| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tick or Mole? My skin is crawling!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment, me & 2 kitties that stay inside. I've been here for years, and in the summer I always have silverfish that come from the cracks in the bathroom walls, and down from the attic into my bedroom closet (the glass bowl that holds the light bulb is like an aquarium of bugs running around in it...yuck). My place is otherwise clean and awesome and I love it here. I've always just dealt with them because the hassle of clearing out for a fumigation would be a bigger pain than what its worth.

New problem though: The past month or 2 I've noticed these other bugs coming from the bathroom cracks and also crawling around in the closet bulb from attic, and even a few crawling randomly on walls...I'm 99% sure they are Ticks!! I'm worried about my kitties and me, and the process of trying to get rid of these. Yesterday though, I think one had been hiding in my clothing and buried onto my stomach! I was showering, and looked down and saw what looked like a black mole (which was never there)..I freaked out thinking it was a tick under my skin. Got out of shower and couldn't grab at anything with the tweezers I had, so I sterilized a needle and stuck it through both sides of the black thing trying to rip it upwards, thinking if its a mole...oh well it will bleed, but if its a tick, I want it out and need to kill it. I had the hardest time getting the needle to rip upward through it. Eventually I kinda did...no tick came out. I now had a bleeding hole in the middle with the black spots on each side. I don't know if I ripped a tick in half and its parts are stuck in my skin, or if it was a new mole that now is just scarred and trying to heal. (Then I spent hours online reading about Melanoma and freaking myself out and reading everything I could about every species of tick out there...)

Went through bathroom closet spraying bug spray for now...found 6 more of these tick things. One I caught alive and put in tupperware & a ziplock...I want to show my apartment complex what I'm dealing with. I'm going to have to get kitties checked for ticks, and board them while fumigating...If my complex will even do something. They better ASAP!! Silverfish I can deal with....but ticks?!? Hell no....I'm upset and feel like my skin is crawling with bugs.

Advice? Suggestions? Experiences? I am never going to fall asleep...

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

Post subject: Re: Tick or Mole? My skin is crawling!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:40 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Well, I'd show a doctor that moletick. Also, maybe buy tick preventing frontline for your babies. I think that ends up rubbing on furniture and stuff, too, so it ends up making your whole house a little more safe.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Pics?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Mars wrote:
Well, I'd show a doctor that moletick. Also, maybe buy tick preventing frontline for your babies. I think that ends up rubbing on furniture and stuff, too, so it ends up making your whole house a little more safe.

Would you go to a dermatologist or a regular doctor? I will have to find one in my area...I haven't been to a doc in about 8 years. Now its just sore, and there is a little darker area on each side of it, which I need to make sure isn't tick stuck in me. Ughhhh, so sceeved out...

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

rabidchild wrote:
Pics?

I wish I didn't totally freak out when I got out of the shower...I didn't even think to look up how to get out an embedded tick, if it was one, or what I should do. All I thought was "Dr. Oz says to pop zits with a needle thru the head of it, maybe that will work here too"...then proceeded to try to rip it open. I wish I took a pic of what it looked like before my mini-surgery. I'll see if i can get a clear pic of what it looks like now...and the little critters I'm dealing with. But then I was reading all about Melanoma and how if sudden moles appear, that could be a sign...I didn't even think a mole could pop up so quickly, but apparently it coulda been that...I don't know, I'm just making myself crazy right now. :/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:55 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I'm sorry, I can't actually read this thread because I'm about to go to bed and I can't do it if I'm creeped out :D

When I was about 10 I told my mom I had a tick in my side and she told me it was a "scab with hairs sticking out of it." We went to urgent care (we were new to tick infested country) and found out that if you smear petroleum jelly on it, then if it's a tick it can't breathe and will back out.

