| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hypnotism?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I started seeing this therapist about my so called "imaginary digestive issues" (thanks gastroenterologist) and for my emetophobia, which is made worse by the stomach issues. What I've learned so far is that I've done most of the therapy with myself already (a counselor in therapy is sort of the opposite of the blind leading the blind), specifically the behavior piece. Also, she doesn't think my digestive issues are imaginary or stress related, because they do things like wake me up at night, and come on at random. Soooooo she thinks I can benefit from hypnosis, and, conveniently, is certified in hypnosis! Funny how that works. I don't fully understand it, but something about reprogramming how my brain reacts to how my stomach behaves to stop me from getting anxious when it gets angry, and giving my brain some control over my stomach. I don't know. I have no better ideas though, and so I figured I don't have much to lose. At least she hasn't told me that I need to eat meat (naturopath told me that). She promises she won't make me cluck like a chicken.

Has anyone ever been hypnotized? For what? If was for anything other than fun, was it helpful?

Post subject: Re: Hypnotism?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:55 am 
Saggy Butt

On a whim I got some hypnosis cd's from this well known lady (at the time, I don't remember her name now). I laid down, went through the steps, and when she said "You are not in a deep state of hypnotism" I was like "Well... That was a bust"...

... Then I couldn't open my eyes...

Or move my arms... It was REALLY weird. So I went through the whole session. After I was done freaking out, it was kinda nice.

So, now I'm afraid it will never work again because of how bad it freaked me out last time... I guess I am kind of a control freak afterall...

However, it did kind of make me a believer that there IS something to it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:24 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

i've never been hypnotized but i would, if given the opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:42 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I have been, or atleast I have tried several times with my previous psychologist, but I don't think I'm a candidate. No matter what I did, I never felt hypnotized.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I know a couple of people who have learned hypnosis for use with therapy patients, and one of them has done this with me several times. It's very relaxing, and if you're good at visualization and just go with it, you can resolve a lot of psychological issues as well as bodily pain this way. I recommend it, although maybe not for everyone. Anyway, I'd try it. If it's nothing for you, you will know.

ETA: I wouldn't let just anyone hypnotize me, either. It needs to be someone I trust.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:00 am 
Seagull of the PPK

My grandmother smoked 4 packs of cigarettes minimum per day for over 60 years, did hypnosis, and quit cold turkey. For realz. But she also is a stubborn SOB (that's where i get it from) and she had good motivation to quit (i wouldn't let her see my babies if she didn't).

I would try it, what have you got to lose? I suppose the worst that could happen is another Manchurian Candidate.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I figured worse case scenario, I'm out a few co-pays. Best case scenario? I can eat normally again! We'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

I should see one for my inability to NOT eat everything in front of me... Seriously, that's why I don't buy cookies and stuff... I will seriously get up and eat the whole package in one night. I'm horrible.