| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ongoing flatulence making me miserable :(
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:57 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Helllpppp!! I feel like i have tried just about everything to try to take care of this problem all to no avail, now its been going on for probably a year and a half and im utterly miserable. its a constant problem. Im afraid to share a bed with anyone, or even a room. They are just rip-roaring frequently, and its miserable and uncomfortable. Its not good for my dating life either :/

I used to rarely, if ever, fart, most of my life. I was omni, then vegetarian, then vegan, then raw veganish, then back to vegan. i even went through periods of using a lot of soy and beans, etc, and this was never ever a problem. Over the last year and a half or so, my farts have gotten frequent and miserable. they are big and nasty. I feel like I am farting practically just about constantly . The only thing I can possibly pin it down to is that I used to eat a high raw mostly wholefoods diet with very very little junk and very little refined sugar etc. Then, over the past 2 years because of my job ive ended up eating a LOT of refined sugar during the summers. so i dont know if the sugar could be a culprit, but even when ive gone off sugar in the winters and taken heavy doses of enzymes and probiotics, its all to no avail. the farts continue. I dont know, its like i have upset my system to such an extent that there is no way to fix it or something. i want my old fart-free ways back :( I feel like a fart machine.

I feel like I have tried just about everything. I farted my way through last winter despite going back to a healthier diet, and its continued on throughout the summer. my diet turned to trash again this summer, so now its time to get back on a sugar free-ish whole foods diet and i really need to try to fix this problem. Soy and beans have been an almost non existent part of my diet during this time, and yet still the farts. I have tried cutting various dietary items out at various points, but all to no avail, and none of these are items i used to have problems with either. I have tried cutting out (not all at once) refined sugar, wheat, gluten, coconut oil, nooch, garlic, etc. anything i could think of that could be a culprit. all to no difference and no avail. I have tried large doses of probiotics and enzymes. all to no avail. I've tried chewing fennel and anise and eating ginger. all to no avail. I dont know what else to try but I dont want this to keep being my life. I dont know if in fact my system is just screwed up and needs to be "reset" somehow but i dont even know how else to do this, as the probiotics and enzymes havent even helped a bit, even when i was taking more than recommended. bleh :( it doesnt matter what i eat. whatever i eat, i fart. alot.

thanks for any advice anyone can offer. i want my old life back :(

Last edited by kaybee on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: ongoing flatulence making me miserable :(
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:07 pm 
Impressive boner

Sorry this is making you unhappy. I get it pretty uncomfortably at times but can usually identify a trigger, normally gluten or a lot of green leafy veg and I love spinach curry!

Have you tried peppermint oil? It's used here sometimes for IBS.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:16 pm 
Semen Strong

Would you be able to see a medical professional to help you? I'd be worried that there may be an underlying cause, as 8ball says, and you wouldn't want to resolve the symptom without resolving the cause. I don't know if you've tried things like Gas-X (simethicone), but for occasional gas that can be helpful, though it does sound like yours maybe more constant.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I used to have superfarts that were so awful-once, the person I share a bed with thought I had pooped the bed but it was just really tremendously stinky gas. When you tried cutting out certain foods, did you do a true elimination diet? If you didn't, you may have missed something. For me it was gluten :( no more death farts at least.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:56 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Ugh,I had this problem until I gave up onions of all forms. Have you tried keeping a food diary and also noting how gassy you are that day? You might see a trend if you do that for a few weeks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:40 pm 
Impressive boner

^Yep - I keep a diary of everything I eat and drink to try to identify triggers for my fatigue. It could be helpful if you haven't already tried it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:15 am 
Baking In The Flavor

gahhh. sorry for not responding back to this thread sooner, no internet at home, and its been down in town.

Thanks for your suggestions. oh no Kiddo--that sounds horrid ;p --and thats why ive been afraid to share a bed with anyone lately!

I think im going to try the peppermint and i guess im going to have to get serious about doing some kind of a food elimination thing to see if i can figure out whats causing it. i felt like i did that with the foods i suspected, to no avail, but i probably didnt do it carefully enough, and i certainly didnt start with a clean slate and was still eating a variety of other foods. so i never noticed any relief in the gas :( I'm not really a fan of going to the doctor for this because i dont feel like the doctors here in ireland are very on-the-ball about nutrition stuff or vegan diets etc. and i dont really trust them. ive had problems with candida in the past, which is what makes me think that maybe my system is overloaded from it and even when i go back to eating healthy and refined sugar free, my system cant balance itself. i wonder does it need a good old clean out somehow...

i did a juice fast the last 2 days, until i got super hungry last night and couldnt stick it anymore (then i broke the juicer screen this afternoon, so...no more juice fast i guess lol). i did carrot ginger juice, celery apple lemon ginger parsley, apple lemon kale, pomegranate, pom-orange, that sort of thing. The farting finally died off with having only the juices. its the first relief i have had in a really really long time. i ate really simply last night, basically only ingredients id had in the juices in whole food form, plus a few more ingredients (i added sweet potato, napa cabbage, and tahini to the fruit and veg i had already been using in juices (pomegranate, apple, celery because i needed something oily to make the sweet potatoes and the salad palatable... i know cabbage might not be best choice, but since the kale juice didnt give me a problem, i figured it might be ok ). i took a couple probiotics before dinner, though that hasnt helped before... the problem hasnt returned in full force by today though i felt sort of bloaty last night, but nowhere near the problem as before now my juicer is broken, so... but yeah, maybe i need to do a few juice fasts and something else (what?) to clean out my system so it can repopulate with good bacteria properly...(?)

ive also read that aloe juice can help (though its pretty pricey :/ ) .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:40 am 
WRETCHED

It sounds like you need a proper elimination diet where you eliminate most of the primary culprits and then add them back one at a time.

