| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: the ANXIETY thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:43 pm 
post-coital oreo truffle

shiitake, nobody is getting a break. Keep those fans a blowin'!

I'm thinking of going on some meds, and I'm having some reservations. I'm nervous about side effects, but mostly I'm nervous that they will take away my edge/creativity. I have no idea what to expect, but I think it's time to bite the bullet and give them a try.

I wish everyone else luck. It's pretty nice to know that there are other people that experience the same problems and can speak so candidly about them (not nice that anybody has to experience anxiety, of course; but, you know, comradery).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:39 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Phew, I'm happy to report that my deluge of post-breakup pre-move anxiety is slowly ebbing away... this weekend I signed a lease and yesterday got 75% of my stuff packed up AND booked a moving company. I am outsourcing my moving anxiety onto someone else!

Haven't felt this relaxed for about three weeks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:16 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yay, Erika!

I just wish I could outsource my roommate. He keeps making jokes about being a "third wheel in the relationship" when my boyfriend is there, he regularly pees with the door open, and the other day, he asked my cat, "did you miss Daddy?" when he came home from work.

I'm moving soon but in the meantime, the lack of boundaries is really upping my anxiety.

I hate feeling like I can't even breathe in my own space.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:21 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

what the hey, I was at the dr's today and my blood pressure was through the roof! Then 15 minutes later it was back to normal. It's crazy seeing physical proof of the impact that anxiety has on me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm reading a book about adult ADD and I think its the reason for 98% of my anxiety. I got diagnosed 7 years ago, took meds for a while, didn't follow up with my doc and stopped taking 'em when my presciption ran out. A year ago, my new general practioner gave me a new script upon request so I've been taking that off and on, mostly off (Strattera). It works, kinda, when I take it. But my life is still messy and anxiety/depression ridden (funny how you feel like crepe when you get nothing done, ever).

So I think I need a better plan than just "take meds when I remember and don't see any sort of mental health professional". I have an appointment for a physical next month and I'm planning on asking for a referall. Not really sure who I need to see but hopefully my doc will know

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:26 am 
Huffs Nooch

quinntheskimo wrote:
I'm thinking of going on some meds, and I'm having some reservations. I'm nervous about side effects, but mostly I'm nervous that they will take away my edge/creativity...

Quinn, I just wanted to say that I had similar reservations, however, ultimately I found that the anxiety and panic were taking away a lot of my creativity. Since I've found the right meds/dose, the inspiration flows much more freely. It took some time for my body to adapt to the meds, no doubt about that, but for me it was worth it for the return of my creativity.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:39 am 
post-coital oreo truffle

fenice wrote:
quinntheskimo wrote:
I'm thinking of going on some meds, and I'm having some reservations. I'm nervous about side effects, but mostly I'm nervous that they will take away my edge/creativity...

Quinn, I just wanted to say that I had similar reservations, however, ultimately I found that the anxiety and panic were taking away a lot of my creativity. Since I've found the right meds/dose, the inspiration flows much more freely. It took some time for my body to adapt to the meds, no doubt about that, but for me it was worth it for the return of my creativity.

That's good to hear you had a positive experience. I'm going in on Tuesday for an appointment. I hope that if I do end up taking meds, it isn't a drawn out process of finding the right type, but I'm sure it'll take some time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:05 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Hey all,

My husband was just diagnosed with anxiety/OCD. This diagnosis has been a long time coming. I've seen him struggling for so long, and I'm so happy that he's finally going to get the help that he needs. He's starting on a medication this week, and he's looking into therapy (his insurance plan is so crappy though. We can't find anyone local who will take it, and it's going to be a $40 copay for every appt - it'd cost more on my end of things, but I'm thinking that I should add him to my insurance which has much better coverage and has much smaller copays).

Nate's really closed about talking about this though. I want to help him as much as possible. I'm recovering from PPD/PTSD, so we're a lovely couple right now. Even though they're different diseases, I feel like I know what he's going through somewhat - that feeling of being so alone and a failure for needing meds/counseling. I want to help him. Any advice on how to talk to him, how to support him, or anything at all, please let me know! Thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:03 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Hey flavabean. My partner lives with pretty severe anxiety, so I understand a bit of what it feels like to be dealing with that, on top of your own issues (for me it's chronic depression). I've found that just reminding him that I'm here to listen if he needs me and I'm able to is the best thing I can do. Sometimes he doesn't want to talk to me about stuff; I have to let go and let that be ok. I can't control his dealing with this issue, and I can't really help him all that much, even though I'd love to wave my magic wand and make it all go away.

I think that by being supportive of him seeking help, you're really doing the best you can for him. It's so tough to watch someone you love struggling and not be able to do much, but this is a fight that he will need to fight on his own, with the help of his therapist. In the past, with my partner, I've babied him and totally enabled his anxiety by offering to do things that he felt anxious about, and/or stopping my own life for him (he was studying for a while, and had major anxiety around assignments, so I would sit with him and talk through the assignment to help him get it done, even though I had work I needed to get on with. We both realised eventually that this wasn't healthy or sustainable). Setting and maintaining good boundaries is so important.

There's no magic solution to being the most supportive partner you can be. Continue showing him and telling him that you love and support him, but make sure that you are also looking after yourself. If he doesn't want to talk about it, don't push him. I think that sometimes for folks dealing with anxiety, even talking about it can cause them to feel more anxious. Maybe as he undergoes therapy, he'll become better at talking about it and will be able to be more open with you.

