| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: And you thought periods were a pain in the arse - Menopa
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:06 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I'm wondering if I'm starting into peri-menopause. My periods have started to come more frequently (every 3-3.5 weeks instead of every 4 weeks like clockwork) and sometimes I'll have a day of spotting in the middle of my cycle. It's not every month, more like every 4-5 months. This happened again yesterday, and I woke up this morning with what I would normally consider a period pimple (although my period ended about a week ago) and I'm feeling extra emotional and vulnerable. Since I'm going through a major life change (just quit my job, moved to a different country, am more or less living with my partner for the first time in my life) and I'm exhausted (and anemic) I know some of the emotions could be chalked up to that, but considering the breakthrough bleeding, I can't help but wonder if hormones are at play. If I hadn't just finished my period, I'd think I was premenstrual with the way I'm feeling now.

I'm 45, and my mom didn't hit menopause until she was 53, so it feels kind of early, but as some of you noted, it can go on for years. To those who have experienced it, does this sound like peri-menopause?

ETA: Medically, I'm not worried that anything else is going on. I've had a pap smear recently and everything was totally normal. I've got fibroids, but there's no indication anything else suspicious is going on.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:41 am 
Nailed to the V

I started going through 'the change' at 45. I started menstruating at age 11 and fortunately had regular periods ... every 4 weeks almost to the hour.

I do not think I had a 'peri' phase at all.

When first 'changing' I had 2 episodes of 'flooding' ... 2 weeks of heavy flow. Then nothing for 2 months then another flood. After that I have had nothing aside from one day of spotting.

All this was years ago. I am now 56 years old. I took no drugs ... advised the doc it was happening but that was all.

I have gained no weight, nor have I grown any whiskers! However I no longer need to shave my underarms, no growth there at all.

The hot flushes were tiresome but they did not last very long.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:55 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

At 38, it was a shock to realize that I'm in early/premature menopause. But I had my 1st symptoms (insomnia and irregular periods) a year ago, 3 months ago came the hot flushes, anxiety and depression. But what's really flooring me is the dizziness. That is something you don't think is associated with menopause, because nobody mentions it as a menopausal symptom...so I thought I was really ill until I had blood tests. They all came back clear and I'm a picture of health according to my GP. I felt foolish for wasting her time, but I still didn't have a diagnosis for the dizziness.
So I hate Googling symptoms, it makes me sound like a hypochondriac. But when I put in everything into the search engine and clicked enter, this is what came up and it made perfect sense:

http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/

I have about 20 out of the 34! Oh, and I recently asked my mum when she started signs of the menopause and she said had her 1st hot flush at 39!

So it's not an ideal time for me because I have 4 kids. The oldest is 13 and the youngest is 5...Yeah I know, I have my hands full...and I'm not sure I can take much more of this...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:35 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

This list explains a lot of weirdness that's been happening with me lately. Although to be honest I already suspected I was perimenopausal. But I still get my period regularly, and oh joy I can still get knocked up..........being a woman really sucks sometimes. My question is when I reach menopause and I've not had a period for a year, does most of this bs settles down or even disappears. I've met quite a few women over 50 who are having a lot more fun than women younger - so maybe this is the case.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

well that would explain a lot. i have also been cripplingly dizzy every month or so.
now the question is how long will this crepe drag on. i'll be 40 this year. i was at a family event earlier in the summer and i overheard aunties bisqueing about menopause and one said she didn't stop having periods til age 63. I'm not looking forward to 20 years of this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:53 am 
Seagull of the PPK

well that would explain a lot. i have also been cripplingly dizzy every month or so.
now the question is how long will this crepe drag on. i'll be 40 this year. i was at a family event earlier in the summer and i overheard aunties bisqueing about menopause and one said she didn't stop having periods til age 63. I'm not looking forward to 20 years of this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:05 am 
Nailed to the V

I started going through 'the change' at 45. I did not have a difficult time at all ... my regular periods just stopped with one period of a fortnight of 'flooding' then nothing for about 6 months then one scant 3 day period. Nothing since ... I am 56.

I did not grow any hair on my face or gain any weight. I did have the hot flushes though, where you do not feel hot from the outside (as one would sitting in the sun) but rather that your blood is boiling!

