| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: the ANXIETY thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh it's definitely a thing! Having to poo is part of the flight-or-fight response, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:38 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Moon wrote:
Maybe this should be posted in the poo thread. I dunno. Whatever.

My panic attacks come on pretty fast, and pretty much make me almost black out in a matter of minutes. If they don't make me pass out, they make me need to poo desperately. I know stress poo is a thing, but, panic attack poo? Am I the only one?

Nope, I get horrible panic poos. Your body tries to empty all systems in order to help you flee the "threat" faster. At my worst, I'm going to the bathroom almost all the time and it's just undigested matter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh yeah, while I would be having a mental shiitake attack I would also be having a butt shiitake attack. Even now if I get a fright or bad news my first port of call is the loo.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh c'mon! I bragged on Monday that anxiety hasn't been bothering me which is fantastic since my mood is in the crapper. I totally jinxed myself and ended up panicking last night because I was getting overwhelmed by making out my shopping list. I ended up getting 1.5hours sleep.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Depression is reducing so time for anxiety to start rearing it's head. Best part of depression is that if it is sucky enough I don't have the energy to be anxious. Now that I have energy I am doing my usual counting of medication to make sure I have taken it. The past two mornings I have had overwhelming urges to turn my car around to come back home to check I had taken my medication. Only reason I didn't is that if I did I would end up running out of petrol for the car before my next pay check and I haven't any money left.

Praying this phase passes quick and doesn't get worse. Thank God I don't deal with medication at the job I am in now because I used to be in a right mess constantly checking and rechecking things then.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:40 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Social anxiety, I hate you. Go away.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Panic attacks make me have to pee a lot (like every ten minutes or less.)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:59 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

having people over - i get scared they will judge my place or it will not be clean enough. i believe my mom put this fear inside me.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:09 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Has anyone read "When Panic Attacks" by David D. Burns? My therapist recommended it and I was skeptical because it has kind of a "self-helpy" vibe, but I actually found it pretty insightful. Some of it seems overly simplistic but it did help change the way I think about anxiety. That said, I haven't really tried any of his techniques and I am still skeptical that any of them could help me...

Here's an amazon link for the book if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/When-Panic-Attack ... ic+attacks

(and sorry if this was brought up already, I did a search and couldn't find any mention of it...)

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:16 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I really liked My Age of Anxiety, and it kind of helped me realize that it is worth trying meds again. I started Cipralex. The last time I was on it, I was just exhausted, had no appetite, and I lost about ten pounds that I can't really afford to lose. However, I think I'm in a better space now with many more tools to work on stuff, and I'm going to be incredibly busy with my new job so there won't be an opportunity to get lost in lethargy, I really hope it helps because I have a whole shit-ton of stuff going on in my life right now and I could use a slightly thicker skin and help with cycling negative thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:03 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Does anyone else start to panic when reading about the symptoms of a panic attack? Like, a straightforward bulleted list when you're say, at a training about mental health. Sometimes I just want to be like, brain, you're stupid, this doesn't make any sense.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:18 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

strawberryrock wrote:
Does anyone else start to panic when reading about the symptoms of a panic attack? Like, a straightforward bulleted list when you're say, at a training about mental health. Sometimes I just want to be like, brain, you're stupid, this doesn't make any sense.

Yes, absolutely.

And when we were learning about how the respiratory system works in grade school, I would convince myself that I am not able to breathe.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:15 am 

I am currently so scared of everything and feel like my whole life is crumbling and everything is catastrophic and awful. Don't you just LOVE having panic disorder and GAD? SO MUCH FUN. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:35 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I think it's odd how stubborn I've gotten about my anxiety. When I was younger, and had insurance and thus access to medication, I would pop a Xanax at the very first sign of a panic attack. I did not want to feel those feels, and I'd do just about anything to erase them. Maybe it's because I lost my anxiety for awhile (for whatever reason, I had very few signs of anxiety for about 5 years, and it was glorious), but now I fight taking anything that will calm me down. It's like I refuse to acknowledge that I need something. I feel so weak sometimes, and for whatever reason, taking a calm down supplement (I really like Rainbow Light's Busy Brain Release for mild, nagging symptoms, and 400mg of magnesium citrate for more severe attacks) feels like defeat. I'll fight it and fight it, feeling worse and worse. But when I finally cave and take something, I feel so much better. I need to get to a place where I feel ok with supplementing so that I can function, or at least not drive myself into panic spirals.

I just wish it would go away again. What made it go away in the first place? I know what brought it back (job upheaval/living alone for the first time in 8 years/financial woes/buying a new car/feeling isolated from friends/not feeling super secure in my relationship/too much free time followed by no free time at all/etc), but what made it go away? I know I really just need to work on the things that cause it, but so many of them feel out of my control.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Social anxiety and panic attacks use to debilitate me at the worst possible times. One of my medications, clonazepam, does wonders for me when I absolutely need something. Over time, I found just having them on me lowers my overall anxiety and allows me to function in situations not possible before. Just knowing I have something at the ready helps more then I would have thought.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My anxiety levels are being really triggered by the neighbour across the road. He is one strange asparagus individual. He is always out in the street while his kids are out playing. It's not out of caution and watching his kids, they are often out on their own. It's when the other kids in the street are out so he can be nosy. He sends them to play outside my house and then he looks in my window. He isn't even one bit discreet about it. I have to leave my blinds down the whole time for privacy. Because I was stalked a few years ago it is totally putting me on edge and making me hypersensitive. He isn't the type of person I could say it to either because then the whole neighbourhood would know. He is an unbearable gossip. At one stage after dodging him successfully for a few months he called to my door one evening because he had bought me kitty litter bags while he was shopping "by accident."

