| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chronic Yeast Infections (Period Related)
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:30 pm 
Stepford Vegan

The last few months I have been dealing with yeast infection like symptoms each week before and during my period. I get severe itching, dry bloody like smell, painful sex. No discharge really. My insurance does not have a gyno listed and to get into PP - 2 month wait.

Last month I took a diflucan, I have another but the problem is - it did not work but I was so sick that maybe it just did not register in my body*. I started probiotics but stopped after thinking I had dry vag issues not yeast (I have both - joy). Does anyone have any ideas to help - garlic has only gotten me so far. My vag hurts. :(

*the antibiotic i was on causes yeast infections in me anyway.

Post subject: Re: Chronic Yeast Infections (Period Related)
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Do you have a primary care provider? You probably don't specifically have to see a gyno. I think I've specifically seen a gyno once in my life when I had something especially weird going on. It could also be BV which you're supposed to take antibiotics for.

Obviously you should ideally see a doctor but my not-a-doctor advice is boric acid because in my experience is helps with both yeast infections and BV.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:51 pm 
Stepford Vegan

Primary care is 3 month wait and the doctors suck. :/

I thought it was BV but it comes and goes. Plus the antibiotic I took when I was sick was an all around killer with a 9 day dose so I think if it was BV it would not have come back.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

BV has a really high reoccurrence rate so I still wouldn't rule it out...is there an urgent care clinic you can go to?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:40 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

"My insurance does not have a gyno listed"

I don't even know what to say about this. That's just not right. I'm so sorry you're dealing with access to care issues on top of everything else.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:06 am 
Stepford Vegan

strawberryrock wrote:
BV has a really high reoccurrence rate so I still wouldn't rule it out...is there an urgent care clinic you can go to?

The one covered has a 1 star rating and I was told recently by someone I know it was really gross. My boyfriend used his hsi card to take me to the urgent care when I was sick & for my meds (over $300) but I do not want to ask so soon again in case another emergency creeps up.

I have been taking probiotics & the itching stopped. For now...I might get some ph strips & try to monitor myself.

paperweight wrote:

I don't even know what to say about this. That's just not right. I'm so sorry you're dealing with access to care issues on top of everything else.

It is sad. That medical care cannot even forking help me figure out if I have a yeast infection.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:13 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

There's another kind of BV that is rare and most docs don't know how to diagnose it (it's easily confused with BV), called cytolytic vaginosis. It's where you have an over abundance of Lactobacilli (normally found in the vagina) which causes itching and discharge, ect. It won't respond to antibiotics and regular BV treatment. Might want to have them test you for that. Message me if you have questions, I know a lot about it and had to give my doctor a hand out on what to actually look for on the culture because it's so easily confused. Symptoms will be a lot like a yeast infection and the treatment is baking soda.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Have you tried boric acid? Maybe a apple cider vinegar bath?

I had some prolonged issues and was using boric acid to treat it. It gave me some relief. It is basically like a bomb to kill off anything in there. I really should have gone to a DR right away though because it came back over and over. I ended up having both BV and yeast in my culture and was put on antibiotics and a separate pill for the yeast and also took a really good probiotic. It is under control now and I am so happy that I sucked it up and got it medically taken care of. There is only so much that natural remedies can do.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:02 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I have also had chronic yeast and BV issues. It suuuucks so much. I was told by one doctor that BV really likes the environment created by yeast infections, so it's common to end up with both at the same time. I have been prescribed antibiotics and diflucan in conjunction on more than one occasion. I've also had doctors give me a double prescription of both to have my partner take them at the same time as me. There are also different types of bacteria that can cause BV, and they respond better to different antibiotics. My most successful treatments were when my doctor sent cultures off to a lab to have them tested before choosing which antibiotics to prescribe. Mine have responded better in the past to clindamycin than to metronidazole.

I definitely think you need to go to a doctor and at the very least, get the doctor to look at a sample under a microscope for both yeast and bacteria.

It is so frustrating that such a basic health issue that so many people deal with is so hard for you to get basic treatment for, and I know the frustrations of having to navigate an obstructionist healthcare industry have definitely put me off seeking treatment when I should have, but in the end you're probably just going to be miserable until you do it, unfortunately.

(And on top of that, when my chronic infections started, I also developed vulvodynia, which is basically when the skin around the vagina gets inflamed and itchy/painful for some undetermined reason. Not an allergy, not an infection, it's just really extra sensitive skin? I manage it by being really careful about introducing ANYTHING to that area, including washing my hands before I pee, only using fragrance free soaps/detergents, etc. but it's really hard to keep up forever, if I do anything like GASP take a bath, it's back to square one. So that makes it extra fun trying to figure out if I have any kind of infection TOO, or just regular chronic pain.)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:37 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm sorry that it is so difficult to get appropriate medical care. I would be persistent with your primary care clinic. The wait may be months for a full physical, but they should be able to get you in within the next few days for a problem-focused visit. If they can't give you an appointment, ask if there is a waiting list for cancellations. Let them know what you have tried at home and that you are still having severe discomfort. Is urgent care an option?

You need an exam and testing to determine whether your symptoms are caused by yeast or possibly something else, and possibly check whether you have any medical conditions that would predispose you to recurrent infections (for example, diabetes).

Just FYI, boric acid can cause poisoning: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/enc ... 002485.htm
Quote:
Chronic poisoning occurs in those who are repeatedly exposed to boric acid. For example, in the past, boric acid was used to disinfect and treat wounds. People who received such treatment over and over again got sick, and some died.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:04 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 812253.pdf
This discusses the safety of boric acid vaginal suppositories--seems to land on, unlikely to cause harm used for short courses. It only gets into yeast infections, not BV. I get BV fairly frequently and if I think I'm getting it and use boric acid for a day or two everything goes back to normal, which is way better than constantly taking antibiotics.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:53 pm 
Stepford Vegan

my vag has been better with help from cream & lots of lube from sex. still have not seen a doc. hoping my doc can get me in or refer me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:06 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

You can always put a probiotic capsule up there. The heat from the body melts the capsule and the probiotics help restore the good flora.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:42 pm 
Stepford Vegan

ScooterDiva wrote:
You can always put a probiotic capsule up there. The heat from the body melts the capsule and the probiotics help restore the good flora.

really? i will try this. i am itchy again but maybe it is dryness related. i checked my sugar - even after some b&j ice cream it was on the average side.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:47 am 
Stepford Vegan

so i find a combo of astroglyde & herbal yeast cream has been helping. i talked to my cousin via text yesterday & she has the same problem (she is about ten years younger). she says hers is due to dryness and she uses water based lube daily. so i bought this - more of a daily personal lube that says it restores ph balance:
http://goodcleanlove.com/restore/