| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 724 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: the ANXIETY thread
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:07 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I've been so unbelievably caught up in anxiety the last couple days. Fear mounting, constantly, because I am fearing my thoughts and trying to make them go away. I need to just recognize that sometimes my fear alarm goes off, and with that comes a whole slew of catastrophic, negative, defeated, horrible thoughts. It's just so hard to turn your back on it when your brain is saying, "You're a failure and always will be."

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:19 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

paprikapapaya wrote:
It's just so hard to turn your back on it when your brain is saying, "You're a failure and always will be."

I don't know what to say, but I'll make an attempt anyway.

Try to see or understand that your brain is wrong. What ever standard you (try to) live up to, it will probably be never good enough for your brain.
Perhaps it's best to accept that no one is perfect, most people are just mediocre, and when you're mediocre, you're still more than good enough to be loved and accepted by every one else.

For me things partly changed because my main critic died so that some how removed a lot of subconscious criticism.

Other stuff that worked for me was to decided I didn't want to live within the "restraints" of fear or others opinions any more.
One thing that also works for me is that I sometimes feel or realize that I could be dead tomorrow, so worrying about what ever opinions others have of me is kind of meaningless. ( I ride a motorcycle, that's why I sometimes feel I could die at any given moment, I'm not sure how realistic that feeling is though)

I think I know the feeling of feeling to be not good enough, though every one has his or her own unique feelings.

I think I should say that I love you very much for who you are, just like your husband does. I hope you'll find peace with not being the person you (unrealistic) feel you should be.

**HUGS**

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have always had anxiety issues, I even had an ulcer in high school. Diagnosed with Body Dysmorphic Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. After many therapists and psychiatrists gave me lots of different meds that never really made me feel better, I put all my energy into finding natural cures. Acupuncture was a huge help, but got to be too expensive. Passionflower Extract is the most amazing product in the world. You put some drops in a little water (or juice) and it has the same effect as Ativan. Hyland's Homeopathic Nerve Tonic is also really good in a pinch. My nutritionist signed off on both. :) She also said that most of her clients have B+ blood like I do (65% in fact) and that we tend to have more bad side effects from food. Anxiety being a huge one. I avoid products containing corn like nobody's business. I went to a holostic therapist and learned EFT for a past trauma and I swear it actually worked!!! Amazing.
My anxiety is the worst after I am out at a social event. I can seem fine in the moment, but will have complete panic as soon as I leave - worrying about every single minute of the evening. That lasts for days.
It's so much better now that I have tools that actually help. I plan to do the EFT for more individual issues, now that I know how to do it.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:15 pm 

Hey masuphl, sounds like you and I are very similar! I have terrible anxiety AFTER any social event, usually not during. It's once I leave that all my panic has time to release and I am usually out of it for a few days afterwards.

Can you tell me more about EFT? I've never heard of it before.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

paprikapapaya wrote:
Hey masuphl, sounds like you and I are very similar! I have terrible anxiety AFTER any social event, usually not during. It's once I leave that all my panic has time to release and I am usually out of it for a few days afterwards.

Can you tell me more about EFT? I've never heard of it before.

I sent you a private message with probably too much info! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

My co-worker and I also keep "Tension Tamer" tea from Celestial Seasonings around at ALL times. There is something magically calming about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

hey masuphl, that's awesome that eft has helped you! i know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but seeing a practitioner who uses eft along with some other techniques completely changed my life in terms of anxiety.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

I've been especially anxious in recent weeks, to the point that every attempt to do homework (especially the final papers that will allow me to graduate) has resulted in massive panic attempts, crying jags, and/or thoughts of just giving up because I'll never succeed.

I've also been snapping at the only person I see as a consistent ally, which I think is a combination of anxiety and the manic side of my bipolar disorder, since the latter usually manifests itself in anger rather than the over-bubbliness commonly associated with the disease. It always seems to happen when he's trying to help me because, to me in those moments, he can't do things correctly and I just have to take over even when I shouldn't.

