| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: the ANXIETY thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:17 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Erika and boober, I'm sorry you guys are having some struggles right now.

Boober, I know the feeling of constant background panic attacks all too well.

These last few days have been really overwhelming for me. First it was Trevor's last day of work (he was laid off), then I had to go get my passport renewed which reminds me that the trip we're taking in November to Mexico is really happening (major social anxiety), and then we had a lovely but stressful day in Toronto on Saturday at the Veg Food Fair (again, major social anxiety). I hate not having total control over everything, it makes me feel so anxious and awful. I feel really disconnected and scared right now. I know it will pass, but that doesn't make it easier to feel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:00 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Boober, I know it's tough, but please try to find a doctor! Like PP, I know the feeling of constant background anxiety as well- it was most of my adult life before I went on meds! I know it's a horrible way to feel, especially the tightness in the chest- for me it's more like a heavy rock in the bottom of my stomach but I know that awful physical 'anxiety' feeling and when you become aware of it it almost makes the anxiety worse and goads it on.

If not medication, maybe a doctor can help you with other methods of dealing with constant background anxiety. I know it's the pits, good luck!

Also, paprikapapaya, I relate on the social anxiety thing. As for your trip, what gives you anxiety about that? I don't want to sound critical, I'm just wondering because travel for me sort of counteracts my anxiety (being somewhere completely new, where nobody knows me, is kind of liberating to me at least), I'm sorry to hear that it's causing it for you! I know it's easier said than done, but just try to focus on the beautiful weather and fun times you're going to experience with your husband- the great memories are what will last, not the panic we whip ourselves into.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:43 am 
Semen Strong

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Boober, I know it's tough, but please try to find a doctor! Like PP, I know the feeling of constant background anxiety as well- it was most of my adult life before I went on meds! I know it's a horrible way to feel, especially the tightness in the chest- for me it's more like a heavy rock in the bottom of my stomach but I know that awful physical 'anxiety' feeling and when you become aware of it it almost makes the anxiety worse and goads it on.

This x1000. I started therapy and was so determined not to be on meds, because I'd head stories about people having such a hard time with side-effect etc. I did talk therapy, visualizations, meditation etc.

And then one day my therapist said 'You realize you grew up with anxiety from the time you were little and you have no memory of what it would even feel like not to be anxious. why not just experience that?" So I started on a very low dose of Zoloft, and it pretty much changed my life. I actually learned in my body how it felt to not be anxious, and I feel like my thresholds got reset. After a year, I stepped down and then off the Zoloft, and have been med and anxiety free ever since. Obviously, I do a lot to support my mental health apart from meds - yoga, meditation, energy work etc, but I dont think I could have gotten there without the meds. Its been such a great experience.

Sending you tons of good thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
I'm just wondering because travel for me sort of counteracts my anxiety (being somewhere completely new, where nobody knows me, is kind of liberating to me at least)

Me too! It's so weird because I'll assume the anxiety will be terrible, but it's almost always fine. I'm starting a new course tomorrow but knowing that I'm doing it in a city where everyone I know has pretty much left and that I am almost 100% certain not to know anyone in the class, or the instructor, makes me feel so much calmer.

PP, I hope you have a blast and find that this trip might actually help curb your anxiety!

I guess I should be stoked that I didn't experience debilitating anxiety at VVC, like at all, even though seeing old friends and meeting internet friends in real life set me into a panic a ton in the weeks building up to the conference. Not to mention driving a car into America (border crossings make me want to die). But it was totally fine and I felt like a normal person the entire time (well, I was insanely nervous for the class I co-taught but that was no surprise). So, yay, I guess!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:51 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I feel better someplace new as well now that I think about it, but it's the process of *getting there* that gives me panic attacks.

I asked my regular therapist for a referral to someone who does CBT. I realized that I've been going for a year and while I'm emotionally in a better place my anxiety hasn't gotten better at all! I'm still undecided on trying meds.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:02 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Also, paprikapapaya, I relate on the social anxiety thing. As for your trip, what gives you anxiety about that? I don't want to sound critical, I'm just wondering because travel for me sort of counteracts my anxiety (being somewhere completely new, where nobody knows me, is kind of liberating to me at least), I'm sorry to hear that it's causing it for you! I know it's easier said than done, but just try to focus on the beautiful weather and fun times you're going to experience with your husband- the great memories are what will last, not the panic we whip ourselves into.

Thank you. I know that when I get there and stop focusing on the anxiety it will be fine, but the anticipatory anxiety about the million worst case scenarios I have whipping through my head can be debilitating. "What if I have the worst panic attack of all time when I'm there?" "What if I feel so bad that I can't enjoy myself?" "What if everything goes wrong?" and so on. I get so nervous ahead of things, and then they are usually fine. But as a result, I obsess/get so worked up about things and it's so unpleasant it makes me just not want to go forward with it.
When I force myself to do things, though, it's wonderful. It's the waiting/planning that drives me bonkers!

