| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Migraine Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:28 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I just got permission to talk about this in depth because I didn't want to break any rules, sooo let's talk about medicinal marijuana for migraines.

I usually end up trying it when I'm desperate and I have it around...I definitely can't smoke it when I have a migraine, the idea of inhaling smoke makes me SO nauseated, but last night I went to bed with a migraine and woke up and still had it, and Migranal and Excedrin didn't help so I made some banana bread with the marijuana-infused coconut oil I had in my fridge and I feel a lot better. It's not completely gone but I feel way more alive. I don't really like marijuana recreationally, and the weird thing is that when I use it for a migraine I feel like I don't get high AT ALL. Maybe it's because I already feel so fuzzy around the edges so I just don't notice.

Also the banana bread is really tasty (amazing considering I just deglutenized a random internet recipe and then didn't even really follow it because I had a forking migraine) so I just want to keep eating more! That's the dangerous part. But it's also super mild.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:22 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

strawberryrock wrote:
I just got permission to talk about this in depth because I didn't want to break any rules, sooo let's talk about medicinal marijuana for migraines.

I usually end up trying it when I'm desperate and I have it around...I definitely can't smoke it when I have a migraine, the idea of inhaling smoke makes me SO nauseated, but last night I went to bed with a migraine and woke up and still had it, and Migranal and Excedrin didn't help so I made some banana bread with the marijuana-infused coconut oil I had in my fridge and I feel a lot better. It's not completely gone but I feel way more alive. I don't really like marijuana recreationally, and the weird thing is that when I use it for a migraine I feel like I don't get high AT ALL. Maybe it's because I already feel so fuzzy around the edges so I just don't notice.

Also the banana bread is really tasty (amazing considering I just deglutenized a random internet recipe and then didn't even really follow it because I had a forking migraine) so I just want to keep eating more! That's the dangerous part. But it's also super mild.

honestly I'm not familiar with medicinal marijuana for migraines. I did have a friend who had a Rx when her cancer came back a 2nd time and spread all over her body. I know it helped her with the intense pain, so I can totally get that it would help with migraines.

I would be open to trying it. I'm just exasperated with these d%@n migraines. I'm almost willing to try anything at this point! I say almost because migraine or not, I refuse to change my diet and 'incorporate lean animal protein' despite my PA's constant and annoying insistence.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

For me it doesn't make the migraine totally go away but it dulls it to a point where I can function...I sort of wish I had made this banana bread less sweet or just used a whole lot of the coconut oil in a tiny amount because I am just spending the day eating a ton of sugar every few hours! I made this oil with such a tiny bit of marijuana, though, so I have to eat a lot to get the effect. Oh well, mmm sugar. I crave carbs when I have a migraine anyway. For me anyway it's easier to get (in illegitimate ways) than other migraine medications for sure.

I've had this dumb migraine for 24 hours now but I've been able to do fun stuff today anyway because I felt sort of good enough most of the time. But I want it to be completely gone!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:49 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I've actually never had marijuana in any way and spent so much negative time around it that I don't think I ever could, but when it comes to migraines, I say whatever the hell works, DO IT. I've had more come back again (I'm slacking on water and other things) and yesterday was the kiddo's birthday and when I picked her up from school I was waiting for the meds to kick in because I had another horrible and nauseating migraine. The point being that whatever allows you to function is good. I think I have some relation between sweet cravings and migraines but I haven't figured out exactly what it is yet.

dangersquirrel, lean animal protein! How the hell would that help? Ba.

