| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I just got my third Paragard IUD -- I guess at this point (after two IUDs and two babies) my uterus is a pro, because when it was done I had to ask the gyno if she had even inserted it yet. No pain at all from sounding or insertion and just mild cramping for a few hours after. I am so happy to be done with babies!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:51 am 
Tofu Pup

I thought my tolerance of pain and discomfort was pretty good, but the point someone made about the nerve making you feel dizzy makes so much sense! Definitely get someone to collect you, if you can, or get public transport instead of driving/cycling, as for me, even walking ten minutes to my house was hard work. Had Mirena for two years now though, and it's great! No problems to report, fitting wasn't very pleasant, but overall worthwhile. My friend who is a nurse was pretty shocked when I said I had it though, as she said they shouldn't be used on ladies who've not had children. From my own research on this though, it seems like that's to do with the fitting itself, and how well you'll cope.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:31 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Does anyone take Ibuprofen for pain relief? I have migraines, and ibuprofens really helps. I've had my IUD for 2 years and I've just recently discovered you shouldn't take anti inflammatory medicine when you have an IUD.
My doctor told me last week I should use another contraceptive (like a condom) the day I take ibuprofen. I also considered just switching to paracetamol. Any thoughts or advice?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:17 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I read there is one study that suggested NSAID painkillers like ibuprofen could have a negative effect on the effectiveness of a copper IUD. I asked my doctor about that when I had my IUD inserted three months ago, and she had never heard of the study. I just looked it up and found another scientific paper that researched associations between IUD failure and medication. They found no association and say:

Quote:
More than 15 years ago, a case–control study conducted in France suggested that aspirin use could be a significant risk factor for IUD failure (OR 1.23, 95% CI 1.04–1.46) (Papiernik et al., 1989). Nevertheless, several limitations (the absence of a statistically significant relationship with the use of other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or with steroids) and the low odds ratio observed largely contributed to weaken the authors’ hypothesis, which has not as yet been confirmed by other studies.

Quote:
we analysed steroids and non-steroids separately. Finally and as summarized in Table III, none of the medicines taken, of whatever type, were found to be significant risk factors for IUD failure.

Based on this information, I feel pretty safe taking ibuprofen without using additional contraceptive protection.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Whaaaat? That's bananas. Thanks for the links, cornelie. I think I'm going to talk to my dr as well.

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't take pain killers with an iud. I have to take 800 mg of ibuprofin every 6 hours on my period just to make it through the day and not be in agony. Not to mention all my non-period related iud cramping. Jeebus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:38 pm 
Married to the wolfman

couroupita wrote:
Whaaaat? That's bananas. Thanks for the links, cornelie. I think I'm going to talk to my dr as well.

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't take pain killers with an iud. I have to take 800 mg of ibuprofin every 6 hours on my period just to make it through the day and not be in agony. Not to mention all my non-period related iud cramping. Jeebus.

Yeah pretty much this. Ibuprofen is the only thing standing between me and bleeding to death/dying of pain during my periods (thanks to my forking IUD) (which I otherwise love) (but I feel some days like it's a pretty big "otherwise"). It... it can't increase my chance of pregnancy. I can't handle that.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

That is absurd. Ibuprofen is the best thing that ever happened to IUDs. Not only for pain, but it actually decreases bleeding if you start taking it at the first sign of bleeding and continue every 6 hrs for at least 48 hrs total. Don't take my word for it, ask your provider.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:45 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My doctors (for all three IUD insertions) have all recommended taking ibuprofen for pain! I remember because I am allergic to ibuprofen and always feel bummed out that I don't get to take the good stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Even if there is a correlation between ibuprofen and IUD failure, since we aren't fertile during and right after our periods, the risk of getting pregnant because you take ibuprofen for period-related stuff would be very very small.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:14 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Wow I wold never have guessed this was a myth! I can't believe there are so many myths that doctor continue to spread.
Cornelie, your quote states that there was a study conducted in France 15 years, that may explain why here doctors advise not taking ibuprofen with a copper IUD. (I live in France and never have been told this when I lived in Canada)

That also reminds me of this thing some doctors still say,: when you never had children, you shouldn't get an IUD!
That's an old myth based on controversial studies, linked to STD (not even the size of your uterus) : you're supposedly more prone to STDs when you have an IUD! As if women with children were necessary married and will never have casual sex again! Also, having an IUD doesn't prevent you from using condoms! Anyway….

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So I had my follow up Wednesday, and the gyno said everything looked good. Yay! Except since then I've been getting really sharp poking feeling pain that feels a whole lot like the cervix pain during insertion. The first two or three weeks I would randomly get sharp pain in the same area, but it would only last a few seconds and it was generally during exercise. The past few days though it's been lasting quite a while, and comes on even when I'm just sitting around.

