| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: the ANXIETY thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:14 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Vixki, if it helps at all, ive had by far the fewest issues with Lexapro. It does make me lose my appetite for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
Vixki, if it helps at all, ive had by far the fewest issues with Lexapro. It does make me lose my appetite for a few weeks.

Thanks, that's reassuring. I read that it can make you lose your appetite and I can't really afford that but I can figure it out.

Haven't got the prescription though yet as my GP surgery has "run out of doctors" to sign for me. Thinking of changing surgeries tbh. Googled my current doctors and there are news stories about them being in trouble. Once because a "young woman with a history of mental illness" went to see them and wasn't taken seriously over several occasions, they didn't even make notes on her case, and she died the next day from pneumonia which they told was anxiety. Of course those doctors are still working there and got away with an "oops we didn't mean it, we're nice guys really!".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:11 am 
Discovered unobtainium

For me the appetite loss is mostly not feeling hungry or not thinking to eat. I think if you are prepared for it you can set a schedule or similar for a few weeks. It's not like some medicines where eating is unpleasant.

I hope you can find a good Dr.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:17 am 
Semen Strong

Oh vixki! What a terrible story, and I so hope that you can find better doctors. Your experiences have been so awful, and to know that their incompetence and sexism actually cost someone their life is terrible.

I hope the medication helps - I have so many friends on Lexapro, and it seems to work really well for them.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thank you both. There's another doctors nearby I can register at, it's smaller and has fewer doctors but...hopefully it'll be better. In a way, it's good to know it's not just me. I don't get very very anxious too much these days but I do when I have to go to the GP and seeing that it's actually not a great place makes that more reasonable.

I was on citalopram a few years ago but my psych says that escitalopram is different so, we'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:23 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I drank too much at the weekend and I'm still suffering with social anxiety because of it. Alcohol is a double-edged sword.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:21 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Hangover anxiety is the sharpest side of the sword! I'm sorry--it's the worst. I learned that the hard way over the years.

I have a job interview today and it's the first job I've ever applied for that not just uses but REQUIRES my masters. I have to start with a presentation, and I am pretty prepared, but I am at the whim of anxiety--it'll do whatever it wants and I'll either fail embarrassingly or do okay. I am so jealous of people who can use tactics effectively on nerves. Nothing works on me!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:29 am 

Good luck in the interview :) I hate doing presentations. My public speaking skills are terrible. I'm sure it will go fine for you, though - things are never quite as scary as we imagine :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:28 am 
Total Hoover

I just got an email saying there's a viewing of my flat tomorrow at 2pm. I'm in the middle of making cake so there's baking stuff all over my kitchen, I'll need to wash the floor, I'll need to tidy up the rest a bit and clean the bathroom. And I'm very slow at cleaning, and will be away tonight. I want to hide, but that won't help anything- it will just be embarrassing tomorrow (and hey if the flat makes a good impression, maybe this person will take it and I won't have to deal with any more viewings!)

I shall not succumb to anxiety. I'll do some washing up now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GreenDuck wrote:
I just got an email saying there's a viewing of my flat tomorrow at 2pm. I'm in the middle of making cake so there's baking stuff all over my kitchen, I'll need to wash the floor, I'll need to tidy up the rest a bit and clean the bathroom. And I'm very slow at cleaning, and will be away tonight. I want to hide, but that won't help anything- it will just be embarrassing tomorrow (and hey if the flat makes a good impression, maybe this person will take it and I won't have to deal with any more viewings!)

I shall not succumb to anxiety. I'll do some washing up now.

Don't worry about it too much, if anything the viewer will just think the landlord sprung it on you at short notice and you didn't have time to clean. When I went to view the place I rented before now, the family were in the middle of cooking dinner! Like, stove on, food in the pan etc. The house was honestly a mess. But you know places are lived in, everyone knows that. You view somewhere inhabited, it's going to look lived in. Don't get overwhelmed by everything - set a task, like cleaning away the baking stuff maybe, and do that, and don't think about the rest until you've done that! It's easy to get overwhelmed and do nothing but if you just set one task it's more doable.

I hope the viewer takes the flat!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:00 am 
Total Hoover

I survived! I had got all the baking stuff washed and put away and put away my clothes and the drying racks so they could actually see the shape of the rooms. Didn't manage to vaccuum or wash the floors but oh well.

The first person came 20 minutes early so they got to see a random bucket in the bathroom (it had been drying out after soaking washing), a couple of soggy, crumpled bathmats and impressively dusty surfaces, but I got them out of the way and wiped down the most obvious bits before anyone else came.

And there were quite a few people- a single person and then four couples (any couple who can live in this wee flat impresses me). I got a bit stressed because he told the first two that it was furnished. It was rented to me as unfurnished but I assumed they must have furniture in storage if he was saying that. Then later when someone asked "Is all this furniture included" and I said not this furniture, the letting agent was confused and said he'd have to check with the office because he had been told it was furnished. Two couples left instantly at that point but the agent didn't seem annoyed with me- and that will be something they'll have to clarify before they start paying for credit checks on people so it's probably good I brought it up.

But anyway, I didn't hide and I didn't get cripplingly anxious.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GreenDuck, I'm glad it went OK! That's pretty rubbish of your landlord to not know whether it's furnished or unfurnished though, no wonder some people left!

