| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: the ANXIETY thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:32 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Big hugs, lepelaar. You're not alone, and you can always PM me if you want to chat in private.

My anxiety disorder has had me in such a horrible headstate this weekend that I forgot my psychologist appointment. I don't even know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:53 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks, PPPP. Right now, I'm just trying to get my head around what's going on with me.

I'm sorry you're in such a bad headstate too. Big hugs right back at you.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:31 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Ugh, I have a gnawing feeling in my gut and around my heart and I keep wondering what I'm anxious about, and then I realized I've been thinking about OK Cupid and responding to the messages I have.

Yeah, so maybe I'm not quite ready to get back out there yet.

Apropos, I have finally started listening to the Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast, and was listening yesterday to an older episode with Maria Bamford. She is not only hilarious but of course very relatable if you've ever suffered from anxiety. At one point she said something so incredible- she said anxiety is like the feeling you have when you know you're going to throw up, but you're not throwing up yet. I was like 'WOAH' to myself out loud in the car, haha. I've never heard it described so accurately before.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

Welcome and hugs, lepelaar. I want to make it a point to post more too, because you all seem like a great group of people and I can identify with a lot of what you say.

I think right now I'm trying to numb some of the anxiety triggers because I want to avoid thinking of how miserable I'll be in a few weeks when I have to move back home with my parents (next week I'll be officially done with all of my grad school requirements, and I've never not been a student, and I don't have the skills or confidence or motivation to start thinking about pursuing careers, and I'll miss my independence). Feeling like there are people always on top of me (my mother can be on the clingy side). Won't help either.

I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but as dreadful as anxiety can be, there are often times when I want to keep it around, because it is a part of me and I am used to it, and the thought of being without it is scary. But then people judge you for the things holding you back..I'm learning to just keep my mouth shut because I fear people will tell me to stop complaining about things if I'm not doing anything about them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:02 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

sweet_potato wrote:
I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but as dreadful as anxiety can be, there are often times when I want to keep it around, because it is a part of me and I am used to it, and the thought of being without it is scary. But then people judge you for the things holding you back..I'm learning to just keep my mouth shut because I fear people will tell me to stop complaining about things if I'm not doing anything about them.

Oh my, I was just coming here to say the same. This medication I am on (cipralex) is making me not give (as much of) a shiitake about stuff, to the benefit of my sanity but it's so scary because I feel like everything is falling apart but I don't have the energy to care about it. I don't think it's the right medication for me because my short-term memory loss is causing embarrassing situations at work. I want to stop taking it but I am really worried. I mean, it's not like I just uprooted my life and moved across the country or anything...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ugh, sorry to hear that! I don't have experience with anxiety meds because I've never been on any, but that definitely sounds frustrating. You do have a lot of things going on and I admire the courage it takes to make those kinds of changes. I hope you can find some balance and that things look up for you soon!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Lepelaar, often some relief comes with a diagnosis. It's like you finally know what the problem is so you can start to address it.

I only got my diagnosis 2 weeks ago (recurrent depression due to a heck of a lot of adverse life events) and it was actually a relief because I could finally think gosh well that isn't so bad after all. Now I know a lot of my anxiety is due to the combination of my bizarre life and a definable illness it doesn't feel as bothersome. I really don't know why I resisted getting the diagnosis for so long now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

Diagnoses definitely make things feel more legitimate. I've had therapists ask me why it was so important for me to know/define certain things, but being able to actually name something makes me feel like it's real and significant and that I'm not just overreacting to something stupid and being a little brat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:22 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have to say, I spent 4 years saying I don't want the diagnosis because it wasn't important to me! I think it was me burying my head in the sand not willing to admit I had mental health problems though because as it was there was people in my life that were treating me like I was completely unable to care for myself because of it. I think because I'm a lot more confident in myself the past few months that I'm ready to say... yeah, my heads a mush but that's fine I'm still me and it is only a small part of me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:41 am 

Good for you, daisychain! There is nothing wrong with people who suffer from anxiety other than it makes life really hard and sometimes seemingly impossible, so we really deserve some sort of medal for trying in the first place, not scorn!

My anxiety situation: I NEED TO STOP READING WORK EMAILS WHEN I WAKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. My anxiety-inducing boss lives in Thailand so there's always a barrage of emails from him and it's the worst way to start my day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:31 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Definitely Vijita! In fact, people thinking I can't manage and treating me like that actually escalates my anxiety and makes things far, far worse.

Lately, I've been realising how much poor sleep effects my anxiety and mood levels. Yesterday I woke at 4 and didn't get back to sleep. I was irritable, hyper vigilant and my mind was starting to over think. Then last night I didn't get to sleep until 2am. 22 hours without sleep. Today I was getting really sucked in to the anxiety side of things and was getting so preoccupied I couldn't focus on what I was supposed to do. Eventually I just gave in and done some mindfulness relaxation and managed to have a 2 hour nap. I'm still overthinking but hopefully later today I will be able to focus on some college work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:28 am 
WELFARIST!