hey has anyone tried the bayer replacement for excedrin? my neuro hates excedrin but i don't always want to be taking my triptan - i'm so afraid it will stop working or cause rebound headaches. Alas.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:35 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I also use medical marijuana for migraines, and I feel like it works, but will not work if I don't catch the migraine when its just beginning. If the onset of the migraine has already occurred it is not likely that marijuana will have any positive effect by itself, but will help after I take my other migraine medication and let that start to calm things down. Then it will make the pain less intense quicker than the other medication alone. Since the marijuana helps for pain in general and isn't targeted at stopping a migraine, if it already is in progress past the first stages it may be too late for me at least.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:55 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Bleugh. The medical botox I got in June has well and truly worn off. The hospital messed up my appointments and didn't call me back in for my second round in December. Now they're saying I'm only down for a review appointment with the doctor and that I have to wait until the beginning of February. Even if he can give me the botox that day (unlikely, he has to get another doctor to do it), it takes 3 weeks to kick in and these bastids are as bad as ever. I was woken up 3 times last night with stabbing pains in my temple, they are so, so painful and incapacitating. I've had nothing but dream/nightmare filled sleep since before Christmas and am getting more exhausted every day. I can really see how much the botox helped me and, sadly, how the migraines have not changed one bit. I'm just hoping that none of my clients ask me to work until the end of February, to give me a chance to rest through this as much as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:06 am 

Oh no Fezza!! :( I hope that you can make it through until you get the shots. So the botox worked for almost 7 months? That's kind of amazing. I'm doing okay-ish lately but it's supposed to be in the mid 70s soon and then it's basically summer again and I'm re-screwed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

fezza wrote:
Bleugh. The medical botox I got in June has well and truly worn off. The hospital messed up my appointments and didn't call me back in for my second round in December. Now they're saying I'm only down for a review appointment with the doctor and that I have to wait until the beginning of February. Even if he can give me the botox that day (unlikely, he has to get another doctor to do it), it takes 3 weeks to kick in and these bastids are as bad as ever. I was woken up 3 times last night with stabbing pains in my temple, they are so, so painful and incapacitating. I've had nothing but dream/nightmare filled sleep since before Christmas and am getting more exhausted every day. I can really see how much the botox helped me and, sadly, how the migraines have not changed one bit. I'm just hoping that none of my clients ask me to work until the end of February, to give me a chance to rest through this as much as possible.

I'm a bit jealous of how fast the botox worked for you. I had 3 rounds before they started taking effect.

sorry to hear you won't be able to get in until Feb. :-(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:36 pm 

Thanks appifanie, it worked well for about 3 months in the middle, then tapered off as it was wearing off. I'm sorry to hear the summer is a trigger for yours, it's crepe when you can't enjoy the sunshine isn't it.

3 rounds dangersquirrel, that's rough! I don't know if there's a difference between the botox in the uk and the US. Ours works in 3s, 3 days for the full numbing effect to kick in, 3 weeks to feel the full effect and it lasts from 3 - 6 months. They also give 20 - 25 injections in the face, scalp and neck. The neck ones caused me a lot of problems, my neck crunched for 5 mths afterwards. I have to see if they'll give me another round without giving it in my neck.

I am disappointed that the migraines are back with the same intensity, I hoped that getting a break from them would help reset whatever is wrong with my brain. I get them 24/7 and the drugs don't do any more than take the edge off them, they're extremely debilitating and my quality of life is pretty low when they take hold. I really hope I can get the botox again, even though it bolloxed up my neck, it was still easier to live with than the migraines.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:44 pm 

I'm just doing a bit of research and it seems I'm getting what is called nocturnal migraines. I have noticed I'm less prone to migraines if I only get light sleep, which isn't a long term solution, but I think I'll try to reduce my time in bed to 7hrs a night to see if it helps. Eating a protein snack before bed and sleeping with my head raised up are other suggestions, the latter will be tricky because I've never been able to sleep on my back. I have to say, although I was still getting mild daytime migraines, the botox completely took away my nocturnal migraines. I know because I didn't remember having any dreams or wakening with pain for about 5mths, now I'm back to constant dreaming and pains. Apparently the dreaming is the pre-migraine aura, due to adrenal disruption, and I should make a concious effort to waken and treat the migraine, oh joy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:04 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

the botox helped with my clusters, it does nothing for menstrual migraines but I can live with that.

can't imagine not dreaming, that really sucks.

I really hope you find something lasting for your migraines fezza!!

edited to add:

I tend to get 33-36 injections each time I go in. I hate the ones on the back of my head, they seem to hurt the most. I usually feel the numbing effect within a matter of days. I wonder if maybe my neuro just told me it would take 3 sessions to set my expectations? also I have to go back every 3 months, or the migraines will come back full force (and pissed that I would try and stop it ;-)).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:06 pm 

I didn't mind not dreaming, the alternative is several (mostly bad) dreams a night. Yeah, I can live with the not dreaming happily!

