| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quitting/Wanting to Quit Smoking Support Thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

[quote="mrsbadmouth"]I don't think of smoking EVERY day, but I do often miss it. The way the air smells at night in the fall makes me want to smoke.

This. Something about midwest fall days makes me think of smoking listening to Bille Holiday (probably my college days at U of I). Then I think about midwest winters, freezing my asparagus outside, and midwest summers (daytime) when its sticky and hot and the smoke smell clings to you because the air doesn't move, ugh. But I'll give you the fall days.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Sometimes I catch a random puff of smoke that smells good to me and I do think about it, but more often I smell how AWFUL a smoker smells when I'm on the bus or an elevator. I'm so glad that I'm not smelling like giant ashtray and not even knowing how gross it is to others anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

LazySmurf wrote:
...by rewatching Mad Men and it's non-stop smoking in that show!

I had started PRVing it months ago. I can't watch it anymore, at least not until I'm good and quit.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 am 
Not NOT A Furry

pistachiorose wrote:
The book my mom used to quit is called 'Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking'. She thinks the book helped her a lot more than the champix did (said the side effects were vile).

Hang in there!

Someone else reccomended that book to me too! I found it on Amazon. I think I might buy it anyway.

And yes, Champix works but the side-effects are awful. Made me wanna hurry-up and quit just so I could get off the meds sooner.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

emmalv wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
I don't think of smoking EVERY day, but I do often miss it. The way the air smells at night in the fall makes me want to smoke.

This. Something about midwest fall days makes me think of smoking listening to Bille Holiday (probably my college days at U of I). Then I think about midwest winters, freezing my asparagus outside, and midwest summers (daytime) when its sticky and hot and the smoke smell clings to you because the air doesn't move, ugh. But I'll give you the fall days.

Yeah, I have to agree that I loved smoking at certain times, in certain environments.

On my veranda in the summer at 6am when it's cool, the rest of the neighbourhood is still sleeping, hot cup of fresh coffee in my hands, feet up, my cat snoozing on my lap... it's wonderful.

Then the morning dog-walkers and moms with strollers and power-walkers and distance runners start to appear, and as they pass in front of my house and wave, I wave back and each time I feel like more and more of a stupid fat-ass cuz I could be out there running too but I choose instead to grow my lateral girth and smoke cigarettes.

Yeah, that romantic feeling is fading.

Today is day 7, and I'm not the least bit interested in smoking. DH has been hiding his pack for the last week so not to tempt me (which I appreciate), but he left them out today and I don't even care.

I will be even happier when I stop coughing completely.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Awesome, AlwaysHungry! Keep it up!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:13 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

That's amazing, AlwaysHungry! Well done!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Day 9.... BOOYAH!

Okay, so I'm still taking the Champix and WOW it gives me bizarre dreams. Not nightmares, thank goodness, but very bizarre and vivid dreams. I feel rested when I wake up, but I feel like I've been awake watching a stupid reality TV show all night. Last night I dreamed I got home from work and DH was out and he left his cigarettes at home, and I was thinking about sneaking one. And I remember pulling one out of the pack and the smell of it and thinking "I want it, I could smoke it, and he'd never have to know.... but I'D know, and I'm not gonna lie to him, and why would I do this when it makes me feel like crepe, anyway." And when I woke up I felt like a jerk, cuz I figured I must have smoked it... until I realized I had dreamed it.

I tell SOMEBODY every day how many days I'm smoke-free. It makes it real, it lets me celebrate a little every day, and it keeps me accountable cuz I know I'll feel like a jerk if I start-up again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:40 am 

Tell everyone you know! The bus driver and the checkout person at the grocery store! Then you can have lots of little celebrations that you are completely entitled to!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I told my massage therapist today that it's DAY 15!

OK, so last saturday I worked a 13-hour shift without so much as a coffee break, and I came home exhausted and pissed-off at the world and I really wanted to smoke (and my husband is smart enough to know not to stop me on days like that)... instead I had a glass of wine and a bag of popchips and watched Canadian sitcoms in bed. I'm so glad I didn't smoke.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:22 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

*high five*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:02 pm 

That is great! Good job, AH.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:59 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I often drink a glass of red wine or a strong coffee or a cocktail when I feel like smoking. I think I need the strong taste (and I definitely enjoy the buzz!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Day 22*! WOOHOO!!!!

I don't know what's different this time around, but I definitely FEEL quit this time. I've finally stopped coughing-up that awful gunk every morning (I call it lung-slugs). I'm sleeping better, I got my sense of smell back... I think food even tastes better now. I've noticed I definitely use less salt.