My anxiety is through the roof this morning. No discernible reason why. And I know I shouldn't be drinking coffee, but I am, which is only going to make it worse.

Well, maybe the reason why is actually that my parents are coming Saturday, I don't know if T can come to dinner with them or not, Sunday is my birthday dinner with friends, and then my actual birthday is Tuesday. Last year's birthday was such a bust, mostly because I was in a really bad place (with my anxiety!). I need to breathe deeply and go with the flow, but that....is not generally how I roll when I'm feeling like this.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:47 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Just made a few necessary doctor appointments, now I have to wait until they happen. Usually I drive myself nuts worrying about them until I am a big mess the day of, then it's over and it seems like no big deal. I have been trying to figue out exactly what it is that creates so much anxiety, I know it's an old pattern but I'm not sure what started it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I stupidly got badly sunburned the other day. I have mild sunstroke. If this is considered mild then I would hate to have the real deal! The neurological effects are so messy. I have random moments of wanting to cry, periods of anxiety which is very health focused, agitation and restlessness. I could not stop pacing at work today.

I know the symptoms aren't an actual reflection of my current mental health but because anxiety is in the mix I then get mental health anxiety and think I am relapsing. Gah. But I know it isn't. But it doesn't stop my mind fixing on it which totally escalates the anxiety which increases the restlessness and agitation and then the moving around causes my body temperature to go up which makes me feel sicker which causes more anxiety and around the circle we go again.

Lesson learned...... Even if it is overcast and has been pouring rain for the entire week beforehand I will be wearing factor 50 if I am going to be outside for that length of time again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:21 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I need advice...How do I help someone with anxiety who doesn't believe they have a problem?

My husband has super anxiety over work, specifically making phone calls when other people are in the office. It's bad enough that he considers quitting his job when he has to make a phone call and can end up really upset over the fact he has to make a phone call. Usually he puts it off until the boss gets cross and tells him to just make it now.

He denies he is anxious and says actually he gas a good reason to not want to make phone calls because he sometimes stumbles over his words and he "knows" everyone else is judging him.

I have a super long history with anxiety and have done years of therapy, cbt etc, which have helped. So I totally understand how bad it can be. But if I try talking to him about perhaps challenging the attitude of "phone calls are inherently bad" he denies he has any anxiety and denies that he could ever change his thoughts.

I just don't know what to do. I know you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves but I can't just watch him throw his career away over making at most one phone call a day.

Anyone got any advice, words of hope, anything?
call.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:32 am 

vixki wrote:
I need advice...How do I help someone with anxiety who doesn't believe they have a problem?

My husband has super anxiety over work, specifically making phone calls when other people are in the office. It's bad enough that he considers quitting his job when he has to make a phone call and can end up really upset over the fact he has to make a phone call. Usually he puts it off until the boss gets cross and tells him to just make it now.

He denies he is anxious and says actually he gas a good reason to not want to make phone calls because he sometimes stumbles over his words and he "knows" everyone else is judging him.

I have a super long history with anxiety and have done years of therapy, cbt etc, which have helped. So I totally understand how bad it can be. But if I try talking to him about perhaps challenging the attitude of "phone calls are inherently bad" he denies he has any anxiety and denies that he could ever change his thoughts.

I just don't know what to do. I know you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves but I can't just watch him throw his career away over making at most one phone call a day.

Anyone got any advice, words of hope, anything?
call.

My dude is a bit like that too, but super against admitting he has a problem that he might be able to get help with. It's hard! I think it takes a long time for someone to admit they have a problem, and then it's a struggle to suggest things that might help. My husband always frets and frets about social interactions where I observed him being completely okay but he thinks he messed it up and said all the wrong things. It's exhausted to go over with him because I have this learned "I am just being overly self-critical/anxious" mantra but he doesn't think that applies to him.

So unhelpful, sorry! But commiserating!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:54 am 

Thanks... Good to know other people know what I'm talking about!

It's just frustrating, you know...I know ways tochelp him feel better but he won't do anything! But he's the same with physical ailments too. If he feels a headache coming on he'll just blaze on until it becomes a full on migraine, wont take a painkiller or rest to stop it before it gets worse. I totally don't get it but I guess it's a difference I have to learn about. I just hate knowing that I could help him and make it easier but he won't let me...

