| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fingernail problems
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:48 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi:
I'm new here, (Boston area), have been vegan for 5 years and 'vegetarian' before that.
My fingernails have always been short - but, they split, break, they're brittle. On some fingers the nails have a 'top layer', which almost alway break.
Just wondering if anyone has advice.
I have TONS of creams, lotions, ointments, etc. I haven't been using any of these consistently, which I'm sure doesn't help.
People have suggested GELATIN and those OTC hair, nails, etc., supplements. They're well meaning people, but, I won't do either of those. (It's interesting, I'll fully explain why those methods are not for me, but....don't think they'll ever get it!
Thanks for reading my post.
Have a peaceful evening

Denise

Post subject: Re: Fingernail problems
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:02 pm 
Dead by dawn

My nails have always grown crazy fast, but split, peeled and broke easily. The only thing that has worked for me is keeping them polished, which may or may not appeal to you. It really does make a huge difference, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:12 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer. I had my right hand polished YEARS ago (fingerpicking guitar), but I remember disliking the feeling of it. But, it has been awhile, so I will give it a try.
Do you have suggestions for a vegan polish?
Thanks again!
Denise

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:34 am 
Ninja Master

Cuticle oil is the best thing for you by the sounds of it. Lots of it, 2/3 times a day. I like China Glaze's orange oil and Nubar's cuticle oils.

Both of those are also brands with a fully vegan polish line but there is a thread on here that gives you a full list.

A gel polish manicure might be better for you than regular polish too, as it's a bit stronger but not as strong as acrylic! :)

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:40 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've found that Horsetail keeps my nails from splitting and getting soft. It's a plant--apparently it resemble a horse's tail when it grows. I take it in tincture form--about 20 drops in a pint of water--but I know it's also available in capsules.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't have splitting or brittle nails. But I have ridges in my nails that are bothersome. My doc has told me it's due to my low iron levels. I'm on supplement for the iron but I haven't seen any improvement in nails getting better yet. Calcium levels being low can also be an indicator for brittle nails. It might be worth looking into your iron and calcium to make sure you are getting enough. Try eating more leafy green vegetables full of calcium. http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.php

In the mean time you could try keeping them extra short and trimming at least once or twice a week. And painting with a good vegan clear polish. Here are some brands you can look at.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 ... 96463.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:04 am 
Cranky

There are supplements that are specially formulated for hair and nails. Biotin is a major ingredient of most of them. When I take that stuff regularly, I definitely notice a difference.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have a similar problem and while it's never actually gone away, keeping my nails polished helps me, too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:05 pm 
Dead by dawn

denise223 wrote:
Thanks very much for taking the time to answer. I had my right hand polished YEARS ago (fingerpicking guitar), but I remember disliking the feeling of it. But, it has been awhile, so I will give it a try.
Do you have suggestions for a vegan polish?
Thanks again!
Denise

There are two lengthy nail polish threads in The Mall (one stickied at the top with a discussion of vegan polish brands, and one more general discussion called something like "what nail polish are you wearing?") Tons of info. My personal favorite is Zoya.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:03 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

as you mention in the OP, the consistency really helps. I have to use heavy creams regularly in winter (if i don't, my usually-slightly-gnawed cuticles bleed and it gets gross) and I notice how much nicer my nails are. Finding a way to make it a habit will certainly help.

Post subject: Fingernail problems
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my post. I'm checking into the Horsetail to make sure there aren't any contraindications to a med that I'm on. Also checking into the Gaia Hair, Nail, etc., formula.
I've ordered the china glaze orange oil. My calcium & iron levels are in a normal range, and do eat adequate greens.
Even with a clear coat of polish, it has always felt very strange to me. I can't explain it.
Again, thanks for your time - I appreciated all your answers.
Have a peaceful evening!
Denise

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:39 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i grow horsetail, it is like a dinosaur-era plant and really cute- it apparently has high levels of silicon, and people sometimes take it for connective tissue healing type stuff, but more often it is used as a diuretic (I learned about it during my kidney stone era), so definitely check with your doctor. This page has some info and citations http://pennstatehershey.adam.com/conten ... gid=000257

I know exactly what you are saying about the "feeling" of nail polish. it is almost as if my fingers feel drier or something, and when I take it off, it is such a relief. I usually end up using some kind of oil or buffing my nails if i want them to look nice because i don't like the feeling (I don't feel it on my toes, though, go figure).