| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: i'm pretty sure i just found the holy grail of hair remo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:26 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

icy wrote:
i bought one a year or two ago but it just hurts toooo much for me. i've got very pale, sensitive skin, and thick, dark, coarse hair, and it was just toooo much pain (and i have a pretty high tolerance for pain.) i so wish i could do this, but besides the pain, it also wouldn't get all my hair. i'm talking about my legs, by the way. and ingrown hairs, yeah, yikes.

maybe i'll give it a go again. maybe i just need a better one, but i think the one i got wasn't a super cheap one. oh well. i'm jealous of all you ladies that can do it!!

You need to go get your legs waxed a few times. I have the same skin/hair as you and trying to use the epilator pre-waxing was horrendous, afterwards, not too bad at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:31 am 
Ninja Master

I just bought one and haven't used it yet. I have tops of my legs and my bikini area waxed but usually just shave the bottom, so thought I'd give the epilator a go.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:01 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

couroupita wrote:
So do you get more ingrown hair with an epilator than with waxing or shaving?

I wax too and personally I don't get more ingrowns with epilating. Probably more than with shaving, though, yeah. it's the ripping hair out at the roots that primarily causes ingrowns, at least for me.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:27 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

fezza wrote:
icy wrote:
i bought one a year or two ago but it just hurts toooo much for me. i've got very pale, sensitive skin, and thick, dark, coarse hair, and it was just toooo much pain (and i have a pretty high tolerance for pain.) i so wish i could do this, but besides the pain, it also wouldn't get all my hair. i'm talking about my legs, by the way. and ingrown hairs, yeah, yikes.

maybe i'll give it a go again. maybe i just need a better one, but i think the one i got wasn't a super cheap one. oh well. i'm jealous of all you ladies that can do it!!

You need to go get your legs waxed a few times. I have the same skin/hair as you and trying to use the epilator pre-waxing was horrendous, afterwards, not too bad at all.

i did wax for awhile. no dice. :(

i think with waxing it was more tolerable for me with it being large chunks at a time, and someone else just going for it. with the epilator, i felt each little hair and it was painful and hard for me to keep doing it myself. i need an assistant!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 am 

I think some people take an anti-inflammatory (like ibrufen (Sp?)) before getting waxed, it might work for epilating. I always epilated straight after a warm shower which helped too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I am so fascinated by this thread! I will keep watching it while I try to decide whether an epilator's worth the money...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I bought an epilator in Spain about 12 years ago. I remember I used it a lot as a teen, but the pain was too much. Once I started getting enough allowance money, I started getting waxed. The good thing about the epilator is that it ends up paying for itself eventually and you don't have to make or go to appointments with a waxer!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

For me, epilating hurts way more than waxing! And it takes so long. I had a Braun one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:27 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

full disclosure about the painfulness of this method: it will hurt very, very much the first few times, so everyone should expect that. for me it hurt so much for the first few times, really it was very intense and unpleasant... BE WARNED. however, once you keep at it for a while (and the results were so good i was willing to suffer the pain), it stops hurting to the point that I don't feel it AT ALL on my legs anymore, and my underarms are only slightly painful.

My full legs, arms, and underarms take a total of about 20-30 minutes a month, tops. I do everything at once and, not that anyone needs to know this, right after my period is over. That way I'm only stubbly for period week, and since I already feel gross that week, I figure I might as well be kinda stubbly too (but the stubbliness is minimal, really).

if you're attempting your bikini area (this is the only place i get ingrowns after), BE WARNED, that shitake hurts in the extreme. i tried it a few times, but for me it's easier and gets a much better result -- no ingrowns -- with waxing (I use the Surgi-Wax Brazillian kit, which is fantastic, and believe it or not, i do my own brazillian -- do not try this unless you've been waxed many times and are pretty flexible).

Last edited by MissBlueSky on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:31 pm 
Inflexitarian

I have sugared, waxed, shaved and tweezed. Epilator is the way to go.
Waxing/sugaring I never got used to and it's too messy to do by myself, and too expensive to go get it done.
I don't find I get more or less ingrowns. I'm super prone to them and I got tons shaving but shaving also ripped my skin off in chunks so that was a no go.