Ooohh, I don't think they do the back of the head here, that's a lot of injections! I'm sorry you have to get them every 3 months, it's not a pleasant experience is it. I could never get it done for cosmetic reasons, too ouchie, and I hate the numbness in my forehead, that "thawing tooth" sensation for the first 3 days makes me really nauseous! Ack!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:10 pm 

crepe asparagus it's like the 3rd day in a row in migraine land. thanks period.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:59 pm 
Impressive boner

Anyone suffer from ice pick headaches?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:29 pm 

oh the lovely quick stabbing pain? you're fine fine fine OW fine?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:38 am 
Impressive boner

Yeah that's the one, it happened twice in five minutes last night but it's never happened before. The area around it felt tense for a while after, in a sinus congestion way but it wasn't by my sinuses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

oh those are no fun at all!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:54 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

those hit me from time to time. there's not any real correlation for me between severity of headache and when the stab will occur..but when it hits, I'll often wince or stumble. pretty terrible.

I've had major pain over the last few days. I tried oxycodone, and on my second dose started bouts of sleep apnea (I'd nod off for sleep and wake up feeling like I needed to gasp). guess I won't be taking it again. I wish something usefully relieved the pain though, buh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:07 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I've had 3 weeks of increasing toothache pain (alternating stabby with deep throbs) and naturally I wake up the day I'm scheduled to go to the dentist with the worst migraine. today is going to be fun. F.U.N.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:42 pm 

danger i hope you made it through today okay!

i decided to quit coffee to help my headaches (also to see if it helps w/ weight loss and because i'm sick of going across town to the one store that sells the creamer i like) and today is day 2 w/o coffee. i've been having caffeinated tea instead but both days, steady dull stabbing face ache, all day. ugh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:56 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

dull stabbing face ache is not a pleasant way to go thru the day. I hope you feel better soon appi!

only had a couple rebound headaches from the pain meds, so far no new migraines (knock on wood). I'm really looking forward to having a day without any type of pain in my head. :-D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:57 pm 

I was drinking too much coffee over Christmas and thought it might be making things worse. I cut down to one cup in the morning and a couple of cups of caffinated tea through the day.

I have to say, I think the high protein snack and painkillers before bed are helping a lot. I'm dreaming less, sleeping better and not getting woken up with stabbing pains. I've even managed with paracetamol a couple of nights (I'm trying to reduce the codeine use). I think I'll still have to get the botox if they'll offer me it again, I'm managing the migraines with the new routine but having to space 8 painkillers every day, and that just isn't a long term solution. I just hate the idea of going back to that numb, immobile forehead again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:41 am 

thanks danger! i finally realized it was an ovulation migraine yesterday so i took my zomig and my 2 aleve. i try to avoid meds a lot of times because of rebounds, but sometimes then the pain just hangs in there. i'm back to morning coffee and a tiny bit in the afternoon, but maybe i'll do coffee in the morning and caffeinated tea in the afternoon so i'm still getting the caffeine, but it's less. afternoon coffee never really helps my head anyway.

fezza :( i hate that there's so much we have to do to keep them away.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:12 pm 
Impressive boner

I believe I experienced an aura today. It was off in the top left field of my vision and looked like a metallic blue spinning light. It was only there for a few seconds because when I moved my eyes to look at it, it was gone. I've had a headache more or less all day today so it could be connected.
My sister suffers from migraines and said that any kind of throbbing headache that throbs in time with my pulse could be a migraine, regardless of the severity of the pain. I do have headaches like this sometimes so if it is migraine it could also explain the hours of roomspin I sometimes get too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:52 am 

So, I found out on Friday that the hospital weren't meant to give me the botox in my neck. They have no recollection of it happening and say they don't know how it could have. Their injection site chart has them giving me it in the back of my head, which they definitely didn't do. I'm going to contact the patient liaison service to see how it happened. There were 4 members of medical staff in the room at the time!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next