| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clinical trials?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:13 pm 
And you never will.

My insurance effectively covers nothing, and I can't afford to get a diagnosis and/or treatment for the depression that I'm pretty sure I have. There is a place locally that advertises all the time about "free" depression treatment, which of course means participating in clinical trials. I'm wary of going for a consultation because I feel like they'll try to push whatever drugs on me they want to test, regardless of whether I need them or if they would be the best ones for me, but I don't know. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Anyone have thoughts or experiences with something like this?

Post subject: Re: Clinical trials?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I participated in one clinical trial and have applied for two others. They have strict criteria for who qualifies and who doesn't, at least the ones I've dealt with. I don't think they want anyone who doesn't meet their criteria. If you have more questions you can PM me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

In my experience, the organizers for clinical trials have been very respectful because you are actually a super important part of their research. Also, you usually have to fit into a very specific category to be eligible to participate, so I think its unlikely that they would be pushy. It can't hurt to call them up and ask for more information about the study, and then you can decide if it would benefit you.
This website may also be helpful for you to consider the risks and benefits: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/studies/clinicaltrials

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Many hugs to you poopieb. It doesn't hurt to look into the clinical trials and ask how you will be assigned the medication if any and what the control group would be receiving. I would ask if the control group was given a standard anti-depressant or talk therapy, or if they were getting a placebo, you know? And I would want to know how I would be monitored and what would happen if I had negative side effects - ie at what point would the researchers decide not to proceed.

I am sure there are safeguards in place, and once you know what they are, you might feel more comfortable participating or you might decide that another study provides you with more safeguards.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:41 pm 
And you never will.

Thanks so much for the response you guys. I don't know why I was so skeptical, I mean we all rely on the results of clinical trials in modern medicine so it follows that participating in one wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

I will contact them and get more information. If I think of any specific questions I may PM you blondiefk, thank you for the offer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:44 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

my mom has been involved in a clinical trial for a while now. it's not giving medicine, but she's getting nutrition and exercise coaching and counseling for people who have had breast cancer and it's been pretty great. of course, you could also end up in a placebo group, but they might still have some resources available to you that you don't have access to now. i know in a lot of clinical trials that i've read, the placebo group receives the treatment after the trial is done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My gastric bypass surgery was sort of a clinical trial in that we were the guinea pigs for setting up and implementing the program for people meeting certain criteria. It was amazing and far better care than I'd have had under normal circumstances (ie had I gone even to Georgetown Univeristy Hospital instead, which was my other option).

I think it all just varies, but I wouldn't hesitate to inquire.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:20 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

ijustdiedinside wrote:
but she's getting nutrition and exercise coaching and counseling for people who have had breast cancer

I was in a control group for a study liKe this. The study leader gave the control group tools as well even though we didn't meet weekly like the main group. It was an immensely positive experience.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:24 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I was in a clinical trial years ago (for an anti-depressant, actually), and I dropped out because it became inconvenient (I got a job across town and they wanted to see me at least once a week). If you have side effects that you feel are worse than any potential benefit from the medication, you can just drop out. It's an expected outcome - they might try to convince you to keep on, but they report (or at least are meant to) on people who drop out and why.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

There are really strict ethical guidelines for these studies. They legally can't pressure you, and it's their job to explain any risks very thoroughly. Sometimes people suck at their jobs, but in general the system is set up in a way that's supposed to protect participants.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

mollyjade wrote:
There are really strict ethical guidelines for these studies. They legally can't pressure you, and it's their job to explain any risks very thoroughly. Sometimes people suck at their jobs, but in general the system is set up in a way that's supposed to protect participants.

Yes, this. (Spoken as someone who has to heed ethical boards for social science research, and who collaborates with people who actually have to follow medical ethical board guidelines. Dudes are strict and they are NOT allowed to intentionally cause you harm. If it helps to see something concrete, I have to complete training like this every 2 years: https://phrp.nihtraining.com/users/login.php and actual NIH/medical employees have to do something weightier, like this: https://ethics.od.nih.gov/training.htm )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

If you decide to do this, you will receive an informed consent form describing your role and your treatment. To proceed, you will have to sign this form and agree to everything it mentions. If you agree, great!, enjoy your clinical trial. If you don't, no sweat, you can leave with 0 remorse. You will also receive background info. describing the purpose of the study, whatever thing they're investigating and testing, and - at the end - a debriefing packet which will explain what just happened. The informed consent forms for clinical trials (and other med. research) that I've seen are a lot like drug info packets, insofar as they explain desired outcomes and expected side effects. The researchers are really, really on your side --- and if you think they're not, or are doing something fishy, then there are ways to report it and hold them accountable. (I only know of such routes in NL off the top of my head, but I could easily find them in the US if you needed to know.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:40 pm 
And you never will.

This is amazing, thank you so much! I went from (dumbly) assuming it was sketchy to being much better informed, thanks to you guys! I will definitely contact them to see if I would be compatible for one of their programs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Good luck poopie! I hope you get the support you need <3

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:18 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

If the clinical trial doesn't pan out, do you have a regular/primary care doctor that you see? They couldn't help you with therapy but they can do a basic diagnosis and prescribe anti-depressants. When I didn't have health insurance, I was able to go through community mental health, which was a huge annoyance but got me the meds I needed- maybe something like that is available in your area, too. Depression sucks really bad, I hope you are able to get the help you need very soon.