| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: the ANXIETY thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I almost had a panic attack in class today. I was doing a presentation and about 30 seconds in everything went downhill. Things got so bad I lost my ability to read my notes and I gave up before things got really bad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:03 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

finnophile wrote:
I almost had a panic attack in class today. I was doing a presentation and about 30 seconds in everything went downhill. Things got so bad I lost my ability to read my notes and I gave up before things got really bad.

But no panic attack! Public speaking is a trigger for me. Lately I've been trying to focus on the little anxiety victories so I don't dwell on the rest of it. Best of luck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh finnophile, I'm so sorry to hear that. xxx

Man, my anxiety climbed a bit this evening. This morning a maintenance guy called around. He looked like the stalker from my last job. I was fine all day at work but now I am convinced something bad is going to happen and that guy will somehow manage to turn up where I work now even though he really, really shouldn't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks guys. It's sparked a bit of a spiral for me, but I'll knock all the school work out. I have an appointment with my therapist next week, so it will be useful.

Daisychain, I hope you feel better soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:24 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hope you are feeling a bit better today. x

I'm fine again today. It took me a long while to get to sleep though. I tossed and turned forever before falling asleep.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:12 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

my anxiety is manifesting itself as terrible nightmares again. eep! then I'm so tired at work from not sleeping well yet so so busy - the the anxiety cycle continues!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:30 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm getting married in three months, moving in one month, and trying to sort everything out is REALLY triggering my anxiety. Causing eating issues again which is not good. Really I need to be eating light (fruits, veggies, etc) because anxiety = nausea for me. So I go a while without eating and then get very hungry, snack on junk, then feel crepe again. But we apparantly can't afford me to eat salads, because salad isn't cheap. Grr. Also, wedding = dieting! Only I mustn't.

My head is a big whirrrrl. I really need to get over anxiety though. After the wedding I neeeeed to get a job. Like, REALLY need. I've never held down a job before. No idea where to start.

Got to do anxiety provoking things though. Gonna go walk to the library in a bit. Don't really want to, because I'm scared, but I should do. Never been to this library before which makes it harder. But that's a good thing, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Interesting day. I had a check-up with the dentist after work. My first one in over 9years. I knew I would have to get a filling for the tooth the dog broke but I was still a bundle of nerves especially since it is a male dentist and I generally don't leave a male within my personal space. The interesting part was how the increase in anxiety effected me. I was over checking things again today and spent about 5 minutes checking that I was using the right needle for an injection. There was also paperwork that I was getting the urge to keep checking. It made me so spaced out while trying to fight that urge.

As soon as the exam was done my symptoms were gone again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:34 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

Some life changes all coming in 3-5 weeks: graduating school, going from full-time student to unemployed, moving, temporarily without my own space, everything up in the air. My therapy sessions (no longer eligible for free counseling through a university) and yoga classes are also ending in three weeks. A fresh start will be awesome and obviously my current arrangement is not working because social/general anxiety, depression, etc have been trying to take over my life for the past couple years or so.

Because my inner life is so drastically different with how I present to the world, everything feels so separate, disconnected, and the only thing in the world when I'm in either mode. Or I don't even know if I can trust myself to make decisions or know my own personality because it's become so integrated with distressing modes of thinking and only letting myself have filtered experiences while others call the shots. I'm constantly confusing normal change/genuine loss of interest in long term passions and activities with my state of mind at the present time, so everything is just kind of swirling around feeling unfinished right now as I try to regain footing and the knowledge of what drives me and what I do.

