| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dark circles/bags under eyes
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:30 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I think I'm right that these are at least partly hereditary, but is there anything I can do to help them a bit? I got loads of sleep last night, didn't have any alcohol, don't smoke, drink loads of water. They're really prominent.

Post subject: Re: Dark circles/bags under eyes
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:53 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Do you frequently have a stuffy nose? I've read that if your nose is all blocked up, that can exacerbate dark circles by not allowing proper circulation. I guess allergies can also worsen dark circles.

I'm basically screwed-- I have allergies and am usually congested, plus I have a 6 month old baby so I never get enough sleep. Concealer is my friend.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:20 am 
Huffs Nooch

Cold compresses help with puffiness, as does head elevation I think. But for dark circles, concealer.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:59 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Haemorrhoid cream works wonders on baggy eyes, and makes a good story.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:41 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've tried haemorrhoid cream, and yes it works pretty well on the puffy part but not the dark circles.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:49 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

*knows what to put at top of 40th birthday preparation list*

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:45 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yellow mineral concealer, if you can manage to blend it in properly. I can get away with putting it in the middle of my face, but I suspect my skin tone is a bit different.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:47 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I think you're right that some people are just prone to them. I kinda want to try that yellow concealed trick now, because I always always have dark circles.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:53 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

helbury wrote:
Do you frequently have a stuffy nose? I've read that if your nose is all blocked up, that can exacerbate dark circles by not allowing proper circulation. I guess allergies can also worsen dark circles.

oh wow, that makes a lot of sense. My sister always has dark circles under her eyes and she has pretty bad allergies and is constantly blowing her nose.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have horrid dark circles. Nothing helps. Yellow tinted stuff makes it look worse. I have some makeup that lightens them a hair, but basically I always look like crepe, and for some reason, complete strangers have no hesitation to point out that I look awful. Really a great self-esteem boost.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:56 pm 
Chip Strong

I've heard it tends to be prominent in Italians, sadly. I can't remember a day when I've woken up without them.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:44 am 
Chip Strong

I've had them all my life. I hardly notice them anymore. I did once cover them with foundation, and my face looked all wrong - it was creepy. So sorry, but no tips on getting rid of them! Although the yellow thing sounds interesting... If I ever decide to try something again, it would probably match my skin tone.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I don't know how to make them really go away, unless of course it's allergies, and then maybe medicine will help somewhat.

If you want to go the makeup route, scan around youtube for tutorial videos with someone who has a similar skin tone to you. Some of those ladies are amazing with makeup, and you can probably even narrow it down to the brands you already use.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:12 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I've been using Acure Organic eye cream. I'm not sure if it's helping or not. I'm definitely in the allergies, stuffy/runny nose crowd.

I think you all will appreciate this though. My former boss is the master of backhanded compliments. She told me that after changing my diet (becoming vegan/losing weight) that my dark circles look a lot better! Gee! Thanks!!! (I have heard that dairy can exacerbate the issue, but I'm sure none of us has that for a factor.)

Sonya Dakar told me that I should give up dairy, processed white flour, and processed white sugar/all sugar. At the time that's all I ate, but now that I don't eat it, I think I can tell a difference.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:33 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Sadly, they're mostly genetic and not much can be done for them. Of course factor contribute (stress, allergies, tiredness), but it's mostly just genetics at work.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:02 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The main causes I know of is nasal congestion, dehydration and also sun damage (sunglasses a must on bright days) As the skin around the eye is very thin and more sensitive to the effects of the sun a slight increase in the pigment melanin production there can give the impression of permanent dark circles. Also as the skin is so thin any rubbing of the eyes due to allergies or hay fever can contribute too. Another possible cause is iron deficiency anaemia which results in less oxygen passing through the bloodstream and can produce a bluish tint in capillaries that pass close to the skin.

Some good ways to help them is cold compresses with very cold water or putting chilled cucumber slices over your eyes. Also try feasting on cranberries, blueberries, blackcurrents, onions, parsley or green tea as the antioxidants in these fortify blood vessels. Another tip is to cut down on salt, which can contribute to dilated blood vessels. Or if your a fan of using eye creams use something that contains gingko, eyebright, witch hazel or green tea extract. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:41 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yeah, I have 'em too (dark circles). I wear concealer every day, but nothing really helps with the darkness on a permanent level.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:35 pm 
Inflexitarian

ijustdiedinside wrote:
helbury wrote:

oh wow, that makes a lot of sense. My sister always has dark circles under her eyes and she has pretty bad allergies and is constantly blowing her nose.

I have the same. I'm super diligent about neti-pot use (which I see a result, when I don't use it my eyes are way puffier and darker!)and I also am a fan of Origins eye creams.
My mother's are HUGE, puffy and really prominent. She said hers became so after a killer sinus infection that she had for almost two years when I was a kid. She was on anti-biotics over ten times for it before she had to have surgery on her sinus cavity. Her bags are literally a few millimeters out from her face and blueish in color.
My sister also has some discoloration but she's blessed with no allergies so hers are not puffy ever. So from looking at my family, genetics is true and allergies make it worse!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

I had dark circles for a bit this year, no doubt due largely to extreme stress and spots of inadequate sleep, but they persisted no matter how long I tried sleeping it off. I started being more diligent about taking Floravit and supplementing B12 and it seems to have gotten better.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:15 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have dark circles, not the bags or puffiness though. Am I the only one here that likes them? I like mine, though I have had people tell me how to get rid of them, but I have no interest in getting rid of them, and I kind of wish they were a little more prominent. But as has been mentioned, they are largely genetic, so not much use in trying to change them.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

+1 on the dehydration. Mine always get darker if I haven't been drinking enough water. Caffeine is a diuretic, so cutting that back might help too.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

rabidchild wrote:
I have horrid dark circles. Nothing helps. Yellow tinted stuff makes it look worse. I have some makeup that lightens them a hair, but basically I always look like crepe, and for some reason, complete strangers have no hesitation to point out that I look awful. Really a great self-esteem boost.

Yes, I also have very dark circles and people point them out. I actually don't mind them much (and I don't wear makeup) but people need to shut up about that kind of stuff. That, to me, is the worst thing about having the dark circles. For me, I have super thin skin there, so does my mom. And allergies. But it doesn't matter what I do to them, nothing makes them better. I just rock the raccoon look.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Get your iron checked! Low iron stores can contribute to dark circles. Mine have been improving since my levels have gone up, it's so exciting!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:56 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've read somewhere that it can be to do with lack of vitamin K. I guess it's never going to hurt to eat more leafy greens and see if it helps (unless you have thyroid issues)?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:55 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I have these. I take iron, eat lots of leafy greens, get plenty of shut eye most nights, and they are just always there. I use concealer, which helps. I also recently bought some Origins eye cream (GinZing is the name of it), and it actually seems to help a little. If nothing else, it's a nice eye cream that's not crazy expensive.