| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Talk To Me About Raw Food Living
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:54 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

You're not actually assimilating all 2200 of those calories from raw food, so the weight loss could be due to a net reduction in energy intake.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/ ... ie-content

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oh and I forgot to say:

- it messed me up mentally. I started being very uncritical towards low-fat raw veganism and afterwards... jeez, I don't know how to say it any other way, I just felt like I fell for a cult.

- cavaties. 30bananasaday told me/us not to brush teeth or only to brush teeth with water. did that for half a year. finally went to a dentist afterwards (oh yeah, dentists and real doctors are all evil..) and had 6 cavaties and one dead tooth. Well, I ate sugar all day long and didn't brush my teeth. What did I expect!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:09 pm 
WRETCHED

I'd personally avoid any diet with supposed magical properties which is my impression of how 30 bananas/day and 80/10/10 are presented. You won't get cancer from eating more than 10% protein.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I know for me, and a lot of other people, it was/is a replacement for my former eating disorder. I wanted to shed being mentally ill so much I just thought "so get healthy instead!" and I felt like people on the board felt the same way. Like we knew this secret to health and everyone was just too blind to see it right there, when it was so obvious...

It's a weird life when you're sad because you never manage to eat more than 6 bananas in one meal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:18 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i did 80/10/10 (and non-80/10/10 raw too) for a while and while i did lose weight and felt really energized and good for part of it, i always felt like i was edging very close to eating disorder territory (feeling bad about making choices that weren't "bad"- cooked beans aren't "bad", but i felt like a criminal for eating them. also forcing myself to eat huge volumes of food because i needed the calories. i felt like my entire day was spent planning food, eating food, or obtaining food and to me that is too close to unhealthy. your mileage may vary.). I have really mixed feelings about eating raw, as it did make me feel and look great, and I think there is some good to it, but i don't see it as being a long-term possibility for me.

ETA: also, i suppose i am shallow to say this, but i was on 30BAD for a while (the forum) and i left because of the way that the folks there perceived (and talked shiitake about) not only nonbelievers but also vegans and even other rawfoodies that didn't follow their version of 80-10-10. Anyone who has to belittle others to spread their own message is not the kind of company i like to keep.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I also left because everyone who said "why am i gaining weight on this? why am I struggling?" with shot down with "it's your fault!!" answers. And because everyone on a 1800 calorie diet was called "anorexic". And because it made just so anxious. I was sure I'd get cancer from gluten and fat...

I like to eat raw food, I do not like "raw foods". If you know what I mean. I have a hard to time just enjoying this kind of food now without moralizing it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Huh. Did not realise that I would not be absorbing it all.

I think I will finish up this round of 811 once I've made my way through all my bananas, because I am starting to see that despite eating a lot, I think it could just be another manifestation of my disordered tendencies. It's not a good idea to mask it this way really. It'd be easy to slip back since you kind of isolate yourself socially to a degree with this way of eating. And already I'm feeling bad for saying these kind of things because they seem like 'excuses' and I'm 'giving up', and I can imagine the 30BAD community would have something to say about it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just found what I wrote in February 2012 when I was still on the board but realized it wasn't good for my mental post. I will just repost this, maybe it explains better why I left and think it's an unhealthy place.

The main reason the fruitarian website is bad for me

is, I think, not the whole "if you eat cooked food you will get cancer NOW" thing, or the "oh, if you eat fat you will always stay fat!" thing because I know both are not true (they still scare me anyway),

no the worst thing is their dismissal of mental diseases. For them eating disorders mean "well, you have been eating too little/the wrong things!" and depression and panic disorder and schizophrenia and everything else either means

a) you eat not enough carbs /too much fat /not enough at all

or

b) you're not doing it right, you dont get enough sleep/don't drink enough water/are too weak

And in all these cases they say: it's your fault! you're complaining! You're shaping your own life! etc etc

well, there is some truth in the last part, in that self pity is harmful and that positive reinforcement works, but what they don't get is that most mental diseases can not be cured by a healthy diet and telling yourself you love yourself.

This is so belittling to people who are suffering from mental illness. But I of course read this shiitake and think "oh, right, i should have just accepted the rape better and not care about what my parents thought and not be so weak and just think I'm awesome and great despite NOT BEING PHYSICAL ABLE to do so because of an hormone imbalance".

This complete ignorance to common sense AND science just drives me nuts. It's just picking the parts of science that support your thesis and drop the rest.

There was one guy talking about his problems due to the death of his wife and being triggered into memories of his rape and the moderator changed the title to "How to stop the victim mentality and get a winner mentality!". How disgusting is that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:16 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

that's too bad, VIB. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. And I know the kind of response that this must have gotten.

It's too bad, because compared to the raw paleos or the Paula Deens of the world they are probably reducing animal suffering and providing hope for obese people etc, and i think some of them (30BADs) really mean well and would be willing to help. I met the grand poobah of the page in the US a few years ago and he seemed to be a really nice guy who would give you the shirt off his back. But I had a real hard time matching that with the guy on the forum who would completely crucify a raw vegan (different sect) who he considered to be "fat and ugly so she must be sucking down hamburgers on the sly" [this showing a picture of her from her blog. i found she was honest, actually, and realistic about being raw. she's not raw anymore, and not vegan anymore, but she's still honest and kind. she also happened to have a thyroid tumor, i found out a year or so later, which made me even happier i had stomped off the forum after this episode].
maybe i'm just naive to believe that people's online and offline personalities should be the same, who knows. again, not the kind of company i like to keep.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quote:
It's too bad, because compared to the raw paleos or the Paula Deens of the world they are probably reducing animal suffering and providing hope for obese people etc, and i think some of them (30BADs) really mean well and would be willing to help.

I think sooo many people on this board go back and forth between raw veganism and paleo or whatnot. It really was not my kind of veganism. Compassion wasn't most people's reason there.

I did meet very nice and kind people on the board. But they still had the "we found the holy grail" attitude and it really reminded me so much of a cult. But maybe that was more because of the way it made ME feel.