| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Multivitamins
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:16 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have been having some significant anxiety problems and they have been seriously messing with this new relationship I'm trying to have with a wonderful man. It was suggested to me that the swings may be diet related so I bought a vegan multivitamin. Things have been really really good but I'm wondering...since the vegan multi has waaaay over 100% of the dv of almost all of the vitamins, would I be safe taking it once a week? This would also be appealing for the fact that it would save me money if I didn't have to take one every single day. I don't know how vitamins are absorbed though...and maybe one of you do? :)

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

Post subject: Re: Vegan Multivitamins
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:36 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

sarahnorine wrote:
I have been having some significant anxiety problems and they have been seriously messing with this new relationship I'm trying to have with a wonderful man. It was suggested to me that the swings may be diet related

I seriously doubt, or just plain don't believe that "significant anxiety" is something that can be "cured" by vitamins.

About multi-vitamins: with a good diet one should be able to get all the vitamins one needs, but it could be good to sometimes take additional vitamins. I don't think you need to supplement with a multi-vitamin every day, and a tablet every few days would probably be enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:22 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Veg_Eric wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:
I have been having some significant anxiety problems and they have been seriously messing with this new relationship I'm trying to have with a wonderful man. It was suggested to me that the swings may be diet related

I seriously doubt, or just plain don't believe that "significant anxiety" is something that can be "cured" by vitamins.

About multi-vitamins: with a good diet one should be able to get all the vitamins one needs, but it could be good to sometimes take additional vitamins. I don't think you need to supplement with a multi-vitamin every day, and a tablet every few days would probably be enough.

Thanks! Yeah I'm not an expert so I honestly didn't even begin to contemplate whether or not my issues may or may not have been diet related-it was just suggested to me! I feel a lot better, that's all I know.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:33 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Sorry you're struggling. One thing that really has helped my anxiety (everyone is different) is taking a high-potency B complex vitamin. As I understand it (I'm no doctor!) when you are stressed/worried/anxious, the B vitamins are the first to be depleted. Though I eat a well-rounded vegan diet and foods fortified with vitamins such as B12, I still believe in supplementing with vitamins simply because it has helped me (and the B-Complex vitamins aren't that expensive). I also take a vegan omega-3 supplement (this one: http://www.devanutrition.com/vegan_DHA.html) which I think helps. I know it costs money to supplement, but in the long run I believe it is worth it, especially if you're already noticing a difference! If you had asked me this three months ago I'd have probably rolled my eyes at taking supplements (I hate spending money on anything that could conceivably be non-essential), but after a few months of feeling much, much better in many ways, I'm going to keep up the supplementing.

Exercise can be free and I also find that helps immensely. Good luck! Remember that if things get worse again, you should see a doctor.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

I am with vijita on the B-vitamin thing. I noticed a big difference when I started taking them. And on a side note, I stopped needing my Allegra allergy medicine when I upped my vitamin C. They really can make a difference!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Better resources for meeting vitamin/mineral needs on a vegan diet: jacknorrisrd.com and theveganrd.com (Ginny Messina).

Some people do find that paying special attention particularly to Vitamin D, Omega-3s and B-12 is important for depression and anxiety, but I'd say if you are really struggling with anxiety you should see a doctor first about it.

Multivitamins are intended to be taken once a day, not once a week. Don't worry about them containing 100%+ of the vitamins and minerals, it's usually not an issue and they can be good insurance if your diet is a little off-kilter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:21 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Personally...I take my multi pretty much every day on weekdays. Then additional iron and calcium on alternating days. I take a liquid B complex almost every morning. My multi are the kind that are almost 100% food based. I always forget on weekends.

I am anemic (always have been) so the iron is important.

Like others said, I noticed that the B complex really helped my anexity issues! I am not by any means a doctor, but I feel much better when I am taking vitimins, especially the B's. When I run out, or if I am travelling for business and forget them, I feel a bit meh. Perhaps it is just a placebo effect, but whatever. it seems to work for me!

I do get blood work done annually as well, and the doctor is always super impressed with my health and results. Also, I very rarely get sick. When think I might be getting ill, I make sure to take lots of zinc and B and C and it usually goes away before i really get sick. In fact, I have not been sick from a cold or flu in over a year. Not sure if this is my diet, vitimans, or combo of both. I do travel a lot....and my partner gets sick all the damn time too.

I am scared now I just jinxed myself and will catch a cold immediately.