| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Migraine Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:42 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

fezza wrote:
smoothie wrote:
i'm taking the combined ones.. if i get another migraine, before february, i will definitely try to switch. definitely!

Something tells me migrainers shouldn't be on the combined pill. From what I remember they would only put me on certain pills due to the migraines and they (family planning clinic) did it right because being on it didn't increase the migraines.

Joshua, sorry if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs (not vegan!), but have you considered medication rebound headache?

I have a bit of a roaring one tonight, no aura thankfully! It's just my monthly hormone one, piercing though.

Migraineurs with aura shouldn't take the pill because it dramatically increases stroke risk. Sad for me because how cool is the pill?

And Joshua! I didn't see your post before - I'm sorry! There's no break at all in the headache? And I have a list of stuff I've tried on my blog, here - http://imnotstarving.blogspot.com/2010/ ... aines.html

Also, an MOH does seem possible - have you seen a doc?

I'm just sitting here with a migraine patch on my head, don't mind me. Blargh.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

From the literature I read at Planned Parenthood, I also got the impression that people with any kind of migraines shouldn't be on the combined pill, but esp. not if you get aura.

But when I went on the pill initially and over the years, I never saw that in writing until this visit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:24 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

appifanie wrote:

Migraineurs with aura shouldn't take the pill because it dramatically increases stroke risk. Sad for me because how cool is the pill?

It sucks doesn't it, I could do with taking it for my PCOS symptoms (don't have it only some of the symptoms) but having aura and being over 35, I'd be a great big stroke waiting to happen, pffftt!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:00 pm 

fezza wrote:
appifanie wrote:

It sucks doesn't it, I could do with taking it for my PCOS symptoms (don't have it only some of the symptoms) but having aura and being over 35, I'd be a great big stroke waiting to happen, pffftt!

yeah, migraines aren't better than a lot, but definitely preferable to strokes.

i have another one. stressful morning, not enough water.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:13 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Hope your day and migraine both get better!

Mine has eased a bit but it took both naramig & co-codamol to get it under control. I've been lucky and not had a bad one for a few weeks so I suppose I can't complain. They're coming back a bit now that the ortho has moved my bite out again. I'm due to get the braces off in about 4 months so hopefully they'll settle down again when I get a nice clear bite back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Well I have somehow managed to avoid gluten for two weeks and have only had one migraine.

I am not sure whether to celebrate or go into mourning.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:43 pm 

SuzyHB wrote:
Well I have somehow managed to avoid gluten for two weeks and have only had one migraine.

I am not sure whether to celebrate or go into mourning.

that is the initial feeling indeed. it gets easier, i promise. most days i don't even care too much.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:20 pm 

I got vegan valentine's chocolates! I haven't got chocolate for valentines in a REALLY LONG TIME. 5+ years. Maybe ever. And they give me a migraine.

DAMMIT. I WILL EAT THEM ANYWAY.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:38 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

appifanie wrote:
sometimes i take really hot showers and I bend my head left and right to stretch my neck and I let the water hit my neck. then, after, if i can lay perfectly still on my bed for 15 minutes or so, it gets better.

i do this every time i have a migraine. often, several times. there's a temporary relief while i'm in the shower, but often the best result is that it relaxes me enough to be able to go to sleep, which is always what i need.

for the last two months, i've had crippling pre-period migraines. double dose of unfair.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:17 pm 

calcuhater wrote:
appifanie wrote:
sometimes i take really hot showers and I bend my head left and right to stretch my neck and I let the water hit my neck. then, after, if i can lay perfectly still on my bed for 15 minutes or so, it gets better.

i do this every time i have a migraine. often, several times. there's a temporary relief while i'm in the shower, but often the best result is that it relaxes me enough to be able to go to sleep, which is always what i need.

for the last two months, i've had crippling pre-period migraines. double dose of unfair.

my best thing is if i do the shower thing, then if i can lay still and quiet on my bed for maybe 20 minutes - sometimes that does it.

also, yes - unfair :(

anyone know how long a triptan stays in your system for? as an example of my question - i took a relpax earlier because i felt a migraine coming on. if i eat some of my valentines chocolate later in the day, is that triptan still helping me not get a migraine?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:58 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've been getting headaches and migraines for the last year, and today is the worst. I'm looking into what foods trigger migraines and how to go about changing my diet to see if this helps. I tried skimming this thread but, honestly, I can only have half an eye open I'm in so much forking pain, I started crying (which, awesome, made it worse). I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do anymore. What's a good site for changing one's diet to help with migraines? I have to start somewhere...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:17 pm 

Hi Kinney!

This is the only site I've seen but it isn't remotely vegan - http://migrainefreecooking.blogspot.com/

My food triggers seem to be nuts, seeds, chocolate and gluten.

Do you keep a food log at all? If you write what you eat and how you feel that should help you figure it out. I've read that foods trigger w/in a 2 hour window, so if you get a migraine, it has to be something you've eaten w/in the last two hours. I'd say start with gluten. Sorry about that :/

http://www.amazon.com/Migraine-Brain-Br ... 125&sr=8-1 Is an amazing book - I love it. I've read it twice. Super helpful.

Myself, I've been taking excedrin again lately and using those cooling wellpatches on my forehead.