I'm hoping for the best for both of you, your husband has made a huge step in starting therapy and medication for this issue. Good luck with it all. Also, feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk about it - I realise I just wrote a huge response and there's probably more I could say.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I actually like listening to other people talk about their problems, giving "advice", and then thinking about my own stuff in my head. I'm very open, but I'm not an emotional sharer.

Since I also post about my meds in this thread, and who knows if anyone is reading and interested I'll share that I am off the lexapro (almost) and will be starting zoloft. I felt like I got a glimpse of what life could be, and I want more so I'm searchin for the magic med.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 am 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Can I ask why lexapro didn't work out? I'm made an appointment with ye olde medicine dispensing psych for two weeks from now and I'm trying to decide what I'm willing and not willing to take for my damn GAD.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:26 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Week 2 of Cipralex (another brand name for Lexapro) and I think it's made my anxiety worse than it was on non-functioning Citalopram (generic Celexa). And it's way, way, way more expensive for what is just a slightly varied drug from the same isomer. Going to the doctor on Thursday to get this sorted out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thessaly wrote:
Can I ask why lexapro didn't work out? I'm made an appointment with ye olde medicine dispensing psych for two weeks from now and I'm trying to decide what I'm willing and not willing to take for my damn GAD.

it worked great before i started school, which is the reason i went on meds (so i wont drop out. again.).
now that im stressed, it was still working, but not enough and i was already at the max dose (but thats the norm for my family. we process drugs like champs). so im switching. also, lexapro is really expensive. but i would really recommend starting with lexapro. ive seen it be a wonder drug for a lot of people. the only real side effect i got was crazy dreams, which i liked. maybe some insomnia, but its hard to tell if thats a side effect or me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

paprikapapaya wrote:
Week 2 of Cipralex (another brand name for Lexapro) and I think it's made my anxiety worse than it was on non-functioning Citalopram (generic Celexa). And it's way, way, way more expensive for what is just a slightly varied drug from the same isomer. Going to the doctor on Thursday to get this sorted out.

it made my anxiety a million times worse for the first couple weeks. then i increased the dose and it started working. i was really bad in the beginning though.

now, since youre in the same drug family, i dont know how to advise here. i would suggest xanax to even you out during the day until you reach an effective dose.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

oh and p.s. the brain zaps when withdrawing are totally real!!! but i liked them. the nausea sucked, but the zaps rocked.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:46 pm 
Chard Martyr

I tried cipralex for three days and the anxiety was the worst I've ever felt. I know I should have stuck with it, but I just decided not to. I'm too scared to go on another antidepressant knowing how scary and difficult the initial symptoms and withdrawal symptoms are.

The brain zaps terrify me!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:07 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

waaah, this is what scares me. I know that at least right now I can function, even if everything freaks me out, but two weeks of terrible anxiety will do me in! I have obligations and things I need to do! If I start taking it Monday after next will I not be together enough to make it a wedding reception the following Sunday? Maybe I should just ask for a benzo instead.

That said, I looked around online and Lexapro does seem like one I'd probably like to start with. I checked my insurance and it's a lot still, but manageable and then it comes off patent in the early spring I think and should get cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:55 pm 
Chard Martyr

I didn't mean to be discouraging! Everyone really is different. Good luck! <3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:42 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

No, no, I was already discouraged from reading like a 1,000 accounts of the exact same experience online!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:57 pm 
Chard Martyr

People only ever post the negative experiences online! I know you know that, but I always have to remind myself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:03 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

True! Still though..

That's actually how I decided that Lexapro might be OK finally because the reviews were unusually UNterrible. But it seems like the two-three weeks of initial badness happen for most people even when the drug works out for them later. It's hard to find time to be a mess for that long!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I honestly believe its worth it. and ask for the benzo to help you cope initially! it helps to have a psychiatrist you trust and is willing to work with you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:04 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

And hey, sometimes there is no side effects at all! When I first started citalopram, I had no side effects. At all. It was great! The thing with antidepressants is people will react differently to each drug. rocklobster's experience, vijita's, mine, are all different and that's just the thing with antidepressants. They can be helpful though, but just remember that they aren't a cure-all. That's the unfortunate truth. I liken them to being like a teflon coating - negative thinking that would normally absolutely ruin me just doesn't have the same effect on me, it just doesn't "stick". Even at my best with antidepressants, I still have to work hard in therapy and do lots of relaxation exercises and stuff. You aren't alone, though, I promise you that <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:27 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

My therapist keeps saying they'll "take the edge off" at least, which makes sense with the teflon thing. You guys are all really helpful and make me feel better about this! I've been fighting the idea of drugs for like a decade (although I did take zoloft for a while as a teen and it just made me twitchy and killed my sex drive) because I can still function without them, it's just that lots of things become incredibly stressful and inconvenient (especially transit for some reason)! Hopefully I can take something for a while and then taper off and keep some sense of normalcy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:30 am 
Nailed to the V

I have a friend who's dealing with massive amounts of anxiety over whether or not she passed the California Bar Exam. She called me sobbing today, worrying that she didn't pass, and we still have over a month before the results come out. Based on her description of how she's feeling, she's feeling more stressed out about this than she did over some health/life-threatening conditions she's had in the past. I'm 1,000 miles away, and I don't know what to do. So far I've made it clear that she can call me any time, day or night, for any reason, and I've put a food-related wager with weighted odds on her passing (she passes, she buys me a pint; she doesn't pass, I buy a fancy dinner for her and her bf). This friend has been like family to me for the last three years, and I want to help any way I can. Any suggestions welcome.

Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next