| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: i'm pretty sure i just found the holy grail of hair remo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:21 am 
Ninja Master

I've done one leg! hahaha, I can't bring myself to do the other yet, but I'm not going to my gym induction tomorrow with one hairy leg, so I'll have to just suck it up.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:37 am 
Nailed to the V

heathergalaxy wrote:
Hmmm I usually shave most places, but I do tweeze my bikini area, so maybe this is a good way to go? Obviously I couldn't use the Braun because it's from P&G (who are evil), but the Emjoi is good? Who else has used that? Or does anyone know of any other cruelty-free companies making stuff?

I had the same thought when I saw P&G on it. :( There's no way I am giving that company a penny!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:17 am 
Huffs Nooch

I love my epilator! I use it on my armpits and crotch area - and yes even in the most difficult to reach places. Sure it hurts a little at first, but then it's totally not all that bad and sooo much smoother and longer lasting hair-free-ness.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:02 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

i feel the same way about the epilator - holy grail of hair removal. i have been very happy not shaving for many years in places like oakland and austin, but hairy pits and legs are a no-go for blazing hot east texas professional attire that i have to sport now. my dad got me an epilator hoping it would be less expensive than waxing yet effective. i can't stand the idea of the waste of disposable razors, and shaving hurts so bad that i think i have an allergy to the metal. my skin ends up looking like a piece of raw meat after i shave. enter the epilator. UH-MA-ZING. i have the emjoi - the regular sized one. it works just fine on "bikini" and underarm areas, though the underarm part is a little hard to maneuver. yes - exfoliating makes a huge difference. i just scrub with some of those washcloth mitten things you can get for the shower, then do the epilator directly after shower. it's pretty gross to do when you're not 100% clean because you don't want to get any sweat or god-forbid deodorant in there. the only bummer about this thing is that it tends to take a while to do. you gotta sit down and commit to it. i think the one i had was about $100 (thanks, dad), and it is now my answer. why didn't anyone tell me about this thing before?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:14 am 
Kale Wreath

Ok, you guys have convinced me, I ordered the braun one from smoothie's link this morning. I get the worst shaving rash and have super-sensitive skin, and I can't afford waxing and find sugaring too messy (albeit effective). I don't mind pain as long as it works though. I'm really hoping I'll like it!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Okay. Update. I got one, and I did my pits. OMFG. Worst pain ever (if you don't count the dentist). Getting inked is a joy. Epilating my pits for the first time... I had to use a cool pack every couple of minutes before I could go on. Those roots are pretty deep, too. o.O
Then after a week or a bit more, I realized that not all those little suckers grow back at the same rate and apparently the skin gets used to all that pretty fast, so just getting rid of the new hairs is comparatively okay (still not fun, but I can deal with it).
On the upside: Looks rad, and I don't have to worry about shaving all the time.

ETA: But no way will I ever get that machine anywhere near my privates. Ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 am 
Ninja Master

I do need to redo my legs, but there's noway near as much hair this time, so I'm hoping that it won't be so painful this time round.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'm still loving mine!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:47 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just started using one a few weeks ago. Luckily, I had good grow out the first time, so I got a lot of the hair. HOLY HELL, it hurt, and my sensitive skin was a red mess for awhile. It's easier now that I only have to do a few hairs at a time, but it is about every 6 to 10 days. I have been exfoliating a lot, but I'm still getting redness and ingrowns. I really need to make tend skin.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:13 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm still thinking about getting one. I'm so ingrown prone and doesn't plucking make that worse?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:57 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

cstadt wrote:
I'm still thinking about getting one. I'm so ingrown prone and doesn't plucking make that worse?

I stopped it because of the ingrowns. I'm still getting them with shaving though, even though I exfoliate & moisturise every shower.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:36 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

cstadt wrote:

I'm still on the fence, too, mostly because I don't know how my body will react in terms of ingrowns. Shaving certain areas gives me a HECK of a lot more ingrowns than plucking and/or sugaring, but other people never get ingrowns from shaving. Bodies (and hair follicles) are so frustratingly arbitrary sometimes!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:44 am 
Ninja Master

I have a tonne of ingrowns, that I just couldn't dig out with my tweezers!! It was definitely less painful though the second time, as there was way less hair.

Just need to find my bottle of ingrown-go now to get rid of those pesky ingrowns.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:53 am 

baps wrote:

Just need to find my bottle of ingrown-go now to get rid of those pesky ingrowns.

