| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Quitting/Wanting to Quit Smoking Support Thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:12 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

good for you for still wanting to quit smoothie. Keep trying. i don't know anything about ecigs, but like Mrs Badmouth also had to change habits (for me driving was the worst, and that late night one. I had to change both in my daily routine- always have a passenger in the car, and not read before bed anymore.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

smoothie wrote:
Okay, I am totally sucking at this. Have any of you tried e-cigarettes? I am seriously considering getting one. I am thinking about getting one and just buying the 6 mg nicotine "juice" and then buying a few without nicotine and see if I can cut down my nicotine intake with the first bottle of "juice" and then just smoking the nicotine free "juice" until I've gone through the 3 weeks of nicotine withdrawals and then quit that.

I've always had more time and energy when I've quit smoking before, but I'm running on 10-12 hour days most days right now and that's how it will be until late june. So I can't imagine that I can just quit cold turkey..

My mother switched to an e-cig last summer, after being a smoker for almost 40 years (she couldn't even quit while pregnant). She has had tremendous success with it, she says it makes quitting so easy it feels like having a cheat code. The e-liquid she uses does have nicotine, but her consumption dropped very very quickly and at least it doesn't have any of the tar and other crepe of tobacco.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:42 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Thanks to e-cigs, I have not had a real cigarette since NOVEMBER. I feel 1000000000% better all the time.

And that one in November, was half of a co-workers one half drunken night. Hadn't had a real one in about a month at that point. I felt like utter crepe the next day. Coughing up gross stuff, my hair smelled. Ugh. Never again.

I highly recommend using them to help you quit. There are appox. a million different kinds out there. My SO and I like the Fin brand. They always have coupons online, and they sell them at wall-mart and wall greens. We like them because they are small (not like some vapes) and are not crazy flavors. Menthol is the craziest you get. They literally can fit in your pocket, and if you lose one, they are not expensive. http://www.fincigs.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:58 am 
WELFARIST!

Bumping this thread.

On Monday I will not have had a cigarette in a month. I didn't even really decide to try to really (really) quit until a week had gone by - I had visited my parents and don't smoke around them, then immediately went out of town with T, and I don't smoke around him, then this crazy job started and I was too exhausted to think about anything other than work, so it just sort of happened. I'm pumped about it, and now that it's been this long, I really don't want to smoke anymore, even when I'm upset (my biggest trigger). I can breathe! But last night I had a dream that I smoked a ton of cigarettes! In my dream, I was mad at myself because I just threw away a whole month of non-smoking and was going to have to start over. Which is basically how my 'quitting' pattern was going in real life up until now: quit for a week, then get stressed and buy a pack, try to quit again once that pack was empty. In the dream I was coughing so much, which I do not miss. I was so relieved when I woke up and realized it didn't really happen! I guess this means I'm in it for good. I will be around smokers today, though (and drinking). Going to do my best to not take a hit. I feel so much better, I don't want to start again.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

High five AP! Even if you slip, you can stop again. One smoke in a week is a big difference to your body, right? But, if you want to stop totally you totally can and I believe in you and HIGH ALL THE FIVES!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:09 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Yay, AP! Keep it up!

The guy I'm seeing is trying to quit smoking and it is so hard when he gives in a buys a pack (he's doing really well, I think) to not smoke a couple- especially since I know if I do, he won't, and that'll be less he's smoking. Suggestions on avoiding partaking when it becomes a three/four day problem every two weeks? It doesn't seem so bad, but it totally is and it's making me want to start back up.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:14 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I would always quit for like a week or 5 days.... I'm doing my best now- today is day number 20!!! Longest I've ever gone. I prepped myself:
*write a goodbye letter to cigs (seriously TRY IT)
*carry a lil kids purse around with hard/gummy candies (i eat the shiitake outta those candies especially around smokers!)
*wrote out a spell
*made a list of good/better habits i could replace my smoking ones with- do some yoga, just breathing deeply, eat-even eating crepe is better for u than smoking lol

MissD- i always justified smoking after a week or so with "well i proved i can quit, it won't hurt"-but realized that its been 6 yrrs of that mentallity and its gotten me nowhere, maybe that could help? I don't know im still in the first month stage but i totally feel different this time! thank god my bf is a nonsmoker. thats a challenge. good luck!!!! Remember we are in control! not the Cig!
and most companies animal test so keep that in mind. think of the sweet rats. i love rats :)

APunk- i saw your thing on drinking.. i didnt quit drinking. i would just eat my candy and instead of a cig take another shot. is that horrible? maybe. did i get wasted? yes. but i told everyone they could punch me if i asked for a cig if i was too drunk. made sure everyone knew im quitting and they supported me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:07 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Woo hoo guys! keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:33 pm 
WELFARIST!

