| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: could this be allergies?
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:51 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I have problems with acne and my diet aggravates it. I recently was put on Nicomide supplement, which worked wonders immediately. However, some time went in between when my prescription needed to be refilled and when I was able to get it (say, 4 weeks) and I just started taking it again this Friday morning.

I've had stomach upset all week, and alot of weird sounds and feelings coming from my abdomen around my hipbones. It feels like just gas or discomfort, but my appetite has been close to nonexistent the last week, which I associated with stress. Friday night I went running on the treadmill and my heartrate was insanely high because of my recent inactivity (and by recent I just mean since the schoolyear started).

Around mid-day yesterday my cheek was starting to show some spotting and it looked like acne scarring. I didn't really mind it. I figured it was from dehydration making the color of the scars more apparent. They only come out when I'm dehydrated or my skin is irritated. So, I figured it was nothing and continued taking Nicomide. I woke up this morning and there is a WHOLE LOT of red pimple-like dots that aren't whiteheads trailing down my cheeks, chin, neck, ending at my collarbone. My first thought was an allergic reaction.

Things I've done differently lately : started taking my B12 supplement more regularly; Exercised and reached a dangerous heartrate Friday night; had a burrito bowl from Chipotle; Resumed taking Nicomide; Tested makeup on my face on Monday

Does any of this make sense? I don't want to go to meet my boyfriend's mom with this rash all over my face. I have 3 days. I also can't afford to go to the doc at this point...Anyone experience something similar?

Post subject: Re: could this be allergies?
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:26 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I found out that extreme exercising can cause pressure on the blood vessels, if that seems like an odd detail...

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:32 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

What do mean by "dangerous heart rate?"

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

It kept reaching 180 bpm. Granted I'm new to keeping track of my heart rate at all so maybe this is normal for cardio beginners (haven't been on a treadmill for almost a year but dread it more than any other form of cardio). I read that exhaustive exercise can lead to these bumps, too by mechanisms I can't remember now.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:41 am 
Nailed to the V

180 isn't all that dangerous, it's high but not that bad in the grand scheme of things if it's not prolonged. For exercise it's about where I am running at high exertion. Are you using a strap HRM or the machines? The machines are always off.

Anyway, it sounds like maybe a heat rash from exertion and dehydration. Also, it could be the B12. If you've taken the Nicomide in the past without issue it's probably stress and exertion. Stress can also cause the upset stomach and discomfort.

Also: not a doctor, and if you are having problems I highly suggest visiting a physician.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks Xanthia--- I woke and it was still there. I'm drinking ample clear fluids now, but before I was slightly dehydrated. I had what I thought to be heart problems earlier this semester that were summed up as stress-induced. Ever since I've been so careful not to overdo it and to remain calm, using some new tactics to prevent stressing out (like sleeping enough, resting when I feel stressed/rushed, asking my boyfriend for help so I can focus, taking care of things in increments so nothing piles up, etc). I will be seriously disappointed if it is stress related.

I might just have to visit the doctor... The only thing is I have finals today and tomorrow and going to the doc is lower on my list of priorities, as sad as it is to say. I don't mean it's not important, but these 2 grades are very important to me.
I feel like an idiot choosing something that should be second over my health.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:42 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

fauxfrancais wrote:
It kept reaching 180 bpm. Granted I'm new to keeping track of my heart rate at all so maybe this is normal for cardio beginners (haven't been on a treadmill for almost a year but dread it more than any other form of cardio). I read that exhaustive exercise can lead to these bumps, too by mechanisms I can't remember now.

Everyone's HR is different. Mine hits 210 fairly routinely, and I am in very good shape. I recently did a test to determine my threshold power output (the amount of work I can sustain for an hour), and I pegged my HR at 200 for 20 straight minutes. That is to say, it's all relative. Each person has different HR zones.

I also think exhaustive exercise is based on basically depleting all your glycogen stores, rather than reaching any particular heart rate? If you're running on a treadmill for a relatively short amount of time (less than an hour), I don't believe that would be considered exhaustive exercise (even if you feel exhausted afterward).

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

That was really helpful, thank you. When I went for my echocardiogram they said that my heartrate climbed too high too soon and it was at 186 or so within 5 minutes of moderate and 2 minutes of quicker and more intense exercise. I figured the reason it was considered unhealthy was based on the fact that my heartrate climbed that high that quick rather than being about only the number itself; would that be right? I know I'm a little out of shape, and usually working out really helps my complexion instead of producing this rash, so I'm so confused about whether it had anything to do with the rash at all.

I haven't felt 100% all week...I can never tell when I'm stressed as it's happening, so it's been the most ridiculous struggle to have to realize when I'm stressed out. It shouldn't be this hard! If I can go to the student health center I'm just going to make the time and see someone today. Hopefully they'll be open after my test.