It blows doesn't it. I can't use ingown-go very often because I forget it's on then the animals are crawling all over me. Miss Poppy got it in her eye once (rubbed her face against my skin) and it was horrendous, had to race her straight to the vets! I felt so, so bad.. then I had to spend the rest of the day looking at her big swollen, red eye.. gah, heartbreak!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:36 am 
Ninja Master

Awww poor Poppy!!

It's vile stuff, it stinks! But it does work. I didn't realise how many freaking ingrowns I had on my legs until yesterday.

I once made the stupid mistake of putting it on my lovely brazilian'ed bikini area, just 2 days after a wax. OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never made that mistake since.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:47 am 

Oh burn!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:59 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

In my experience, razors caused WAY more ingrown hair problems than the epilator.

The only annoying thing about the epilator, in my experience, was the noise. I lived in a dorm room last year, and I swear, the kids in the rooms adjacent to me always seemed a little awkward if I saw them in the hallway after I finished. They must have thought I had one hell of a loud vibrator. Oh. And then there was the problem of my dorm room having only carpet. I couldn't really use the shared bathroom, so I wound up cutting open a trash bag to use as a hair drop cloth each time. It was *almost* more trouble than it was worth. But smooth skin from never using razors again? Priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:39 am 

I've got one and have used it, on my legs, twice now. The first time I took ibuprofen beforehand in case it hurt and didn't get red dots afterwards, but did get ingrown hairs. The second time (with painkillers) I had quite a few red dots for a couple of days and again have ingrowns.
I'm exfoliating by scrubbing my legs with salt on a wet washcloth in the shower. I assume it's best to wait a few days after epilating before exfoliating, to let the skin calm down? Or does it not matter? Also, I've been rubbing oil into my legs as moisturiser (it's a special one supposed to reduce the appearance of stretch marks). Could I be making the irritation worse by putting that on after exfoliating?

I find it so, so much better than shaving. That took me ages (so could never be bothered doing it) and I usually nicked myself. I think I might actually have the option of wearing skirts with bare legs now! I am wondering what people will make of the noise when I move back into a shared flat in Setember though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:22 am 
Ninja Master

GreenDuck wrote:
I assume it's best to wait a few days after epilating before exfoliating, to let the skin calm down? Or does it not matter?

yes definitely, the skin will be sensitive for a while, so avoid irritating it for a day or so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:06 am 

my friend got one!

She did under her chin/neck but she can't muster the courage to do her legs.
She's debating returning it.

My boyfriend touched it to his arm and squealed like cute little pig.

I actually tried to go for my arm right after it had charged up but I missed somehow, only touching a plastic arm piece to my arm. I had been all psyched up but after that I couldn't try again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:55 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I'm debating starting to do my arms. I don't have really visible hair there - it is sparce and clear - but smooth arms are kind of intriguing. I suspect that once I do it once, I'll be hooked on it for good, so I'm hesitant.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Susie wrote:
I'm debating starting to do my arms. I don't have really visible hair there - it is sparce and clear - but smooth arms are kind of intriguing. I suspect that once I do it once, I'll be hooked on it for good, so I'm hesitant.

Hehe, I have a mole on the back of my right upper arm that apparently nobody but me even notices. But it grows one or two really long darkish hairs once in a while, and so I shaved them off when I was about 18. I haven't stopped shaving my entire arms since then, just because I like how that looks on me. There's been a change since I have that epilator, though: When I shave my arms, they're really really artificially-looking smooth. But when I use my epilator on them, teeny-tiny, very short, very blond hairs grow back that the epilator won't catch (while removing the longer darker ones). So if I look really closely, in sunlight, I'll see those mini hairs, and while I still like the practically-hairless look of my arms, it looks more natural than shaving them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:27 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

So tempting!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:33 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I know if I keep reading this thread I will end up an epilator, but I'm wondering which will be "the one" for me. I see posts about braun and emjoi, but are those the only two endorsed by ppk-ers? I am thinking of trying this one. http://www.amazon.com/Epilady-EP-810-33 ... 221&sr=8-1

I prefer rechargable since my rationalization for buying one is to not have to spend much more money on hair removal and batteries will eventually add up. I am getting that REM coil thingie for my ladystache so I'll update when that arrives.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

boychucker wrote:
I prefer rechargable since my rationalization for buying one is to not have to spend much more money on hair removal and batteries will eventually add up.

Oh, I'd never even seen a cordless one before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next