| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Migraine Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the mistake of eating both soy & gluten, a friend loves this vegan place that does yum cha so I took her for her b'day on Tuesday, within an hour I had a headache, by the evening my face was aching and last night it turned into a full on migraine, my head was pulsing so I went and lay down in the dark.

I've woken up with a dull headache and I have to go deliver urgent documents today so I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse. Forketty fork fork.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Ugh! I'm sorry!! :( I've been migraine-y all day and nothing helps for more than 10-20 minutes a ta time.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:22 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have found that nutritional yeast is a huge trigger for my migraines.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:33 pm 

julie wrote:
I have found that nutritional yeast is a huge trigger for my migraines.

that is sad! it is extra sad because i had mac and trees yesterday and today.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:20 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Kitteh wrote:
I made the mistake of eating both soy & gluten, a friend loves this vegan place that does yum cha so I took her for her b'day on Tuesday, within an hour I had a headache, by the evening my face was aching and last night it turned into a full on migraine, my head was pulsing so I went and lay down in the dark.

I've woken up with a dull headache and I have to go deliver urgent documents today so I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse. Forketty fork fork.

I am pretty sure I have been to the vegan yum cha place in Sydney - although being a hearty and highly immunized backpacker [read- on the verge of disgustingly un-hygenic], it did not cause me distress at the time.

That said, what an atrocious sounding migraine kitteh, I hope you feel better & are able to take care of your work projects.

I ate a boatload of refined carbs and sugar yesterday (oatmeal, tater tots, peanut butter, chocolate, pasta). I am one day before my period. My head - she is a'poundin. Not a full-on migraine but closer than I can recall in recent memory. Better care with food choices around this time of the month would probably serve me well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

appifanie wrote:
Ugh! I'm sorry!! :( I've been migraine-y all day and nothing helps for more than 10-20 minutes a ta time.

Thanks, Appi, I took ibuprofen before heading out but the dull head/face ache has returned.

silverlining wrote:
I am pretty sure I have been to the vegan yum cha place in Sydney - although being a hearty and highly immunized backpacker [read- on the verge of disgustingly un-hygenic], it did not cause me distress at the time.

I ate a boatload of refined carbs and sugar yesterday (oatmeal, tater tots, peanut butter, chocolate, pasta). I am one day before my period. My head - she is a'poundin. Not a full-on migraine but closer than I can recall in recent memory. Better care with food choices around this time of the month would probably serve me well.

Thanks, silverlining. It's (Bodhi) a great place to eat and I love that my non-vegan friend always wants to go but I won't be able eat there anymore :( I hope you feel better soon, I know I feel worse during my period if I've eaten lots of junky food in the days leading up to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

this is my first migraine in 6+ months. i'm on ibuprofen and paracetamol and i feel like crepe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:16 pm 

I'm sorry smoothie :( I hope you're feeling better!! <3

I'm researching on migraines + white flour.

This has some really interesting home remedies - not sure if any of them work - http://www.health-qna.com/what-are-the- ... -headaches

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:21 am 
Huffs Nooch

ok, as a long time chronic migraine sufferer (5X a week now I'm on meds so I get them 2-3 times a week) I've tried just about everythng. I read that article and most of it sounds pretty meh at best. The Niacin thing might work just because niacin is a B vitamin and some people get constant chronic migraines get relief from taking a B vitamin regularly (not just niacin though). The cabbage and lemon thing was probably more due to have a compress on a pressure point and due to having something cold on your head. I've done a fast in the past as well (I've done the master cleanse) and while it does help, it's pretty much one of the most torturous things migraine wise the entire time. It triggers a migraine like no ones business and it's horrible. My migraines are triggered by pretty much everything and when my blood sugar gets low, forget about it. When the cleanse was over, I did feel better.