Feel better soon!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:32 pm 

Thank you for both links, I will be checking them out.

No food journal, but I guess I should start that. I've been in serious hardcore denial, just hoping they "go away". So lame, I know, but my mom has suffered from serious migraines (a few times she asked people to shoot her, which was terrifying because she is the strongest woman I've ever met) ever since I can remember and I don't even want to think about that happening to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:55 pm 

Yeah, start the journal - it is helpful. Also, that migraine book really is amazingly helpful.

Not lame! Understandable. My mom used to get them too but they quit after she went through menopause - I don't really want to wait 25 or so years though. It's sad because my current triggers didn't use to trigger me but the book says that your migraines evolve and change. Funsies.

Here's a blog post I did on migraines - http://imnotstarving.blogspot.com/2010/ ... aines.html - right now I take zomig and excedrin (the two together are MAGIC) and headache patches, and I've started wearing my mouthguard at night again because I've realized a lot of my migraines lately also involve jaw pain.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:13 pm 

Zomig is prescribed by your doc? What are headache patches?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:06 pm 

zomig is a prescription and the patches are the migraine ones by these people - http://www.wellpatch.com/index.php - if you can't find the migraine ones, there are little kid fever ones that are teh same thing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:19 pm 

I didn't even know those existed. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:28 pm 

You're welcome! They're kind of great.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:38 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I have suffered for 25 years. Pill made it worse, just realized that recently. Pregnancy took it away--for a while. All aged foods, including leftovers, can have an effect. I don't eat leftovers after 2 days. Beer-I don't even look at it. Same with chocolate and nuts together. I even have problems with some active yogurts. Too thirsty, too long between meals, artificial sweeteners, constipation, irregular use of caffeine, RASPBERRIES!!! Emotional tumult--I can obsess myself into a headache. Too much joy, too much sadness throws off the body chemicals. Too little sleep too much sleep. All of these are dangerous to me.

I have read that migraine triggers are a bit like a rainbarrel. You can add this thing and that, but at some point it is too much and you get a headache. This makes it difficult to pinpoint the triggers. Also, I find that some things trigger a headache very soon --lack of caffeine. But other misdeeds lead to a headache the next day--lack of water, food, choc with nuts or just nuts.

Moderation in all things is my mantra. I have added coenzyme Q10 and niacin to my diet with some success. Also drink powdered wheat grass. I find that Treximet is the drug of choice. I am limited to taking it twice a week. Plan B is torodol. It works okay. If I have three days of headaches in a row on the fourth day I start steriods for a few days. I only have to do this about twice a year. I used to have 15 headaches a month, but I am down to three or four now. I am very aggressive with meds (take them early) so that I nip it in the bud. I have had some success with biofeedback, deep breathing, sleeping on my back (rather than stomach), peppermint oil massaged into temples, gentle hair brushing (by loving child) and peppermint tea. Best of luck to all of you. Migraines suck away time, pleasure and then you feel behind when the fog finally lifts. It is totally worth the effort to get reliable treatment and to figure out what your triggers are.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:51 pm 

vegteacher wrote:
Migraines suck away time, pleasure and then you feel behind when the fog finally lifts. It is totally worth the effort to get reliable treatment and to figure out what your triggers are.

This is the thing that is really pissing me off. I have been losing weeks because of headache/migraine then a day or exhaustion, then another headache, etc. When I have a good day, I feel so alive, but I also reazlie how dead I feel when I have a headache or am just recovering. I haven't done much of anything for 2 weeks because I just feel so out of commission. I miss the old days when I took all those "good" days for granted.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:35 am 

vegteacher - great info! thanks!

and you're right - i think chocolate isn't always my trigger - it's if i have some gluten in me and maybe some nuts and then i add chocolate (in the migraine brain book i like she calls this a "perfect storm" of triggers).

just started reading a new book and it's amazing so far - he's a migraine sufferer and it's like his experiences and his research - http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Wider-Than- ... 233&sr=8-1 - there are some bits about parenting with migraines and i just sobbed. so good. it's nice to have someone who can perfectly word my emotions.

i went for a 75 mile journey to whole foods and trader joes yesterday and the sun was flashing through the trees and i wasn't eating or drinking enough and i usually get migraines when i make this trip so i just took a zomig on the way up and popped some excedrin on the way home to be safe and no problems.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:18 pm 

I just had a reaction and I'm fairly certain it was to popcorn. We bought a hot air popper the other day and w/in a few minutes of eating, head fog.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:04 pm 

i've had 4 bagels in the past 2 days (apparently they are a trigger for me and i shouldn't have them in the house, but anyway) and i was fine. but today i had 2 red dots w/ red 40 and bam, migraine incoming. i thought i'd gotten a dots headache before which is why i only ate 2. so anyway. red 40, bad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:19 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

You are making some good progress! You will never look at red dots in the same way again. The popcorn is a real shame. I love popcorn. You will love pain-free life better than popcorn mixed with red dots for sure! The two red dots might have had a stronger reaction because you had so many bagels in the previous days. Maybe, maybe not. Just something to consider. I am curious about your book link. . .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:49 am 

the book is lovely.

and thanks! i think a lot of it is combos - it seems like not everything works individually (except for the red 40, because really, i don't generally consume food dyes)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next