| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Asking for financial help with med bills
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:32 am 
Nailed to the V

Quick summary of events - bat Crawled Up My Arm while I was chilling at home. Eventually caught and released it. Later found little scratch on my arm. The possibility of contracting rabies from that is so low. Went to the doc, he said they pretty much had to proceed with the shots because I had contact and then slides me a piece of paper with the cost estimate - $10,000ish. I immediately start crying and say I have to think about it. Talk to some naturalists I know who say rabies possibility hovers around 0%. Talk to my insurance who say they'll pay after $2,500 deductible. I call the doc to say I don't want to proceed because the disparity between those 2 factors is so large. They end up talking me into it. So I get the shots. And now I have to pay the $2,500 which is a huge financial burden to me. Basically I can get on a payment plan that means I'll get it paid off in 2 years. A friend said I should do a gofundme or something similar to crowd source some of the money. I admit it would help a lot of a bunch of people kicked in $10 or so but I also feel like a douche asking in the first place. Thoughts?

-alice1drland

Post subject: Re: Asking for financial help with med bills
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:39 am 
Saggy Butt

People ask for help on gofundme for all sorts of things, some of them not as important as a medical bill! I don't think you would be a douche at all, I would be screwed if I had a bill like that to pay (low income, no savings) so I say go for it - fwiw

Eta - what are the vaccines made of, liquid gold? That's extortionate!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:07 pm 
WRETCHED

You can try to raise money but I wouldn't depend on it. Have you talked to your doctor about making payments for the deductible?

I also think you made the right decision because the only way to verify a rabies diagnosis is through an autopsy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:55 am 
Saggy Butt

Go ahead and set up a gofundme account. Even if you don't get to your target amount you still get to keep whatever gets donated. Nick and I will gladly throw some money your way for the sake of rabies-free status. You shouldn't feel bad about it, this is what friends/community are for. And honestly, you're a minor celebrity downtown. I think a lot more people that you expect will chip in. If I'm wrong then I've clearly been gone too long.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:07 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

It's worth a shot! If people don't want to contribute, they don't have to. But I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to chip in a little to help out. Even if it's just $50, that's still $50 less that you have to pay.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:09 pm 
Nailed to the V

[quote="joyfulgirl"]It's worth a shot! quote]

9 shots, actually ;). Thanks for the input, guys. Yes, I am on a payment plan but if I could crowd source small amounts from a lot of people to pay like half of it that would help a lot. I'll let you know how it plays out. And thanks, Catalina, for the personal endorsement. Everything I see about you livin' the life in Montana is great.

-alice1drland