With that said, I still take a handful of meds everyday for my migraines and it doesn't help that much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:57 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

WELL HELLO

I don't feel entiiiirely welcome here, but you're as close to 'my people' as I'm likely to find. boring story even more boring: I don't get migraines, but I've had a constant headache since March 2003. every morning, every evening, during every run, during every meeting, during every commute. but what can you do?

I spent the first couple of years never far away from a packet of pills (I'd buy them by the 100 and get through them pretty swiftly). but it's taken me more than a year to finish my last bottle of 24 ibuprofen tablets - not that it's easing, I'm just more conscious about it and (constantly) learning better ways of managing it.

I've tried many things, and endured a whole lot of change since that point with little/no impact on the ache, so I've kind of lost a lot of hope in finding a remedy.

well, that's all. just wanted to say my piece in the hopes that someone might have some magical solution. back to your regularly scheduled migraine chatter now :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i have a headache and i am totally paranoid about getting a migraine again.
hormonal BC have always been what triggered mine (along with salty licorice. when i eat that.. forget about it. and i LOVE licorice like most people love chocolate or icecream. ugh)

i've been off the BC for about a year with ONE migraine since.
i started taking BC pills again last month. already had a migraine.

seriously, what am i to do with this? i don't want to get pregnant, and the BC pills really help my skin and my mood.
but on the other hand, i REALLY don't want to start getting migraines again. right now i feel like whatever i choose, it's bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:07 pm 
Huffs Nooch

smoothie wrote:
seriously, what am i to do with this? i don't want to get pregnant, and the BC pills really help my skin and my mood.
but on the other hand, i REALLY don't want to start getting migraines again. right now i feel like whatever i choose, it's bad.

There are other pills and forms of BC you know. Perhaps it's time for a switch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

i heard today something that has been really effective for a few people (not sure if it was mentioned already in this thread?) a 15-minute shower, alternating between as warm/hot and as cold/cool as you are comfortable with. you can even just sit in the shower and let it run on your body, not necessarily your head if that's not do-able at the time. apparently these people were having migraines resolved between 10-30 minutes post shower.

of course, like anything, it won't work for anyone, but the people who had tried it were quite surprised by the results. best wishes and love to all of you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:26 pm 

chimrichalds wrote:
i heard today something that has been really effective for a few people (not sure if it was mentioned already in this thread?) a 15-minute shower, alternating between as warm/hot and as cold/cool as you are comfortable with. you can even just sit in the shower and let it run on your body, not necessarily your head if that's not do-able at the time. apparently these people were having migraines resolved between 10-30 minutes post shower.

of course, like anything, it won't work for anyone, but the people who had tried it were quite surprised by the results. best wishes and love to all of you!

sometimes i take really hot showers and I bend my head left and right to stretch my neck and I let the water hit my neck. then, after, if i can lay perfectly still on my bed for 15 minutes or so, it gets better.

i'm getting one now - migraine, neck pain, jaw pain, mixing up letters, vision a lil blurry. i'm going to bed super soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:32 pm 
Saggy Butt

smoothie wrote:

Which type of pills do you take? I took the combined estrogen ones for years, with lots of migraines. Once I switched to the progestin-only pills (sometimes called the mini pill), I only have them if I drink too much alcohol, or don't stay hydrated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'm taking the combined ones.. if i get another migraine, before february, i will definitely try to switch. definitely!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:06 am 
Huffs Nooch

appifanie wrote:
chimrichalds wrote:

sometimes i take really hot showers and I bend my head left and right to stretch my neck and I let the water hit my neck. then, after, if i can lay perfectly still on my bed for 15 minutes or so, it gets better.

All of this stuff (hot shower stuff) sounds like its relieving tension headaches more than migraines. Migraines generally do not respond well to heat (in fact they respond better to ice due to the vasoconstriction) so if heat and stretching helps people it sounds like they may actually have tension headaches.

Personally alternating between cold and hot sounds like torture.

smoothie wrote:
i'm taking the combined ones.. if i get another migraine, before february, i will definitely try to switch. definitely!