I'm waiting at the pharmacy to get the escitalopram. I don't know if I'll be able to take it though, I'm scared.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:11 pm 
Total Hoover

Do you know what you're actually afraid of about taking it? Could you discuss it with someone you trust, like your husband? Maybe go through the patient information leaflet together and have him agree to keep an eye on you and make a plan for what would help if specific things you're worried about happen- that they should talk to you or encourage you to back to the doctor or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Honestly I get scared of side effects. Like I know often with meds you have a few weeks of feeling like shiitake, nauseous etc, and I feel sick already all the time and it's hard for me to willingly make it worse.

My husband tries but he has trouble being supportive over meds haha, he's the kind of guy who takes medication once a year or whatever and then only painkillers.

I think also the problem is I'm not 100% with the medication, I don't understand why it's being prescribed as anxiety wise I'm not too bad these days. But I don't get to see the psych again until I think December.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:07 pm 
Total Hoover

Side effects are scary, especially as they can't guarantee which individual will get which side effect, for how long, or how severely. Could you discuss it with a pharmacist (most pharmacies you should be able to have a one-to-one chat about medication in a private room) and see if they have any strategies to make side effects less likely. Like take the tablets with food or at a particular time of day.

That's terrible that you don't get follow-up appointments with the psych to see how you're doing adjusting to the medication, and that there's never time for them to really explain why they think this is the best course of treatment. Escitalopram is an antidepressant, it's not just for anxiety, is it? If the psych said it's to prevent nihilism maybe they're using it more against depressive symptoms than anxiety.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:23 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Vixki, you could also speak to your pharmacist about what other things it can be used for? My pharmacist is wonderful and so knowledgable.

edit: oh and I'm super anxious tonight. Feeling like I'm teetering on the edge of something terrible but I don't know why.

Probably just over tired.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:10 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks both. I don't really have a "pharmacist" it's just the local Boots and they do not have a consulting room right now because they're refurbishing the store!

But GreenDuck you have a point, I should see my psych for a check up especially as I realised I was only prescribed 28 tablets which is not going to last me long. I will have to query that. It probably is for depression but I think I am only suitably depressed for someone who feels sick 24/7. I am as happy as I can be. But oh well.

Moon, I hope you got some rest and can feel a bit better!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:29 pm 
Total Hoover

If the Boots is one which can fill prescriptions it must have a pharmacist on staff (in fact I think they aren't allowed to even give out the bags of medication people had dropped their prescription in earlier for, if the pharmacist is on lunch break, so maybe the pharmacist has to be willing to discuss patient queries?) But it wouldn't be appropriate to discuss things with the whole shop listening in.

Definitely book an appointment with your psych if you can, or the GP if not, well within that 28 days (I'm assuming 1 tablet = 1 day). You don't want to run out of tablets- I'm sure you know that suddenly withrawing from SSRIs can give troublesome symptoms. But really, it sounds like you need an appointment as soon as possible to set your mind at rest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:05 pm 

I'm feeling anxious about dying as usual. I'm under a lot of stress atm and panic attacks are pretty frequent. I'm just sick of them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:36 pm 
Total Hoover

I hope you feel better soon Quail. I don't know if it helps to tell yourself that even though a panic attack feels like you're dying, you aren't actually? Probably not, but I hope they go away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GreenDuck wrote:
If the Boots is one which can fill prescriptions it must have a pharmacist on staff (in fact I think they aren't allowed to even give out the bags of medication people had dropped their prescription in earlier for, if the pharmacist is on lunch break, so maybe the pharmacist has to be willing to discuss patient queries?) But it wouldn't be appropriate to discuss things with the whole shop listening in.

Definitely book an appointment with your psych if you can, or the GP if not, well within that 28 days (I'm assuming 1 tablet = 1 day). You don't want to run out of tablets- I'm sure you know that suddenly withrawing from SSRIs can give troublesome symptoms. But really, it sounds like you need an appointment as soon as possible to set your mind at rest.

Yeah they have a sign with the "named pharmacist" but at the moment no private area. The woman in front of me wanted to see someone in private and they told her they don't have that right now bc of shop works.

Think I'm going to have to get in touch with someone cos I just can't take these pills. Was going to take one tonight but it's not gonna happen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:25 pm 
Total Hoover

Definitely get in touch with someone. You shouldn't have to force yourself to take them if you're that worried about it. Apart from anything else it sounds like the nocebo effect might be pretty strong if you take them now- you will feel worse just because you're worried about them.
And often medication isn't effective enough on it's own; it should be in conjunction with talking therapy. You really need more support but I think you've had first hand experiance of how poor our mental health care system is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thank you yeah I think probably since I'm expecting side effects I'll get them. It sucks that that exists you know, even if I know the side effects are from my anxiety they'll still be there!

I've been on a waiting list for CBT since February now. I don't have contact with the CBT place and my psych keeps "forgetting" to chase them up. I've been rejected by two other therapists because my history is too long and I have physical illness too which they don't deal with. I know my county does have a very poor mental health service though, no staff etc. I was told by one nurse that there's only one fully qualified CBT practitioner in the whole county.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I made it through first day back in lots of boring meetings, filled with lots of noisy people and ridiculous team building activities.

I just sit out the activities. I don't care what they think, but doing some stupid exercise with a group contorting around to keep a ball or stick from falling isn't worth even mild pain to me.

I will say that my current school situation is so much better than a regular school for these meetings. There is a lot less rah! Rah! School spirit crepe to deal with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:29 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I had to take some of Mr Moon's Ativan last night. I shook and had heart palpitations and fought back the hand numbness and tunnel vision that indicates an anxiety attack all day.

Pretty sure I'm going to have to take some Ativan to get through work tomorrow. Which I've never done before. Hoping it is something I can manage since I have only ever taken it when I've been able to lay around at home after.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next