| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Intuitive Eating
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:31 am 
WRETCHED

I've been doing well! I finished reading "Health at Every Size" and I think it really did give me a positive outlook. I've read things about intuitive eating before where the premise was that eating intuitively will make you 'skinny' which didn't make much sense to me. I am hoping to keep doing what I'm doing (eating when hungry, focusing on healthier foods, not restricting, exercising for health) that I will stabilize at a good weight for myself. If that weight still leaves me obese, so be it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:02 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

linanil wrote:
I've been doing well! I finished reading "Health at Every Size" and I think it really did give me a positive outlook. I've read things about intuitive eating before where the premise was that eating intuitively will make you 'skinny' which didn't make much sense to me. I am hoping to keep doing what I'm doing (eating when hungry, focusing on healthier foods, not restricting, exercising for health) that I will stabilize at a good weight for myself. If that weight still leaves me obese, so be it.

I don't think intuitive eating will necessarily make you skinny, but I strongly believe it can help you reach a weight that is healthy for your body type which for you may or may not be our societies definition of "skinny". Studies have shown that people who practice intuitive eating do often lose weight at a slow steady pace, but not as much as people who restrict calories. The difference is that people who restrict calories are far more likely to regain all or most of the weight that they lost.

I don't really like talking about weight loss anymore, but I think it's good to be honest about and realistic about how this lifestyle may affect your body. Some people lose weight, some people gain or maintain. I will say that thanks to the way intuitive eating has radically changed my relationship with food and exercise I can tell that my clothes are looser, my face is thinner and I am gaining a lot of muscle. Most importantly, I am so much happier.

If I stepped on a scale today I wouldn't be surprised if my weight was the same or even increased because of the amount of muscle I've gained. The scale is pretty worthless. I may not be getting skinny fast, but I am leading a very healthy lifestyle which is resulting in some changes in my appearance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:36 pm 
WRETCHED

Nebraskalaska wrote:
linanil wrote:

I don't think intuitive eating will necessarily make you skinny, but I strongly believe it can help you reach a weight that is healthy for your body type which for you may or may not be our societies definition of "skinny". Studies have shown that people who practice intuitive eating do often lose weight at a slow steady pace, but not as much as people who restrict calories. The difference is that people who restrict calories are far more likely to regain all or most of the weight that they lost.

I don't really like talking about weight loss anymore, but I think it's good to be honest about and realistic about how this lifestyle may affect your body. Some people lose weight, some people gain or maintain. I will say that thanks to the way intuitive eating has radically changed my relationship with food and exercise I can tell that my clothes are looser, my face is thinner and I am gaining a lot of muscle. Most importantly, I am so much happier.

If I stepped on a scale today I wouldn't be surprised if my weight was the same or even increased because of the amount of muscle I've gained. The scale is pretty worthless. I may not be getting skinny fast, but I am leading a very healthy lifestyle which is resulting in some changes in my appearance.

At my lowest (adult) weight, I was still obese having lost a lot of weight but struggled because I figured I was doing something wrong. I think the idea that naturally, there are a variety of body shapes and sizes is freeing. I'm not worried about my weight right now which is also freeing, I figure I'll let my body do what it needs to do and let the chips fall where they may. I'm definitely happier in my new mind frame although it is still new to me, the obsession with food and weight loss was mentally draining.

Last night, I went out to dinner and I ordered a veggie sandwich with a side of fries. I usually have fries once or twice per year and usually eat them all. Anyway, I ate half of my veggie sandwich, decided the bread was a bit too dry so ate the innards of my other half then had about 1/3rd of my fries. The fries were sitting in front of me the entire time while talking/others were eating and I didn't pick at them or even think about them, which was kind of amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:17 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I haven't been doing that great that past two days, but I think even "normal" eaters have times where they don't eat intuitively. My birthday was a few days ago, and then there was a fancy dinner out the next night, so I've definitely overindulged on foods I don't eat so much of in such a short period of time (pancakes, pizza, cupcakes, soda, cookies. OOF). This weekend I'm going to Las Vegas so there will be even more opportunities to overeat.

