| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Migraine Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just read this whole thread--I don't know why I haven't before, I've been getting migraines since 2008. I had a sinus infection and severe ear infection and had been on codeine for the ear pain, and when everything started getting better I had an awful headache for over a week. I went urgent care and the doctor identified it as a migraine and said she didn't think it had anything to do with the sinus and ear infection--which seems completely bizarre to me. She wrote me a prescription for extra-strength Aleve which seriously did absolutely nothing, and I did some research and started taking b2 every day, and soon it was gone. Ever since then I've had migraines a few times a month, and they last anywhere from a few hours to three days. A few times a month isn't bad compared to a lot of you but it still has a pretty negative effect on my life.

Red wine is definitely a trigger for me, and some white wines. (I had a week full of migraines that lasted a few hours recently, and I was in total denial that the Reisling in the fridge was causing them--finally I just dumped the bottle down the sink.) I am gluten-free now though I don't think gluten was a migraine trigger. This week I had a pretty bad migraine for two days and I'm wondering if it's because I switched out coffee for black tea, which is apparently higher in tannins. I'm trying to reduce my caffeine intake without going totally cold turkey, mostly to help with anxiety, but if black tea gives me migraines I have no idea what to do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:30 pm 

One last thing!
Has anyone found that legumes are a migraine trigger for them? I was just reading about how it's a common one, but chickpeas and white beans are better than red beans and black beans...I have no idea if they're a trigger for me, and I don't really want to find out because what the hell would I do? I guess just eat chickpeas and white beans every day...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Sure the switch to tea was related? I usually don't have problems post-ovulation until right at the end of my luteal phase, and I think my hormones also modulate how much of an effect potential triggers have. I can't really do caffeine, certain red wines (the last time I had some I woke up with a flashing blue light behind my left eye), and sometimes chocolate. Waiting too long before eating or a blood sugar crash after an unbalanced carb-heavy meal are also a problem.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k4396781373767x7/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:33 pm 

Chipmunk wrote:
Sure the switch to tea was related? I usually don't have problems post-ovulation until right at the end of my luteal phase, and I think my hormones also modulate how much of an effect potential triggers have. I can't really do caffeine, certain red wines (the last time I had some I woke up with a flashing blue light behind my left eye), and sometimes chocolate. Waiting too long before eating or a blood sugar crash after an unbalanced carb-heavy meal are also a problem.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/k4396781373767x7/

I'm not positive, but I was reading about how the tannins in tea can be more of a trigger than the tannins in coffee. But of course it could be a whole variety of things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:23 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

thanks fezza! it breaks a little so it isn't constant but the weather is so changing and I forgot about my barometric pressure triggers so that might be it.

srock - i'm sorry! :( first of all, re the beans, migraines are so weird i guess it's totally possible. also, i take 2 regular aleve with a zomig for my migraines - the zomig is a triptan so helps kill it as it comes and the aleve is sort of for after effects - aleve alone won't help a migraine. are you on any triptans? you need a triptan.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:23 pm 

doc told me i can take 2 of my 250mg mag a day and that i can take my triptans up to 5 times a week when i have a rough patch - woo!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:54 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Oohh, they say here that triptans more than two days increases rebound migraines appi :/ I think if you get onto the 500mg mag a day you'll need little else. You'll have to have your blood monitored though. My levels were creeping up on 500 a day. I'm now trying to take 100mg 3 times a day. When I was on the 500 a day I had two days off to let my kidneys flush a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:08 am 

well that's what i thought - i'm definitely wary of rebound - i used to take midrin and one a week would turn into 12 a week no problem and i had to cold turkey detox myself off of it. and actually, i have been taking days off of the mag sometimes, just in case :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:32 pm 

Oh, I totally forgot! He told me that the body gets rid of magnesium it doesn't need pretty quickly and that if you're getting too much you'll know because you'll get diarrhea and that's the warning sign, and that as long as that wasn't happening, you're fine. But still, I haven't had any today.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:21 pm 

back into every day ness. so much fun.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:30 pm 

possible weird trigger - talking to people when i'm not looking at them? anyone?

also, public places as a trigger - anyone? i.e. doctor's offices, people's houses - places where you're going to be social/interact.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:38 pm 

appifanie wrote:
Oh, I totally forgot! He told me that the body gets rid of magnesium it doesn't need pretty quickly and that if you're getting too much you'll know because you'll get diarrhea and that's the warning sign, and that as long as that wasn't happening, you're fine. But still, I haven't had any today.