I'm sick of riding the cycles of pushing myself to be more outgoing and getting over the panic, then isolating myself, etc. But maintaining a healthy social life quickly becomes overwhelming, so I either immediately or gradually push everyone away and jump into a bout of depression. Then I feel like a crasshole and overcompensate by being extra giving and upbeat but terrified to ask for anything. The concept of maintaining a relationship or close friendship long term is becoming increasingly mystifying, even though I certainly know I can do it. But it's gotten to the point where I believe my relationships have drastically changed by the minute due to invented ideas or irrelevant cues, and generally tend to keep almost everyone and everything at a "comfortable" distance. Then we're back to square one, effectively transferring control of what I can do into the hands of external forces: the noise in my brain, physical responses to going out in the world, and only being able to do things without excessive anxiety if I'm on either extreme of the mood spectrum or have someone with me.

Yoga and meditation have been fantastic for learning to relax and taking care of myself mentally and physically. And this sounds super hippy, but also reinforcing that I'm not just an overactive, disconnected mind floating through the day, but an actual person who is physically in the world.

I hope some of this will be alleviated when I get a change of scenery and take a few things off my plate. I'm a big girl, not made of glass, and should be able to do this. Some clarity and less catastrophizing, reserve, often and extreme changeability, and daily panic would be nice!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I got a grade back for one of my classes. It's a B. Not good, this has caused me to stress and panic about all my other classes. I am frozen with fear about writing my paper that's due this afternoon. Every time I work on it I get sick to my stomach and sometimes I get panic attacks. I e-mailed the prof, but I'm not expecting anything.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:29 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone, I am new to the thread and new to the PPK in general. I relate to and sympathize with what you are all going through. I thought I'd just dive right in here, because it seems that there is a wealth of information and experience.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest meds that have worked for them for generalized anxiety. I have had anxiety problems since my teens, and it is always shifting forms. Right now I have a particularly intractible issue that has been going on for the past few years. It affects me everyday all day. Specifically, I feel like there is something wrong with my throat and that I can't speak. This leads to a lot of social anxiety. I also start to hyperventilate. I guess it is pretty bizarre, which goes to show how deeply anxiety has dug its claws in over the years. There are definitely aspects of somatization, OCD, social anxiety, and hypochondria in all of this. I rarely get panic attacks and have no phobias.

I am very ambivalent about taking meds everyday, but if someone has a successful medication experience to share, it might point me in the right direction, because I think meds are needed. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:08 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Laurinscki- You should talk to a doctor to see what might work best for you. I've been on medication for a few months. Sometimes I still experience anxiety, but it's easier to control.

End of term stress is killing me. I was supposed to turn a paper in today, but I had a panic attack while editing and then took a nap (I haven't slept 8 hours in over a week due to anxiety). I plan on finishing up tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:36 am 
Tofu Pup

I'm on meds already: the same ssri i've been on and off of for a several years. I guess I'm wondering what ssri's have worked for similar symptoms. I realize we aren't doctors, but I thought there's no harm in learning about other people's experiences.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:34 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

AutumnVegan wrote:
Some life changes all coming in 3-5 weeks: graduating school, going from full-time student to unemployed, moving, temporarily without my own space, everything up in the air. My therapy sessions (no longer eligible for free counseling through a university) and yoga classes are also ending in three weeks. A fresh start will be awesome and obviously my current arrangement is not working because social/general anxiety, depression, etc have been trying to take over my life for the past couple years or so.

Because my inner life is so drastically different with how I present to the world, everything feels so separate, disconnected, and the only thing in the world when I'm in either mode. Or I don't even know if I can trust myself to make decisions or know my own personality because it's become so integrated with distressing modes of thinking and only letting myself have filtered experiences while others call the shots. I'm constantly confusing normal change/genuine loss of interest in long term passions and activities with my state of mind at the present time, so everything is just kind of swirling around feeling unfinished right now as I try to regain footing and the knowledge of what drives me and what I do.

