| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alkaline water
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:10 am 
Impressive boner

I've started working with a new personal trainer, chosen because I can see he gets results. I had a assessment session with him last Thursday where we discussed my goals and he checked my posture for potential problems. I was pleased to hear that I'm very strong!

There are a couple of parts of his approach that I'm skeptical about. He's asked me to stick to a veganized version of the paleo diet and is promoting the use of alkaline water. The food doesn't really seem to be much of an issue as I don't see how cutting out refined grains and sugars and adding more raw and whole foods can hurt me, but I'm in two minds over alkaline water. I'm struggling to find resources on it aside from companies selling their magical cure-all akalizing products.

The few unbiased articles I've found indicate that it's a bit of a hoax and that you can't change your blood pH without getting pretty sick. It looks like more research needs to be done in this area before there are any conclusive studies and I don't want to make major changes without being fully aware of the potential implications. I can't easily consult a doctor about it as our general practitioners don't normally specialize in any particular field. I don't anticipate them referring me to a dietitian without a more serious issue.

I'm sticking with my regular mix of bottled and tap water, but wondered if anyone here has any good or bad experience with alkaline water or foods?

Post subject: Re: Alkaline water
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:14 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Is he profiting from selling alkaline water? Is he selling the filters?

The lady who lived upstairs at our old place and though she almost convinced my boyfriend to buy a filter, I declared quackery.

Brendan Brazier is all about alkaline foods, and he seems to be a little bit less crazed, if you maybe want to check out his Thrive books.

Me, I just drink tap water and eat good food.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:29 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

If he's pushing an "alkaline" diet (alkaline water, raw foods, whatever), I'd ignore his diet advice.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:43 pm 
Dead by dawn

There was a previous thread about this awhile back which might be informative (hint: there's a link to Quackwatch.) http://www.forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=755&hilit=alkaline

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

It's bullshiitake. If consuming alkaline foods is so good for you, it would be cheaper to just mix baking soda with water and drink it. Which some crazy people actually do - (http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/how-to- ... king-water).

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:32 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

the water i drink is actually high in bicarbonate. it feels awesome on my skin and it tastes great- which (along with relative lack of calcium) is why i drink it, not because of any acid/alkaline silliness.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:11 pm 
Impressive boner

Thanks for the link. It's interesting that a poster on that thread noted that acidity/alkalinity is only really linked to the pH of urine.

He's not selling any alkaline products (nor any other food or drink products) but has mentioned drinking bicarb in water, which I haven't done.

I'll stick to my regular water sources!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

yeah its bunk
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4139
http://www.skepticblog.org/2009/01/05/water-snakeoil/
http://www.aces.edu/waterquality/articl ... MS3-HD.pdf

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:45 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Yeah, that alkaline water mess never made sense to me, since those alkaline diet people tout the alkalizing benefits of lemons... LEMONS! You alkaline people KNOW lemons are acidic, right?

*sigh*

Anyway, as long as the water is clean and safe to drink, you're fine.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

chaioli wrote:
Yeah, that alkaline water mess never made sense to me, since those alkaline diet people tout the alkalizing benefits of lemons... LEMONS! You alkaline people KNOW lemons are acidic, right?

Turns out eating a lot of citrus increases the pH of your urine, making it more alkaline. So they know what they're talking about, even if it is kind of pointless.

So what I'm saying is that if you want alkaline water, you should eat a lot of lemons and then drink your own urine.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:13 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Your stomach is filled with constantly replenishing acid with a working pH range of 1.5 to 3.5. Alkaline water won't stand a chance. Even if it you do consistently change your body's pH, you're body is cleverer than you and will constantly compensate by making more stomach acid, the same way it makes you hungry when you have not eaten and it summons up a fever to kill off invaders when its in danger. Unless you have unusually high stomach acid (you'd know because of the constant burning sensation up your throat) and need short-term relief for it, of course.

My suggestion: try it, if it tastes nice and isn't overly expensive, or you notice immediate health benefits, keep doing so. If you don't enjoy it and you don't think it's benefiting you, don't drink it any more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:26 am 
Tofu Pup

vijita wrote:
Is he profiting from selling alkaline water? Is he selling the filters?

The lady who lived upstairs at our old place and though she almost convinced my boyfriend to buy a filter, I declared quackery.

Brendan Brazier is all about alkaline foods, and he seems to be a little bit less crazed, if you maybe want to check out his Thrive books.

Me, I just drink tap water and eat good food.

Can i ask that what combination of alkaline food you shall use and what actually is good food to you?