| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Intuitive Eating
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Nice thread! (I am mainly posting here so I can keep track of it more easily...)

I guess I am sort of a natural intuitive eater. I was lucky that my mom raised me on mostly healthy foods, but without making certain items 'off limits'. I could have some chocolate and potato chips if I wanted to, but mostly snacked on raw fruit and veggies.

I do find that I benefit from having two or three more or less fixed meal-times. I usually have a small breakfast between 8 and 9, always try to have lunch around 1, and then dinner between 5 and 7 depending on when I finish work and get home. If I skip these meals, I'll feel hungry and snacky all day and often end up eating more junk foods than I really like. So, I have my meals and then usually 3-5 small easy snacks throughout the day. I often also eat small amounts of leftovers for snacks.

@rentaghost: if you're not used to cooking, but do crave 'proper' cooked food, maybe you can try making a big batch of hearty soup or a bean/grain salad once or twice a week, so you have those in the fridge and can take some out whenever you feel hungry or think it's time to have a meal. There are some great easy recipes for that type of stuff in Isa's Appetite for Reduction (it's a low-calorie book, but if you add a little extra oil and/or eat slightly larger servings, it's great for normal weekday meals).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:50 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've been too busy to cook this week, and as a result I think I'm eating more intuitively and healthier. I've just been making a batch of bread each day, so my boyfriend and I have been splitting a fresh loaf of bread and some hummus daily, along with a bunch of fruit and cut vegetables to dip in hummus. This has resulted in much produce and no junk food being eaten, and no real meals though, just eating a bit all day. Its a nice change.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Bumping this thread because intuitive eating and my compulsive overeating disorder are things I'm exploring and addressing right now.

I've been getting a lot of info online through Karen Koenig's articles and blog. I'm also considering buying Intuitive Eating, and or one of Karen Koenig's books.

Right now I'm just focusing on putting weight loss out of my mind and approaching this from a mental health perspective. I'm focusing on not using food to numb out my unpleasant feelings, eating to support good health and taste, while asking myself why I want to eat when I'm not hungry etc. So far so good. I've had a few good mental health days as a result.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:40 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

That's great Jean! I bought Intuitive Eating on my kindle after checking it out of the library and finding it super helpful.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:42 am 
Ninja Master

That reminds me, I haven't started reading that book yet. I will start reading it when I get home tomorrow!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:00 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

That's awesome, Jean! Another book I've really liked (i have it as an audio book) is Geneen Roth's bite by bite. Its been a while, but if I'm remembering correctly, it focuses a lot on intuitive eating and healing from emotional eating.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:25 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I was doing so well with IE, but I went through this weird health thing a few months ago where I was hungry literally all the time. I was hungry while I was eating, I was hungry 5 minutes after eating a huge meal. I couldn't get satisfied. Then I was going through a really difficult emotional time at the same time. So, in short, my hunger/fullness cues got pretty screwed up for awhile and it's been hard for me to fully transition back to IE. I still don't eat until I'm stuffed or to the point of sickness, but I do have more trouble stopping right when I know I'm satisfied and eat until I'm full more often than I used to.

I think I might need to re-read IE to get myself back in the mindset. I think maybe there's a part of me that still isn't convinced I'm fully better and is afraid I'll return back to being hungry all the time?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:58 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've put Intuitive Eating on hold at the library - I should have it by the end of the week. Thank you for the endorsement lobsteriffic.

lilianp, I did read a few Geneen Roth books back in the 90s, bite by bite is not one I recall, I'll have a look for it, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:00 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

baps wrote:
That reminds me, I haven't started reading that book yet. I will start reading it when I get home tomorrow!

Company! Fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:57 pm 

This morning I was eating brunch at a restaurant and I was only about two thirds done my meal, but I recognized that I was full and not really enjoying eating and I was able to stop eating and leave the food.

