| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lasik
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm glad it went well for you! Everyone I have talked to around here says Dr. Travers is one of the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:22 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi! I am hoping to get LASIK soon and I just wanted to ask for advice about having to take potentially non-vegan antibiotics/eye drops afterwards? I have not taken any sort of medication or even over-the-counter stuff since going vegan (luckily I've been super healthy). I tried to discuss it with the surgeon when I went in for my consultation, and he didn't know if any of the drops contained animal ingredients or were tested on animals, but he said that aside from the Ativan to relax me before the procedure (which he said I could opt out of if I preferred) that all of antibiotic eye drops and other stuff are necessary if I want the surgery. I tried writing to the companies that make the prescriptions they said I would need for after the procedure, but none of the companies responded, and then I found out that the actual prescription would be for generics so even if they do eventually answer, it would end up being for a different product. My vision is not terrible (20/200 in both eyes) but I really want to get my eyes fixed because I hate wearing my glasses. I'm scared about the cornea flap and the idea of having surgery (the only time I have had surgery of any kind was having my wisdom teeth removed in high school) and it being so expensive (they said it would cost almost $4000), but aside from all of the regular surgery fears and concerns, I just wanted to try to ask other vegans whether they think LASIK is okay from a vegan standpoint because I'm very worried. Thank you for the input!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:33 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Seriously, I didn't even think about the vegan aspect, but I think for me in retrospect it's definitely more vegan friendly than continuing on with my contacts and all the solutions that go with that. You get the LASIK and you use the drops for maybe a week (I forget already) and that's it. The two kinds I had were like the tiniest eye drop bottles ever.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for answering! I am going to start the antibiotic drops tomorrow and I my surgery is scheduled for Friday. I still haven't heard back from any of the pharmaceutical companies I wrote to, but I hope that the drops are okay for vegans to use. I don't wear contacts just my glasses, which I am still a bit worried is the more vegan option than the surgery, but I hate having to wear glasses so much and I really want to be able to see. I'm really nervous about the surgery but also optimistic!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:25 pm 

hurray! the anticipation is totally the worst part because you're convinced it has got to be horrible, but really, there was just some pressure shoving my head down, other than that, no pain! take a huge nap afterwards. it's really amazing to never have to think about contacts or glasses, and sometimes i go to push up my glasses, but they aren't there :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:51 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Good luck! And honestly- just use the drops and/or other meds they give you to use. They have most likely been animal tested, but, it's surgery. When it comes to surgery and its associated products, there's really nothing you can do.

Try not to be nervous; it sounds worse than it is. I don't remember much from mine (it was 10 years ago), but I know it wasn't bad at all and it was over quickly. And then I was done with contacts!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:26 pm 

hey avocado! i hope everything went well :)

sunday is 6 months since my surgery and i'm so happy i did it.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3