I've had my eiplator (the Braun one) for 5 years, and it's never failed me. I usually only have to do it once a month now because my hair is so fine from years of waxing/sugaring.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

this might be the most disappointing thread ive ever opened. when you promise holy grail of hair removal, the result should not be PAIN and OWIES! i dont even think epilators remove hair all that well. yuck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Okay. I think I've made up my mind. I want one!
I can deal with pain (other than around the head/teeth area, or menstrual cramps), and if I'm in control (i.e. I'm the one doing the epilating), I know what to expect, and it will be in places I can see (like my back tattoo seemed to hurt more than my arm tattoo, and I think that's because I couldn't watch).
And I spotted a Braun epilator that comes with a glove that's a cool pack - apparently it helps. If I spend my holiday bonus on that, I'll report back in no time (right after the 15th)...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:16 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I have a Braun epilator that I bought two months ago. The first time I used it, epilating my legs and bikini pinched, but didn't hurt that bad. My armpits killed. I had to stop several times to take deep breaths, but the second time I used it on my armpits it didn't really hurt that much. Unpleasant, but ok. Also, I don't exfoliate very often, and have had no ingrowns. Everyone is different, but I love my epilator and looove that my hair doesn't grow back quickly. Way better than shaving, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

(I love your avatar, catfish!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:42 am 

I pretty much have to epilate every week, fast growing hair!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:22 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

This epilator thing is sounding intriguing. If I can scrounge up $50, I might pick one up from Amazon and give it a go. I sure do get sick of shaving.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:43 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hmmm I usually shave most places, but I do tweeze my bikini area, so maybe this is a good way to go? Obviously I couldn't use the Braun because it's from P&G (who are evil), but the Emjoi is good? Who else has used that? Or does anyone know of any other cruelty-free companies making stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 am 
Ninja Master

Just be really really careful if you do your bikini line. Honestly I wouldn't recommend getting an epilator near that area (heard scary stories from my tutor when I was training to wax), but if you do then be careful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

baps wrote:
Just be really really careful if you do your bikini line. Honestly I wouldn't recommend getting an epilator near that area (heard scary stories from my tutor when I was training to wax), but if you do then be careful.

Please post the scary stories? If I'm tempted to do something, I'll need something really graphic to scare me off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:55 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Ahh! I can only imagine. The skin is so soft and stretch in that area...I could see skin getting torn up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Anybody have experience with this epilator?

http://www.amazon.com/Emjoi-Divine-AP-1 ... 218&sr=1-1

It has pretty positive reviews, and is cheap. I don't know about dropping $50 on one since I've never used one. Even just for armpits and bikini area (what it is geared towards, I think) to start with.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:53 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I wish I could try one before laying down money on it. Certain hair removal gives me ingrowns no matter how I exfoliate/apply witch hazel. But I think it'd be pretty gross to be like "Hey neighbor, mind if I borrow your epilator?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:53 pm 

vegetalion wrote:
I wish I could try one before laying down money on it. Certain hair removal gives me ingrowns no matter how I exfoliate/apply witch hazel. But I think it'd be pretty gross to be like "Hey neighbor, mind if I borrow your epilator?"

Heh, I'd lend you mine but I doubt you'd want to use it if you knew where it's been.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:20 am 
Huffs Nooch

Definitely! I love mine. I have been telling my friends how great they are but they just don't believe me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:55 am 
Ninja Master

Phoenix wrote:
baps wrote:

Please post the scary stories? If I'm tempted to do something, I'll need something really graphic to scare me off.

Basically girls getting bits caught in the tweezers on the epilator. And one girl that had some pretty nasty scarring down there from getting bits trapped in the epilator. I think that particular lady was going for a brazilian with it thought! OUCH.

If you're careful with just the outer bikini line it might be ok. I still wouldn't get mine anywhere near there though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next