| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VEgans with cancer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:57 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Last year, someone close to me who was an 11 year vegan was diagnosed with cancer. There was a strange reaction from at least one other vegan I know, almost a sense of "what are you doing wrong?" I Blame the China Study, at least in part, for some people acting like you must be a closet meat eater or something if you are vegan and get cancer. THe other big issue is the absolute lack of support from the local cancer Treatment hospital if you are a vegan. THe dietician pretty much said if you don't like the hospital food then get your own. THat may be fine if you are just in the hospital for a day or two, but not if you are hospitalized for months. I just wondered if there are other vegans out there with similar experiences?

Post subject: Re: VEgans with cancer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:29 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

To the first part of that, yes media, social media, the China study, doctor Oz all make it seem like a huge failing if you get cancer. It must be something you did to yourself and it's awful and very harmful.

As a dietitian in a Healthcare facility, we try our very best to accommodate dietary needs, but sometimes it's not possible and we encourage people to bring in their own food to supplement to ensure they have enough variety. If the RD was actually rude like that it's a big problem and your friend should complain. If they just told them that they don't have vegan food there, that's different. Most hospitals nowadays have really great variety, but I guess not every place has caught on. I cant eat any food where I work except for salad, none of our bread is even vegan. It doesn't necessarily sound like the RD wasn't supportive of your friends diet, maybe just being realistic. Either way, it sucks, and the hospital should probably get on board and order some vegan options if your friend will be there for months. Maybe they can complain to the administration or food service director about it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:29 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

To the first part of that, yes media, social media, the China study, doctor Oz all make it seem like a huge failing if you get cancer. It must be something you did to yourself and it's awful and very harmful.

As a dietitian in a Healthcare facility, we try our very best to accommodate dietary needs, but sometimes it's not possible and we encourage people to bring in their own food to supplement to ensure they have enough variety. If the RD was actually rude like that it's a big problem and your friend should complain. If they just told them that they don't have vegan food there, that's different. Most hospitals nowadays have really great variety, but I guess not every place has caught on. I cant eat any food where I work except for salad, none of our bread is even vegan. It doesn't necessarily sound like the RD wasn't supportive of your friends diet, maybe just being realistic. Either way, it sucks, and the hospital should probably get on board and order some vegan options if your friend will be there for months. Maybe they can complain to the administration or food service director about it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I had thyroid cancer--tomorrow is actually the two year anniversary of my thyroidectomy. I didn't receive any such comments from other vegans (not that I know any in real life), but one armchair nutritionist recited a list of things I shouldn't be eating. I told him I eat healthier than anyone I know. And then I mentally walked away, as I was really really tired at the time and couldn't go anywhere.

To be fair I don't exactly like that armchair nutritionist on a good day, so....