It also depends on when the migraines are happening, I remember one of my Dr's telling me a lot of women get them due to a dip in estrogen so I was put on Seasonique (which has a little bit of estrogen in the placebo pills) to keep things more level but my migraines are not hormonal (I have them almost everyday) so the pill is not for me. There are quite a few preventatives (if you have often, frequent migraines) that people have a lot of success with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:45 am 

No they definitely are migraines - I get transforming headaches - however the headache starts - tension, sinus, whatever - it becomes a migraine. And somewhere in the middle of tension and migraine, that works. Hot showers in a full blown migraine definitely equal woozy and nauseated.

I was taking topamax and it didn't do me any good (did make me dumber and tingly though!) and I quit gluten recently and that works much better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

appifanie wrote:

I was taking topamax and it didn't do me any good (did make me dumber and tingly though!) and I quit gluten recently and that works much better.

You know I have also been trying REAL hard to lay off the gluten and have found that it helps me too.

But it also makes me really sad-most of my favorite foods have gluten in them

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

julie wrote:

It also depends on when the migraines are happening, I remember one of my Dr's telling me a lot of women get them due to a dip in estrogen so I was put on Seasonique (which has a little bit of estrogen in the placebo pills) to keep things more level but my migraines are not hormonal (I have them almost everyday) so the pill is not for me. There are quite a few preventatives (if you have often, frequent migraines) that people have a lot of success with.

I tried lots of non-migraine-med things - lower estrogen pills, Seasonale (only 4 periods a year), dietary changes and nothing worked until I switched to the progestin-only pills. My neurologist wanted me to get off the pill altogether, but since I wasn't educated properly about IUDs, I thought that I didn't have another similar option and so I chose to try the POPs to see if they would help. And I went from going through a 9-pack of Maxalt almost once a month, to maybe taking 1-2 pills per month.

I really wish that someone had counseled me to try an IUD many years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:24 pm 

SuzyHB wrote:
appifanie wrote:

You know I have also been trying REAL hard to lay off the gluten and have found that it helps me too.

But it also makes me really sad-most of my favorite foods have gluten in them

I KNOW! Me too. Not just bread, but seitan and tofurky and gardein! Oh well. I imagine I'll be loads healthier in lots of ways. Also, I feel less tired and happier lately (though I have also made some life decisions that might account for the happy).

Little - I'm glad you're doing better! (knock on wood)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:28 pm 

Oh I had a migraine the day before yesterday and I'm getting one today, but I have my period and I'm not convinced the hoisin sauce I used was GF, so I tossed it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:30 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Little My wrote:

You can always switch to one. They didn't help mine but if yours are hormonally triggered, it might. At least you find relief with triptans.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

julie wrote:
Little My wrote:

You can always switch to one. They didn't help mine but if yours are hormonally triggered, it might. At least you find relief with triptans.

Yes, I am grateful that I usually, though not always, find relief with the triptans.

Mine are already mostly gone due to getting of the estrogen pills and onto the progestin ones, but I am going to call my insurance co on Monday and if they cover it, I think I'm switching altogether to a copper IUD.

I also wanted to mention that I have found relief for my migraines from the temperature switching thing, mostly when they are migraines that are not responding to traditional treatment and I've had them for a few days. It's worked both to have my feet in a really hot footbath and then to put them immediately to a basin full of ice water, and also to have the shower on really hot and then switch to cold (I stand with just my head and neck under so it's not so bad) or to have the shower really hot while simultaneously having an ice pack on my neck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:13 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

smoothie wrote:

Something tells me migrainers shouldn't be on the combined pill. From what I remember they would only put me on certain pills due to the migraines and they (family planning clinic) did it right because being on it didn't increase the migraines.

Joshua, sorry if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs (not vegan!), but have you considered medication rebound headache?

I have a bit of a roaring one tonight, no aura thankfully! It's just my monthly hormone one, piercing though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next