"Wasting food" is really, really difficult for me (I was catching a flight later and not able to take leftovers home). But yay, I did it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

One thing that really helped me to reframe my thinking on 'wasting' food was something Paul McKenna says, it's something along the lines of 'do you want to waste it in the bin or waste it in your body - either way it is gone, why use your body as a bin'. Obviously if you can keep any leftovers it's much better but that is not always possible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:40 am 

I like that, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:13 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I find that I don't really waste anymore food now than I used to. I used to try to eat as much on my plate as possible, usually leaving just a a small amount of food left on my plate, which would just get thrown out. Now I don't don't even eat half of restaurant sized portions, and often take the rest to go and eat it all later. Occasionally it's disappointing if I can't wrap something up for later, but that rarely happens. I always find a way!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:11 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yesterday I was stuck in the doctor's for more than two hours - some triggering things happened there. Afterwards I had to go the pharmacy and then grocery shopping. I was late home and rushed to feed the kitties, change litter pans, make my husband's lunch for tomorrow and get dinner going and had no time to process my feeling before husband came home from work. So of course I gobbled my dinner and as soon as I was done I was back in the kitchen looking for anything else to stick in my food hole. Later in bed I ate a chocolate bar. I'm not beating myself up for it, but despite being aware of why I was stuffing things down with food, I was powerless to stop it.

This is why I'm so interested in intuitive eating. This is my third time in twenty years being obese. Trauma or long periods of stress happen and I cope by overeating. Life gets better I endeavour through calorie counting and exercise to lose the weight, I keep it off for a few years and then something happens and it starts all over again. I am overweight now as a result of eating my way through poor health, stress and grief and I want to stop this pattern. I did go to OA for a number of years, while I don't agree with a lot of what 12 step programs offer, I did learn, for a time, to sit with my feelings instead of stuffing them down with food. It works as long as the problems in my life are not too terrible.

Anyway the library finally has a copy of Intuitive Eating for me to pick up, so I'll be down there to get it once the library opens. Hoping it offers some useful advice and tools.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:44 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I wanted to share. I have been practicing IE for a few years now. I had a bit of an ah-ha moment the other day about how far I've come from eating disordered thinking. I was out with my sister where I ordered a fancy sweetened iced tea and I was remarking how much I love it. And she said, "You're all about beverages lately!" And I was like, "Huh?" And she said, "Yeah, like at the burrito place you were all excited about getting your favorite soda last week too!" And I realized how differently I now look at food as a result of IE. I very rarely drink soda. But if I want it I get it. I used to never ever drink anything that contained calories, considering it a waste of calories. But now if I want iced tea or orange soda because I am craving it, I get it, because it tastes nice sometimes. And I often just drink some and don't even finish it. This is 180 degrees from where I was before. Calories in liquid were "bad" and so I never would drink any calories. That's crazy! So grateful I found IE! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:21 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

erynne, I had such a similar experience with beverages! I would only drink black tea or water for years because I was so afraid of calories. Now I've allowed myself to rediscover my love of iced coffee (with lots of milk!), and it has become such an enjoyable thing for me in the mornings.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:36 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I just started reading Health at Every Size thinking that it would be a lot of the same stuff that I learned in Intuitive Eating, but holy shiitake this is another life changer.

For example, apparently our brains actually make us more lazy when dieting because it's trying to conserve calories. It makes so much sense! I always had trouble finding the drive to exercise when dieting, but since I stopped restricting calories earlier this year I have had an amazing amount of motivation and have been running or practicing yoga almost every single day. I guess that's what happens when your mind is actually encouraging you to be active, instead of sending every message it can to sabotage your plan to go on a run.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ooooh, i'll have to check that book out, Nebraskalaska. i've been doing really well with IE lately and it's been oh-so helpful. the dieting and exercise makes perfect sense, and i've noticed the same thing - ever since i stopped restricting and started IE i've had soooo much more energy and motivation. woooooohoooo!

also, erynne & ashley - same here! i have a Blue Sky when i have a craving and i totally have coffee with almond milk and soy creamer in the morning (lots of both!). yay for intuitive eating and progress!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:03 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I just find it liberating to not give a shiitake about calories anymore. I used to count everything, down to gum and breath mints. It was such a waste of time. I stopped counting and my weight has not changed at all. I'm still in the same 2-3 pound range I was in before. I feel like I'm eating a lot more now and not exercising more (less, if anything), so it's a mystery, but I'll take it.