| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Migraine Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:58 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I had a CAT scan in . . . 2004? My current neuro asked if I'd had one and apparently that one was good enough. Is your doctor a neurologist? Have you ever had a CAT scan? You could always just say "hey, my bf thinks I need a CAT scan" and see what the doc says.

I have another migraine. The same migraine? I feel like barfing. I also have this itchy scratchy throat and a cough and tummy issues. Fun times. I quit soda, but man I want a coke or a cherry coke or a dr pepper.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:53 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The doc stated that there was no reason to have any type of scan, would be waste of money. Says with classic migrane symptoms its a functional problem not a hardware problem basically, since the brain chemicals are messed up and not anything like tumors or the brain itself.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:49 am 

well that works! did that calm the bf?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 am 

neuro appointment today! he bumped up my pamelor dosage and renewed my relpax rx. also, i've been getting hormonal and heat headaches that come, i medicate them, they go away, they come back, so he gave me some frova to try for when the migraine comes back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My bf is calmed by the fact that I don't have a brain tumour, but more so that I have had no migraines this week! Must be the weather cooling off finally.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:51 pm 

vegetable_assassin wrote:
My bf is calmed by the fact that I don't have a brain tumour, but more so that I have had no migraines this week! Must be the weather cooling off finally.

hurray for no tumors, no migraines, and cooler weather!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

my head has been trying to kill me again. i think it's the weather. but also probably food.

do any of you have a problem with oats? i've been searching online and i keep finding weird stuff that seems completely unreliable. i don't usually eat oaty stuff since my stomach doesn't know what to do with oatmeal and just sends it right back. (plus it tastes like boredom and despair to me no matter what i add to it.)

but i've eaten a couple odwalla bars and that's the ingredient most atypical for my diet in there. it might not be it though since it seems like oatmeal is safe for most people.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:20 pm 

Every one is different! Are they regular oats or gluten free oats? Gluten sometimes affects my head, and so regular oats could as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

Hey, appifanie. They're regular oats. I've been eating gluten with impunity since testing negative for celiac, buuuut, I think the sad fact is that at least some gluten-y foods hurt my head.

I don't know if it's going to help to just reduce it or if total avoidance is necessary. But I'm feeling like rubbish, so I should prob. just go for it. I did it before and it was okay. I don't know why I'm being such a weirdo about it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:41 am 

Yeah I'm negative for celiac too but my allergist said if I felt better by not eating it then I shouldn't eat it. The first time I quit gluten it was easy but each successive time it gets harder for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:18 pm 

Finally connected a few dots - the 75mg of nortriptyline has elevated my heart rate - I'm almost always in the 90s at rest.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:35 pm 

helped out a friend by taking him to get a jumper cable - it was humid and we hadn't really gone out but now, migraine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've been taking 375 mg. of Magnesium every day for like a month, and so far it seems to have a somewhat positive effect - had a slight migraine yesterday, but a sumatriptan in the morning and one in the afternoon took all of my symptoms away. AND I don't have a migraine today! I don't remember the last time I had a 1 day migraine!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:04 pm 

ooh hurray!! fingers crossed!! i ran out for a few days. bad bad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:55 am 

So I googled because the nortriptyline has raised my resting heart rate to 90-110 bpm and I found this cheery article: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/198053.php

which says that:

"The researchers found that a resting heart rate of over 84 beats per minute that either developed or persisted over a 5-year period increased the risk of cardiovascular death by 55%, and raised the risk of death from any cause by 79%."

Oh good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Since I posted almost a month ago, I have only had ONE migraine day! That is two small migraines in two months! And I am in the middle of some pretty stressful times, so it's really impressive. So far, magnesium is the best thing I've done for my migraine since I started taking sumatriptan.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:39 pm 

that's awesome! i hope it keeps going well for you. <3 for the stressful bits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

What do you guys do when the triptans work, but only for a day?

I get classic migraines without aura. Most are brought on by either dehydration or my period. But I get some without a clear trigger.

What keeps happening is that I take a triptan, at say 3 pm. It works and the migraine is gone that day and the next morning, but comes back the next day at 10 or 2. And then this repeats for a few more days. Do you keep taking a triptan each time? I can't afford to be laid out with a headache, and I don't want to be. But I also worry about taking a triptan every day for several days.

I don't feel like I get them often enough to be on a preventative, esp. because 2/3 of them have a clear cause.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I take sumatriptan every time I get a migraine. Even if it's a few days in a row.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:42 am 

i use relpax and i was reading in one of my migraine books about longer acting triptans, so my neuro gave me a longer acting one, frova, to try.

usually what happens for me is I get my migraines under control (or they feel like they are and I have a lot of headache free days) and then I get ovulation or period migraines and those will go away with the triptan+aleve but they'll come back the next time. you aren't supposed to take more than 2-3 triptans a week because that increases the likelihood of rebound/medication overuse headaches.

a lot of times, I try non medicated remedies to help - water, coffee, hot shower, lying still, a snack, whatever - and if that stuff doesn't work i try to ignore it if i've taken a bunch of triptans that week (more than the 2-3) I just wait for bedtime and hope I wake up better the next day (so i make sure the a/c is on because cool helps my headaches). BUT, apparently leaving migraines untreated can do damage to your brain somehow, so . . . thbbt.

sometimes i think i have a migraine but it's sinus-y, in which case my doc told me to take pseudoephedrine so i do.

also, sometimes i use some excedrin if I feel like i've used the triptans a lot lately, even though my doc doesn't like excedrin. DON'T TELL HIM.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:27 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Little My wrote:
What do you guys do when the triptans work, but only for a day?

I get classic migraines without aura. Most are brought on by either dehydration or my period. But I get some without a clear trigger.

What keeps happening is that I take a triptan, at say 3 pm. It works and the migraine is gone that day and the next morning, but comes back the next day at 10 or 2. And then this repeats for a few more days. Do you keep taking a triptan each time? I can't afford to be laid out with a headache, and I don't want to be. But I also worry about taking a triptan every day for several days.

I don't feel like I get them often enough to be on a preventative, esp. because 2/3 of them have a clear cause.

Any thoughts?

That's why I switched from Imitrex to Amerge.

But...Amerge has stopped working for me I think? Does that even make sense? It worked great the first several times, now, nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:28 pm 

Sadly it does make sense - the studies and literature all say that migraines are always changing, so as you figure them out, something changes.

So I got a period migraine on day 1 of my period on the 8th. I took my triptan and aleve the 8th, it came back the 9th and I took it, it came back the 10th i took excedrin, the 11th i took the meds again. so here today I want to not have meds but holy hell it hurts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:53 pm 

OH MY GOD it went so bad. Bad bad. I took my aleve and relpax like 30 minutes after my post. By 9 (an hour later) I was so ugh I went to bed. I *tried* to go to bed. I tossed and turned all night and woke up like every 30 minutes gripping my head in pain. At 11:30pm I took a 2nd relpax (and remembered the tooth fairy was supposed to visit the kid) and still, tossed and turned. Woke up with extreme nausea, puked a few times. It was so bad. I was trying to figure out when to go to the hospital. Oh and I took excedrin at like 4am and threw up after that. Finally I got some sleep until almost 8am and woke up fine. Now it's 8pm and I'm feeling slightly headache-y. I have had so much water today. I changed my afternoon coffee (I'm wondering if my coffee is too strong and is giving me migraines, actually) to chai. I'm going to go get more water.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:31 am 

migraine a day for a week! woo?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:59 am 

okay the 16th and 18th I was headache free and the 17th I only had a little something. today i woke up with one - it's rainy though, and it was a little warm inside.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next