| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mental Health Meds Side Effect Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm sorry, I just had to make this thread because damn this side of the medication sucks so bad and some of the side effects are just so mortifying that they can't be talked about with just anyone.

I'm inflicted with many aromas at the moment. I've been doing some serious sweating, mostly my feet. I've started putting homemade deodorant on them and changing my socks at lunch time but now the skin is actually peeling off them. The best advice I can get off the internet is to wear open sandals and no socks but I can't do that for work. Usually my feet are proper soaking wet within a few short hours.

I started another tablet on Friday and it's changed the smell of my ummmm poop and wee. Thanks to it's anticholinergic effects I don't poop as often (I'm now a once a day gal) which is great but man to my farts stink. Like proper toxic stuff. I'm going to be spending the day running to the loo at work because they are frequent enough too.

Also, despite drinking tons of water my wee smells sooooo concentrated. I still go to the toilet a healthy amount of times and drinking plenty. But I also think I'm leaking during the day. When I was changing this evening I caught a whiff of my trousers and I was mortified. Like I could smell concentrated wee on them. I'm appalled. I work as a nurse. I can't be smelling like this!!!!!!

So yeah, there's my rant for today.

Post subject: Re: Mental Health Meds Side Effect Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you noticed other strong-smelling things? Maybe (hopefully) it's the meds messing with your sense of smell? ETA: sorry, that's probably not a helpful comment! I'm not trying to cast doubt on your experience, and it does sound mortifying. I was just thinking about whether there was another alternative.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Could be an explanation for it alright. Although, I think I've gotten to the bottom of it. So today I was super careful about going to the toilet frequently and making sure my bladder was fully empty, gave myself a quick swipe with a wet wipe mid morning then at lunch had a quick dunk in the shower. So to not bore you with work stories the short story is...... smell of wee wasn't from me.... it was someone else and I had sat in a dodgy chair.

Still sweating a fair bit especially on my feet. Thank God for allspice though because that is making my feet smell really nice. I think I am going to have to rotate my shoes during the work day though because the soles of them were soaking by this evening.

As for the wind...... not present today so maybe my intestines are settling down a bit!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

daisychain wrote:
I'm appalled. I work as a nurse. I can't be smelling like this!!!!!!
daisychain wrote:
smell of wee wasn't from me.... it was someone else and I had sat in a dodgy chair.

Haha I was just about to suggest it could be / people would assume it would be from someone else.

My meds definitely affect my sense of taste, and presumably smell as well.

As for feet, I know I've read that people suggest having at least 2 pairs of shoes and rotating them daily to make sure they dry out properly, if that helps any?

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:37 am 
Saggy Butt

daisychain wrote:
I'm sorry, I just had to make this thread because damn this side of the medication sucks so bad and some of the side effects are just so mortifying that they can't be talked about with just anyone.

Also, despite drinking tons of water my wee smells sooooo concentrated. I still go to the toilet a healthy amount of times and drinking plenty. But I also think I'm leaking during the day. When I was changing this evening I caught a whiff of my trousers and I was mortified. Like I could smell concentrated wee on them. I'm appalled. I work as a nurse. I can't be smelling like this!!!!!!

So yeah, there's my rant for today.

Maybe you are loosing more water than you think from sweating so that's making it more concentrated?
At least you have been proactive and have found a way around it :-)

π

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:15 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh very true about the water loss via sweat. Didn't even think about that.

I actually swap shoes every day anyway. I have different shoes for different outfits. I've started keeping a spare pair in the car now incase the shoes are too wet with sweat during the day.

Also had my first OMG MY MOUTH IS LIKE THE SAHARA day yesterday so I spent the day sucking sweets. Now that in itself is a massive chore. I'm a biter.... put something in my mouth and I will bite and/or chew so sucking on the sweets was a massive learning curve for me. It did help though.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:51 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I get really thirsty from the lithium. And shaky from something - probably also lithium. Sometimes it's so bad that I have a hard time eating because I can't get the food to my mouth. And lately I've been having memory problems.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:55 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

If you get shaky from lithium, I think that's a sign that your level is too high. Maybe do an extra test of the lithium concentration in your blood?