I hate this so much but I can't see a way out. I'm going to up my medication; however, that won't do my work for me or make cooperating easier, so I don't know what to do.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ugh, sorry chatter! that sounds really rough. It's really good that you realize what's happening even if you can't help it. I know you're not asking for advice but would it be possible to ask some teachers for extensions on some papers, even if you had to go a little bit into the summer or something so you could focus on one thing at a time?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

ijustdiedinside wrote:
ugh, sorry chatter! that sounds really rough. It's really good that you realize what's happening even if you can't help it. I know you're not asking for advice but would it be possible to ask some teachers for extensions on some papers, even if you had to go a little bit into the summer or something so you could focus on one thing at a time?

I would never want to drag things out into the summer. After June 5th, for better or for worse, I am going to be an alumna, goddammit! :)

I'll meet with the teachers I have to do things for (five out of six, and only because I audit the sixth class I take, therefore that teacher doesn't assign me anything) tomorrow and Wednesday. Since we have such little time left, I need to do this ASAP. Not sure how exactly they can help me, but even pointing me in the right direction in terms of research or breaking the tasks down like I'm a second grader would be appreciated. However, I'm afraid that I need constant supervision and coaching when I'm like this because all I want to do is hide in my room and watch YouTube or Netflix into the wee hours of the morning. IMPASSE.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've been so stressed out lately that I'm getting sick. I'm afraid my anxiety is going to get in the way of me concentration on my finals.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:53 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

i had a panic attack at work that lasted for a few hours. What in the FORK.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:06 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I was in an abusive (mentally, emotionally, physically) abusive marriage for almost 9 years. I was divorced 1 year ago. In the past year, I have had a lot of dreams about him either trying to kill me or abuse me or someone else in some way. It can be rather distressing at times when I wake up. I have probably had about 3 of these dreams in the past month or so. I started having them in Afghanistan and talked to the chaplain about it, and that was helpful... but it obviously did not help with the dreams. I am pregnant now, and I had a dream with him in it last night where I was kicking him out of the house and I was also 6 months pregnant in the dream, he started threatening to beat me across the stomach. After I woke up I probably laid there for about 10 minutes with a racing heartbeat. A dream I had a couple of weeks ago he sexually assaulted someone in front of me and my sex drive was gone for at least a week. I have been seriously considering going to a doctor about it. I don't know if I need a therapy. It doesn't interfere with my daily life... but I am worried about the subtle impact.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:38 am 

dragonssister wrote:
I don't know if I need a therapy. It doesn't interfere with my daily life... but I am worried about the subtle impact.

I've had dreams like those and I think it means you're processing things. Perhaps that talking with some one about your traumatic experiences will help or will speed up the process.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:45 am 
WELFARIST!

Veg_Eric wrote:
dragonssister wrote:
I don't know if I need a therapy. It doesn't interfere with my daily life... but I am worried about the subtle impact.

I've had dreams like those and I think it means you're processing things. Perhaps that talking with some one about your traumatic experiences will help or will speed up the process.

This is what I was going to suggest. Talking to someone might help you to sort out everything.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:32 am 

Well, I'm booking in with a holistic therapist who specializes in EFT. Thanks for the recommendation, guys. I am good at dealing with anxiety for the most part, but I have a lot of unresolved issues which I feel are bubbling up and are not being resolved in my regular psychotherapy sessions.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:13 am 
Nailed to the V

paprikapapaya wrote:
Well, I'm booking in with a holistic therapist who specializes in EFT. Thanks for the recommendation, guys. I am good at dealing with anxiety for the most part, but I have a lot of unresolved issues which I feel are bubbling up and are not being resolved in my regular psychotherapy sessions.

I am so glad that you're going to give it a try! I tried to keep my expectations low for it, and was shocked at how quickly I felt so much better! It's hard to believe that tapping can have such a big effect.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:15 am 
Nailed to the V

chimrichalds wrote:
hey masuphl, that's awesome that eft has helped you! i know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but seeing a practitioner who uses eft along with some other techniques completely changed my life in terms of anxiety.

Thanks! :) I am still pinching myself that it actually worked. Not that I am issue-free, but the one issue that was completely taking up too much of my day is just gone. Amazing. There are so many types of therapy/medicine out there and I finally found the one that is right for me!

I'm glad it helped you too :)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:51 am 

masuphl, thanks again! I'm going to give what you said to do a try, but I'm a person who does better with guided visual instruction, so I'm going to go a practitioner anyway, to solidify things. I'm a huge skeptic by nature, and am generally wary of things that are "new agey", but I'm willing to keep an open mind and accept that sometimes things just work and that's all I need to know. And like I said via PM, with something like this, what have I got to lose by trying it? If it doesn't work for me, then I'll know that it's not for me.

Feeling very anxious at the moment, seemingly out of nowhere. Fun fun!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:00 pm 

paprikapapaya wrote:
Well, I'm booking in with a holistic therapist who specializes in EFT.

Good luck paprikapapaya, I hope it works for you :)

I'm not familiar with EFT myself, but I've had a positive experience with EMDR http://www.emdr.com/ , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_moveme ... processing

So, if EFT doesn't work for you, perhaps EMDR could be another option.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:34 pm 

Veg_Eric wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

I'm not familiar with EFT myself, but I've had a positive experience with EMDR http://www.emdr.com/ , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_moveme ... processing

Neat, I've never heard of that either! I'll keep that in mind.

Hugs to all who need them, none of us are alone in this! <3

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:59 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

chatter710 wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

I would never want to drag things out into the summer. After June 5th, for better or for worse, I am going to be an alumna, goddammit! :)

I'll meet with the teachers I have to do things for (five out of six, and only because I audit the sixth class I take, therefore that teacher doesn't assign me anything) tomorrow and Wednesday. Since we have such little time left, I need to do this ASAP. Not sure how exactly they can help me, but even pointing me in the right direction in terms of research or breaking the tasks down like I'm a second grader would be appreciated. However, I'm afraid that I need constant supervision and coaching when I'm like this because all I want to do is hide in my room and watch YouTube or Netflix into the wee hours of the morning. IMPASSE.

Chatter, I'm really sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I want to chime in and say that if you need time off, you should take it. I'm 30 and am currently dealing with the truly massive pile of shiitake I created when I tried to "power through" the worst period of anxiety I've ever had. I made truly horrible decisions, all motivated by anxiety and not being able to properly deal with things, and I am SO PISSED at myself that I didn't just step back, take a year off, and come back to things. Now, rather than being a year behind my academic schedule, I'm going to be more like 5 or 6 years behind when I finally get things all sorted. If you need time to put the anxiety stuff behind you, please take it. It's not weakness, and if you're open and proactive about it with whoever you need to talk about it with, they'll probably be more receptive than you think.

I hope things get better for you really soon. Anxiety sux.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

Veg_Eric wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

I tried EMDR a few years ago. The problem was that I was crying so hard from the topic we were working on that it wasn't effective. I loved the idea of it though. It was explained to me as sort of filing papers away that have been sitting on your desk. So the memories are still there, but they are filed away.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:10 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Hi.

I think I'm finally realizing that I have anxiety issues. I'm putting the pieces together and that's what they are telling me. I worry a lot, over think things, reject opportunities because I'm afraid of doing something wrong. I'm always worried about doing something wrong and being at fault or in some sort of trouble. Lots of times when I don't even think I'm anxious over anything I find myself in a physically tense position like my shoulders will be hunched up or my fists or jaw will be clenched. I'll worry about something so much that I'll get nauseous or lose my appetite or I won't be able to sleep well. My husband and family are always telling me to relax or calm down but to me it's not that easy. To me they are not thinking things through so I have to be the one to think of every possible outcome and weigh it. I have trouble making decisions and would always rather have someone tell me what to do so that I'm not responsible. I worry about even writing this because I'm thinking about what if my grammar or punctuation or spelling is bad or what if I'm rambling. I realize now that it's been going on for years and I never had a word for it all. My family was always anti mental issues. They never believed in things like anxiety or depression. It was always "suck it up" or "just don't be like that." So I always told myself to "get over it" or "what do I have to worry about, there are people out there with real problems." Maybe that's why it's taken me this long to realize it.

Sorry this was so long. It's the first time I've admitted it to anyone, even myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:51 am 
Nailed to the V

I can already tell that today is going to be shitty. I'm going to fail two tests and probably fork someone up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 724 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next