I'm going to refocus and try really hard to eat intuitively this weekend, even if it is a special occasion. There will be donuts, fancy dinners, etc. but I just need to listen to my body, and not my brain telling me it's okay to eat until I'm uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:01 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I was out for lunch today with some coworkers and I was eating a pita with the best falafel ever. I was getting really full, but I was like, dude, best falafel ever, I can't stop eating! Then I thought of this thread and how silly I was being and just stopped eating. So thanks for starting this thread. :)

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:20 pm 
WRETCHED

It'd be hard for me to stop too with best falafel ever!

One of my biggest challenges are days when I'm tired and since my caffeine intake is somewhat limited now, it is a struggle. Often, I've turned to food when I'm tired because I figured it'd perk me up. Last night, I didn't get a lot of sleep and at one point, I was like "hey I think I'm hungry". No, I was just tired. I did a little exercise and that helped. I keep in mind "If hunger isn't the problem, then food isn't the solution" which helps as well :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:52 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I did so well on my trip to Vegas this weekend! I was really good about not falling into the mindset that I needed to eat everything on my plate since I wouldn't get to eat those foods again for a long time. I typically could only eat 1/4 or 1/2 of the food I was served so my husband was super happy he got my leftovers.

I even did a full yoga session and ran on the treadmill in the hotel gym. I don't think I've exercised on vacation before in my life.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:10 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

linanil wrote:
I keep in mind "If hunger isn't the problem, then food isn't the solution" which helps as well :)

I love this!

Awesome job, Nebraskaalaska!

I finally ordered the Intuitive Eating book on my Kindle. I've read some stuff on the internet before, but I'm finally admitting that I've had a messed up relationship with food for many, many years and I want to work through it. The hardest thing was putting weight loss on the back burner.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:32 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm working on becoming an intuitive eater, and letting go of the various baggage that I give to food and the scale. Now that I am in a regular exercise routine that includes strength training, the scale started going the "wrong" way, despite my restricting and trying to make it go the "right" way. I've been stuck in a gain-and-loss cycle, albeit a relatively small one thanks to having to maintain my weight in a healthy BMI range to keep my job. It's still very frustrating. I looked back at my running log and compared it to my weight tracker on my phone, and noticed almost immediately that mileage increases led to 3 lb gains, and as I ran a little less, it would go down, then back up after a long run. Now that I am gaining muscle, it's really taken some jumps.

Furthermore, I also saw a relationship between my "good" runs and the amount of food I'd eaten the previous day. I needed about 20 extra WW points the previous day in order for a 3+ mile run to feel good and not like drudgery. It sucks to feel like you're restricting and not losing and on top of it your running performance is going down the toilet.

I had a good wake-up call when I came across a photo from 2 years ago at the Weight Watchers Walk-It challenge. I looked so different than I do now, so I was curious what my weight was...I looked up the date and found my weight in the tracker, and to my surprise it was only 4-6 lbs heavier than I am now (depending on what day of the week and what exercise I did in the previous couple of days). The visual difference is much, much more. So that was what I needed to see that I really need to stop giving too much credence to the scale, because not all of the gains I am experiencing at the moment are bad.

So I stopped tracking about 2 weeks ago, after doing it daily for more than 2 years. It was weird at first, but I'm used to it now. I'm just trying to make good choices and listen to my body. It seems to be working so far, and it's nice to not spend all day thinking about food like I did when I was tracking.

I hid the scale in the closet for the past 2 weeks too. I decided to take it out today to check in, and I am lower than I was when I put it away, and I haven't been hungry, and my runs/exercise feel much better. I'm starting to feel like my relationship with food is becoming a little more "normal." That feels really good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:37 am 
WRETCHED

Staying off the scale is so hard. I have 2 scales now too but 1 is still in the box.