Blech. Shudder. Good luck!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:19 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I deal with ticks on a daily basis with my dog. However, if it was a tick, only the head would be inside you, the body would be outside and you'd be able to grab it to remove it. I've also heard that spraying them with diluted Dawn dish soap(sucky company, I know) makes them release. I just grab them and pull gently on them until they release, then flush them down the toilet since they are hard buggers to kill.

Mars wrote:

Just my personal opinion, but I would absolutely NOT use frontline on animals. I was researching it a few years back and came across lots of not good info on it(it was linked to killing cats and causing paralysis and other spine damage to dogs).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 am 
Semen Strong

I'm with gaia. If you had a tick, you'd know it, because its body with legs wiggling would be outside your skin. Only the mouthparts would be in you. If you have a tick, take tweezers, and rotate the animal very gently by its body to release the tick. You don't want to rip the body off so the head is left in you because that puts you at risk for an infection.

I've never heard of ticks swarming through bathroom cracks, down light fixtures either. Post pictures of your bugs and we can ID them. It sounds to me like small cockroaches.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

WhiskersGal wrote:
rabidchild wrote:
Pics?

I wish I didn't totally freak out when I got out of the shower...I didn't even think to look up how to get out an embedded tick, if it was one, or what I should do. All I thought was "Dr. Oz says to pop zits with a needle thru the head of it, maybe that will work here too"...then proceeded to try to rip it open. I wish I took a pic of what it looked like before my mini-surgery. I'll see if i can get a clear pic of what it looks like now...and the little critters I'm dealing with. But then I was reading all about Melanoma and how if sudden moles appear, that could be a sign...I didn't even think a mole could pop up so quickly, but apparently it coulda been that...I don't know, I'm just making myself crazy right now. :/

Pics of the ones in tupperware!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:52 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Yeah, ticks don't usually go into houses except by hanging a ride on an animal. I bet it's something else.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:32 am 
Chip Strong

Yes, agreed with others that ticks don't totally embed -- only their mouth embeds into your skin. The body can lay down really flat and look like a mole, but you should be able to get underneath it with a tweezers and see that there are little legs on the body. Please don't attempt any more home tick removals! Better to go to a doctor. There are several tick-borne illnesses, and a doctor might be able to test the tick once it is removed. Not every tick (or even every species of tick) carries disease, though, so no need to panic.

And agreed that the insects in your house likely aren't ticks. It's possible for them to come in on your clothing or on a pet, but they generally live in tall grasses, not houses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my friend is a parisitologist. post and i will have your answer! also, arent you supposed to burn out ticks? i dont know, id freak and go to the er where theyd make me wait for 9 days.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

OMG...I just shook out my bathroom rug to vacumn and 28 of them flew out of it. Just did major cleaning sweep...I've looked at pictures endlessly online and it definitely is a tick. I showed my neighbor, and he said he found a tick in his apartment the other day. I've read online that they can be found in apartments in walls...Plus I know I've had animals in my attic, which could have started the problem.

Tried taking a picture of my wound, but my camera sucked and when I get a close pic its too blurry to see. I will work on getting a pic of tupperware tick up soon, if I can get a close zoom....YUCK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

PS- Going to apartment office with sample first thing tomorrow, and making them come in and look at all collected in lamp bulb. I'm taking cats to vet to be checked, and making them come in and get this place fumigated. Better be able to do ASAP....I don't know if they will need to coordinate with the neighbors, but I'm so grossed out. I will keep you updated with what I find out!

Thanks all!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

OMG you guys, I'm a freak.....They are Spider Beetles (they really did look like little ticks to me though, and comparing online I really thought they were...so did my neighbor.) Happy I'm wrong though!! There may be a dead animal in my attic or walls that is causing the infestation....the guy is coming today to take a look and hopefully eliminate the problem. Still grossed out...but feel better they aren't ticks. I guess I did just rip off a new mole that appeared! (Will have to keep an eye on that if it comes back, I should get it checked out...)

Anyway, thanks for listening to my tick/bug/mole freak out!

