| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: i'm pretty sure i just found the holy grail of hair remo
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm studying up on which epilator model to buy for when I get some christmas money! I want to go with Emjoi, but what do you all think: go with the Emagine or the Divine?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:11 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

if anyone's been holding out for an at-home laser system, groupon has a deal where the brand new i-Light Pro (IPL, of course) from remington is $199 (instead of $250) it's not as deep of a discount as they usually do, but i'm guessing this is because they're falling on hard times. but $50 discount is better than nothing. <3 i had $44 credit, so i got it. i'll let you know how it goes. (i was just going to remain hairy in my less important areas, since getting lasered professionally is expeeeeensive! this is a good half-way point. AND then i won't have to pay for the eventual extra touch-ups in the spots that i've already gotten done professionally, it's a win-win)

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-remingt ... =uu5415349

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:07 am 
So Totally Yiffy

tarajasmom wrote:
So excited guys! I pursued with my dream of epilating my underarms and got this: http://www.amazon.com/Emjoi-AP-9L-Slim- ... 240&sr=8-1, which is a much smaller, battery powered epilator. Just got done with my underarms and it was fantastic! I think the smaller head really helped to maintain the curves of my skin better and didn't try to chew it up. I think this will also come in handy with more delicate areas in the bikini region that I am scared to attempt with my larger epilator.

Another huge tip...don't watch! When I stopped watching what I was doing on my underarms, it was not even what I'd qualify as painful at all. Now I'll just do it every few days for the next couple of weeks to get all of the hair gone and switch in to maintenance mode. This is a big day!

Have you tried this one on larger areas like legs? I'm super broke but very curious about this and the potential for not having to buy expensive razor cartridges all the time and this one seems to be the cheapest one out there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:08 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Just received my emjoi epi slim in the mail and just got done epilating my upper lip and sideburn areas. It is amazing! I have a pink upper lip and sideburn area but it wasn't that painful and the hair is gone. Tried my bikini line but I don't think most of the hairs were long enough since I shaved just the other day. I'm gonna jump in the shower and exfoliate my arm pits before trying those. Best $15 bucks I've spent on hair removing products, hands down. Now I gotta get my hands on a bigger corded model for my legs. I want to officially thank this thread and the ppkers that recommended certain brands of epilators. Thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:16 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

*update* I did my armpits and I guess the hair wasn't long enough or something because now all I have is super red, bumpy, extremely sore, hairy armpits. I couldn't tell if the pinch I was feeling was hair being removed or my skin being ripped. I gave up when I saw blood. I'll wait a few days until the area settles down and try again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bebopmouse wrote:

Have you tried this one on larger areas like legs? I'm super broke but very curious about this and the potential for not having to buy expensive razor cartridges all the time and this one seems to be the cheapest one out there.

i would try to find a regular model on sale for my legs and arms. i mean, it takes like an hour for me to epilate with a regular model, can't even imagine using a smaller machine! but it's totally worth it, considering how much you save on razor blades.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:49 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

smoothie wrote:
bebopmouse wrote:

i would try to find a regular model on sale for my legs and arms. i mean, it takes like an hour for me to epilate with a regular model, can't even imagine using a smaller machine! but it's totally worth it, considering how much you save on razor blades.

Definitely worth it. It used to take me about an hour to shave my legs without nicking myself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

wow, that's a long time! i can't even imagine, i usually used 5 mins tops to shave my legs (but i didn't shave my arms!). but i still love the epilator, even though it takes a long time to use. mostly because the hair growns out soft instead of stubbly and even if i don't epilate for 2 weeks my legs don't get crazy hairy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:30 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

You know what sucks? Epilator + armpits = kinda bloody.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:58 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

melisser- I had that problem too the first few times I used my epilator. Now I can epilate every 3-4 days and there is sometimes 1 or 2 follicles that bleed but overall there is definitely much less pain and much less blood now that I've been epliating regularly for a month. I feel your pain though, sore bloody armpits are definitely not fun to deal with.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The way I broke into epilating my armpits was to go and get the pits waxed once first, then I started maintaining them as the hairs grew back in with my epilator. It seemed to make it easier. I do the same thing now actually, if I've let it go too long I'll do an at-home sugar wax on my pits first then pick up any strays with the epilator.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Quarantined wrote:
The way I broke into epilating my armpits was to go and get the pits waxed once first, then I started maintaining them as the hairs grew back in with my epilator. It seemed to make it easier. I do the same thing now actually, if I've let it go too long I'll do an at-home sugar wax on my pits first then pick up any strays with the epilator.

Good call.. I don't know why the fck I decided to do it today.. ouch!

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:14 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I just got an Emjoi Sin Dolor and I found the trick: DO NOT LOOK WHILE YOU DO IT. Once I closed my eyes it just felt like a really terrible tickle rather than painful. I had bought this for my facial hair but since I can't do it while looking that won't be happening.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Also, I think that it is possible to have too long of leg hair for this. I have grown mine out for more than a month now. I have to do one last ceremonial shave because my hairs just slip around it. Hmm.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

a quick review on my i-light pro. it seems to be working really well on my legs. i can get it to power level 4 or 5 without much pain at all, but my pits really hurt at level 2, so it's not really working. i'll have to do the orajel thing and see if i can do level 3. (it's probably a combination of the sheer mass of follicles and the fact that i can't really get them completely free of moisture.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:09 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I haven't tried the epilator but i've been lasering my under arms and legs at a laser treatment center for the past several months. I've had such great results. It's really affordable, because it's spaced 8-12 weeks apart and I'm saving money not waxing or buying razors.

I really love it. I haven't had to shave my legs or under arms in months and they're pretty much hairless.
I feel like it's very much worth it. The first time after laser, I immediately went to the gym to work out, and still didn't have any irritation. Even when I laser my entire leg, I don't get bumps. It's the only success I've ever had with hair removal of any sort and the least painful, too.

If anyone has any questions about lasering feel free to ask. My average treatment is about $50 every 8-12 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:16 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Can't I just tweeze my leg hairs like a crazy person?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:56 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Can't I just tweeze my leg hairs like a crazy person?

please report back with results.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:47 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I tweezed my bikini line once. It was painful and a little time consuming but came out clean and beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:53 am 
Ninja Master

I tweeze the hairs that my bikini waxer misses. I don't think I could do the whole thing though, that's like prolonged torture!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:37 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

About tweezing leg hair (and other body parts, but legs have such huge surface area)- doesn't it take a ridiculously long time?

I tried tweezing under my arms a few times but found it impossible to get even half of one armpit hair free. That might have been because of the position I had to get my head into to see what I was doing, which gave me a sore neck. I suppose that wouldn't be such a problem for legs or bikini line.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

This year for some reason I was getting more irritation/beginning of ingrowns on my legs from epilating which is new to me, but I discovered a good trick to take care of it. Now after every shower I apply ACV to my legs, all over. I still use homemade tendskin on my bikini area and pits but didn't want to use that all over because it can be a bit drying. The ACV seems to have really stopped me getting any ingrowns on my legs, as long as I am diligent about dry brushing, and exfoliating in the shower as I normally do.

Anyway, just a tip!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6