaustion, so I'm guessing your exhaustion is probably related to that, if nothing else shows up in your bloodwork. I think soy is only a potential problem is you already have thyroid issues; it doesn't cause thyroid problems if you don't have them.

Don't let this deficiency scare you off of your dietary changes. Like I said, a lot of people have this regardless of diet, and even if you get enough from the sun and in your diet, some people simply don't absorb vitamin D efficiently. I hope you start feeling better soon, both on the healing and exhaustion front, and I hope you find a fix for your wrist, surgical or otherwise. Good luck.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Post surgery, you do need to increase your protein intake to help rebuild your tissue. I definitely can't say what your specific issue is, but protein does help with faster surgery recovery and wound healing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had major foot surgery last summer and I was told to eat more protein. Other than that though, nobody mentioned diet. I guess it never occurred to me that my surgeon WOULD ask me about my diet. I ended up healing right on schedule.

As lepelaar said, a lot of folks that eat meat are deficient in vitamin D....I wouldn't blame that on your diet. Have you spoken with your surgeon about these sorts of worries?

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com