| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I suddenly hate coffee?!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've drank coffee for years, and I've always loved the stuff. Then, suddenly, the smell of it makes me sick and the taste...I can get about two sips down before I'm pretty sure I will be sick. I'm okay with hot tea though. Ooh, also, dark beer suddenly gives me about the same reaction, with the added bonus of making me feel like I'm dying the next day if I'm dumb enough to try one and then not want to waste it.

I want to go ahead and say, I'm female and there is 0% chance that I was pregnant when this started. I had to have an unrelated medical test shortly after the onset and there is no pregnancy!

I'm asking here because I would feel silly going to the doctor with such a seemingly silly problem, but the strong physical reaction is what freaks me out a little. Also, I miss coffee.

Post subject: Re: I suddenly hate coffee?!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I go through phases where I find coffee unappetizing. I just don't' drink it until I feel like it again. There is always tea, as you noted. I don't think that it means anything in my case.
Has anything else changed? If not and you feel otherwise OK, I wouldn't worry about it but always contact your doctor if you feel that you should or want to be assured that there is nothing wrong. That's their job.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:46 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I went through this too! For no reason. So I just no longer drink coffee. Sometimes it smells good and I try it, but it makes me feel insane (weird because I used to drink coffee at night with no caffeine buzz). Welcome to tea-drinkers-only land!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:38 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I love coffee and I've had phases like that too.

I was still convinced you were pregnant until I read further down though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:35 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Let me ask provocatively: Why is this a problem for you? Coffee is not exactly health food. I mean, it's not like it'll kill you if you drink a cup a day, but if you don't like it why would you want to still drink it? It's an acquired taste too, not liking it is the default in humans, and not a sign of something being wrong (except maybe the coffee itself).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:41 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I definitely had a stretch of not liking coffee, and because I watch House, I was like, this must MEAN SOMETHING! But nothing else was different, no symptoms or health concerns, and I started wanting it again. Although, I'm drinking a cup right now and not liking it...

Anyway, I hope that it's just a random thing for you and that you enjoy some delicious tea. I don't like giving medical advice, but if you don't have any other symptoms, I think you're ok?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It makes me feel better that you guys have phases, it seemed like such an odd thing. I have a doctor's appointment for something seemingly unrelated Monday, so I'm going to bring it up then. I've had enough other odd things going on that I can't help but to wonder if most of it is in fact related-I don't see where the coffee would fit in, but I guess I'll see.

danny, your response made me laugh, because it SEEMS so logical, but I guess it's just something that I've loved for years and so I miss it. It's the same thing with dark beers; I don't need them, and I'm perfectly fine with just walking away. It's just that the beer and coffee aversion started at the same time and a single dark beer can make me feel like I had an all night party the next day while not dark beer doesn't bother me. I'm curious about the connection or if it's just coincidence. But yeah, for the coffee, it's almost like missing an old friend who changed overnight. It takes a while to get over the shock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:19 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

maybe you're getting a cold or something so your taste buds are off?

i kind of wish my body would stop loving coffee...

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:37 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Im sorry to hear that...as that would be devastating news if it happened to me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:42 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have the same thing about toast sometimes. Sometimes I can eat it, sometimes it makes me throw up.

- just mumbles

Twitter: TheSpinachGirl
Blog:Spinach Girl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

I had the same experience. My repulsion toward coffee began after I was pretty seriously ill and lasted about a year and a half. I just became a tea drinker (and happily remain a tea drinker). I can now drink coffee once in a while, but the caffeine affects me pretty noticeably.

I still stick with tea for the morning, because I don't want to get dependent on that a.m. caffeine buzz again. I was hooked on coffee for years, and I'm happy to not *need* it now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:52 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

A similar thing happened to me--I didn't stop liking the taste, but about 6 months ago, all of a sudden coffee started making me feel really nauseous. I didn't get sick or pregnant or anything. I have no idea why it happened.

Now I drink tea. Every once in a while I have a decaf latte style thing, and that doesn't bother my stomach, but regular coffee still does. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:10 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

ndpittman wrote:
I definitely had a stretch of not liking coffee, and because I watch House, I was like, this must MEAN SOMETHING! But nothing else was different, no symptoms or health concerns, and I started wanting it again. Although, I'm drinking a cup right now and not liking it...

Could be Lupus, though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:36 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I've had that happen, too, and I totally thought I was pregnant as well. (Wasn't. Whew!) Same with beer. Went away after a week or so. I think our bodies just go through phases of wanting and craving different things.
Danny, I get what you're saying, but coffee makes me feel good, and I associate it with positive things, like social outings, so I wouldn't be devastated if I couldn't have it anymore, but it's something I like.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:09 am 

jerusha wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Could be Lupus, though.