I'm still waking up in the middle of the night hungry too which is a great annoyance to me. Great annoyance.

Yesterday, I had a funny moment though. For a while, I was addicted to these things Target has to add to your water, one of them is lime margarita? or mojito? I'm not sure. I've been trying to break from artificial sweeteners in general though but I ended up buying a large box of them. I haven't touched them in weeks, been drinking a lot of homemade iced tea and water. Yesterday, I got the munchies short after eating lunch. The munchies being "I want to eat but not sure what". So I kept telling myself, pecans? that is close but not quite what I want. I'll wait. Hour later, still feeling the munchies. Then I thought, "target drink?" and yes that was it, which happens to be stored next to the pecans but I made myself my little drink and the munchies disappeared. It was totally amazing to me that what I thought was food and hunger, wasn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for sharing, karichelle. Your story really resonates with me, because I, too, am realizing slowly but surely that the scale and the weight is so much less important than how you are treating yourself and how you wear the weight. I am in much better shape now than I was 3 years ago, even though I weigh pretty much the same as I did then. Between now and then, my weight was about 10-15 pounds lighter than it is now, but it was a huge struggle to maintain that lower weight. I had to restrict a ton, and work out way more than I do now. I was miserable, but I thought I was happy because I weighed less.

Now, I weigh slightly more, but I feel better. It is much easier to maintain this weight than the lighter weight, and by exercising less, I don't dread it as much. My body has changed though, as a result of weighing less previously. I have more muscle and am more toned than I was 3 years ago. So I am wearing the weight differently, and I am still in the healthy BMI range, so I have just decided that I need to let this go. Maybe I'll never weigh less than this again, and that's okay. I am healthy and (getting to a place where I can be) happier.

Linanil, I am so glad you've been updating us on your progress, because I can relate to a lot of what you've said, too. And I absolutely love the quote you shared about hunger and how food is not the solution if you're not truly hungry. Keep the updates coming.

Nebraskalaska, bravo on your continued success with IE. It give me so much hope that this is going to work for me, too. I am about 4 or 5 chapters into the IE book, and am taking the time to let the words soak in and understand each step.

And lobsteriffic, I know how it feels to realize you've had a negative relationship with food, and that it needs to be remedied. I'm on this journey with you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:39 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

linanil wrote:
I'm still waking up in the middle of the night hungry too which is a great annoyance to me. Great annoyance.

I deal with this too. If it's a constant issue for you I think you should be totally okay to let yourself eat until you are comfortably full at dinner (or whatever your last meal of the day is, for me it is Second Dinner). Normally I only eat until I'm satisfied and just shy of full, but that usually results in me being hungry 1 - 3 hours later. If I know I'm about to be in a situation where I won't be able to eat for 4 or more hours I usually choose to eat a little more to avoid getting overly hungry alter.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I usually eat a snack around 9-10 pm and that helps me stave off waking up hungry in the middle of the night. I typically go to bed between 11 and midnight, so it's a small and light snack.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:50 am 
Ninja Master

I just ordered the book to see if I think it's for me.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:18 am 
WRETCHED

So for the last few days I haven't had hunger pangs at night, yay!

One night, I had dinner early (wasn't feeling very well, had a little soup), then got hungry at 9pm. I actually have an aversion to eating late at night, so much so that I will go to bed starving if I have to but since I've been trying to listen to my hunger, I haven't had hunger before bed. So I made a light smoothie at 9pm, drank it and then wasn't hungry until 9am the next morning.

Then the night following, I was slightly hungry before bed and I had a couple pecans and I was again not hungry until 9am.

The funny thing is that my husband is one of those mystical naturally thin people and he will eat right before bed every night. I always thought it was the weirdest thing but I guess if he is following his hungry, he'd think it is crazy to go to bed hungry. And I wrote this in the other thread BUT one of my pairs of capris that was too tight just a couple months ago is now way to loose. Makes me a little sad because I really liked them but I'll take loose!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:26 am 
WRETCHED

And welcome baps! I think the hardest part is learning to not use food as a coping mechanism, I've used food to cope since I was a young child. When I was bored, frustrated, stressed, angry, sad, tired, etc, you name it, food was there. The other aspect is listening to your body and how food makes you feel. I know it isn't a problem for vegans but my family is lactose intolerant and I've known so many people are but they figure the pain is worth the taste of cheese/ice cream/etc. If something makes you feel icky, bloated, sluggish, then listening to your body and saying either you should only eat it in small quantities or not eat it at all is difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:42 am 
Ninja Master

I think for me it's learning when I really am hungry. Sometimes I feel really hungry but I've eaten a big meal not that long before and if I do eat something I then feel sick. And also learning it's ok not to finish stuff when I'm full.

I grew up in a house obsessed with calories (still live there) and it's exhausting hearing about calories all the time and getting the look of 'should you be eating that' if I eat something that might not be especially low calorie.

And I fall into bad patterns a lot, of restricting calories for a while, losing a bunch of weight then giving up completely and piling it back on. I don't wanna live like that anymore and I've been feeling a lot better lately and eating a bit more and making better food choices.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:28 am 
WRETCHED

I think for me I was interpreting boredom/stress as hunger which is definitely an issue.

A food journal might be able to help you identify patterns between the food you eat, why you ate it and your hunger levels after. I'm no expert but some of the stuff I've been reading indicates that you are hungry after eating a meal that the meal itself wasn't satisfying either physiologically or psychologically. If it wasn't what your body truly wanted, then yes your body is going to say "hey, I didn't ask for this, I wanted that" or it could be that the meal caused a physiological reaction like an insulin spike which would cause some hunger after a meal.

And I grew up in a similar household and actually recently visited and told my mom that I didn't want to hear about weight, calories, or diet and she did pretty good but I know it is hard. It was something ingrained in her since she was young and all the women in my family are diet crazy and some of the men.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

One thing I've noticed is I'm not hungry then all of a sudden I'm totally starving. Does that happen to anyone else? It's rather awkward when 5 minutes after I refuse food I need food - it looks like I just didn't want them to get me food! I wonder if I should be looking into IE but here is where I'm at - I'd appreciate the views of those of you who are doing IE and have read the book as I'm good at buying books but bad at reading them (the therapy is in the buying!) I'd like to know if you think it might be useful for me.

I was put on a restrictive diet by my mum when I was 14 or 15 and my lunch each day was a diet yogurt. I took to stealing food. As a young adult I tried lots of diets (Beverly Hills which I think is more or less the Hay diet, F Plan, just counting calories etc) and regardless of whether I was actively dieting I would avoid adding any protein to food my vegetarian food as pulses, tofu etc added calories and no other benefit as far as I was concerned back then, these days I like those foods in their own right. My eating was erratic and diet very poor for many years, I'd starve all day to eat a Mars bar in the evening.

I tried the 'eating when I was hungry' many years back (as long as I was hungry I could eat whatever I wanted, it was touted as 'how slim people eat' at the time). Although it was a little tricky sometimes trying to manage when you're hungry around when you get a meal break at work I have to say it worked pretty well - until I had some short dated food to eat which I ate when I wasn't hungry and that was it, I was out of the mindset and couldn't get back into it. (Falling out of routines and off wagons seems to be my default, it only takes one blip!) One useful thing I got from Paul McKenna was that the food is gone whether you eat it or bin it - and why use your body as a bin so as not to 'waste' food. That was a revelation.

But when I was trying to do the eat when you're hungry thing again a few years back I found I wasn't eating enough as I just wasn't hungry. I waited for things to normalise but they didn't. Previous to this I hadn't dieted for about 10 years so you couldn't really say it was old patterns from that - which is what PMcK said when I mentioned it. I had trouble with some of the other stuff you had to do as part of his system so put it on the back burner and, as is my pattern, never went back to it.

