| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hornet Stings!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:01 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I got stung twice by hornets last week. I'd never been stung before (OW!), and now, a week later, my bites are INSANELY itchy, and I'm worried one of them might be infected, though it could also just be a reaction to the stings. If things aren't getting better in a couple of days, I'll go see my doctor, but if I can avoid that, I'd rather avoid it. SO! What do you do about hornet stings? Is it normal for them to be crazy itchy forever?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Hornet Stings!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:06 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

This sounds kind of nuts, but aim a blow dryer at the sting and keep in on for 45 seconds to a minute or so (hot but definitely not burning you!). It should help stop the itch for 6-8 hours or so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I thought I had heard about using a paste made from crushed aspirin, but I just googled it and what I found was that icing it was better. Sorry about the stings! We've had loads of hornets (wasps??) this year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Benadryl and a nap.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:57 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, guys.

Boyfriend had benadryl last night, and it may have helped? We don't know, because it knocked him the fork out. As much as we'd both love to just spend the next week or so in a pink-pill haze, I think we need something longer acting, or at least something we can stay awake through! We've both put hydrocortisone on, and that seems to have helped a bit, but we're having a bit of a heatwave here, and that's making it worse. It's been over a week now!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:40 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I haven't had a sting since I was a kid but I remember it lasting for ages!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:19 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Helpful/not helpful? Heat on the bite has helped me in the past (either hot water, or I guess something like the hair dryer suggestion). It gets super itchy while the heat is there, and then there are piles of relief for a long time afterwards while the antihistamines or whatever scramble get their shiitake back together.

Also - hugs! That sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:47 pm 
Chard Martyr

I need an EpiPen for wasp and bee stings which seems crazy because I'm not allergic to anything else. But EpiPen's are some crazy shiitake and I need it administered very slowly over at least an hour under a doctor's supervision.

We have so many hornets at work and (knock on wood) I have escaped a sting so far. I hope you both feel better soon! We see a lot of kids get stung at events and wedding but if they are not allergic usually an ice cube stops the crying.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

I got stung or bit back in June by an unknown bug - three in a triangle on my left shoulder blade. My husband thought they were big yucky pimples, but they were bites or stings and lasted more than a month in intense itching off and on, and they still itch if I scratch that area by mistake.

So that's not very helpful, I guess, except that that shiitake can last a LONG time!

Also, I'm the one who said hi by the cafe last week. Nice to meet again and hope to see you soon! (Emily)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:30 am 
Chard Martyr

forking hell. I got stung three times the other day. My collar bone is swollen up like a third arm. Goddamn hornets!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I got stung yesterday on the way to the bus. Vinegar neutralizes the venom, which helps with the pain. As far as itching, heat with a blow dryer or hot water has worked wonders on poison ivy with me, so it's definitely a good bet.