It's never Lupus.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:09 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

ndpittman wrote:
jerusha wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Could be Lupus, though.

It's never Lupus.

Ha!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:14 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
jerusha wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

Could be Lupus, though.

It's never Lupus.

No, it's never sarcoidosis.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Could be Lupus, though.

It's never Lupus.[/quote]
No, it's never sarcoidosis.[/quote]

I appreciate the levity...but bad timing (well, for me). I didn't bring up my bizarre aversion to coffee at my doctor appointment, mostly because I forgot since I was more concerned with the other things that were going on (increasingly bad migraines, crippling exhaustion, painful joints). She did a battery of blood tests and ordered an MRI on my head (which got a big, fat denied by insurance). And yesterday I got the news that I need a follow up on my lab work...to rule out lupus. So, I hope that it really is never lupus.

Not that I think that has to do with coffee...other than I would appreciate the energy boost.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:20 am 

Holy cow, bekki! I, too, really hope it's never lupus. Or at least in your case. There was one case of lupus on House (the magician). I'm so sorry you're having such bad health issues, hopefully you can be diagnosed and on the road to recovery soon. Many hugs!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:15 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Wait . . . your insurance companies are allowed to deny tests that your doctor thinks are medical necessary? This is horrifying.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FlowersInYourHair wrote:
Wait . . . your insurance companies are allowed to deny tests that your doctor thinks are medical necessary? This is horrifying.

lol welcome to America!! Since my follow up appointment is for Monday morning, I'm going to talk to her and see if it's worth it to press the issue. Sometimes claims (or in this case, pre-authorizations) are flat out denied because they're really not necessary, but more often I think you just have to appeal, send more info, and then get it approved. I think the deal is they figure most people will just accept their fate and move on without fighting it, so it's worth a try. This doesn't make sense to me, because it has to be expensive to deal with appeals, both by driving up doctor's office overhead AND by having to pay insurance employees. I think if my doc truly thinks i need the MRI (in light of my abnormal blood results I'm not sure) she will somehow make it happen.

I'm not one to defend our forked up health care system, BUT I think things have gotten out of hand on both sides (test happy docs AND deny happy insurance.) We just need reforms all around so that there is less abuse and better overall health care...right now costs are through the roof and the overall quality of health care is not on par with the price tag.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:42 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

To be honest, most private MRIs in Australia are paid for by the patient - i.e. those done in the community. I think our insurance is a bit more open about what they will and won't pay for, and if you need to, there is always the public system for most things. Also, dental care is completely privatised, apart from some government clinics. Even with high level private insurance, I pay out-of-pocket amounts for most things.

I'm just glad that I live and work here. For medical care, that is.

I hope they sort out your health issues and that your doctor pushes for it a bit more if you need it. Good luck on Monday.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

oh bekki, I just made fun of ndpittman for her House comment! I have no idea what lupus is really. But I sincerely hope you dont have it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jerusha wrote:
oh bekki, I just made fun of ndpittman for her House comment! I have no idea what lupus is really. But I sincerely hope you dont have it!

It's okay. It was really kind of funny...I got the message (well, letter) from my doctor saying my initial labwork was positive for antinuclear antibodies, something that suggests lupus is a possibility, but isn't sufficient to diagnose it. On the plus side, I was negative for rheumatoid arthritis and another potential lupus marker.

Anyway, I get that letter, look around on the internet for a bit and decide to check PPK, since I tend to find good info (or at least where else to look for it) here about everything else. So...I searched for lupus and up came THIS thread, first thing. After reading through, I wasn't being sarcastic, I really did appreciate the humor. That's how I deal with things, anyway, and it was just funny and kind of ironic the lupus joke got made here.

Really, though, it's okay. I'm not stressed about it anymore. Lupus is bad, but it's usually managable. And to be perfectly honest, at this point, I would welcome some sort of diagnosis more than everything coming back okay and still having no answers. I've felt so exhausted and tired for so long that having something to go on would be nice because that would mean I could start treatment of some sort.

I should (hopefully) get my second round of blood work back next week. Oh, and my mom is actually going through the same battery of tests and should get something back Friday, so maybe I'll get a clue then, although her doc is leaning toward fibromyalgia...which I'm pretty sure I don't have.

I did find this while looking for info:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bueW1i9kQao

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:00 am 

Aw, bekki, I really hope you get some answers. I'm so glad that it isn't rheumatoid arthritis, and I really hope it's something that's treatable or highly manageable. I thought about you Monday night when I was watching the season premiere of House. It wasn't Lupus, but it was the first diagnosis.

You're in my thoughts, and I hope you don't think I'm making light of your situation. I deal with serious stuff through mockery, but I know not everyone does. Many hugs and much love to you and your mom.