A few years later a nutritionist told me I (and everyone) should eat every four hours regardless of whether I was hungry to keep blood sugar up. Which surely goes against IE?

Then last year I had a year of regular exercise - an hour three times a week. And I really struggled with having to eat breakfast and have enough protein etc to get the benefit from the training and they advised to eat just after training as well. I ended up in a right pickle as I was having to eat when I really didn't want to and then I ended up eating too much and putting on inches instead of maintaining or losing. I stopped the training because of the xmas break and my ideal time slots being unavailable. Now it's almost August and my planned workouts at home have never begun . . . I do hate exercise!

I think it's interesting about not having the right food psychologically. I've been vegan for over 20 years and sometimes I'll go through quite a few different snacks which all fail to satisfy because they aren't quite what I want - what I want is some non vegan snack from my youth, or 'real' cooked food which is not available when I need it. But eating a succession of 'wrong' things instead of one 'right' thing is quite waist increasing!

Sorry for such a long post, I hope some of you have waded through it and can give me your views. I feel like I never learnt to eat properly (not helped by not cooking) and that dieting and shiftwork have messed up my normal body clock and hunger patterns to the point where they may never come back to allow me to eat intuitively healthily.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:32 pm 
WRETCHED

So how did you determine you weren't eating enough previously? Did you end up underweight? Did you have any issues? How much protein were you eating when you didn't think you were getting enough?

I have to say that I'm surprised how little I'm eating but I'm not trying to count calories, I'm eating a lot of nutrient dense foods because that is what I want to eat right now. I'm eating 1-2 smoothies per day right now (it is summer, not sure if winter will be the same) and I do tweak the nutrient contents a little by adding certain things. I think part of eating what I want involves making sure I'm getting the nutrients I need and there are ways to boost nutrient contents of things that you are eating if you think you are lacking.

The normalizing blood sugar thing is partly a diet 'trick' but it is also how your body feels. Unless you are feeling groggy, irritable, etc due to not eating, I wouldn't worry about trying to eat every few hours regardless of hunger.

This is my 2nd or 3rd attempt at IE and I failed miserably the first times but I think my mindset was different. I've also gone through a period where I have been punishing myself with food, eating food that I didn't enjoy because I was limiting it and not trying to nourish my body. My mindset is different right now and I do hope it lasts. I am trusting that my body knows what it wants because the stuff I had been eating previously surely wasn't what it wanted but I ate it anyway.

As for the non-vegan snack, is there anything you can do similar to it? Can you make it? Can you buy a version that is similar? I have found that things that used to hold power over me, things I used to love taste better in my memory than in reality.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:21 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I wasn't hungry very often and almost as soon as I began eating I would stop feeling hungry so I'd stop eating. I realised I was only eating between 500-900 calories a day because, like many people, I'm a calorie computer in the back of my mind when I let myself think about it! When I did eat I wasn't eating particularly good food. I wasn't exercising but I was losing weight, however I didn't want to continue eating that way because the whole point was to fix my bad eating habits and (after 10 years of not dieting) I was afraid my body would experience this as a crash diet and go into 'starvation mode' leading me to ultimately gain weight in the future - it wasn't meant to be a diet. I did give it a while, hoping normal hunger patterns would kick in but they didn't. But I've eaten so erratically and at various times so badly that maybe IE won't work for me because my body has no intuition about eating left after 33 years of being messed around!

The time I think I wasn't eating anywhere near enough protein was when I would eat mainly vegetable stews and soups. These were made of vegetables only, no pulses - I was calorie aware and didn't like pulses or grains anyway. I would also eat crisps, chocolates and sometimes white bread as well. I'm in a better position now because I actually enjoy pulses, grains and tofu these days (though I still avoid fruit) but back then I thought they were disgusting. I took no notice of nutritional needs my whole life til recently and it's still a real struggle now because I never really learnt even the theory of how to eat properly and have a balanced diet. When a nutritionist looked at my diet a year or so back she said I still didn't eat enough protein even though I regularly eat houmous and fake meats. So trying to up my protein for training was a real challenge and led me to eat porridge with added protein powder which I had to force down each morning (but I could only bring myself to do it on the mornings I was training).

