| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Depo Provera The Needle any thoughts or experiences?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been considering going back on Depo Provera until I can get the sterilization thing worked out. But I remember going off it for a reasons I cannot seem to recall.

I was wondering what everyone else's experiences were like.

Post subject: Re: Depo Provera The Needle any thoughts or experiences?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:10 pm 
Human Gravy

I tried it when I was 18 (10 years ago). I remember the injection site being really sore for several days, and feeling really tired during that time. While on it I spotted constantly, but the biggest problem was that I became EXTREMELY depressed. I have heard similar things from others, but I imagine it is different for the emotionally stable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:13 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I remember hearing in..a women and gender studies class (? I don't remember, somewhere) that it has the most weight gain associated of any birth control methods. And me and my shallow self decided that was enough to rule it out.

But I also know at least one person who is on it and loves it with no problems at all and wants to be on it until all of her bones are gone because it's so great.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah, I remember it being a shitty year when I was on it.
But I can't recall if that was the needle's doing or the engagement etc.

I do remember i had annoying spotting and no sex drive which would be nice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:55 pm 
Cranky

It's a bad idea for long-term use because it can mess with your bone density. I had a total of one shot while I was waiting for my Essure test, and though I spotted a lot, I didn't have any particularly nasty side effects.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my doc told me she discourages anyone overweight from getting it because they will most likely gain weight. i think this means she only gives it to unsuspecting skinny girls.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:19 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I was on it for 5 years, regular spotting so they said I had plenty of estrogen and my bones should be ok. I gained weight while on it but had other health stuff going on. My friend swears it caused her weight gain problem, which has never settled. I developed PCOS type symptoms after coming off it which never settled so I don't know if it was masking the problems or caused it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:48 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Is there a reason why you wouldn't consider an IUD? Or perhaps the NuvaRing? I have not tried the shot, but I have heard it's not so hot (the bone density thing Apricot mentioned is a big one).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:01 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

jordanpattern wrote:
Is there a reason why you wouldn't consider an IUD? Or perhaps the NuvaRing? I have not tried the shot, but I have heard it's not so hot (the bone density thing Apricot mentioned is a big one).

i saw a dr oz show where he talked to a gyno who interviewed a bunch of gynos and most of them said they would most likely choose the nuva ring for themselves.

i've never heard anyone say anything good about depo. i'm sorry - i know you're having troubles getting baby proofed :/

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

yeah i've been on it before.

I just really do like the whole IUD idea, I would rather avoid hormones, but the insertion of IUDS and the icky copper thing just bugs me too much. Insertion and cramping pain are bad as is.

I was thinking about the fact that it would lower the sex drive etc as an added bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:45 pm 
Chard Martyr

I was on it for four years. No period at ALL, which was awesome. Weight gain, which sucked. Still don't have my period back, and I've been off of it for two years. I had no problems with injection site soreness (except at that exact time they injected me), but now I have slight tissue damage on one side, even though they rotated sites every time. I loved it at the time for the ease of the whole thing (I was extremely irresponsible with birth control at the time, so this was a good option for me) and the pros outweighed the cons.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:04 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

But, Depo is hormones, no?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

What about the implant? The one they put in under your skin?

My sister was on it because she has PCOS, and the doctor recommend it to help alleviate symptoms. But she gained weight, was depressed, and when she got off it it took her a long time to get her period back. Not a typical case, obviously.

Also, its the same drug they use to chemically castrate sex offenders. That trivia kinda freaks me out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:19 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

jordanpattern wrote:

Yeah...Depo is hormones. Mirena IUD is hormones. Copper-T is not.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

On it for a year and a half when I was 18-19, so 10 years ago. Only stopped because I lost my health insurance, after I got it back, I switched to low dose ortho tri-cyclen because injections freak me the fork out. Depo put probably 10 pounds on my then-95-to-100-pound frame. I've been really, really (!) depressed since I was in 6 or 7 years old; on Depo, I noticed absolutely no change in my mood whatsoever. I also had no period and no spotting, which was SO FANTASTIC.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:21 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I think that's what she's saying, she'd rather avoid hormones if she could, but the idea of an IUD bugs her too much.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jordanpattern wrote:

it is. It won't be my full time solution but i'm debating trying it again while I try to find something that I do like.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fee wrote:
I think that's what she's saying, she'd rather avoid hormones if she could, but the idea of an IUD bugs her too much.

Actually what Fee said is exactly it.

See insertion is gonna hurt like hell and suck, then potential cramping/pain until it settles.. then if it continues to be a problem (or until 5 years later when it needs to be changed) the removal and insertion will suck again followed by more killer cramps and periods with possible worst cramps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:41 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

B_A_D wrote:
Fee wrote:

Actually what Fee said is exactly it.

See insertion is gonna hurt like hell and suck, then potential cramping/pain until it settles.. then if it continues to be a problem (or until 5 years later when it needs to be changed) the removal and insertion will suck again followed by more killer cramps and periods with possible worst cramps.

I see.

I would look into nuvaring if I were you. I used it for about a year and LOVED it. It is hormonal, true, but it has a lower dose than other methods (save the Mirena). It's very user friendly, and you won't have to worry about going in to a clinic and getting a shot every couple months. It's relatively cheap as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

yeah I might look into it. In the end it doesn't matter which method I use they all carrying the risk of being ineffective and therefore super creepy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:16 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I tried it about five years ago. I didn't gain any weight or notice any mood swings. I stopped using it because I couldn't stand the "spotting," which was more like a light period for three weeks a month. I also had, um, lubrication problems.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I was on it for over a year. I've always struggled with my weight (am over-weight) and gained on the shot. I liked not having my period while on it. It took a while to have a period again which terrified me (kept thinking I was pregnant).

Every body reacts differently to birth control. I found that I am highly sensitive to most forms.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I was on it for two years. I loved only having to worry about getting a shot every 3 months; if I had had to be responsible for taking a pill everyday at that time, I would be a (rather shitty) mommy right now. After about a year I lost my period altogether, no spotting, and that rocked too. After the first shot, I was super careful about what I ate and lost five pounds. After 6 months, I'd gained 20. Can't really say that was totally the Depo's fault of course, but that's been the biggest reason I've never gotten bak on it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:00 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

B_A_D wrote:
I was thinking about the fact that it would lower the sex drive etc as an added bonus.

If it's no sex drive you're looking for, I was on the nuva ring for a few months 2 years ago, and I don't think I had sex more than once the whole time. Just not interested whatsoever.

I've also not heard anything good about depo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:57 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I love my Depo. I have no period or spotting at all, and I only have to think about it once every 3 months. I find how sore I am at the injection sight depends on how good the person giving me the shot is. With some people I'll bruise and be sore for days, but if someone good does it, I don't even feel the needle go in and I can't tell where the injection sight was. I don't seem to have any negative side affects from it, although I do worry about the bone density thing.