Major hugs to all having anxioustimes right now. Anxiety blows!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:20 pm 
Impressive boner

I need to see a dentist before something goes terribly wrong but I have a phobia of dentists. If I so much as see a drill I get sweaty and shaky and if there's an inference that it's going to be put in my mouth I start to cry. I need sedating for any dental treatment and I can only get sedation at expensive private dental surgeries, so I'm anxious not only about the treatment but also about the money.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:19 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I'm not overly familiar with how the UK health system works, but that really blows! They won't even let your psychiatrist or therapist write a note for the dental surgery or something?

I know this may sound completely ridiculous (and maybe it is a little ridiculous), but have you looked into hypnotherapy for your panic/phobia? I know several different people who have been helped by it for a variety of behaviors, including smoking, rage, and anxiety. A distaste for sitting in a chair with a drill in your mouth listening to adult contemporary radio (I really hope that's something you don't have to endure in UK dentists' offices) is completely rational, but of course what you're describing is terrifying and out of your control.

I'm glad you have an alternative, even if it is pricey- and that's so unfair, I'm sorry. I hope the money fairy comes along and gives you a Publisher's Clearinghouse or something!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 pm 
post-coital oreo truffle

I have been having insane anxiety lately. My appetite is shot, can't sleep for shiitake, extremely difficult focusing on my studies, socially a hermit crab (that's somewhat usual, but it's been worse)...ugh. I'm going in for a physical and having a blood panel and what-not next month. Not sure if I'll find out something that will aid in my anxiety issues, but I may be deficient in certain nutrients or something.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I read a study that air blowing on our face can help. maybe we should all sit in front of fans all the time?

ive started getting anxious about my future. im in nursing school and we basically work our last 3 weeks of the program. ive worked myself up believing that i need to decide my entire life based on what i choose for those three weeks, and that i need to apply for it NOW, before we've even spoken about it in class. ive been researching like crazy and feel like im choosing what type of grad school i want to apply for (anesthesia?), what city i want to move to (or stay here?), and what residency program I should go for when I graduate, all based on what i choose for this capstone. i get that this isnt really rational, but it makes enough sense that its all im worrying about. i gotta relax this weekend!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

8ball wrote:
I need to see a dentist before something goes terribly wrong but I have a phobia of dentists. If I so much as see a drill I get sweaty and shaky and if there's an inference that it's going to be put in my mouth I start to cry. I need sedating for any dental treatment and I can only get sedation at expensive private dental surgeries, so I'm anxious not only about the treatment but also about the money.

in the us its pretty commonplace to get anxiety meds and sedation for dental appointments. theres even an office nearby me called gentle dentistry that caters to the phobic. definitely try your dr for some pills!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:20 pm 
post-coital oreo truffle

rocklobster wrote:
I read a study that air blowing on our face can help. maybe we should all sit in front of fans all the time?

I wonder if that's why I sleep with the fan on? Hmmmm..... wind therapy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think caffeine might be a trigger for my anxiety. I had a lot this morning after weeks of none (and months since my last coffee binge), and I felt so panicked in Mandarin class. She was calling on us to translate or answer questions or write on the board, and I got myself really really worked up, I thought I was going to pass out. In the end she only asked me easy stuff I knew, it was all for nothing :(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:18 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Caffeine is a well known trigger as far as I can tell! Definitely stay away from if you have anything even remotely stress inducing coming up!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:53 am 

Definitely is a trigger. Pretty much everything ever written on anxiety states that caffeine is a huge irritant, and I know it definitely is for me, I get uncontrollably anxious and irritable, jittery, I can't stop moving my legs, etc. Needless to say, aside from occasionally having chocolate, I steer clear of it completely.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:34 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

for about the past 6 weeks i've been having severe anxiety and probably depression -- nausea, dizziness, can't sleep, exhausted, feel overwhelmed by the prospect of doing simple stuff like giving my dog a bath, separation anxiety from my husband and mom (she visited for 2 weeks to help me out and i felt a lot better but then i was a wreck when she left), afraid to take my kids out (agoraphobia, my dad has this) because what if i'm preoccupied with feeling sick and something happens to them, or what if i have a panic attack at the store. i was just diagnosed with BPPV (vertigo) due to an inner ear infection and i am going to get the physical therapy to fix it. knowing my diagnosis helped me feel better about the dizziness, but i still feel really crappy. a lot of it is due to my son starting school and making decisions about going back to work. ironically, i WANT to go back to work but i'm afraid of being able to handle a new job while having these symptoms.

