| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: non-directed kidney donation
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks :) It was an interesting experience if nothing else. I learned a lot about the whole thing. Maybe I'll try again in a couple of years. And my friend got a kidney from a deceased person, so it all worked out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hi Rowan - Here's what happened so far to me if you want to know how my experience was. I'm back home from donating mine on Thursday morning. I got out of the hospital this afternoon, so about 2 days in overall. I don't have much pain at the incision site. Most of the pain I have is from the CO2 gas that they pump you full of to get the kidney out. Basically I was up and walking around that night with some assistance and spent the whole time walking circles and burping to get rid of the gas. They won't let you leave until you poop or pass gas, which involves some medication. I also forgot how much privacy you lose in a hospital. Everyone sees your butt flapping in the breeze and knows everything your body does. I still had good urine output and my blood pressure average has gone up a little, but is still reasonable.

The frustrating part of process is all of the different/contradicting information you get from doctors and nurses. But basically, I'm not supposed to drive for at least a week or lift anything heavier than ten pounds for about 4 weeks. Overall, I'm glad I did it because my mom's cousin doesn't need to be on dialysis anymore (which I guess is very exhausting and painful). Although we're related, I made the decision to avoid becoming emotionally involved in this. I saw her during admission and hugged her and that was it. For me, I think that was the right way to handle it because if her body does end up rejecting it, I expect I won't feel as bad. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

fatcat- I'm so glad you're doing ok! I'll pm you a bit later, but best of luck in your recovery!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:27 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

wow, fatcat good luck with your recovery, and good luck with your mom's cousin's recovery

I'm a registered organ/tissue donor, and would be willing to donate to a friend or relative, but a complete stranger would harder, it sounds so selfish but I just think of that worst case scenario that down the road that something happens to a relative and then I can't help them because I already helped some complete stranger. I know that is choosing one life as more important than another and all that. I guess if everyone was so generous to pay it forward then there would always be somebody out there to help me if I needed it too. That reminds me, I haven't donated blood in a few years, an extremely small contribution compared to a kidney, but an easy thing I should do more often.

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2