* I will confess I had a moment of relapse. I don't know what I was thinking. I wasn't upset, stressed, tired or anything; I was having an awesome Friday morning at home last week. I decided yeah I want a cigarette, just a half. I went outside, lit it up, and without even inhaling I was so grossed out that I thought I might vomit. I tossed it without a second thought. So I guess to be fair, I'm day 3. But I'm counting day 22 anyway because... well, because.

I really hope my DH follows suit and quits soon. He's been talking about it, moreso since I've quit. I need him to quit - I simply can't stand the smell on him anymore, it just grosses me out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:47 am 

Always, your 22 days absolutely still count. You ALMOST had a relapse, but you stopped yourself, and you can use that experience later if you have a bad urge.

I'm so happy it is going well for you!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh believe me, even thinking about it makes me feel the chunks rise in my throat.

Thanks Moon. I'm happy too. It's liberating.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

yeeha!! good for you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Almost a month now...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I TOTALLY SMOKED. I think I've smoked a good 10 cigarettes in the past 2 weeks. Why did I do that? I totally want to get back on track. It is sooo easy to fall back into the smoking habit.

Ps. you're awesome, Alwayshungry, don't be an idiot like me!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:12 am 
Seagull of the PPK

but it's never too late to quit again, smoothie. it took me many many many tries before i quit "for good". you're not an idiot, you're a work in progress.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:13 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Smoothie: please don't talk like that. You're not an idiot; like torque said, you're a work in progress. Reassemble your resources. You've done it once, you can do it again. :-)

I smoked for 15 years, and here I am 30 days smoke free. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

it IS pretty idiotic to pick up smoking again! The good part is that I've actually managed to be a party-smoker for a while, without wanting to smoke all of the time - it's only been in the past few days that i've smoked one every day and I think I'll do fine without.

It's crazy that I was a smoker for almost 12 years! (I started when I was 12 and began smoking 20 a day when I was 13, had ten months of being a non-smoker when I was 18 and I just quit again in October last year). I was complaining to my boyfriend, who is a smoker, that I've started taking a liiiittle too many liberties in the past weeks and he was like "yeah, I figured, you don't want to be a smoker. you know you don't. just think about how awesome it is that your hands are warm all of the time!". I didn't realize before, but he's right; my hands are warm now. They used to be cold all of the time. It has definitely been awesome for my health to quit. So now I'm back on track and I have some nicotine gum at home leftover from October, so I will bring that for emergencies. It's definitely better than smoking!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:12 am 

yay! Keep it up Smoothie.

My husband lost a good friend to emphysema, it was very hard to watch him deteriorate so I might be overly supportive on this matter.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

I had decided, after a run during which I could not breathe, that I needed to finally bite the bullet and quit for real. I cut back to only smoking when I drink about 8 months ago, but when I drink it's like no holds barred, whatever, smoke smoke smoke. So I went 2 weeks...and then Mad Men started...and I was weak. Then I went a week again, and then this crazy shiitake happened with my ex... I feel so dumb and awful. I know a lot of people have said that they have had to quit drinking for awhile in order to quit smoking, but I don't wanna do that? Is that terrible?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:55 am 
Not NOT A Furry

allularpunk wrote:
I had decided, after a run during which I could not breathe, that I needed to finally bite the bullet and quit for real. I cut back to only smoking when I drink about 8 months ago, but when I drink it's like no holds barred, whatever, smoke smoke smoke. So I went 2 weeks...and then Mad Men started...and I was weak. Then I went a week again, and then this crazy shiitake happened with my ex... I feel so dumb and awful. I know a lot of people have said that they have had to quit drinking for awhile in order to quit smoking, but I don't wanna do that? Is that terrible?

I hear you. And I totally get it.

It's FINALLY spring-almost-summer weather where I live, and in Winnipeg that means PATIO SEASON and I LOVE going out with friends to punk-shows and to patio-bars in the trendy neighbourhoods, having beers, and enjoying cigarettes. And there's still a part of me that wishes I could be a "smoke only when I'm drinking" kind of person. But I can't. I've tried. It doesn't work. And I'm 40 days smoke-free now, and it's because I spent the first 30 days drinking herbal tea, knitting, and reading murder-mysteries instead of going to the pub and playing darts. (It's also helped that it's been too freaking cold to hang-out outside.)

And I called my TV people and cancelled AMC channel, so I can't watch Mad Men anymore.

Hey... would it help you to register for a road race? You could focus on your training, and it might help-you to stay smoke-free. (I'm thinking of doing the same thing.)

Anyways, stay hopeful and keep trying. It's worth it, I promise!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next