I think it's partly an upbringing thing. He's terrified of his family finding out that I've been in a psych hospital because he says they'll never talk to me again if they do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm feeling really crummy right now over something that happened a little while ago. My mother and I went to CVS to get flu shots, and afterwards I had to get something else so we waited on line to pay. Person in front of us is someone my mom knows, but I have no idea who he is. So she says, "Oh, J, you remember sweet_potato" instead of giving me cues as to who this person is. I have a hard time in general recognizing and remembering people's faces. So they're chatting and he asks me how I'm doing and says he hasn't seen me in a long time and I sort of half mumble an answer and stare at my Dr Scholl's inserts that I'm buying. Because small talk is hard enough, but I just cannot do it if I have NO IDEA who I am talking to! And then mom steps out of line to get something, and he asks me again, by name, how things are going, and I do the half-answer-stare-at-my-purchase thing again. He gets called to the register, mom comes back, and when I ask who the hell this guy is she says it's J the accountant, in a why-don't-you-know-this tone. And I'm like Oh! THAT's who that is! And I said that I was rude because I didn't have a clue and that she should've helped me out from the very beginning. And when we're on line and he's leaving, he says goodbye and I said "I'm so sorry for being rude, but I didn't recognize you!" And he was totally fine, said he saw I looked confused, and even blew kisses to us as he left. But even though things are fine I'm still ruminating over this and I'm upset at my mom for putting me in an awkward place and I'm mad at myself for not being able to be all nice and sociable. Even though I haven't seen this person in at least 6-8 years. But he also used to be married to one of my elementary school teachers and most likely had a good opinion of me, and the last time I saw him was when I still had a good opinion of myself. So on top of all that awkwardness I feel like I've lost one of the last pieces of the good identity I used to have/person I used to be, like the facade is officially over or something like that. I've also been more agoraphobic since moving back home and now this happened and it's fueling my depression and now I'm just really sad and mad at myself for being so wound up by it all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

sweet_potato, I get people not recognising me all the time, and I don't take offence at all, especially if they haven't seen me in a few years. Some people are just better with face recognition than others. I really don't think it's as big a deal as you're making it in your mind. Please don't take that in a dismissive way, I mean I understand why you would be distressed by the incident, but it might help to know that it happens to other people all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

I really do understand the logical aspect of it all, but I'm still upset.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:01 am 

Just had a panic attack while out for lunch with husband. I needed some fresh air but he didn't want the embarrassment of asking the server for a take our box. So I just walked out cot s I couldn't breathe. Don't think he'll ever forgive me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

However, I've been meeting professional herbalists lately and my brother-in-law is an MD who likes to be a wonk with reading up on studies with herbs. They have all been telling me about lavender for anxiety. A friend of mine who is also a doctor sent me these links about lavender oil capsules being used for anxiety. It is approved for such a use in Germany. Clinical trials have showed lavender oil capsules to be non-habit forming, safe, and best of all effective. 80mg lavender oil capsules have been show to be as effective for reducing anxiety as 1/2 mg lorazapam/attivan tablets.

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on T.V.

Do your own research , see a doctor.

Here are the links:

( scroll to the bottom for the comparison to attivan and other drugs ):
http://naturalmedicinejournal.com/journ ... pression-0

http://www.naturalhealthadvisory.com/da ... -in-women/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:27 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Vixki, I'm sorry that happened, but partners should understand with things like that. Removing yourself from the location where you're having a panic attack is probably the healthiest thing you could do.

I think coffee has started making me anxious so I'm going to have to stop drinking it to see if it makes me feel better or not. I don't know! Anyone experienced coffee induced anxiety?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:50 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I had to give up coffee, lilianp, because it is strongly contraindicted for those with serious anxiety disorders. It's been about 5 years now, and I have a feeling that if I were to ever go back to it, it would make my life a lot harder! Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:23 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I stopped drinking coffee a couple months ago because I suspected it was fueling my anxieties too. I mean, I've got enough adrenaline going through my body for no good reason, and coffee just added to that. I feel a lot better without it. I slipped up once a few weeks ago because I'd only had like three hours of sleep and was exhausted (been having sleeping issues) so I figured that would balance it out, but the only difference it made was that I was now extra anxious on top of being exhausted.

I've actually been wondering if there's a physical element to the increase in my anxiety in the last year. I mean, the fears have always been there although they come and go, and this year has represented a huge change in my life which is when my fears manifest the most, BUT I've also noticed that even when my brain seems calm I have what feels like an overdose of adrenaline in my body a lot of the time. I have polycystic kidney disease, and I know that the cysts are not limited to my kidneys (I have them in liver and spleen too) and now I'm wondering if maybe I have one pressing on my adrenal gland. I have to find a nephrologist in my new town, so will be getting that checked out soon.

I have also spoken with someone at the mental health center here and am on a waiting list for an appointment, but that could take up to half a year. Luckily, I'm not nearly as anxious as I was a few months ago when I first posted here.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 766 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next