| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Migraine Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

mars people do get migraine auras w/o the headache pain - it's definitely possible - crazy migraines. my best migraine info is from http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2784 ... aine-brain

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:26 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

fezza wrote:
Has she tried taking a migraine treatment to see if it helps?

No, because no one's suggested it yet! So from the looks of the last page maybe I should suggest she try taking magnesium?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:53 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

No, not magnesium, just a basic migraine pain reliever, just to see if it stops the other symptoms. I get silent/aura migraines and painkillers at the first sign can help. If she finds it helps she should keep a diary of symptoms and anything that helps and show it to her doctor.

I'm glad to hear you've had some relief from yours appifannie! <3

Mine have flared up again. I depleted my magnesium stores before Christmas to see how quickly it would drop and I haven't managed to build them up again yet. The migraines have been blistering this week, I think the VitD is actually blocking the mag from absorbing. Possibly because it's raising the calcium in my blood and it's acting as a mag blocker. I've noticed an increase in them before when taking the VitD daily for more than a couple of days.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:01 pm 

okay i'm going off the magnesium, switching from zomig to relpax, and getting an Rx for pamelor as a preventative. it's an anti-depressant that helps regulate sleep and works as a migraine prophylaxis

and i ate a sandwich on real bread for lunch, instantly had a sneezing fit, and now i have a headache. wooo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yesterday was pretty scary for me. I get migranes from time to time, but never with enough frequency for me to have gotten treatment for them or anything. The one yesterday was at least double the normal amount of pounding in the front right of my head behind my eye, which is where they always are. I threw up a few times and was super naseous, and cold/hot and sweaty. I couldn't handle light or sound or moving at all. I ended up going to the hospital after it wasn't going away, and they gave me something sublingually for the naseua and an anti-inflammatory shot to reduce the migraine, which seemed to take the edge off about 40 min later. I am supposed to go to a doctor that they referred me to on monday for follow up, and I am not really sure what that will entail. One thing that I am less than happy about is that when I called to schedule my appointment with that doctor they told me that they weren't taking new patients, and so it would be a one time thing. Should I cancel that appointment and find a doctor that will take me on as a new patient to work with so this isn't a waste of time or something? I need to get a doctor that will be my primary care one soon since I don't have one in the area that I live in now, and I want to go back on the medication that I had been on when I had my last doctor (unrelated to the headaches), so I need to find a new one to work with anyway.

What kind of questions should I remember to ask or what should I tell them, for those of you that know? Suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:07 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I was going to my primary care doctor for my migraines, but they started increasing in frequency and intensity and so he referred me to a neurologist. an MRI ruled out any 'abnormality' that might have caused the increase and after playing what felt like Russian roulette with meds for several months, we finally settled on daily beta blocker/muscle relaxer/quarterly botox injections combo to reduce the frequency and intensity and imitrex/maxalt (it depends on the severity of the migraine) as an abortive to stop the migraines. so far this seems to be working (knock on wood) as I've only had 2 migraines so far this year and last year I was having daily migraines.

I originally tried meditation/bio-feedback/magnesium supplement as preventative but that was as effective as an old wet sponge trying to put out a 3-alarm chemical fire. :-\

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:16 pm 

To update, I have now been to the doctor and was given imatrex to take if getting a migrane. It is a blessing in disguise that I ended up in the hospital last week due to this, since before I had been trying to find a doctor for this and other reasons, and they all said they weren't taking new patients or weren't taking my insurance. Since the doctor had to see me anyway I talked him into accepting me as a patient. Now I have a doctor, which is something that I had been trying for.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:52 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

vegetable_assassin wrote:
To update, I have now been to the doctor and was given imatrex to take if getting a migrane. It is a blessing in disguise that I ended up in the hospital last week due to this, since before I had been trying to find a doctor for this and other reasons, and they all said they weren't taking new patients or weren't taking my insurance. Since the doctor had to see me anyway I talked him into accepting me as a patient. Now I have a doctor, which is something that I had been trying for.

YAY! Glad to hear you found a doctor and getting treatment! Migraines can really suck the lifeforce right out of you. =(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:51 pm 

started pamelor march 1st. i've had one migraine since then and that was the day before yesterday and it was the first day i've ever worn my glasses all day (i usually switch into contacts but i'm prepping for lasik) AND i was ovulating AND I was stressed, so, who can blame my poor brain?

yesterday my big toes were numb after being outside for 90 minutes but it was a chilly 55. today my hands are a lil shakey, but really, if that's it, i may have to deal, cause i was having 3-5 migraines a week and right now i'm at 1/week. woo!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:04 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

appifanie wrote:
started pamelor march 1st. i've had one migraine since then and that was the day before yesterday and it was the first day i've ever worn my glasses all day (i usually switch into contacts but i'm prepping for lasik) AND i was ovulating AND I was stressed, so, who can blame my poor brain?

yesterday my big toes were numb after being outside for 90 minutes but it was a chilly 55. today my hands are a lil shakey, but really, if that's it, i may have to deal, cause i was having 3-5 migraines a week and right now i'm at 1/week. woo!

That's awesome that you're down to 1 a week!