I got used to having a dry mouth really fast after I started taking an SSRI. The downside to that is I forget that I need to take care of my teeth better!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:15 am 

No, my levels are okay. I'm on a low dose anyway- 600mg. It could also be my higher dose of Wellbutrin. Or a combination of meds, I'm on five.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've had many patients that had problems with shaking. It is one horrible side effect. There is a tablet that helps with it though so maybe talk to your doctor about it the next time and they might be able to prescribe something especially if it is bad enough to effect you eating.

Oh man, the memory sucks. Although I'm never sure if it is the meds or the way my brain is because when I was doing well and on only a small amount of tablets my memory was getting back to the way it was.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm at that stage where side-effects are worth bearing with. After seeing a big improvement the past 2 days in my health AND the past few days the sweating has been a lot less!

Oh, and a positive side-effect.... thanks to the anti-cholinergic effects of the amitryptilline I now only poop once a day which means I can tolerate having weetabix a lot more often. Seriously, before having it two days running would cause some major loo-roll usage for a few days. This week I have had it every single day and I've only gone once (occasionally twice) a day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:46 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I was recently prescribed Wellbutrin to boost my Prozac a bit, and the dry mouth really threw me off! I'm lucky in that I usually don't experience side effects. I couldn't figure out what was going on, why I'm so thirsty and my breath is so bad. It's helping me so enormously though that I'm just going to have to deal with it. Has anyone tried one of those oral rinses? I've got some gum and hard candy that I will be enjoying more frequently, and I've been drinking a ton of water.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:25 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I shook all the time on Wellbutrin. The only thing that helped was having a drink, which is obviously not a healthy coping mechanism.

I had scary and very frustrating memory lapses in my first two months of Cipralex. Fortunately, I am now feeling sharper, but I have night sweats pretty much every night and often feel feverish during the day, so that's fun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:18 am 

My shakiness seems to have gotten better but I've been taking klonopin more often so that is probably helping a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I find with the dry mouth is to drink plenty of fluids and keep hard sweets to hand, especially minty ones. I don't have as much problems with dry mouth since I keep so hydrated.

The constipation side effect has worn off. I miss it. I am nearly tempted to ask for an increase in dose of my amitryptiline so I can go to the toilet only once a day again. My mental health is so stable that I have no further appointments with the psych. Although she did find it amusing how much I ended up loving that side effect because I could eat all the brown bread and fibre rich cereals I wanted.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:44 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

daisychain wrote:
My mental health is so stable that I have no further appointments with the psych.

That's great! I remember the day my psychiatrist said "I don't think I need to see you any more" - it was a wonderful feeling!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:58 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

jogirl wrote:
daisychain wrote:
My mental health is so stable that I have no further appointments with the psych.

That's great! I remember the day my psychiatrist said "I don't think I need to see you any more" - it was a wonderful feeling!

Agreed. I know I may return eventually, because life changes and I change, but it feels good to hit the "maintenance" stage.

I'm on 100mg zoloft and I can relate to the dry mouth and night sweats others have mentioned. And no sex drive, but since I quit my birth control pills a month ago that seems to be making a slight return. Whatever the side effects, it has been more than worth it for me, because I've learned (over and over again) that I cannot function without my psych meds. And I'm finally okay with that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:27 am 

I can't imagine not going to the psychiatrist. But I'm on two controlled substances so I have to get a written prescription every month so not going is not an option, at least as long as I'm on those meds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:23 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You would be surprised blondie, I've seen people after years and years of regular appointments for serious mental illness getting discharged. There is always the likelihood that they will return at some point but here if a person has been stable for a reasonable amount of time depending on their history they can be discharged.

My psych didn't discharge me, she is leaving me on her books so that if I do relapse it can be dealt with a lot more quickly rather than going through the referral process again. I finally get some kind of a perk from my job. I've to go back for a medication review if I get pregnant or am planning to get pregnant but she said that it would be more to make sure I stay stable that my medication are fine for pregnancy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:55 am 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

daisychain wrote:
smell of wee wasn't from me.... it was someone else and I had sat in a dodgy chair.

Reading this, I was like "yaaaay! Ohhhh... ooohhhhhh..."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Had a bit of a finishing college depression (apparently it is common thing) and my meds were increased last week. Now I caught it early enough so that I'm not too bad but man..... the sweating I have had the past few days is ridiculous. My newly washed hair nearly needed rewashing after washing the dishes. The slightest bit of exertion is causing major sweating and most of it is on my head so it is super obvious.

The constipation unfortunately eased up today and I didn't even get to binge eat on brown bread yet because I haven't had the motivation to make it.