I didn't smoke that day! Or any days since! Seriously, I've been doing a cardio barre class, and there is NO WAY I could do what I've been doing as a smoker. I'm really proud of myself!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:08 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yeah! Way to go, AP!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:39 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm saying no! I had a night where the smell just got to me so badly- he just reeked after a single cigarette. I'm using whatever possible thing I can think of to not smoke and it's working.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:29 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

High five MissD! High five AP!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

Thanks! I feel so much better. I can't believe it's been almost 6 weeks. I'm realizing that I'll never be that person who can have just one now and then. I guess that's not so surprising...I've always been an all or nothing type of person.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

The stuff is addictive, that's kind of the idea, amirite?

Be happy that you aren't able yo have "just one" - you'll be a lot less tempted to slip.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Moon wrote:
High five MissD! High five AP!

Ditto! You guys are doing great.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:45 am 
Tofu Pup

I don't usually post, but thought I would because Allan Carr's book "Easy Way to Quit Smoking" really helped me. I'd "quit" for about 10 years but continued to smoke socially and in situations that were potentially stressful or dangerous (I have a sort of unusual job). I didn't want to keep smoking, but I found that whenever I was around certain friends -- or new people who I wanted to connect with -- or when I was in a situation that took me out of my normal context and forced me to use my concentration points on getting other stuff done, I would bum smokes or buy a pack. Although I never crossed back to the pack-a-day habit, I smoked regularly, probably seven to 30 cigarettes a week, depending on the situation. Then, a chain-smoking friend quit cold turkey. When I said I wanted to quit, he said "when you read this, you will." It worked for me, and I'll never go back. So, if you really do want to quit, this book is the best 10 bucks you'll ever spend. By the way, this isn't an advertisement. The book isn't a work of art. But it gets the job done. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:45 am 
Tofu Pup

I read Allan Carr's book a number of time. Found his material just repeated itself too often for me to actually take it in. I'd usually end up rolling my eyes.

I went to TURF in Toronto this year, and having been able to take time off work, I just decided to quit the night before I left for the Fest. Suffered through the festival, though, the music helped - but the large clouds of cigarette and marijuana smoke made it extremely uncomfortable at times.

It's been almost three months, though.

Cold turkey.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I also read Alan Carr's book and didn't get much from it.

I quit for over three years then started again in June. Today is day one of quitting again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:02 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Yesterday was my 1 MONTH!! I've been attempting to run/jog with my dog and am actually improving! I haven't been able to run since elementary school so this is big news :D Just feeling the fresh air fill my lungs is so forking awesome and my dogs lovin life too. So happy. And It was my mom's 3 years cig free this week. Life is good.

and congrats Blondie. U can do it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:26 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

all of you gorgeous turkeys, cold or otherwise, congratulations and keep up the good work!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yes, keep up the good work, everyone! I'm to the point where cigarette smoke grosses me out. I feel like I hypocrite when I'm, like, gagging over it and trying to get away from people who are smoking, but really...it smells so bad and chokes me now. I was at a wedding last week and went outside for air, but EVERYONE was smoking. I was trying to talk to some of the smokers because they're my friends, but I had to walk away after awhile.

Everyone was smoking like crazy in Mexico, too. I know my major triggers are emotional and not really circumstantial, and that I've been feeling pretty good, so have been less triggered, but I really hope this sticks.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:31 pm 
Chip Strong

Well done everyone, I wish you much success.

I quit many moons ago - back when you could still smoke everywhere, but Mr.Jean quit just over a year ago, I'm still so proud of him. He found the Thrive nicotine gum immensely helpful. We're lucky that the provincial government will give you a 3 month supply for free, if you're trying to quit. I wish that sort of program was offered everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:50 am 
Nailed to the V

I recently started smoking again after years of not smoking because I'm feeling stressed all the time and cigarettes seem to help with that. I feel like all my hard work quitting before was pointless. Argh, I need to knock this on the head. It's such a ridiculous habit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:55 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Aww Rosie that sucks to hear. I would probably beat myself up if I started too but u really shouldn't. Cigs are an evil drug but I know u can do it! It took my mom like at least 10 times before she actually quit for good so don't feel bad. Maybe try to think of other things that help destress u? Reading or doing yoga soothes me. My mom did search-n-finds and crossword puzzles like it was goin out of style. And your work wasn't pointless- u went years without one! That's a major forking accomplishment. Think of how your body would feel if u never quit in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:45 pm 
WELFARIST!

Rosie, my most recent bout of smoking was after having quit for a year. It does feel discouraging, but you can quit again if you want to!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6