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:51 am 
Saggy Butt

rocklobster wrote:
my friend is a parisitologist. post and i will have your answer! also, arent you supposed to burn out ticks? i dont know, id freak and go to the er where theyd make me wait for 9 days.

My extended family used to hold reunions every summer at some campgrounds in the mountains. When I was about 5, I felt something strange on my head when I was washing my hair. After showing my parents, they realized that it was actually a tick and the next morning everyone was gathering around the campground trying to figure out what the hell to do. This was before the days of the iphone so it wasn't like anybody could google for medical advice. I have a pretty big family and everyone wanted to give their input on what we should do. Before you know it, my parents had smothered my head with every chemical and condiment they had on hand. No surprise that none of that worked, so they next went for the "burn out" method. You can probably guess what happened next. That tick apparently would have rather been smoked to death than get off of my head. I was left with a dead tick in my head that was later yanked out with tweezers and a head of nappy, disgusting hair. My Dad, who is known for cracking horrible jokes, still likes to ask me if I was really ticked off that day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Glad to hear it wasn't ticks or bedbugs. Somehow beetles seem slightly less icky. And yes, do keep an eye on that mole... I've some some appear quite quickly but none of them have ever been a problem when I've had them looked at.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:02 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Glad they are not ticks! But the beetles still would creep me out.

I grew up on a farm and I've had ticks stuck in me loads of times. The cats would bring them inside with them. It was super gross.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

WhiskersGal wrote:
OMG you guys, I'm a freak.....They are Spider Beetles (they really did look like little ticks to me though, and comparing online I really thought they were...so did my neighbor.) Happy I'm wrong though!! There may be a dead animal in my attic or walls that is causing the infestation....the guy is coming today to take a look and hopefully eliminate the problem. Still grossed out...but feel better they aren't ticks. I guess I did just rip off a new mole that appeared! (Will have to keep an eye on that if it comes back, I should get it checked out...)

Dead animal, or DEAD BODY? Have you experienced any hauntings lately?! Oh god, this is my favorite thread.

Also, I really don't like silverfish.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

bathsheba wrote:
Dead animal, or DEAD BODY? Have you experienced any hauntings lately?! Oh god, this is my favorite thread.

Haha...No hauntings, though the old man that lived here before me did die...When weird stuff used to happen or I'd misplace something, I'd shout "Stop forking with me Grandpa!!"

And the freakin guys never came today!!! Another night of silverfish and creepy spider beetles. YUCK. I do feel better though knowing they aren't ticks...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:02 pm 
Chip Strong

bathsheba wrote:
WhiskersGal wrote:

*cringe* I really really dislike them, I don't know how the OP can just deal with them all the time. I remember picking up a slipper sock as a kid and having one crawl out. I threw that sock away and never looked back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The exterminator is coming Friday to spray...

I'm really nervous about how upset my kitties will be since they have to leave. They've never spent the night anywhere but their home. When I go away, I always have someone come to my place and feed them. Friday I will be bringing them to my boyfriend's place, and then they will be able to come home Saturday. Friday night I'll be there with them but they'll be alone and scared all day! I'm going to his place tonight to clean...(he lives like a slob, and my boy cat eats strings, straps, shoes, paper, and pretty much anything he can...I need to "Milo-proof" his bedroom so its safe for them...Right now I'm pretty sure he has old skittles and chips under the bed. haha...so gross).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:04 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Take their bedding and put it into a big cardboard box so they can hide out. Build them a cat fort!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:26 pm 
Semen Strong

WhiskersGal wrote:
Right now I'm pretty sure he has old skittles and chips under the bed. haha...so gross.

He's lucky he's pretty :)

Sorry about all your pest issues. I hope you can get everything sorted.

If you're coming to Cupcake Fest, I'm going to be helping Jen sell vegan icecream and would love to see you again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oh my god, i am so so so happy you didn't have a tick-party in your walls. and i hope you get it all sorted out. yuck!