As for the non vegan snack cravings they aren't always the same thing or even an exact thing but discovering peanut chews and the release of Go Max bars has helped as it's often a chewy toffee/chocolatey thing I crave!

It's interesting that you're still letting your intellect steer what you eat to be nutritionally good, I never did that - for me it was all about eating whatever you fancy and stopping when you're full.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:44 am 
WRETCHED

Well for me, I was eating pretty poorly for the last year and it didn't feel good. I knew it didn't feel good. Summer has also always been a time where I tend to eat better than other months so it may be that since I started now, I'm steering myself toward better foods.

The book I read that I mentioned previously is "Health at Every Size" and I think that is what has helped me in that you don't restrict foods because restriction isn't good but you also think about how foods make you feel after you eat them. So sure if I wanted a cupcake, I could eat it but how would I feel physically after eating it? depends, if it was the only thing I ate, probably not good. If I ate half a cupcake with a small meal, I'd probably feel better after than if I was just eating a cupcake. So for me it is not only eating what I want but realizing that I want to feel good physically and some foods don't do that for me, at least if I eat them exclusively.

I've recently been able to bring bread back into the house (like good bread) and it is funny that some mornings, all I want is hummus with bread and tomatoes but other days, I don't want any bread. I used to eat entire meals of just bread and a loaf of good bread wouldn't last long in the house. If I want the bread, I know it is there but it just so odd how I don't want it? Again, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I know that I feel bloated if I eat lots of bread and sure hummus/bread is good but I also know I like other things as well.

I've also been dieting for 33 years or so, I'm 38 now and I remember being 5 or 6 and my mother worried about my weight. I don't know the answer about what to do overall if you find yourself never normalizing but you could possibly try setting yourself up in such a way that if you don't feel hunger every 4 hours throughout the day, maybe have something small. It might be that your body needs a little help to know a normal eating schedule.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

linanil wrote:
. . . if you don't feel hunger every 4 hours throughout the day, maybe have something small. It might be that your body needs a little help to know a normal eating schedule.

That's a good suggestion. I haven't been dieting for the whole 33 years (I've been not dieting for the past 12-15 years) but I don't cook, eat junk food and I did shiftwork for years so my eating is all messed up. I often won't eat or drink anything at all til 3pm or 4pm because it doesn't occur to me or I'm busy. Sometimes I accidentally don't eat anything til the evening and then I despite only being a bit hungry before and having a good sized meal I find after eating all I want to do is eat more and more!

One thing the nutritionist said is if you're eating cake you have to have protein beforehand or you send your blood sugar crazy, so it's best to eat a bit of cake after a meal. I think she also said if you start the day with a huge sugar hit & no protein (I used to have black coffee with caramel syrup) your body is upset for the entire day. I try to think of that when I want cake for breakfast! (She was very good but I stopped going to see her because I just found it embarrassing to keep going back and saying 'I'm still not eating regularly despite promising to at every previous session'.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't think you necessarily need to be hungry every 4 hours to be "healthy": I know that when I was eating disordered I needed to eat 4-5 meals or more a day and I was always thinking about it. I might not be recovered now but I definitely know I feel better eating 3 meals a day and only snacking when Im actually hungry. So what if its 5 hours and not 4 hours inbetween? There is so much conflicting science about how many times you should eat, I'd just toss it all out of your heads and try to figure out what works for the individual.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:04 am 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I only said 4 because I figured if you find yourself only eating 500-900 calories/day, it'd be something to kickstart. I don't think there is any ideal number but maybe if you get yourself in a rhythm, then your body will start doing it for you eventually. I guess I eat every 5 hours or so, but it really depends on the day. I haven't eaten more than 4 times per day since I started following my hunger, sometimes 3, sometimes 4, depends on the day.