| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri May 27, 2016 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: achilles tendon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone ever injured their achilles tendon?

i have been hobbling around for over a month with a pain in the area that i believe is my achilles tendon. i am not an athlete or a runner or anything of the sort. i thought it would just go away if i rested it as much as i could. it hasnt, it's gotten worse and the other day i actually found a lump on the narrow part of the back of my leg right above the heel. looking at anatomy pics online i believe it's right where the achilles connects to your leg bones (???)

Dr Google is telling me im obviously going to die because that's all Dr Google ever tells people but maybe possibly second to foot cancer ultimate death disease it might be achilles tendonitis.

pretty sure it's from carting my toddler around on my left hip. i carry her a lot, she's tiny so she doesnt weigh much (20 lbs) but i still carry her A LOT.

the dr cant see me til next friday so ill be hobbling around for another week and a half.
anyone know what they usually do for this?

Post subject: Re: achilles tendon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:14 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I am a runner so I don't know if anything I say will apply to you, but I've had on-and-off Achilles problems for about two years (fortunately has been off for about 6 months now), alternating back and forth between sides, and at least the first occurrence was definitely directly caused by running. I went to the doctor once, during the first occurrence when it didn't go away for months. He gave me a special boot to sleep in and I thought it helped. He also said that unless I stopped running, it wouldn't go away, but from x-rays he could tell that I was not in danger of rupturing it and I could keep running if I didn't mind the pain. No attempt to figure out specifically what I was doing to cause it. I thought that doctor's appointment was useless, so from then on I've either stopped running until it cleared up, and one time I got a "Strassburg Sock" (order on amazon or get at a running store) which is also something you sleep in and it definitely helped. I've also gotten deep tissue massages sometimes and not sure if it helped with the specific issue but it made my legs feel better in general. Anyway, good luck and I hope they can help you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:44 pm 
Semen Strong

You might have a repeated strain injury or a cyst. My PT says that because your hip is in line with your knees and your feet, any injury or weakness there expresses itself in your weakest part. With me, my hip injury means that my knees are a disaster. It super sucks.

My sympathies.

Glad you got such good support DtC!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:28 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my mom was a nurse and poked at it and said maybe it's a bone spur but i dont think it is. the pain moves around.

when i went to the physical therapist at the end of last year several times for really bad pain in my right hip she said i was just generally weak all over (core, hips, legs, etc). my right side was the one i went to PT for and have been diligently doing my stretches/strengthening exercises on both sides but my left side is the side i carry BabyPunk around on and im like 99% sure that's what caused it.

it just super sucks because we planned an entire vacation this june around hiking in CO and now im hobbling around worried. im just hoping it doesnt need surgery which i dont think it does since it's not severe pain it's just annoying. im thinking it's probably tendonitis.

blech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

As a runner I had problems with my Achilles tendon.
When it gets kind of serious:

It feels as a burning pain.
If you touch the place that hurts, instead of feeling a smooth tendon, you can feel little threads with your finger.

How to cure it:
Use heel cups.
Get selenium supplements.
grab an ice cube with napkin and massage the tendon until the ice cube dissolves one or two times a day.
Do some massage on your calf muscles.

The combination of those things has always helped me. It is a tendon, no blood flow goes through it so it takes longer to recover completely.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:39 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks for the tips i am definitely going to try some. the pain today is sometimes stabby. no burning yet but every now and then it starts throbbing and i have a brief stabbing pain.

my dr appt isnt til next friday and i suspect she wont have anything to help me with the pain other than telling me to go see th PT again.

been trying to convince the toddler i dont have to carry her everywhere but she is unconvinced

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:06 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I somehow managed to injure my achilles tendon from just walking around but didn't know it.

If it's your achilles tendon, you might also have a pain in your heels as well (or at least I did). If you let it get as bad as I did, this will affect how you walk. To compensate for the pain I was experiencing in my heels, I changed the way that I walked which ultimately led to me throwing my hips and back out of whack. I let my issue go for so long that I reached a pointed where I could no longer walk without being in the worst pain ever. The kind of pain that makes you see a blinding white light kind of pain. In sheer desperation, I went to a podiatrist on a Saturday (no less) and was given a cortisone injection in the area. This reduced the pain where I could hobble around but the pain was unmanageable.

I ultimately ended up getting another round of cortisone injections, wore a medical boot for 2 months and then purchased custom orthotics. Through all of this, the doctor had me do two exercises to stretch my calf and achilles tendon on the regular basis. I do these exercises to this day because when I stop them for a couple of months the pain comes back. I also had to see a PT sort out my hips and back.

My situation was particularly bad and like you thought it would get better on its own and I hate to be a downer but as worldrunner mentions, it takes a long forking time for your achilles tendon to heal. So if you have the means to, I highly recommend you go to a podiatrist because foot pain can literally cripple you in ways you would never expect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:26 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the pain moves around so yeah.
sometimes it's on the side of my heel and sometimes a couple of my toes feel weird.

i was trying to hobble around the park today with my daughter and the pain kept shooting through my heel/tendon intermittedly

i hadnt thought of a podiatrist for some stupid reason (that one should have been obvious?)
ill see what the dr says next friday.

im gonna try the ice cube thing now but im scared. i hate cold things!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:43 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Check your calf muscles and massage it, and stretch it very carefully.
you might have a contracture there, and it is putting more tension to the whole foot area...
The weakest link of the foot or tendon will show the pain at a precise moment.
In my case that has usually explained moving pains.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:16 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

had my drs appt this morning and the dr confirmed i have achilles tendonitis. it actually has gotten a bit better lately since i ditched wearing my "fashion sneakers" (aka sneakers that have no support and the tread is long since gone but look cute) and wearing sneakers with support.

she showed me how to massage it and told me to get supportive sneakers and lace them well so my foot isnt flopping around in them, and she gave me some stretches to do. she also gave me a few options and said i could get a heel cup or an ankle brace thingy or something i think she called super feet that are like an insert.

my biggest concern right now is our trip to CO in june when we are basically spending the week hiking. so i think what i am going to do is obviously do the massages and stretches but i think im going to dig out my hiking sneakers which previously i only used for hiking because they are nice and were expensive and wear those around to make sure they fit well and my heel feels good (after i had my daughter these shoes in particular felt tight). if they are too small im going to go get new sneakers for our trip.

would people hike in a heel cup? is that a good thing to have on hand in case?