SO, next week i have my first ever appointment with a psychologist. can you tell me what i should expect the first few visits? i kind of don't know where to begin, telling her about all my issues. will she put me on meds right away? can a psychologist even prescribe meds? i already have a mild xanax prescription from my doctor to help me sleep but it doesn't really work (i still wake up in the middle of the night, and then if i take another one, i am super groggy and tired in the morning).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:55 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Caffeine makes me CRAZY.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:08 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

littlechickadee wrote:
SO, next week i have my first ever appointment with a psychologist. can you tell me what i should expect the first few visits? i kind of don't know where to begin, telling her about all my issues. will she put me on meds right away? can a psychologist even prescribe meds? i already have a mild xanax prescription from my doctor to help me sleep but it doesn't really work (i still wake up in the middle of the night, and then if i take another one, i am super groggy and tired in the morning).

I think in almost all states they can't prescribe meds, so you'd need to a psychiatrist for that (I'm sure they'd refer you if needed). When I first started going she basically just asked me what was troubling me and then we talked a bit about my past and where I am now to try to get a sense of what's contributing to how I'm feeling. I was super super reluctant to go see someone, but it was shockingly non-scary. The first few weeks it seemed totally pointless, but now I really enjoy getting a chance to unburden myself and talk through what's causing me anxiety once a week. She also hasn't pressured me about meds at all, which is nice. Obviously your experience may be different, but it sounds like it could really help to get to talk about these things with someone besides your family! Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Glad I'm not the only one with caffeine problems! I just never noticed, I only really drink coffee when I feel I need to and I'm already in stressful situations (like towards the end of the semester, when I worked overnights at a Comcast call center), or when I go out for coffee with friends but I guess in a relaxed coffee house its a lot different than being grilled on Mandarin >.>

Good luck, littlechickadee! Can't tell you what to expect, I meant to go earlier this year to counselling but the lady I wanted to see in particular was off for the summer, so I should be making an appointment soon. I'm nervous too, but what I plan to do is just go in and just rattle off what's been going on lately and let her take it from there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

quinntheskimo wrote:
rocklobster wrote:

I wonder if that's why I sleep with the fan on? Hmmmm..... wind therapy.

i remembered where i read it! it wasnt a study, though im sure it came from one. hospice does it for their anxious/demented patients! the other thing they check when someone gets anxious is if theyre constipated, but we poop like vegans.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:23 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i can't handle caffeine, either. i used to drink diet cokes all day long, but about 5 years ago i started feeling anxious whenever i drank it. coffee's always made me jittery so i drink decaf.

thessaly, i've been reluctant about going to therapy too. i cancelled the first appointment i made a few weeks ago. but this time i'm actually kind of excited about it. i don't expect it to fix everything but it's got to help at least a little bit!

shy mox, i think that's what i'm gonna do, too (go in and rattle for awhile). then she can guide it however she wants.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my anxiety shot through the roof today. its making me a tad depressed too. lets all get to therapy together! i actually went to my schools dr office to switch my prescriptions to there and they told me they were too high and refused to prescribe them. hah! but i was able to make an appointment at my real psychiatrists for monday. wahoo!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:41 pm 
Inflexitarian

My anxiety is taking a huge toll on me and I went to cry for about 20 minutes in the bathroom. We had a professional development day today and my book disappeared (along with many things, I keep misplacing things lately).
I realized I've been stepping back my "meds" (I'm on all herbal things like Kava Kava, GABA, 5HTP...all because I couldn't handle prescriptions without completely losing it) and that's most likely a huge factor. But I've not had the money to pay almost $200 a month in supplements insurance won't pay for despite being told by my doctor that those are my only option. So I've been every other night, skipping nights, taking less until this last week I'm out. And this last week has gotten gradually worse. I just don't know where to go with this. I can't cry and freak out every day. I'm a teacher. I have to be responsible and coherent. I lost my last contracted teaching job because of my anxiety and panic attacks. I can't take this road again but I'm lost as to how to afford to take it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

assilembob wrote:
My anxiety is taking a huge toll on me and I went to cry for about 20 minutes in the bathroom. We had a professional development day today and my book disappeared (along with many things, I keep misplacing things lately).
I realized I've been stepping back my "meds" (I'm on all herbal things like Kava Kava, GABA, 5HTP...all because I couldn't handle prescriptions without completely losing it) and that's most likely a huge factor. But I've not had the money to pay almost $200 a month in supplements insurance won't pay for despite being told by my doctor that those are my only option. So I've been every other night, skipping nights, taking less until this last week I'm out. And this last week has gotten gradually worse. I just don't know where to go with this. I can't cry and freak out every day. I'm a teacher. I have to be responsible and coherent. I lost my last contracted teaching job because of my anxiety and panic attacks. I can't take this road again but I'm lost as to how to afford to take it.

no drug-meds work for you? none? shiitake i have no advice. that is really awful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

rocklobster wrote:
assilembob wrote:

no drug-meds work for you? none? shiitake i have no advice. that is really awful.

Everything I've tried makes other issues I have worse, make me comatose, or make my brain mush. I was so disorganized, confused and just lost on most of them. I've been on twelve different concoctions since I was a teen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 31  Next