I think I'm going to have to stick to the 500mg a day and hope this is the case. Cutting down to 300 a day has brought the migraines and muscle weakness back.

Maybe it's sensory overload or tension in public places?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:34 pm 

I haven't had any issues leading up to ovulation lately, for some reason. Not sure what happened, since I moved and spent a month out of my usual workplace and it would be difficult to unpick. My friend the menstrual migraine is still gracing me with its presence though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:57 pm 

Chipmunk! You don't have any info on magnesium supplementation do you? I'm finding it hard to research with all the conflicting information out there. I'm wondering if something is blocking the magnesium from crossing over from my blood into my cells but it's a bit of a nightmare to research for my very non science brain. I've read B6 helps absorption so I'm wiring that into me. I pretty much show all the signs of magnesium deficiency even though my blood levels are normal.

How's Munich treating you?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:20 pm 

Hmm, I've only ever glanced over a few magnesium papers, but I can try and dig a little. I probably can't look in any detail before next week though.

Munich is temporary but always a nice place to be. I'm actually in England right now trying to get some things done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:44 pm 

Thanks!

It's great that you're getting to travel, I hope you're having a brilliant time!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:03 am 

that's weird cause my ovulation triggered ones are changing a lot lately. also, i switched from one brand of magnesium to a different one and it seemed better but i had tummy issues the other day (not sure if related or not) so i switched back, and now i've got the mild throbbing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:32 am 

Hey Harvey, sorry to hear you're in the migraine club. None of us are doctors so can't give any medical advice. All you can do is read the thread and see if any of the things other people have tried for themselves may help you.

I would say that you should get your doctor to run a full blood panel and don't just accept the "satisfactory" answers, get the readings and check if anything is low/low normal. In researching my low vitamin D status I've discovered that deficiency stops you absorbing magnesium into your cells properly and that may be what triggered my chronic (daily) migraines. I respond well to slightly high doses of magnesium but can only do it safely with regular (6 wk) blood tests. There are several deficiencies that promote muscle weakness which could cause headache or migraine and doctors just don't seem to check for them unless prompted.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:59 am 

Ooohh, I got me bloods back, I've not only managed to stop the magnesium rising in my blood, I've reduced it to 0.84mmol/L. The first result was 0.85 then 0.92 about 8 weeks later. The fact that I was supplementing in between the last two tests makes me think I'm not able to retain magnesium properly. I did drink alcohol for two nights before the test but I don't think it should have been able to have that much of an effect.

It already seems that I'm not able to retain vegetarian sources of Vitamin D (FML!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:52 pm 

that's interesting fezza. are you celiac? i know that celiacs have trouble absorbing nutrients. (i'm sorry if i should know this and don't - i think the migraines have killed off some of my memory brain cells <3 )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:02 pm 

I don't think I'm celiac, I may have a gluten intolerance though. It could be the low vitamin D that's causing the magnesium problems, it helps magnesium absorption so when you're low it can cause problems.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:43 pm 

So auditory triggers are big for me and migraines, which might be why this song actually makes my migraines feel better sometimes. It has tons of different parts and I listen to one, and then another, and I listen to it on repeat 2-3 times and feel better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDuif301F-8&ob=av2e[/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:43 pm 

no posts in 6 weeks!! are we all okay or all dying?

i saw a new eye doc about 4 days ago and she said something about how my eyes were spasming during the exam so she dialated my eyes and then gave me an exam and she backed off my right contact from a -2.5 to a -2.0 because she said my brain or eye or whatever was straining. In any case. Since then my vision hasn't seemed quite as sharp but the migraines are down!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:49 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

So a friend of mine has been having some weird symptoms I think might be migraines. They aren't pain though, so it would be the aura only kind. I'm wondering what you all think. Doctors have mentioned maybe psychosomatic, and don't seem concerned, but she is definitely needing some relief. It's always at night (not every night, but often), she'll sometimes 'see things', and she also has been getting pretty bad and frequent sleep paralysis. Any of you who have aura kind of migraines ever have sleep paralysis? Reason why I'm connecting the two is on the page for sleep paralysis on Wikipedia, migraines are mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:52 pm 

Has she tried taking a migraine treatment to see if it helps?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 23  Next