I looked into aloe juice on pubmed a few months ago because I saw it in a few things and it is actually not good to ingest so I'd personally avoid aloe juice at all costs. Aloe is good as a topical solution, that doesn't mean it would translate to being good to drink.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:55 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

do you think you might have an inflamed colon? i had proctitis a few years ago (i assume it all started with some bad constipation that tore my colon a little, and then it got inflamed. it was a horrible catch 22. it was inflamed, so my poop couldn't pass comfortably (or at all) and then when i did poop, it was painful and tiny, and probably scratched my colon more, causing more inflammation.) i was farting horribly, and when i couldn't poop, i'd pass mucus that eventually turned bloody. this went on for maybe 3 months before it became unbearable. and i went to a GI doctor.

are you pooping well? are you constipated a lot?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:20 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

yuck. that sounds scary. hmmm. no no pooping problems or constipation, rarely at least. just the farting... i wonder what is going to happen when i add garlic and/or leeks and/or coconut oil and/or nooch back into my diet. when i took those things out before it didnt go away, but i wasnt starting with a clean slate either whereas now i just did juices a couple days. it was kind of a half assed attempt before. i dont want it to be the foods i love that cause me to fart though : / bleh. down with farting.

that sounds horrible though, im glad you got it sorted. mine isnt any pain, just extinction level farts (i stole that term from y'all on another thread ;p) its been much better the last few days but ive done only juices and then a very limited ingredient diet. i still feel kind of bloated tho. especially after salad or a smoothie. so, dunno.

linanil--thats interesting about the aloe..ive seen loads of recommendations to drink it for all sorts of conditions...i thought it was just harmful it if included the outer leaf or something as that had irritants in it, but that the inner leaf was ok...? i guess now i should research the other side of that, the "dont drink aloe" side...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:27 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

yuck. that sounds scary. hmmm. no no pooping problems or constipation, rarely at least. just the farting... i wonder what is going to happen when i add garlic and/or leeks and/or coconut oil and/or nooch back into my diet. when i took those things out before it didnt go away, but i wasnt starting with a clean slate either whereas now i just did juices a couple days. it was kind of a half assed attempt before. i dont want it to be the foods i love that cause me to fart though : / bleh. down with farting.

that sounds horrible though, im glad you got it sorted. mine isnt any pain, just extinction level farts (i stole that term from y'all on another thread ;p) its been much better the last few days but ive done only juices and then a very limited ingredient diet. i still feel kind of bloated tho. especially after salad or a smoothie. so, dunno.

linanil--thats interesting about the aloe..ive seen loads of recommendations to drink it for all sorts of conditions...i thought it was just harmful it if included the outer leaf or something as that had irritants in it, but that the inner leaf was ok...? i guess now i should research the other side of that, the "dont drink aloe" side...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:33 pm 
WRETCHED

Kaybee, I was reading things on pubmed and it was definitely aloe juice that was the issue. I've never seen anyone reputable recommend aloe, just woo type people.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:42 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

haha. there is alot of woo type hype about alot of things. another is coconut oil...from the internet i thought it was healthy stuff...then a friend showed me dr gregers info (nutritionfacts.org) that it is not. and yet the internet is rife with stuff about it being good for all sorts of things...which goes back to weston price i think. too bad its apparently bad cos i love coconut oil :/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:43 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

haha. there is alot of woo type hype about alot of things. another is coconut oil...from the internet i thought it was healthy stuff...then a friend showed me dr gregers info (nutritionfacts.org) that it is not. and yet the internet is rife with stuff about it being good for all sorts of things...which goes back to weston price i think. too bad its apparently bad cos i love coconut oil :/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:49 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

It was gluten that was causing it for me -- and made it hard to pin down because it was something I consumed every day with the majority of my meals.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:41 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

yeah, im thinking refined sugar is the most likely culprit, along with my beloved nooch, possibly leeks and garlic (SAD FACE) and or maybe coconut oil and coconut milk (ANOTHER SAD FACE :( ) I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity (wheat, gluten, and alcohol) years ago but i dont know how legit the doctor was he was a bit strange-o. ( he made me repeat after him some stuff that was supposed to imprint itself onto the beaker of water sitting on some amplifying sounding blocks or something and said i shoudl take 1 tsp a day and it was the homeopathic remedy and would solve all my problems...talk about wooo. lol. that time, my stomach problems finally went away when i took several courses of prilosec....basically confirming that i had an ulcer as i had myself suspected in the first place!) it could be gluten, though because i did raw foods for a while gluten pretty much fell out of my diet and ended up staying out, except when i get my hands on good sourdough bread, which never ever happens here cos the bread in ireland is poo, but the last couple years i have majorly fallen off the wagon in the summers because of work and lack of time and eaten all sorts of cookies, junky bread, and other junk that i wouldnt have previously eaten much of. but ive gone the winters on a mainly gf diet and the farts have still been plaguing me, so who knows. ive started a food diary and really limiting the variety of what i eat to see if i can figure this out once and for all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:08 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hi Kaybee,Have you had any luck finding out what was causing your distress? You should check and see if anything you consume contains inulin/chicory root. It's a fiber added to many foods that can cause digestive issues http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.as ... _bellyache I have IBS and over the last week have been careful not to have any and have actually been feeling better than in a long time. I love So Delicious ice cream and had noticed I would often not feel great after having it(has chicory root!) Also a probiotic I tried taking made me painfully gassy(which confused me since I was taking it to help my digestion!) Sure enough,it also had inulin. I shall avoid it like the plague from now on! Karen