| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ovarian Cysts?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:28 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I think I might have one...to top off my forked up year of the worst health imaginable.

Generally it's sort of an ache similar to period pains but today it was so sharp I could barely breathe and was getting woozy. It had abated for the most part once I finished work so I just came home rather than going to the doctor.

Anyone had them? What were your symptoms like? How did you treat them?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post subject: Re: Ovarian Cysts?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

this is a super unhelpful comment, but my mom juice-fasted hers away in the 70s. do not recommend.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh crepe. Those hurt. They almost always go away on their own, so they don't usually treat them unless they are persistent.

When I had some persist, they did an ultrasound, saw they weren't that big and just told me to,wait them out. They did go away after 4-5 months. Every year or so, I get some of those symptoms for a month or two, then it clears up. I don't know if it's always cyst pain, but it feels like it.

I'd recommend heating pad and pain killers. I've had good luck with evening primrose oil when I remember to take them regularly. I don't know if there are reasons taking that might be bad, but it's something that may help.

Tl;dr I wouldn't worry unless it stays really bad because it will probably clear up before you'd get appointments and ultrasounds developed anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:46 pm 
Chip Strong

If there's any chance you could be pregnant, you might want to go get checked out to make sure it's not an ectopic pregnancy. I hope you feel better soon!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:09 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

lavawitch wrote:
I'd recommend heating pad and pain killers. I've had good luck with evening primrose oil when I remember to take them regularly. I don't know if there are reasons taking that might be bad, but it's something that may help.

it's rich in omega 6's, so make sure to also take omega 3's so you don't throw off your ratios.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It might be something you want to check out, especially if you're on hormonal birth control (since that's prescribed to shrink cysts). I had one that I didn't do anything about (lost my health insurance, then forgot about it) and it ended up growing around my ovary and fallopian tube. It was the size of a grapefruit when I had emergency surgery to remove it. Yours is probably not that bad, but you'll definitely want to monitor it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

rachell37 wrote:
It might be something you want to check out, especially if you're on hormonal birth control (since that's prescribed to shrink cysts). I had one that I didn't do anything about (lost my health insurance, then forgot about it) and it ended up growing around my ovary and fallopian tube. It was the size of a grapefruit when I had emergency surgery to remove it. Yours is probably not that bad, but you'll definitely want to monitor it.

Yikes!

If it gets really bad again I'll go to the walk-in, otherwise I'll bring it up the next time I see my doc.

And no, no way I'm prego right now.

Thanks, everybody.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:50 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

A friend of mine just had one removed today actually. She went to urgent care with terrible pain thinking it was an appendicitis. Turns out it was a 6cm ovarian cyst. Hopefully yours goes away, but don't let it go too long just in case.