I'm sick of riding the cycles of pushing myself to be more outgoing and getting over the panic, then isolating myself, etc. But maintaining a healthy social life quickly becomes overwhelming, so I either immediately or gradually push everyone away and jump into a bout of depression. Then I feel like a crasshole and overcompensate by being extra giving and upbeat but terrified to ask for anything. The concept of maintaining a relationship or close friendship long term is becoming increasingly mystifying, even though I certainly know I can do it. But it's gotten to the point where I believe my relationships have drastically changed by the minute due to invented ideas or irrelevant cues, and generally tend to keep almost everyone and everything at a "comfortable" distance. Then we're back to square one, effectively transferring control of what I can do into the hands of external forces: the noise in my brain, physical responses to going out in the world, and only being able to do things without excessive anxiety if I'm on either extreme of the mood spectrum or have someone with me.

Yoga and meditation have been fantastic for learning to relax and taking care of myself mentally and physically. And this sounds super hippy, but also reinforcing that I'm not just an overactive, disconnected mind floating through the day, but an actual person who is physically in the world.

I hope some of this will be alleviated when I get a change of scenery and take a few things off my plate. I'm a big girl, not made of glass, and should be able to do this. Some clarity and less catastrophizing, reserve, often and extreme changeability, and daily panic would be nice!

Not only do we look the same, we think the same, too. Love you, twin. <3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:47 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Stupid anxiety levels. I'm having the most irrational worries.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

2 papers due at midnight and I'm freaking out. I just need to get down and work, but panic attacks. If I work and do the daily grind it's only going to take me about 3-4 hours. Sometimes I just want to curl up and quit. If grad school causes these levels of anxiety it might not be worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:44 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hope you got the work done. When I'm panicking like that I keep reminding myself how good I will feel when it is done.

My anxiety is coming on great. I'm at the stage where if I start to get anxious I can actually distract myself which is great because now I get anxious rather than panicked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

so i've been on 20 mg of citalopram for over a month, and it's done absolutely nothing for my anxiety. i started 40 mg today and hope it will work. i haaate the waiting and seeing if it works out part of taking medication.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:32 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

laurinscki, two people close to me take medication for anxiety, two different kinds and it works, thankfully, very well for them. I won't tell you what the medications are because people and symptoms and people's reactions to medications are different. Have you talked to a doctor? Been referred to a psychiatrist? I think if you are having debilitating long-term symptoms then medication can be a lifesaver, both literally and in terms of quality of life.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:48 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

One of my triggery things for anxiety is being left out. There's a group of people I know sort of that are doing this hike that I really want to do (I did it with my brother last year) but they forgot that I'd said I wanted to. Granted, I should've advocated for myself better earlier and it's not like they're saying I can't, but one the cars might be full. So I'm all anxious about it now.

Also, there's something else I should be doing that weekend, so I really shouldn't do the hike with them. But I'm also anxious about finding other people who'd want to do a 22 mile in one day hike! Argh.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:45 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Feeling all anxious about going to work. It'll be a quiet night and I'll be able to goof around mostly, but I feel all sick to my stomach. I'm pretty sure it's just because I'm super exhausted and only got a couple hours sleep last night, and I usually get this way when I am over tired. I hope it goes away after I get there or it's going to be a long 4 hours.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My boyfriend invited his mom to our skype chat without warning or asking me, and I've never spoken to her or met her before. I immediately dropped the headset and was like

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

pms is so forking with my anxiety/ocd. i did yoga & tai chi tonight to calm down...

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I had an anxiety attack while shopping today. I was at the register waiting for my purchases to be rung up, so I couldn't just walk out without drawing a ton of attention to myself. It was so sudden and without reason. I started sweating and could feel my face flush, which made me super self-conscious and more anxious. I was convinced that everyone was looking at me and wondering why my face was turning beet red. It felt like it took forever for the employee to get all my stuff rung up, and I was so close to just bursting into tears. Glad that didn't happen, but still, ugh.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My anxiety is getting bad again. I've found my anxiety is related to school work. Not cool, I have a 60 page paper due in 2 months and it's not close to done. Thank god I'm not doing the thesis option (a thesis defense would make me even more anxious). Also, I have to extend a term in the program, so that gives me a bit more time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next