My brain seems to be very upset with me since the last botox treatment, I've had a migraine every other day since Feb 17th. Granted I've also been under a tremendous amount of stress (my 22 your old kitten is in renal failure). :-(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 am 

i'm psyched so far - hope it stays like this!

and i'm sorry about your migraines and your cat :( one every other day is horrible and that's where i was at before the pamelor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:36 pm 

I feel something that seems like pounding in my head, hopefully I am overreacting but I am paranoid about it being a migraine since I didn't eat or sleep enough yesterday and painted the kitchen, and there was the paint fumes to top it all off. Also, its shark week. Luckily I have the weapons to fight off migraines now if this does turn out to be one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:54 pm 

4 migraines in 20 days, so better than 1 every other day at least. the first 9 days or so were great, but damn my hormones. and damn the heat and the stormy weather. blaaaaargh. today's was a bisque - i needed 2 relpax and 2 aleve and a pseudoephedrine (in case of sinus interference)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:03 pm 

5 migraines in 22 days - my average is going down. today is my 4th day at mostly raw (raw except for coffee) and i don't know if i have a headache cause it's hot, or cause i'm "detoxing", or because i'm stressed. i made soup for the family and i was wondering if eating it would make me feel better, but then part of the reason i'm retrying raw is to help with hte migraines. so i should give it another few days. bah!

also, i can't tell sometimes if i'm having post lasik fuzziness or an aura. so confusing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:23 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

keep destroying that average :) wee!

my headache has been unusually bad of late. I'm putting it down to disruption of routine due to travel etc, but it's gone from a constant 'this is manageable' to 'for forks sake, ow'. not enough to stop me (very rarely is, because I'm stubborn) but I was just getting used to the dull, (relatively) easy pain of the last year

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So my gyno (who had been monitoring my menstrual migraines) referred me to a neurologist since I have insurance now. He agrees that the Fioricet I'd been taking probably won't do enough for my migraines, so he gave me a prescription for Imitrex. Does anyone have a rough idea of how much that's going to cost? He mentioned the generic is fine, but I'm just worried about showing up at the pharmacy and them being like "ok, $100 for 30 pills" or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:29 pm 

no fioricet! no! bad! it's addictive and it's a pain killer and doesn't really take care of migraines (my ex's parents were hooked on that stuff like addicts)

imitrex makes my heart hurt so i don't take it and all the triptans i've ever taken have been name brand and i know they're pricey. i'd call the pharmacy and ask ahead of time to save myself the shock if it's scary. good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the info appifanie - it makes me feel a lot better about not wanting to take it. I felt like it didn't do the job any better than Excedrin Migraine, so why take a prescription when something over the counter worked just as well? I was definitely not a fan.

You know, I never would have thought to do that, so thanks for that advice too :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 am 

yeah it never worked for me either and made me feel sick but most pain killers do. i've taken imitrex, maxalt (a trial), midrin (caused rebounds, the worst, no longer made), fioricet, zomig, relpax (my current and favorite). also, my neurologist has me take them with 2 aleve.

i'm now on a preventative called . . . oh crepe i forgot what it's called. it's an antidepressant with a side effect of migraine prevention.

also, if you haven't read "the migraine brain" by carolyn bernstein, i recommend it - it's very informative.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:41 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just got a prescription for Imitrex yesterday. I almost wish I was getting a migraine right now because I am so anxious to know how it works. (Except also I really don't want a migraine right now.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:40 am 

good luck not needing it, and then good luck having it get batter fast!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

gwenc02 wrote:
So my gyno (who had been monitoring my menstrual migraines) referred me to a neurologist since I have insurance now. He agrees that the Fioricet I'd been taking probably won't do enough for my migraines, so he gave me a prescription for Imitrex. Does anyone have a rough idea of how much that's going to cost? He mentioned the generic is fine, but I'm just worried about showing up at the pharmacy and them being like "ok, $100 for 30 pills" or something like that.

You only get 9 pills per month for the triptan migraine pills unless you have something special worked out with your doctor. I took Maxalt, which is similar to Imitrex. With insurance, I paid $30 a month for the brand and $5 for the generic. Without insurance, Maxalt is more than $300 for 9 pills. So it depends on your insurance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:24 am 

good info little! the thing is too that 9 seems like not a lot, but if you need more you can probably get some relief from other options - figuring out your triggers and such - and if nothing helps you might need to be on a preventative. for a few months I was getting around 3-5 a WEEK so i'm on a preventative now.

i have tricare and their online pharmacy gives me 3 months of pills at a time for $9 cause my copay gets me one month at a physical pharmacy or 3 months online.

also, sometimes some medications have discounts for those who need them.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:24 pm 

bisque of a migraine today! it's like 90 and i have an undercurrent of raised stress going on and my period is in like 3 days. it was horrible - almost barf worthy.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:38 pm 
And you never will.

My first post in the migraine thread! Woo?

I grew up with migraines, from about 7 years old and up. My parents thought I was being dramatic (the same parents who thought I was faking a BROKEN LEG at the age of 2), so I never saw a doctor for them until I was an adult. I used to be on a pretty steady average of 2/week, and to be honest I don't remember all the meds I cycled through, some of which were more effective than others. I haven't had insurance in years, so I haven't seen a doctor for them in years (so I haven't had any meds for them in years).

I lost a bunch of weight about three years ago and they got SO MUCH better, like maybe 1 every couple of months. They went away totally when I got pregnant and I've only had a couple since poopiebaby was born almost two years ago. That is until last month (dun dun dunnnnn).

I've had four in the last month. I know part of it is due to gaining back all the weight I lost, and a lot of it is to do with stress. The summer heat is really picking up now (it was 95 and very humid today) and I'm afraid they're only going to get worse. Plus a storm is rolling in and I think that really contributed to the one I had today. After spending a good 4+ hours on the bathroom floor, I finally stopped vomiting and for some reason I felt like I NEEDED a bath. Thankfully I had already put poopiebaby down for a nap so I soaked in a bubblebath for about an hour, and it really helped. I still have the remnants (I like to call it my migraine hangover), but I don't feel nauseated anymore and I'm not hyper-sensitive to light and sound so I think it's pretty much passed.

The worst part is not being able to take care of my toddler, who doesn't understand why mummy can't play or nurse or snuggle right now :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 23  Next