This evening I got home from my counselling session and there was a typed note through the door to say he will be around in a few days to collect money to hire a gardener for the neighbourhood. I'm already freaking out. It is really pushing on my flight instinct. He is the only contact on it. To be honest I don't trust him one bit to handle finances. He is the only named person on it so there are lots of issues I have with that alone. I know I won't manage to escape him at all because he spends his entire free time standing outside across from my house.

The thought of having to give a polite sod off I don't think one person dealing with it is the appropriate way to go is filling me with dread plus triggering my anxiety about having to converse with someone who triggers my anxiety. So double whammy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

allularpunk wrote:
I think it's odd how stubborn I've gotten about my anxiety. When I was younger, and had insurance and thus access to medication, I would pop a Xanax at the very first sign of a panic attack. I did not want to feel those feels, and I'd do just about anything to erase them. Maybe it's because I lost my anxiety for awhile (for whatever reason, I had very few signs of anxiety for about 5 years, and it was glorious), but now I fight taking anything that will calm me down. It's like I refuse to acknowledge that I need something. I feel so weak sometimes, and for whatever reason, taking a calm down supplement (I really like Rainbow Light's Busy Brain Release for mild, nagging symptoms, and 400mg of magnesium citrate for more severe attacks) feels like defeat. I'll fight it and fight it, feeling worse and worse. But when I finally cave and take something, I feel so much better. I need to get to a place where I feel ok with supplementing so that I can function, or at least not drive myself into panic spirals.

Hey ap, I have been struggling with similar feelings-wishing I didn't need medication, feeling weak, feeling like I "should" be able to control my anxiety. Those feelings just make it worse. I was thinking about it the other day after flying (and panicking the entire day before the flight) and asking myself why I feel so resistant and stubborn. What would be the danger in just telling my friends and family when I'm having anxiety? I feel ashamed, but that won't change anything. Something is just a little off in my brain and I'm going to treat it just like I would treat a condition elsewhere in my body because I deserve to accept the help I need and I'm not going to feel bad about it any more. For me, that's the challenge: to let go of feeling ashamed about needing help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:46 pm 
And you never will.

My husband is leaving for England indefinitely in the morning, and I feel I've handled it pretty well up to now, but it's all starting today. I have that sinking doom feeling in my chest, my fingers have gone numb, and I've broken out in hives. Awesome. There is nothing specific that I'm worried about, but my body is trying to convince me that I'm pretty much gonna die.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:04 pm 

Deep breaths. Just remind yourself what it is - an overreaction of your nervous system, a fight-or-flight response. Don't feed it with fear of the fear.

(I should really take my own advice - says the girl whose been in a constant cycle of fearing the fear for...ever?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Have any of you tried mindfulness to help with symptoms? I downloaded a mindfulness of breath podcast to take to work for the patients and I tried it out myself first. It was absolute bliss. Like I have never been that deeply relaxed ever. What drew me towards it is that it is a well researched approach. So I took it to work and any of the patients that "think too much" find it amazing. I really need to get in the habit of using it every single day. I do find the nights my mind is working overtime that I do it myself without the podcast and I'm usually asleep within minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:19 pm 

I have! I have really been trying to get back into it because it is one of the most helpful things I've ever done. Not only just as a meditation/breathing exercise, but just as a philosophy - taking a step back and being mindful of thought processes instead of engaging with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:23 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have not been able to calm down since reading about the local school shooting this morning. Sometimes I don't know what to call "anxiety" and what to call "a rational response to something completely horrifying." But either way I need to be able to do things like get work done or eat lunch or be able to carry on conversations and I can't and I just want to go home.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:33 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

paprikapapaya wrote:
I have! I have really been trying to get back into it because it is one of the most helpful things I've ever done. Not only just as a meditation/breathing exercise, but just as a philosophy - taking a step back and being mindful of thought processes instead of engaging with them.

I know. It only took one go and I was like I'M SOLD!!! The psychologist at work said she wants to run a psychoeducational group on it so she said I can join in and she can mentor me so that I can then run the group myself in the future. She is a big believer in it herself and actually practices it too. I got a book on it for depression but it recommends not using the book while you are acutely unwell. Makes sense, I started reading it and reading about what depression is like when you are depressed..... well..... total mind sucking experience. Looking forward to being better so I can get going properly with it.

Oh Strawberry xxxxx Massive huggles. Maybe take some time and get some fresh air. Do a bit of deep breathing. Then when you go back to work decide what needs to be done and what can be put off until tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Awake since 4am. Brain is in overdrive. Even mindfulness isn't calming me. Roll on 7.30 so I can take my meds again and that might take the edge off.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:10 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Thank you, Kiddo. I do need to get over the shame of needing help. Obsessing over it just makes things worse, since I refuse to take the things that help. I honestly get very little out of telling anyone that I'm feeling anxious, though. I know that my mom and my best friend understand, but them understanding doesn't make me feel any better. I had another little breakdown over the phone with my mom this past weekend. I think I'm mingling some depression with my anxiety, and I was talking to her about how…this is my life. This is probably the best it will ever be. I'll be working 3 jobs, 60 hours a week, with no health care, living alone, never taking care of myself because I'm so busy, in a tumultuous relationship…forever. There is no reprieve. And I need to just accept it. She thinks that it's nonsense and that something will have to give eventually, but I'm so mired in it all right now, that it's hard to have hope. I've always been such a hopeful person, but I've just really been beaten down this past year. It's hard. And I'm crying a lot, which I hate. Anyway, I should take something when I start to feel like that, right?

daisychain, what is the name of that mindful breath podcast?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next