I got paranoid that my iud was coming out and checked and everything still feels normal. Could this just be my cervix not being happy from getting prodded the other day? Or could this be the start of my iud getting ejected?

I'll call the gyno Monday if it continues, but I'm freaking out a bit in the mean time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I had Paraguard inserted yesterday and holy shiitake, it was the worst pain I've ever experienced. I wasn't expecting that they were gonna do it right then, I thought they were just going to do a pap then schedule a follow-up, but she wanted to go ahead and do it. So I wasn't prepared with painkillers, though I know that doesn't always help anyway. She gave me one ibuprofen right before but it didn't help at all. I was sweating, dizzy, and nauseous for about a half hour, couldn't even move from the table. Finally I got up and dressed and hung around the waiting room in a daze until i could take a taxi home. If men had to go through this shiitake...

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm sorry you had such a painful and disorienting experience Quarantined! I was pretty woozy after my insertion, but nothing as bad as you. It sucks big time!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks Cornelie, I know everyone is different. And I've never had children so that of course makes a difference. Just glad it's over. Still can't help sometimes being annoyed at what women have to go through and people act as if it's nothing, or that we're somehow tougher and should be able to withstand it.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:57 am 
Semen Strong

Yikes Quarantined! That sounds awful. I feel like Ob/Gyn professionals are so bad at preparing you for the pain. Its always "okay you are going to feel a little pinch." Followed by pain so bad you want to cry.

And yeah, we're supposed to tough it out but still get called the weaker sex.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tofulish wrote:
Yikes Quarantined! That sounds awful. I feel like Ob/Gyn professionals are so bad at preparing you for the pain. Its always "okay you are going to feel a little pinch." Followed by pain so bad you want to cry.

And yeah, we're supposed to tough it out but still get called the weaker sex.

Yes, exactly!

The nurse practitioner who inserted mine repeated twice afterwards, "It's fight or flight!" as an explanation for my reaction. What the hell does that even mean? It's a terrible pain, lady. I guess she meant the sweating or something, like that was my body's fight or flight reaction. Super annoying to hear that right at that moment though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:17 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It's been 4 weeks since my insertion and I'm starting to feel discouraged. I've read through most of this thread and I know it can take some adjustment, but- for the first week or two it was ok, some spotting and cramping but when I started ovulating I got sharp cramps and have been bleeding and cramping every day since then. Not super bad, but bad enough. I really hope this gets better soon. I have a follow up visit in about a month- wondering if i should ask if they can do an ultrasound check to see if it is positioned correctly?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think that sounds normal, but of course it doesn't hurt to double check. I think I've had mine 3 years now and only recently have I not had weekly cramps. Even so, just this morning while in bed my dog jumped up and landed on my abdomen and it triggered bad cramping. :-/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks couroupita- I vacillate between feeling it's normal and feeling a bit nervous. Right now I feel fine. I think I will wait a month until my follow up at any rate. I can't feel my strings but also don't feel anything poking out, so I dunno. I'm not sure if I'm reaching far up enough to feel anything.

I joked to my boyfriend yesterday that this is certainly great birth control, if it makes me constantly bleed and not want to have sex.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:16 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Has anyone has any experience with having their copper coil replaced with a Mirena? My copper IUD was really forking me around, so I had the thing yanked and replaced with the hormonal kind today. I had wanted to go hormone free, but near constant heavy bleeding was so not worth it.

By the by, the removal/reinsertion was not too bad at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:18 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Disappearing Ink wrote:
Has anyone has any experience with having their copper coil replaced with a Mirena? My copper IUD was really forking me around, so I had the thing yanked and replaced with the hormonal kind today. I had wanted to go hormone free, but near constant heavy bleeding was so not worth it.

By the by, the removal/reinsertion was not too bad at all.

Yes! That's exactly what I did and it's so much better. I've had the Mirena for about 2.5/3 years now & I love it. I hardly ever get my period & when I do it's super light. I've only had bad cramping once or twice as opposed to horrific cramping for a week out of every month.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:57 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks, jojo. Glad to hear the Mirena's working out for you. I hope to be so lucky, since I'm not especially attached to my periods. I really liked my copper IUD in theory (and when it was behaving itself), so I'm hoping this will be the same but without all the badness.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:15 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am about 5 months post insertion of a Mirena and now I have very light periods, no cramping and no break through bleeding. Definitely turned out to be an excellent choice for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:26 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Quarantined, your experience sounds similar to mine. After the insertion I just laid on the table for an hour, and when I got up I was fine for a few seconds... then I found myself hobbling to the bathroom so I could throw up. Then my mom drove me home, I took a nap, and woke up fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:28 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Also, it makes me super-happy that a lot of you seem to have decent experiences with your IUDs.

Unfortunately mine has caused me nothing but agony, so I'm having it removed soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next