I took no medication ... 'the change' is a natural part of life & I also fretted that it might affect my MS which has been silent for years. The spells of hot flushes lasted about 3 years.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

me mum just announced that she was 60 when she "went through the change" (we've never talked about this before, we never really had that kind of talking ease). sweet baby pickles.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

torque wrote:
me mum just announced that she was 60 when she "went through the change"

Holy cow!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

A friend just told me that this Chinese herb pill (this specific brand too, not the other brands of the same concoction) got rid of her hot flashes in 24 hours. Have any of you ever heard of this: http://herbschina.com/zen/min_shan_form ... a_min_shan

She had gone to a Chinese doctor after another doctor gave her the same pill under a different brand. And the Chinese doctor said this brand is way better and it ended up working for her.

She said it worked way better than soy. I'm about to plunk down some coinage to give it a try but wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with herbals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:03 am 
Not NOT A Furry

To chime in on the dizziness: I also have it, especially when I wake up at night from a really bad hot flash. If I try to go to the bathroom in this state I'll run into walls and stumble around as if I'm totally drunk.

snarkyvegan wrote:
A friend just told me that this Chinese herb pill (this specific brand too, not the other brands of the same concoction) got rid of her hot flashes in 24 hours. Have any of you ever heard of this: http://herbschina.com/zen/min_shan_form ... a_min_shan

She had gone to a Chinese doctor after another doctor gave her the same pill under a different brand. And the Chinese doctor said this brand is way better and it ended up working for her.

She said it worked way better than soy. I'm about to plunk down some coinage to give it a try but wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with herbals.

I don't know anything about this herb but just wanted to say that you should never underestimate the placebo effect. If your friend found the Chinese doctor particularly trustworthy and he assured her that he is recommending a particularly effective brand to her, well, that might already explain all of the effect.

Even for conventional medication, the placebo part of the effectiveness can be significantly larger than that of the actual drug. E.g. if someone takes an aspirin and does not believe it will help them, it will have a much weaker effect than if they are absolutely sure that it will heal their headache.

Scientific research on the placebo effect is still a growing discipline and I think we are just starting to understand just how ridiculously strong the human subconscious is.

I don't know if this was helpful to you now, but oh well...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:33 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm still menstruating but I think I'm starting to experience hot flashes. My periods are coming closer together though--they were 28 days like clockwork through my twenties and into my early forties but a couple of years ago they started cycling closer--more like every 24 days or so.

The hot flashes suck if that's what I'm experiencing is and I believe it is. They just started a couple of weeks ago for me and kind of remind me of panic attacks without the panic. Like, I feel so hot I wonder if this is what the preamble to spontaneous combustion feels like? Jeez. I do not like this feeling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:18 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Getting overheated triggers my urticaria so I'm really not looking forward to the hot flushes as I fear it might have the same effect.

There have been a few times in recent years when my periods have gone out of routine (either more or less frequent) and I always think 'here we go' but then things seem to stabilise for a while.

I asked my sister who is two years older than me if she'd had any symptoms of menopause yet and she said no but I got a sense that maybe she was just embarrassed and I caught her off guard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I am reviving this thread - no bisqueing since last fall!

I really can't complain yet. I will be 49 next week and have absolutely no symptoms of menopause except for erratic bleeding. No hot flashes, no dryness, no mood swings and I think my sleeplessness the past two weeks is not hormonal.

My periods were always so regular and the minor symptoms I had leading up to them so noticeable - mild bloating, increased hunger, breast tenderness - I usually did not always track them, just knew when they were about to start.

The past year my uterus seems to bleed whenever it feel like it and however much it wants, from a teaspoon here and there to a full period. Start/stop, drops here and there, mild period like bleeding over a few days. I really only mind the erratic nature of it.

I have been having mild attacks that seem like panic attacks. My heart pounds, my throat tightens and I feel anxious for no reason. They may be unrelated to menopause though, since life's been pretty stressful this past year.

Anyone have anything new? How are you all feeling?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh, and I think this is just general aging but the right group to ask - I found my skin was quite dry and sometimes itchy this past winter. I tend to dry skin but it seemed worse. When I think about it I don't eat an awful lot of fat sometimes, though I try to have nuts every day and I definitely don't limit fats at all, so I was thinking about taking a spoonful of Udo's 3-6-9 oil everyday. Has anyone tried anything like this?