| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E-cigarette recommendations?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Does anyone here have some experience with e-cigarettes? My boyfriend quit smoking this week and he's having a really hard time. I want to help make it as sustainable for him as possible, and since he particularly misses the ritual of smoking, we were talking about his trying out e-cigarettes. The only thing is, neither of us knows anything about them, and the array of devices available seems somewhat overwhelming. I know there are disposables, and also all sorts of refillable kinds. He's been a pretty heavy smoker, making his own cigarettes from loose tobacco and shells with filters, so I suspect refillables of some sort will be the way for him to go, but I'd love to hear other people's experiences, and also would love any recommendations for brands people have tried and liked.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Post subject: Re: E-cigarette recommendations?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:56 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I have no experience but I know the refillable ones can get pretty pricey. Maybe he could try some disposable ones first to see if they're actually something that can help him?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:05 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

It isn't a great idea to start with e-cigs. They don't know if it is safer than normal cigarettes yet, and there isn't evidence for it to be a good way to quit smoking.
There is much better evidence for regular nicotine substitutes like gum and inhalers. I personally used an inhaler for the first week or two, and it helped me tremendously. Not that it wasn't awful to quit anyway.
ETA. I'm sorry, you explicitly asked for recommendations, so my reply wasn't very helpful. I just wrote this post because I missed the act and rituals of smoking as well, and the inhaler helped with that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I appreciate your concern, but I'd still like to hear people's experiences with them. He is already using nicotine replacement (lozenges) but we're talking about someone who is clinically depressed and he feels like the ritual of smoking was one of the few moments of pleasure he could relish each day. (Both making and smoking the cigarettes.) I know not all the research is in on e-cigs, but from everything I've seen and read recently, the potential risks are definitely lower than the definite risks of continuing to smoke.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona